Disney Sandcrawler Playset

Reaction score
Yes, you read that right. Announced today with subject to change caveats at the Star Wars 2017 Celebration Disney collecting panel.

Holy smokes. Start saving now for a presumed late 2017 or 2018 release.

Reaction score
Oh geez. I...I don't know what to expect. A Sandcrawler playset has been one of my most-wanted Star Wars items for YEARS. And it looks like it has a special Gonk droid with it?! I don't want to get too excited...I need details! Size, shape, price, availability!

Reaction score
Is it going to be huge like the legacy Falcon and AT-AT ? I don't know where I would put it, but I would have to get it if it's an upgrade over the old Sandcrawler.

Reaction score
Well, if it's in-scale with the Gonk silhouette, I think it's safe to say it's at least a couple inches taller & wider than the OTC one. What do you guys think? I'm just eyeballing it, of course.:confused:

Reaction score
If it's a 'playset' I'm guessing it will a backing piece only and not a full vehicle?

I'll put money on the Gonk being a new Droid Factory item and the version in here being one of the blue ones!

Reaction score
If they start doing Build-A-Gonk I'm done. Next to astros, they're my favorite droids. I don't know what I'll do if they start making a bunch of them!

That photo reminds me of how much I want a properly-scaled WED droid.

Reaction score
This is pretty awesome. I hope it will be a full vehicle like an upscaled version of the OTC one with loads of features. The Star Tours Starspeeder was also called a playset. Leave it to Disney to make large vehicle/playsets since Hasbro isn't doing them anymore. Maybe Disney will make a proper Rogue One U-Wing.

Reaction score
This has been my most wanted original trilogy vehicle for awhile. Its nice to finally have some 3.75" threads that actually have something to talk about.

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney used the old mold, modified it a bit to open up as a carry case or storage facility or even a "factory" look inside. The gonk could even be a retooled/ repainted gonk from the TVC 3 pk. Btw, wasn't it rumored Hasbro was going to release the blue repaint but never did? I still would love to see the MIA 2nd utai released through Disney since Hasbro won't.

Reaction score
I've got no room for another sand crawler unless it's a real game changer in terms of playability. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick the gone up on the secondary market.

Reaction score
I fully expect a completely newly tooled Sandcrawler with lights and sounds, much like the Starspeeder Disney sells. It would not surprise me if it even moves, though I would rather it not have that feature, personally.

Reaction score
The Starspeeder demonstrates what they can and will do. I think it is reasonable in this instance to set high expectations. The fact they are doing it at all is amazing to me. I never expected it.

Reaction score
I know it's highly unlikely. But if this does wind up being a real vehicle, I'd love for them to take a shot at the Barge! lol
If Hasbro can't do it, maybe Disney can. After all, there were Droids on the Barge too.

Reaction score
I know it's highly unlikely. But if this does wind up being a real vehicle, I'd love for them to take a shot at the Barge! lol
If Hasbro can't do it, maybe Disney can. After all, there were Droids on the Barge too.
I've been saying they should out source large playsets/vehicles for years. Disney has more than enough supplers that could do it. & if Disney can sell droids then they can figure out how to make bigger things happen.

Also: Looks like I'm putting off the sandcrawler dio for another year. :)

Reaction score
It won't be. You can tell by the silhouette that it's a totally different sculpt. Beyond that I don't know what to expect.
But how can one be sure the silhouette is not a generic concept sketch? At this point, I would not trust a generic looking detail-free silouette to be actual shape especially since the slide did not say sandcrawler. It would be rather cool though if Disney did acquire the original mold and put the electronics back into it since Hasbro removed them from the original original kenner version.

Reaction score
So glad I have kids young enough to justify this purchase to my wife.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Excited to see what the future holds on this one... Wish more details would leak!

Reaction score
Any new news on this? Hopefully, sdcc will have some news. It'd be great if it also included a few extra astromech BAD parts like a couple sets of legs/feet, a torso, several domes in addition to the gonk droid.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It should have some features from both the PT and OT, like the front crane feature from AOTC. It's rather subtle, but collectors (who more than likely are the purchasers) will appreciate that kind of feature. I'd also like to see some detail on the interior, particular if they can include some of junk droids even if they are non-articulation single pieces like the vacuum cleaner droid.

