Disney Store Diecast Star Wars Vehicles

Reaction score
Among the Disney Store Star Wars exclusive product revealed yesterday at a press event was a line of diecast metal vehicles! I fondly remember the old line from back when I was a kid in the late seventies. Like those old toys these new ones feature cockpits that open, S-foils that can be deployed for attack and other nifty play features. No pricing yet but the details and size are pretty impressive. Pictures of the unpainted prototypes can be found here ... (scroll down the page)

Reaction score
Lol - we had the same idea at the same time Rev !

Do you think they're same scale as EM Trek ships or the old Code 3 sculpts ?

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, guys! Very interesting, I like the X-Wing in particular. If they do capital ships, I'll definitely be tempted.
Hmmm Boris, I'm thinking they look close to AF/TS Ultra scale, maybe a smidge smaller in some cases.

Reaction score
Hah! Looks like we were posting at the same time.
:grin:

The photographs of the prototypes sitting on a surface next to the new 18 inch figures suggest they are surprisingly large - more in the Code 3 range than EM I think. What do you make of them?

Reaction score
Very interesting to see. I saw the X-wing and thought it was a Z-95, with how the wings were displayed.

Speaking of the X-wings, which do you guys prefer.. the original ones that had open wings only, or the ones with the movable wings? I loved the original, didn't care for the movable wings. They seemed too flimsy to me. If they're coming out with new die-cast ships it looks like we'll be seeing the movable wings again.

Reaction score
You mean the titaniums? Opening/closing wings for sure. Yes the wings move in closed mode, but the vehicle itself is so much more detailed it's not even close.

The new diecast ships look good, except for the wonky wing on the X-wing. I'd agree with DD too, I'm thinking AF size, perhaps slightly smaller.

Reaction score
It's funny looking at these, I can't help but spot a lot of similarities to AF. The Slave I looks dead on for the AF version. And the Snowspeeder has that narrow canopy like the AF. Sad, but I doubt these will debut around the $20-30 range. Still, if I've got the cabinet space and the clams, I'll grab some of them. (Hope they get the side blaster cannons reversed on the AT-AT though).

Reaction score
I'd rather they made Micro Machines. While these vehicles do look nice (indeed the Slave 1 and Snowspeeder look like they are closely based on the original AF base sculpt), I will never grasp why they'd make them Die-Cast. Okay, we all grew up on toy cars, but these are quite a bit bigger. IMO, plastic vehicles have more playability because their color doesn't scratch off as easily- it's also my theory as to why the vintage Micro Collection didn't work out and why Galoob's lines

Reaction score
Looking at them compared to the figures they're next to they're definitely AF size. I'm so happy, I was getting tired of making up excuses to go in Disney Stores :D They do seem to be going for everything OT now as if the PT never happened. I wonder if they'll be giving the same treatment to their Rebels ships ?

Reaction score
I'd rather they made Micro Machines. While these vehicles do look nice (indeed the Slave 1 and Snowspeeder look like they are closely based on the original AF base sculpt), I will never grasp why they'd make them Die-Cast. Okay, we all grew up on toy cars, but these are quite a bit bigger. IMO, plastic vehicles have more playability because their color doesn't scratch off as easily- it's also my theory as to why the vintage Micro Collection didn't work out and why Galoob's lines
Do you think they produce Diecast in order to charge more and thus make them 'collectables' ?

Reaction score
We'll have to wait for more info on the retail price and type of line they want it to be. If they want a high-end collectible line, the Die-cast might be a reason for it, but if it's supposed to be a line aimed at kids, I don't really see the need for die-cast when plastic has shown in the past how good it could get (see AF or the X-Wing game miniatures right now). I just fear that the price will suffer the "Disney tax" where everything sold in a Disney Store is 30% more expensive because of the brand name.

Reaction score
I may have to get the Falcon.. Not sure if Im fussed with collecting the others.

I do like the Han in carbonite "figure", and the chewie mug

Reaction score
From that link I'm mostly interested in the 18" Stormtrooper, curious about its price.

But I also like the die-cast AT-AT though I hate how the back leg bends backwards...

Reaction score
Looks like a reboot of the Titanium Ultra line to me, and that line didn't do all that well, though it had some gems like the Falcon and the Galactica. Those were $20 years ago, so I'm thinking these might be closer to $30. I have no real interest, as I prefer MM or Titanium scale, but they might make something great that could change my mind. If they did the Ghost with the removable shuttle, I might go for that...

Reaction score
Very interesting to see. I saw the X-wing and thought it was a Z-95, with how the wings were displayed.

