Disney -wants Lucas back...

Reaction score
For me, I hope George stays away for his own sake. In an ideal world, he would of never sold it to them in the first place. But he did, that's reality.

Because now he would simply be an employ, not the owner/creator. He would have to report to someone, and they would have the final say regardless of his input. I am content with what he has made, and to me that will always be SW.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure GL likes being in a position of an employee where he is not in complete control. I also agree he should never have sold SW. With that said, If GL were involved the stories moving forward might have some originality to them and with a single vision we might end up with a trilogy where each episode is connected and with some consistency to each other.

Reaction score
I mean, if the Prequels are any indication (I know some enjoy them - to each their own - and even in ways I do...but...), I'm not really sure I want Lucas back. But then you combo that with how he'd be a pawn of Disney now, and while I personally think some of the Disney films are far superior to the prequels (not all), having Lucas and Disney try to combine for a film series would be like having Yoda and Palpatine try to cooperate. It'll just end in the destruction of democracy. =P

Utinniii

Reaction score
I will be forever indebted to Lucas for that amount of joy he has brought into my life. I think he has literally changed the world and that is amazing.

That being said, I don't need him to be involved in SW anymore. The first 2 movies were the best, mostly because he listened to others so they were collaborative. After that, things went downhill as he just wanted to share his singular vision, untainted by other perspectives.

Reaction score
I mean, if the Prequels are any indication (I know some enjoy them - to each their own - and even in ways I do...but...), I'm not really sure I want Lucas back. But then you combo that with how he'd be a pawn of Disney now, and while I personally think some of the Disney films are far superior to the prequels (not all), having Lucas and Disney try to combine for a film series would be like having Yoda and Palpatine try to cooperate. It'll just end in the destruction of democracy. =P
You know how I feel about PT haters/ST lovers. 😊 "(Their) eyes can deceive you, dont trust them".

I do agree though, GL should stay away. I'm sure he'd try to write cohesive stories and would bring some original ideas but Di$ney holding veto power would be a recipe for disaster.

Reaction score
Lucas is a has-been. He changed film, for better or worse, but he has nothing more to offer.

Reaction score
^^^
Without a reply to confirm, I'm assuming this is pointed towards my request.

I don't think we've ever seen eye to eye. Sounds like you have at least one answer to my question. Please, enlighten me.

GNT

Reaction score
I thank George Lucas for the original films but his days are over and I really don’t want him back. The prequels weren’t that great (not saying the ST is great either) so I’d rather see someone else try.

Id take Filoni any day, he seems to care a lot about SW and likes to tie it all in perfectly.

Reaction score
Honestly i think I'd take Favreau over Filoni! While he does have passion for the franchise, and willingness to utilize EU characters, some of his idea are just plain lame.

The spinning copter Sabers are what pushed him over the edge, and now cannot take him serious. Perhaps if he scaled back those aspects I'd be more open to him running a new show, or even a spin-off movie.

Reaction score
GL never left. While he does not control the day to day he still is one of Disney’s biggest stock holders & has a great deal to say on what happens.

Disney being the machine that it is has been quick to disregard Lucas’ ideas, 1st to give him credit when it suits them. But ultimately GL himself doesn’t seem happy with what Disney has done. No one would blame him if he didn’t want to come back. He’ll get his payday reguardless of wheather Star Wars does well.

Reaction score
Wasn't excited bro. Was truly curious.

Quoting the person you're responding to, especially 12 posts later would help eliminate confusion.
Not really my concern. But thanks for the tip.

Honestly i think I'd take Favreau over Filoni! While he does have passion for the franchise, and willingness to utilize EU characters, some of his idea are just plain lame.

The spinning copter Sabers are what pushed him over the edge, and now cannot take him serious. Perhaps if he scaled back those aspects I'd be more open to him running a new show, or even a spin-off movie.
Filoni AND Favreau seem to be a pretty good team. I'd love to see more from them when they're done with Mando. I definitely am not one of those on the "GIVE THEM THE WHOLE FRANCHISE" bandwagon. They've done something great, but I'd also like to see other voices working in the franchise. (Though, again, Disney. Slow your roll. You don't need thirty Star Wars series going at a time. This is how you burn people out.)

Reaction score
That's an old tires excuse that doesn't cut the musturd with me. lol
I'm not burnt out on Star Wars, I'm disappointed in lame/lazy turnouts in an attempt for quick dollar returns.

If there were 5 ongoing weekly series on par with the Mandalorian, I'd watch every single. Plus, I'd even then subscribe to Disney+!
Same with the movies, whether it be 1 or two per year.

Reaction score
Better than a never-was.

I'm curious on your thoughts on how he changed film for the worse.
He has a direct role in the overreliance on digital effects in cinema, he set a dangerous precedent for auteurs to go back and change things they don't like about their films, and he laid the groundwork for the current state of film.

Reaction score
if not him, it would have been someone else. We're not in the 20's motion picture days anymore. If a person could go back and fix their mistakes, most would unknowing of the consequences of their actions.

As technology progresses we will likely see a lot more. Or he was the that drew the line in the sand people have learned never to cross.
While some people are okay with it, I don't much care for using dead people in Movies. Ala Peter Cushing, or the popular de-aging them.

Utinniii

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with de-aging. It looks better than makeup or old random repurposed footage.

The use of dead actors is problematic with me. I don't think anyone dead should be the Star of a movie, or put into something they were never originally a part of. Putting Robbin Williams in any Disney film would go against his wishes (I think) or actors that hated certain roles should be added now that they are dead.
However, Carrie needed to be in TROS and would have had she lived. Replacing her, or removing her character would have been worse IMO.
In many cases, having a new actor play the role won't matter, but some roles (or actors) are so iconic that a new face will be jarring.