Reaction score
D23 is more likely the venue to see something about it than SDCC. Steven Miller releases hints and previews on his Disney Parks blog when Cody Hampton (Disney Parks product development manager) has stuff to share. May 20, 2011 was the cardboard mockup for the Starspeeder and the ship didn't come until December 2011. We may be a while off still

Reaction score
I got a feeling this is a cardboard playset with droids. Hope I'm wrong though since I've never owned a sandcrawler

Reaction score
^ personally, I'd be ok w/ that especially if it included droid parts (really would love the unreleased paint scheme from the 2012 promo BAD pic like the red r7 dome, blue w/ grey/silver highlights r2 dome and trunk, a few green, yellow random domes, parts for the green cw vendor droid, etc)
I would except an ep8 Astromech 4pk in fall as well

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah, if its cardboard I'm not interested. I remember a while back, 2012ish or so, a rumor started circulating that Hasbro may have been working on a large Sandcrawler vehicle. I had hoped that this was that since Hasbro ended the large vehicle program around 2012 even though they they stated a year prior that it was doing well and they had a library of large vehicles to keep it alive for years to come. Of course this was when Depriest was in charge, someone who actually was invested in the existing collector market at the time. The new guy seems like he couldn't give a hoot about the audience Depriest catered to.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't think there is any reason to think Disney would cheap out and go cardboard on us with their teased sandcrawler. Their 3.75" Starspeeder vehicle demonstrates what they are capable of developing and producing. That thing is bigger than they could have gotten away with, loaded with features and sports a fabulous deco. Their build-a-droid line continues to exemplify their commitment to going deep and doing their best to deliver satisfying toys loaded with articulation and, where possible, thoughtful accessories. At every turn over the past few years they have shown us that when faced with the choice being ambitious or playing it safe, they have chosen ambition. Their development team is clearly full of people passionate about the property and toys. Of course there are practical realities that will limit just how big a sandcrawler can be and how much value it will pack, but based on their performance of recent years, there's no reason to think this will be anything other than impressive. I say we're in great hands. The only worry I have is about price and availability.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I really do not think this would be cardboard. However the size could be an issue, I don't think it will be as big as some would like but still bigger than the previous versions.

I'm hoping to see a preview soon, as I placed a diorama on hold to see how this thing turns out.

Reaction score
Dang. Kind of getting close to Christmas time. Starting to wonder if it's just not coming this year after all. Disney has had at least two big opportunities to show it off and they didn't. :(

Reaction score
If this indeed is a brand new, modernized, "BIG" scale Sandcrawler...I'll die. The only reason I never picked up all the Jawa's and wacky droids was because I was never able to get a Sandcrawler, so I always dreamed they'd make a new and improved larger scale one. I don't even care the price...it'll be mine.

But at the same time, I'm not holding out. I'm trying to remain calm and brace for disappointment.

Reaction score
Nothing saying it has to be available for the Holidays. This isn't your typical Kids item to be found in stores anyways, so the only people who'll be aware of it are Collectors. And most adults aren't shopping for themselves during the Holidays, and especially not something on the very expensive side. lol

Reaction score
Nothing saying it has to be available for the Holidays. This isn't your typical Kids item to be found in stores anyways, so the only people who'll be aware of it are Collectors. And most adults aren't shopping for themselves during the Holidays, and especially not something on the very expensive side. lol
Exactly! I mean I'm a pretty major collector. I have literally thousands of figures and even I didn't know this was coming until literally like an hour ago when I just randomly saw this. If this be what we all hope and dream it to be, I wonder what the price tag will run. I'm thinking due to its status as both an exclusive and a Disney park exclusive...plus potential electronics...plus potential remote control feature...well. Let me put it this way, my wallet is already weeping.

Reaction score
I guess you're right that it doesn't necessarily have to be a Christmas item. I was just thinking it probably would be. Either way, we're two quarters of the way through the year and Disney passed on showing it at their big celebration even though this was announced some time before it, so just figured if it was coming this year they would have showed it off already. I hope it is.