Disney Star Wars Park Experiences

Reaction score
My finacee and I are planning to be at Hollywood Studios in May and I was hoping to get a little more info and opinions on a few of the activities available in the Star Wars area. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Oga's Cantina - we have a reservation for this. Opinions on this place? Anything we should absolutely try, or absolutely avoid?
  2. Galaxy's Edge Custom Astromech Units - I've made a reservation for this too. Anyone done this? Do they have a fairly extensive variety of colors and options available? Are things like the "personality upgrades" pricey, and are they worth it?
  3. Savi's Workshop - Handbuilt lightsabers - Similar questions as the Build-Your-Own-Astromech above. Good selection? Any of the upgrades worth buying? Also, are these sabers similar to the Master Replica sabers with sound effects and removable blades?
  4. The Star Wars Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party - I'm thinking about making a reservation for this when it becomes available. Is this worth the price? Is there a certain time you have to check in for this? The time listed (6:30 PM) is only 15 minutes after our dinner reservation, but in May it won't be dark until at least 8 PM. If I make a reservation for this, will I be able to enjoy dinner at Oga's and still get in at say... 7:30? Also, it says you get a souvenir of some sort. Anyone know what that is?

Reaction score
I didn't do the Astromech build or Savi's so I can't comment on them. I also have no idea what that "Dessert Party" is all about. I will say, at least in my opionion, Oga's was totally worth it, even if you don't drink. Just the atmosphere is awesome and the drinks were good. You won't really get "dinner" there though. They have some snack food available.

Reaction score
I’ve been to Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland last year and it was excellent. Built two droids at the Droid Depot, one BB and one R2. Awesome customization potential with all the parts and colors you can choose, most especially for the R-units with all the extra pieces you can buy. I think the personality chips are $12.99 each. They work on both droid types. And the prices for the other R-unit customization extras are actually reasonably priced in my opinion.

I built one Savi’s Workshop lightsaber and its an awesome experience. Comes with a blade, sheath, and exclusive pin. I chose “Protection and Defense”, which is meant to be inspired by Old Republic designs. I’ll post a pic of mine below.

Both experiences are worth it in my opinion. Not exactly cheap, but if you can save for them I recommend it. I didn’t get to go into Oga’s Cantina but I hear many good things about it.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys! That saber us awesome, IndyMOS. Is the hilt metal?

Reaction score
Regarding the Galactic Dessert Party thing, it looks interesting, but it's $89 per person, so I'm really not sure it's worth it for the two of us.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys! That saber us awesome, IndyMOS. Is the hilt metal?
Yes the hilt is indeed metal, while the main body underneath that houses electronics is made of plastic. With all the metal parts on it’s actually quite hefty. And with all the kyber crystal colors you can buy, it’s really awesome!

Reaction score
It is an amazing place filled with a lot of little secret creatures and hidden elements.

1. Smugglers run is a ton of fun. Crew of 6, you will be assigned a post - pilot, gunner, engineer. (pilot the best)
2. Resistance ride is amazing! Got to the park at 5:30am, park opened at 6:30. Scan your band, then start clicking you app to load onto a boarding party. If you can't get a signal, find a cast member to help! They go quick and your whole group has to be together. We were loading party 63 after it took about 10 minutes to get into the park. Each party has 200 people, but your app will show you when your time is coming...then you have 2 hours to ride it once your time comes.
3. Rey, Chewbacca, Kylo, and troopers move through the park randomly...but not for picture opps.
4. By the market bathrooms, look for the dianoga in the tube! He appears every couple of minutes.
5. Built a lightsaber! $212. It is so fun, but you have to register to do it early. It is metal and heavy. Downside is that I had to ship it home.
6. Did not build a droid, but will next time. Don't forget that $ for all the market creatures (space lizard!), costumes, collectibles, and blue milk!