Speaking of the X-wings, which do you guys prefer.. the original ones that had open wings only, or the ones with the movable wings? I loved the original, didn't care for the movable wings. They seemed too flimsy to me. If they're coming out with new die-cast ships it looks like we'll be seeing the movable wings again.
I like the long nose on the new X-Wing, and I can see why you squinted and saw a Z-95! ;)
I gotta agree with DW, I thought the TS Ultra X-Wings smoked the AF versions in every way, apart from not having removable figures. The paint and tooling is so much nicer, IMHO.

Reaction score
Ha yea on the second viewing I realized it was an X-Wing.

I agree, I do like the paint job on the Titanium X-Wings with the moveable wings but they just seemed so flimsy to me. I have them but prefer the original ones from the mid-90s.

Reaction score
Wow...that's cheaper than the X-wing minis. Color me impressed. The prototypes are still a bit rough, but I will definitely be keeping an eye on these.

Reaction score
I'm impressed so far, I really like how these are shaping out. They really need to fix those wings on the X-Wing though. I'm still seeing a bit of a Z-95 there. The wings should be flipped, the angle should be on top.

They're not even out yet and I'm already complaining. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Definitely looking forward to the ISD. The others, let's just say that it will depend on how they blend with the AF line. I may pick one or two for accuracy improvement, but I'm not really willing to double each ship from the AF.

Reaction score
Hmm interesting, really hope the line does well so they can get into PT stuff too - I want my Acclamator!
I'm thrilled we're getting more ships.......I NEED ships (mad chortle), but I agree with you DW, I'd love to see PT and EU vessels. I have a feeling they won't though, the general mood music coming from Disney is that this is part of a massive drive to introduce the OT to younger generations in prep for Ep 7 and beyond. But that's 9 ships in total in this line so far ? All good :)

Reaction score
I'm really pleased about this. As a focus collector there hasn't been too many new releases. Looking forward to seeing how these look when they're painted.

Any speculation on what the moving parts will be for each?

Reaction score
Hey Rodders, long time no see! :)

Wow DS, those pricepoints seem too good to be true, especially for diecast! Like UnR, colour me impressed, most impressed!
The small ones must be closer to Titanium scale than we'd thought if they're $10. Definitely interested in those.
Can't wait to see their ISD. It should be a nice wingman for the old Kenner diecast and the AF that we never got.

Reaction score
I read we are getting a B-wing too. I'm quite happy. Hope we get some PT and stuff from Rebels as well.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm hoping for some PT, CW, and Rebels ships - while I love the OT, I have enough of those ships in various forms.

Reaction score
A fuzzy close-up of the new diecast Disney ships courtesy of RS. Lookin' pretty good, I'm liking that ISD in particular.
If Disney are producing them in-house, that strongly indicates that the Hot Wheels diecast line is a separate entity altogether, as Rev sagely suggested. Nice! :)

Reaction score
I'm certainly interested. If they are too expensive though I might have to pass, as I have too much other stuff to focus on with my collecting.

Reaction score
A fuzzy close-up of the new diecast Disney ships courtesy of RS. Lookin' pretty good, I'm liking that ISD in particular.
If Disney are producing them in-house, that strongly indicates that the Hot Wheels diecast line is a separate entity altogether, as Rev sagely suggested. Nice! :)
Saw that too. I can't tell if it's just the perspective, but that ISD looks like it's going to be nicely sized.

Reaction score
I'm in for any ships that are new (as in not previously released in Action Fleet or D'agostini). Improvements over Titanium only rleases are welcome.

Reaction score
I was just about to ask the same question. I want to see how these look too, and what kind of packaging it'll come in. I'm guessing maybe like the Cars and Planes diecast figures they have. That way the ship will be easy to display in the package.

Reaction score
I was just about to ask the same question. I want to see how these look too, and what kind of packaging it'll come in. I'm guessing maybe like the Cars and Planes diecast figures they have. That way the ship will be easy to display in the package.

I'm really impressed with the way Disney package their Cars range so if it's up to that standard I'd be more than happy

Reaction score
Yeah those are packaged nicely and display them well. Also, for these they could do something similar with the backgrounds that match the vehicles, like the Cars ones have. For example the AT-AT and Snowspeeder could have a Hoth background, Endor backdrop for the Speeder Bike, Rebel Hangar for the X-Wing, Death Star Hangar for Vader's TIE, Space, etc.

Hope we get updates on these soon. Looking forward to seeing how they turn out and when they'll be available.