Disney Buys Lucasfilm for $4 Billion / Episode 7 Coming 2015!

Reaction score
I thought I'd make this a separate thread because this news, whether it gets you excited or not, is huge and deserves a dedicated discussion thread.

So, we're getting Episode 7 in three years. How do you all feel about that? Given that Lucas stated that he's handing Star Wars over to a "new generation of filmmakers" I have to say my SW mojo-meter just went up several points.

One of the most common criticisms leveled against the Prequels is that Lucas should have written the stories, then handed them off to another screenwriter to polish the script and to another director and remained on board as a producer, a viewpoint which I wholeheartedly agree with. George is a great idea man, and he loves his CGI toys, but for god's sake, the guy can't write dialogue worth a damn. The thought of a new Star Wars directed by an up-and-coming filmmaker or someone with an established track record is incredibly exciting news to me. If it was Episode 7 written and directed by George Lucas, I would be far less excited.

Then the toys. This will likely bring about a whole planet load of new "stuff". Given that I'm at the end of my SW collecting career, the thought of starting this all up again is kind of wearying. The stuff had better be pretty bloody spectacular to get me to crack open my wallet again.

And as for the new movie. Are we getting Jedi-Master Skywalker? Leia Organa Solo? Jacen? Jaina? Yhuzan Vong? or is GL going to hit the reset button on the entire Post OT EU? (kinda hoping for the latter myself).

Reaction score
I really don't know how I feel about this. I've read all the novels, and really liked some. I don't know how you can do ep. VII without completely throwing out all the eu. That doesn't really bother me going forward but it will now be someone else's stories and who knows how well it will mesh.

I will say I fully expected another trilogy someday though, just not with someone else taking it over.

Reaction score
After reading the whole press release there already is an extensive, detailed treatment for the next trilogy. 7,8, and 9 will be released every two years starting in 2015.

Reaction score
I'm so excited about the news! Disney employs some of the most creative minds in the entertainment industry, and it opens the Star Wars universe to so much more than even George's mind could ever possibly imagine. Beyond the movies, the thought of a new TV shows, either live-action or animated plus Star Wars-centric theme parks and resorts get my geek juices flowing!

Reaction score
I'm fired up too! On a collecting front, I totally love the Disney mash ups and maquettes...and being around Tatooine Traders at Hollywoods Studios is one of my favorite places to be (hence the yearly pilgrimage to the house of mouse). They do it right.

I look forward to someone putting out a movie that is character driven, ala Kirshner for Empire. I can't wait to see some emotion or humor that doesn't seem forced like Ani and Obi reflecting on all of the cool things they've done while riding in an elevator. How bout we see some moments where we care and get emotionally behind our heroes...instead of the sitting around office conversation with Palpy or the Jedi council. They say LOTR is about walking...well, it seems there's a lot of sitting with our favorite flicks, especially with the prequels. Sitting at padme's apartment, the council, dex's diner, at the space opera, the senate...even holograms sit.

Bring it on Disney! Can't wait. Hakuna Matata!

Reaction score
If they do half as good a job as they have done with marvel we are in for the best Star Wars since the early 80s.

Reaction score
I am getting sick and tired of reading the following:

"Any Disney Star Wars movie can't be worse than the Prequels, because they were awful."

The Prequels were Great-to-Fantastic.
Here's my rankings for all 6 films:

1) Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope
3) The Phantom Menace
4) Revenge Of The Sith
5) Return Of The Jedi
6) Attack Of The Clones

So as you can see, IMO, 2 of the Prequels were better than Jedi, And Phantom is right behind A New Hope as well.
And while Clones is the weakest chapter, it also has some great scenes ie. Geonosis Battle.

The main reason I have been reading for the hatred of the Prequels is Jar Jar Binks.
Really??? One character can ruin 3 movies??? Really??? JarJar in TPM is no different than 3PO in ANH.
Or that the love story between Anakin and Padme was too contrived.
Really??? Guess what? I'm not watching Star Wars for the romance. If you want romance, go watch Twilight with all the other 10-yr old girls.
Or the acting was sub-par.
Really??? Do you think Billy-Dee Williams was robbed of an Oscar?

These same people must fail to see the genius political strategy that Palpatine deployed to take over the Senate in Phantom.
Or the superbly shot tension of the Pod Race.
Or the lightsaber weilding fun of the Geonosis battle.
Or the great new characters of Qui-Gon, Maul and Droidekas etc.
Or the metropolistic beauty of Coruscant.

While I am looking forward to more Star Wars movies, I can only hope they can compare to the PT.
Because the PT is just as good as the OT.

Thank you Mr. Lucas for SIX fantastic movies and I hope you still have input in the next three.