Attachments

Reaction score
Regarding the Galactic Dessert Party thing, it looks interesting, but it's $89 per person, so I'm really not sure it's worth it for the two of us.
I've actually done this a handful of times. It really is a great time IMO, especially if you go with some friends. The desert and food options are pretty good ( a lot of sugar) and of course all the alcohol you want. Generally those cast members that work it have been pretty chill and relaxed too. I'd recommend it at least once. Yea, it's pricey but it's always been a fun experience. I think we've done it at least 4-5 times

Reaction score
Have been to Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland a couple of times now (a benefit of living in Southern California). I know things are slightly different in Florida, but I'll share what I've got. Each time I have gone with my girlfriend who has only a passive interest in Star Wars, and the second time was with some other friends who are even less invested. Everyone had a really good time and enjoyed the atmosphere of the world, even while recognizing that most of the details and specifics went over their heads.

I have not done Savi's Workshop to build a lightsaber yet, nor have I been back since the new Rise of the Resistance ride opened out here. But I can say that the Droid Depot experience is fun. It's not as elaborate or in-depth as the lightsaber is (at least from what I hear about the latter), but still all done with employees helping you in-character and leads to a really cool and sizable remote control droid. Keep in mind that they are pretty big -- you get a box to carry it around, or can buy a Bjorn-esque backpack. It's fun to have them in the land, since the droids interact with other people's custom astromechs, beeping and whirring at each other when in close proximity.

Oga's is super fun. Really captures the cantina atmosphere. I only had non-alcoholic drinks there, but they were all fun and tasty "cocktails." As others have said, it's not a place to get a meal -- the snacks they offer are fine, but overpriced. I mean, it's Disneyland/WDW, so everything is overpriced...but I would say it would make more sense to eat in the Batuu cafeteria instead and just get drinks at Oga's.

My other recommendation is to make sure you download the Disney Play app for your phone. I don't know when they started it, but it's an app that creates interactive ARG-like games for your time in the park. It's really nice to have while waiting in the line for Smuggler's Run (and I assume the Resistance ride too). It also lets you choose to accept jobs around the land for either the Resistance or the First Order, so you are using your phone to hack into computers, scan crates, and interact with some of the various things around the land. Even the people who aren't into Star Wars enjoyed hacking into the parked X-wing and starting it up...which, sure, just means it made some noise and shot out some smoke, but it's really cool regardless.

Reaction score
I agree about the snacks at Oga's. We did get one of them (can't remember what exactly) and it was good, but very pricey. The Docking Bay 7 restaurant was really good though! We ate there three times. Also, don't pass up the Blue Milk...it's mighty tasty.

I don't know if they will do it with the droids from Droid Depot or the lightsabers from Savi's (as I saw a lot of folks carrying those) but my son and I both got lightsabers from Dok Ondar's (the Disney Parks Exclusives in the long boxes) and they held them at the front gate for us to pick up at the end of the day so we didn't have to carry them around. We were able to turn them in at the First Order shop and they gave us a claim ticket and said they would be at the main gate at a certain time. Piece of cake!

Reaction score
My finacee and I are planning to be at Hollywood Studios in May and I was hoping to get a little more info and opinions on a few of the activities available in the Star Wars area. Thanks in advance for any help!

1. Oga's Cantina - we have a reservation for this. Opinions on this place? Anything we should absolutely try, or absolutely avoid?
  2. Galaxy's Edge Custom Astromech Units - I've made a reservation for this too. Anyone done this? Do they have a fairly extensive variety of colors and options available? Are things like the "personality upgrades" pricey, and are they worth it?
  3. Savi's Workshop - Handbuilt lightsabers - Similar questions as the Build-Your-Own-Astromech above. Good selection? Any of the upgrades worth buying? Also, are these sabers similar to the Master Replica sabers with sound effects and removable blades?
  4. The Star Wars Galactic Spectacular Dessert Party - I'm thinking about making a reservation for this when it becomes available. Is this worth the price? Is there a certain time you have to check in for this? The time listed (6:30 PM) is only 15 minutes after our dinner reservation, but in May it won't be dark until at least 8 PM. If I make a reservation for this, will I be able to enjoy dinner at Oga's and still get in at say... 7:30? Also, it says you get a souvenir of some sort. Anyone know what that is?
1. It's fine. It's nice to be in a cantina setting, but they really pack you in with a lot of other people. Everything is okay. I personally wouldn't spend a lot of money here, though we did get the Rancor tooth beer flight and Yub Nub as souvenirs.