Going forward, actors should specify in their wills how they feel about it.
I also think there needs to be a good reason for it.

Reaction score
He has a direct role in the overreliance on digital effects in cinema, he set a dangerous precedent for auteurs to go back and change things they don't like about their films, and he laid the groundwork for the current state of film.
Thanks for replying. I won't say I'm surprised by either of your answers.

Regarding overreliance on digital effects...
I'm sure you would not find a shortage of folks agreeing with you that GL used a lot of, maybe even too many, digital effects in the PT. I'm not convinced however that other film makers followed his path simply because GL did it first. It's a tool and if a director wants to use it to tell their story, they will. I don't think any director would say, "Hey I could use "X" practical EFX method, but GL used a crap ton of CGI, so can I!" They should use what they think works best for their story, which often is constrained by time and/or budget. Shame on them if they do it just because they feel GL gave them unwritten permission. More importantly, I see it less as GL relying on the tech and more so as pushing the envelope. Doing as much as he could to test the limits. So I'd argue that if he didn't "over do it", we would not have all beautiful artistry we see in many of todays films.

Regarding setting a precedence for reworking films...
I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure GL was not the first. With a quick search I was able to find that Kubrick made changes to 2001 post release. No doubt you could say GLs is taking it to a new level with his multiple versions (Maclunkey!), but it doesn't appear that he is the trail blazer here. As a musician, I do rewrite small parts of my songs, even after I've recorded them. I play them differently live all the time, sometimes because I think of something I like better, sometimes out of boredom, or at times to cover up a mistake. I have also rerecorded tracker years later. Not the perfect analogy, but you get the point. As an artist I understand why he does it. As consumers of that art, it doesn't mean you, I, or anyone has to agree with it. I do long for an mastered version of the original releases like many others.

All in all, I do not think GL changed films for the worse. Regardless of what side of the fence you're on, I would think we could all agree that the world would be a lot different place (as fans, not for the better) if GL didn't make the splash that he did.

Reaction score
Lucas would never work for Disney as anything other than a consultant. I think there's a contract in place that assures that. If you know anything about him outside of Star Wars and Indiana Jones, he is not into making Hollywood Blockbusters, which is Ironic! The only way we will ever see Lucas Star Wars again, is if Disney gives it back to him lock stock and barrel.

Reaction score
Lucas at Disney executives meeting on new SW films: I think you should ( Executives-Stop! ) .......thank you thank you Mr Lucas that’s all we need. New SW movie poster reads based on “ideas from George Lucas“.
That is the only reason they would want Lucas. To attach his name in anyway to there terrible SW projects. 😸

Reaction score
Disney wants Lucas back and so do I, after the lamentable sequel trilogy. They're an indictment on the franchise.

Reaction score
Since the Solo disaster, almost everyday across the net there's some new "very confirmed unofficial unlikely but better believe it rumour because someone's neighbour is the source" of how Disney is about to reshuffle it's SW mentality... And nothing has happened, and Kennedy remains on the iron throne.

Until it's official, all this spectulation has as much worth as the one before and the one tomorrow.

Reaction score
It's really only about people getting views on their channel though, nothing to do with reputable news or genuine interest in sharing it.
There seems to be a dozen new videos every week if not more on various MCU, DCEU or whatever hinting at whatever people might want to see or hear.

Reaction score
Star Wars Fans : George Lucas has lost it! Give the franchise to other people!

Also Star Wars Fans: Bring George Lucas back! He's the only one who can do Star Wars right!
It’s things like this that make me Annoyed by the fandom, I know far too many people like that and every time they open their mouths I have to hold my hand down to avoid the backhand my reflex’s attempt.

If you don’t like the ST take a good look in the mirror and see if you were one of the sad trolls that help facilitate their existence. If so STFU and take responsibility for your mistakes.

Reaction score
I like the OT and PT, didn't much care for the ST.

I think what's bothersome is people telling you that you're wrong for either liking or disliking any aspects of it of their onion is opposite yours. I'm fine with people having an opinion opposite of mine on anything, it's the personal attacks that I'm against.

Reaction score
I can respect that Lucas had a grand vision for Star Wars that was severely limited by filmmaking technology of the 70s/80s and he tried to take advantage of the new technology, in the 1990s/early-2000s, to bring the films closer to what he felt they should have been. In his mind, Star Wars has never lived up to his vision and he's been trying to "fix" the films ever since. However, that is simply the case with every creative person. The final result is ALWAYS a pale shadow of what you envision in your head.

Because of this, I don't think it's a good idea for George Lucas to be involved with Star Wars in anything beyond an advisory role going forward. His creativity is always going to be hampered by what Star Wars should have been in his mind, not what Star Wars turned out to be... the Star Wars that we all fell in love with.

The torch has been passed to Dave Filoni and John Favreau. Let them take over the franchise and, if Lucas still has some space fantasy ideas that he wants to put on film, then there is nothing stopping him from making a new film that has nothing to do with Star Wars.

Reaction score
I think the whills idea is insane, and brilliant at the same time. It should have been a companion movie not a sequel.

Reaction score
I think the whills idea is insane, and brilliant at the same time. It should have been a companion movie not a sequel.
Are you referring to Lucas' statement the one of his Sequel ideas was "exploring the microscopic world of the Force"?

Reaction score
I know that freaked a lot of people out and they were think "fantastic voyage" type stuff.

I think that Lucas didn't mean it literally but that the films would have Luke exploring and learning about the Force with the action adventure event pushed aside. Luke would communicate and interact with the Whills/midichlorians like Yoda does in his quest. Maybe Mortis sprang from these ideas?