2. We didn't find we needed a reservation, but better safe than sorry. We built 3 and love them. There are plenty of choices, though with some limitations. The personality chips are inexpensive (about $15) and worth it as the droids sound different and will react differently to different areas of Galaxy's Edge. I highly recommend an R series over a BB as they are more customizable.

3. Reservation is a must. There are no upgrades. There is some variety, but you are limited to selections within one of the 4 styles of lightsaber you choose - Elemental Nature, Peace and Justice, Protection and Defense, and Power and Control. There are plenty of pictures of the components online so you can do some research beforehand. They also have examples of all the pieces available to look at before you pay. You will select which style you want when you pay before you go in. You will be provided with a removable blade and a sheath. It's worth doing for the experience. The lightsabers are a bit on the larger size, but they are metal with a plastic core. The Kyber crystal is removable and you can buy additional crystals at Dok Ondar's to have more color options.

4. The dessert parties at WDW are pretty good if you like sweets. It's a dessert buffet and you have options for alcoholic beverages as well. But these things are only worth it if you maximize your time there, and how much desserts you can shovel down. It is advised that you get there early because there are no reserved tables. If things have not changed, you will be taken to the balcony of the building the party takes place in about 15 minutes prior to the actual fireworks. I don't know if I would recommend going to Oga's and rushing to the dessert party, as you would be paying to not be there for most of the time. And there isn't much food available at Oga's so it's not really a suitable dinner. If you could only do one, I would probably recommend Oga's and using the dessert party money to buy a souvenir cup from Oga's. Usually the souvenirs for these are entry credentials, like a lanyard with a pass on it.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the responses and information folks, especially regarding Oga's and the dessert party. I'm pretty sure we're going to pass on the dessert party. It sounds like it's fun, but I can probably make better use of that $200 somewhere else. Good to know that Oga's isn't a place for a meal.

And thanks for the additional tips, Star_Wars_Dork. I will certainly look for the Diagnoga.

Generally speaking I would prefer an R-series droid to a BB model, but a couple of years ago Katie Cook did a painting of my finacee and I in costume and she included a BB-style droid in the painting, so I am hoping I can create a close facsimile of it in real life. Can you get a good sense of what is available for each droid type (including colors) before you choose which kind to build?

We're staying at a Disney Resort, so I think I can have them send some of our purchases back to our hotel if I want.

We are going to Hollywood Studios on May 4th, and I'm still trying to decide whether that was a good idea, or a terrible one. I'm hoping there might be at least a couple of "Star Wars Day" exclusives I'll be able to snag. Need to familiarize myself with the park layout so I know what shop(s) to check out first.

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the responses and information folks, especially regarding Oga's and the dessert party. I'm pretty sure we're going to pass on the dessert party. It sounds like it's fun, but I can probably make better use of that $200 somewhere else. Good to know that Oga's isn't a place for a meal.

And thanks for the additional tips, Star_Wars_Dork. I will certainly look for the Diagnoga.

Generally speaking I would prefer an R-series droid to a BB model, but a couple of years ago Katie Cook did a painting of my finacee and I in costume and she included a BB-style droid in the painting, so I am hoping I can create a close facsimile of it in real life. Can you get a good sense of what is available for each droid type (including colors) before you choose which kind to build?

We're staying at a Disney Resort, so I think I can have them send some of our purchases back to our hotel if I want.

We are going to Hollywood Studios on May 4th, and I'm still trying to decide whether that was a good idea, or a terrible one. I'm hoping there might be at least a couple of "Star Wars Day" exclusives I'll be able to snag. Need to familiarize myself with the park layout so I know what shop(s) to check out first.

In the droid building experience, you actually have a lot of time. There's a line you go into to check in for your time (and pay) where you also decide which droid type you want to build. On the left-hand side wall there's a display of all the droid parts/colors that are available so you can pretty much figure out what you want there. When you check in, they give you a metal tray that has a schematic of the droid type you chose that tells you what parts you need, and they walk you over to a conveyer belt that has all the various droid parts going by. You just locate and pick up the parts you want until you have everything you need, then you go to the que for the actual construction/activation portion.

As for going on May 4th, well, lol, goodluck. You're going to be at the epicenter of things by going. Not that you're not going to have a good time, but I'd very much agree it's going to be packed, so I hope you're going to be able to spend more than one day checking out GE. I just got back from my honeymoon and we spent a week at Disneyworld, and it was nice being able to spread it out over 2-3 days, on top of going to other parks and sights.

If you've never been to hollywood studios, just look up a map on google. GE is basically in the far-rear end, opposite of the main entrance. The "main" entrance to GE is the far-left "corner" of the park. You enter the park, keep walking straight down the main street (you can cut off to the left about half-way down) where you'll see the lake w/ the dinosauar and boat. Go that way, you'll pass the 50s Prime Time Diner, and then you'll also pass the Indiana Jones stunt show. Keep following that direction. When you hit Star Tours, you'll just keep going off to the right and hit another Hollywood themed street and you won't miss the mass migration of people wandering into the cement arches that lead's into GE. Now, if you were to go the opposite direction from the front of the park, or just want to get out of GE, there's an entrance/exit where the new Toy Story section is, so you'd just go through that way.

Either way, hope you don't like your shins, cause it's going to be death by strollers

EDIT: I forgot to mention we were informed by an employee that they were looking to actually add a Protocol Droid option in the droid builders experience. No time frame, but a rumor nonetheless.

Reaction score
Nice looking hilt, I know that when the time comes I'm gonna have a difficult time deciding which one. And may have to get two.

Reaction score
Just got back from my first trip 10 days ago and it was amazing!

1. Oga's is a must, even the non alcoholic drinks are good. Don't get blue milk at the cantina though, you'll pay about $5 more than at the milk stand because it comes with a Bantha cookie that isn't very good. As others said the food options are very limited so you should eat at Docking Bay 7 or get my personal favorite, a Ronto Wrap at Ronto Roasters.

2. Droid Depot, while not as elaborate as Savi's, is still a great experience. R units definitely have more customization options, but no matter which droid you choose you will have all the time you need to stand at the conveyor belt and wait for the right parts to come along. Full droid parts options can easily be found online, especially in the Galaxy's Edge subreddit. Highly recommend getting a personality chip for 12.99, there are 2 Resistance, 2 First Order and 2 Smuggler chips to choose from each with unique sounds. I built a black and red R6 unit with the black FO chip and the leg blaster attachments and love that little guy!

3. Savi's is absolutely amazing! I recommend not watching any videos and going in blind as far as the show itself goes. The 4 themes you choose from are basically classic Jedi, classic Sith, Old Republic Jedi or Nature Force inspired. I chose Elemental Nature because it has a very unique look to it, like a Wookiee saber and the Rancor tooth pommel was my favorite piece. Very hefty sabers with effects and removable blades, some of the sounds can be a bit delayed though. You can also pick up different Kyber crystals at Dok Ondar's to change your blade color and sounds.

4. If the dessert party is that close to your Oga's reservation I would just use that money toward food and souvenirs the rest of the day.

Make sure you download the Disney World app ahead of time and link your tickets, make sure your tickets are scanned and you are inside the park ahead of opening time and you should be fine for getting a boarding pass for Rise of the Resistance which is the most spectacular ride I have ever experienced. Smuggler's Run is also so worth the long wait, the line tends to be a little shorter in the evening but if you are going on May 4 then it may be 90+ minutes most of the day.

Other cheapish souvenirs include the thermal detonator Coke, diet Coke, and Sprite bottles. The coasters from the cantina are pretty cool and our waitress had no problem slipping me an extra unused set for asking nicely. There are some really cool collectible food and drink containers like a BB-8 mug and a Millenium Falcon popcorn bucket. I highly recommend buying the Batuuan Spira metal gift card coins and using them to pay for everything at the park. You have to do at least a $100 activation to get one but the coin is free and a really cool souvenir, I knew I would buying quite a bit so bought several of them at $100 each to have a few free souvenirs.

Most items can be held by the front gate until you are ready to leave or like you said, I believe sent to your resort if you are at a Disney Resort. They can also ship directly to your home for a reasonable price as well.

Enjoy your trip I can not wait to go back again myself! 'Til the Spires!

Reaction score
If you've never been to hollywood studios, just look up a map on google.
What's interesting is that right now, Maps shows GE under construction. The Falcon looks really neat as a skeleton.

Despite living in FL, I haven't been to the parks in many years. I'd love to see GE someday, though.

Reaction score
Just got back from my first trip 10 days ago and it was amazing!

1. Oga's is a must, even the non alcoholic drinks are good. Don't get blue milk at the cantina though, you'll pay about $5 more than at the milk stand because it comes with a Bantha cookie that isn't very good. As others said the food options are very limited so you should eat at Docking Bay 7 or get my personal favorite, a Ronto Wrap at Ronto Roasters.
The blue milk in the cantina is not the same as the blue milk from the stand outside. Its not a slushie it more like a milk and the taste is different too. The cookie depends on a persons taste, I thought it tasted great although it is a harder cookie so I can see where some people wouldn't like it. IMO the blue milk in the cantina is superior to the blue milk sold at the stand.

Reaction score
The blue milk in the cantina is not the same as the blue milk from the stand outside. Its not a slushie it more like a milk and the taste is different too. The cookie depends on a persons taste, I thought it tasted great although it is a harder cookie so I can see where some people wouldn't like it. IMO the blue milk in the cantina is superior to the blue milk sold at the stand.
I wish I would have known there were different blue milks. I only tried the cantina milk, would have liked to compare both.

Reaction score
I wish I would have known there were different blue milks. I only tried the cantina milk, would have liked to compare both.
I had the spiked one outside by the droid depot. As a matter of fact my icon pic was taken while drinking it. I didn't care for it,so I passed on it at the cantina too. Wish I had known they were different too. Which was better? Guess I need to go back....lol

Reaction score
If I had one complaint in how Disney handled opening Galaxy's Edge, it's that they didn't communicate things like that to well. Another example is the app and how much depth it can give to the park and the experience if someone plays it.

Reaction score
Huh, I also didn't realize the blue milk was different in the cantina. I had the milk from the stand outside, and it was indeed like a smoothie. I really like it! When I went back a couple weeks ago, they had a new thing which adds a spicy, Bloody Mary-esque mix into the green milk. I wasn't as into that.

Strong agree about the PlayDisney app being under-advertised. It really does add a bunch to the experience.

Reaction score
Had I not found threads like this here and on Reddit before I went I would have missed out on so much. Disney really could do more to promote all of the lesser known aspects of Galaxy's Edge

Reaction score
Had I not found threads like this here and on Reddit before I went I would have missed out on so much. Disney really could do more to promote all of the lesser known aspects of Galaxy's Edge
I'd agree to an extent. I was born and raised in South Florida and we went to Disney (and Universal) almost religiously. I felt like I knew Disney pretty well, but then my wife, who rarely ever went to Disney (wasn't a Florida native either) became a travel agent and a Diseny-focused Vlogger, and honestly she's learned so much about the parks and the current happenings it's kind of putting me to shame. GE aside, there's A LOT always going on at the parks that I feel you'd have to always be researching the latest.

I feel that due to Disney's size, you've got a lot of different events, new merch or what-have you going on that not even other parts of Disney itself is really aware of (ground level employees I mean). I tend to believe based on trends that Disney relies on social media posts to fuel promotions, say for example, all the different popcorn star wars buckets. I don't recall ever seeing any actual Diseny produced advertisement for those when a new one comes out- It's always because of someone else discovering it and posting it to Facebook, and then it goes viral. Next thing you know some rando journal site writes articles about it and boom. Why would Disney spend money on advertising everything when other people will do it just as effectively for free?

Reaction score
Kyber crystals are $14.99. I bought a white, blue and another red (still no black for me), just need a green to finish them off. Also bought a Sith holocron. The buddy I went with built another saber at Savvi's and also bought the Ben Solo legacy, which is really cool but the sound is too quiet.

Went to DLR again over the weekend and got to ride RotR again. Favorite ride/experience ever. Once you're off you just want to go back on it again.

On a non-Galaxy's Edge note - I got into Club 33, which was just surreal. Spent way too much on merch but it was once in a lifetime opportunity.

Reaction score
That's awesome, LandoGriffin. Visiting Club 33 is second only to staying in the Cinderella's Castle suite at WDW on my list of things I'd like to do at Disney (as I'm sure is the case for most people).

My question today for those who have been to Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios - where would you say is the best place to buy exclusive merchandise?

My fiancee and I are going to Hollywood Studios on May the 4th, and I would like to get some "Star Wars Day" exclusives (like magic bands or pins) if they have any. I've heard that the shops IN Galaxay's Edge are probably not a good place to look for that sort of thing due to the "immersive experience" theme of that area.

So... where in Hollywood Studios would you recommend looking for Star Wars Day/May the 4th exclusives?

Thanks!

Reaction score
That's awesome, LandoGriffin. Visiting Club 33 is second only to staying in the Cinderella's Castle suite at WDW on my list of things I'd like to do at Disney (as I'm sure is the case for most people).

My question today for those who have been to Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios - where would you say is the best place to buy exclusive merchandise?

My fiancee and I are going to Hollywood Studios on May the 4th, and I would like to get some "Star Wars Day" exclusives (like magic bands or pins) if they have any. I've heard that the shops IN Galaxay's Edge are probably not a good place to look for that sort of thing due to the "immersive experience" theme of that area.

So... where in Hollywood Studios would you recommend looking for Star Wars Day/May the 4th exclusives?

Thanks!

I'd first stress that if you're looking for exclusives that you must be pro-actively watching Disney blogs and every site that could be reporting Disney updates routinely, to include Star Wars news. This way, at least, you may have a chance to be aware of any exclusive items sold that day.

I'll tell you from experience that they will very likely at the very least have an exclusive pin (they always make them), which generally are sold from behind the counter. I'm not going to say that they won't do exclusive merch inside GE itself, but generally that kind of stuff would be sold in Launch Bay on the opposite side of the park. They also have a shop over at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs which I know have sold some exclusive pins in the past.

To me, I feel that if there's going to be any exclusive items sold at GE, it'd likely be at one of the shops in the Bazaar section, maybe the antiquities shop, but I can be wrong. This will be the first May 4th since GE opened, so it's honestly up in the air. For now, until something is announced, just be prepared to go to battle for some items.

Reaction score
I'll be heading to Florida's Galaxy's Edge in two months (already did the CA version in the fall.)

VERY excited and, as is basically a requirement for WDW, all my plans have been finalized - fastpasses, dining reservations, Oga's, Savi's, etc.

I'll have 3 chances to get a RotR boarding group, so finger's crossed.

Anyone with recent WDW/GE experience care to share any additional info/experiences?