Disney B.A.D Parts

GNT

Reaction score
Apparently we might be seeing more Build A Droid parts available at Disney Park, check out the list here

Reaction score
That is going to be a nightmare for Astro Collectors. I feel for you guys.

Reaction score
The "Be Your Own Figure" is something of much more interest & excitement, IMO. WOW!

Reaction score
Finally found the topic about this hiding in the Legacy Collection section...

It'll be a nightmare to get all the parts, but it's also pretty cool. I'm going to DisneyWorld during CVI, so I have even more special figures to pick up!

Reaction score
I don't even know what to think about this...it's like my dream come true and a nightmare all in one. If it pans out, there are going to be some really amazing parts and you'll be able to build some killer-looking astros, but I can see these pieces selling $5+ on Ebay all day long. :(

Also, since when do R8s and R9s exist?

Reaction score
Don't know about R9s, but Mace Windu's droid was R8-B7 (briefly, in the Clone Wars)
But it looked like an R2, didn't it? I mean, each Astromech used to have it's own unique look and had names relating to it's model. Now Lucas films and EU just throw names around everywhere and they often don't match up to the design of the droid. Do R8s have a unique design like R1/2/3/4/5/6/7?

Reaction score
they've both been referenced in the novels, and were shown in the New Essential Guide to Droids:

Reaction score
OMG, I just found this thread and the dizzying amount of possibilities this brings to the table is enough to induce a Nerdgasm. I am so all over this!!! I think this almost makes the the Sandcrawler a definite too for the next big vehicle as well as it's potential tie in to such a promotion.

Reaction score
hopefully you can just buy one bag with one of every part in it.

And $100 for the figure is expensive...but custom bobbleheads are around that price...And female bodies are needed (ANH Leia, TPM Queen and E2 Padme are probably the best....though, I'm sure there is a girl or two (along with their bf) that wouldn't mind seeing the slave Leia body...)

Reaction score
If it comes with a cardback that is a picture of yourself then I'm in. Adam Pawlus isn't so unique now that we can all get figures of ourselves. Lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
This news is so unbelievably cool. Looks like I will be buying a whole lot of droid parts at celebration six. (And shelling out for a figure of myself.)

Reaction score
they've both been referenced in the novels, and were shown in the New Essential Guide to Droids:
Huh, interesting. I'm not really sure how I feel about those. I think I like them better than R7s...maybe...

pod

Reaction score
Okay, this rumor is crazy awesome awful. I mean, there had BETTER be an easy way for those who can't make it to a themepark on a certain weekend to be able to buy these things.

Those R8, R9 domes are pretty awful. Not as bad as the horrible 80's sci-fi look that the R7 has, but still pretty pointless. The R2 dome is the perfect combination of simplicity and utilitarianism. It looks totally practical, like the rest of the droid. Not like these things, which just look like some artist was trying too hard to make something look "futuristic".

If possible, I will be skipping all the parts from these non-canon astrodroids, except where they are identical to the actual droids seen onscreen (legs, some bodies).

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the machine they will be using to make you into an action figure...

And here's the guy who will be responsible for making sure the privacy of your 3-D image is kept secure in Disney's database...

*image removed, this isn't appropriate for the site*

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Oh...goodness. I never heard of this Build-A-Droid rumor. If its true, I'm in trouble. Might have to do some string-pulling. Or have a nerd breakdown.

Combinations will be endless. And my wallet will scream in pain.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oh...goodness. I never heard of this Build-A-Droid rumor. If its true, I'm in trouble. Might have to do some string-pulling. Or have a nerd breakdown.

Combinations will be endless. And my wallet will scream in pain.
I know what you mean. With all of the parts this sounds like it could potentially double my Astromech collection (Ok, maybe that's a bit of an overstatement, but definitely increase it by an amount that I never could have imagined!). I don't know what I'm going to do..XD I do wish there were more than two R3 heads available though, since they're my favorite. Still, a purple R3? Sounds awesome. :eek: I really hope it's true, though. This is the most excited I've been over a Star Wars rumor.

Reaction score
Thats at least 25 new Astromechs just counting the individual domes + assembled colour matching bodies.

Assuming some aren't re-releases & the rumours true.

Reaction score
There's always an easy way to get Disney exclusives. They have a phone ordering system.
But I think it's hinted at that these (R8, R9 specifically) are SW Weekends only exclusives, so you may not be able to do that with these.

Personally I think it's an insult to only offer these up at an event like that, what they need to do is sell another battle pack set and call it Droid Factory.

And since there wont be a need for Harnesses in this one they can be substituted by a fifth Droid.

pod

Reaction score
But I think it's hinted at that these (R8, R9 specifically) are SW Weekends only exclusives, so you may not be able to do that with these.

Personally I think it's an insult to only offer these up at an event like that, what they need to do is sell another battle pack set and call it Droid Factory.

And since there wont be a need for Harnesses in this one they can be substituted by a fifth Droid.

Could you expand on the R8 & R9 being a SW weekends exclusive? Are they saying the rest will be made available otherwise, like online? Or only that the rest of the parts have already been made available in the past in some form, and so only the new molds can be called 'exclusive'?

What they *really* need to do is to make a battlepack the way I've been advocating since the late 90s:

Make a single, standard package that can fit one each of the R2, R3, R4, and R5 astromechs in an "exploded" style format, so that the buyer can see that the parts can be switched around. Then offer at least 2-3 different sets in one wave, with each set offering a set of droids in unique schemes. Play up the fact that you can switch the parts around between the different sets on the back of the packaging. Make the sets partly color-coordinated, like have a yellow R3 dome in one set, with a matching yellow body on an R4 droid in another set. Each set should have a black Imperial droid of a different type (whose domes can be switched), and a droid whose body is a color other than basic white (yellow, green, blue, etc).

You could then do another set with all the EU droids - R6, R7, R8, R9.

Reaction score
I can't imagine them tooling up and making all of those droid parts, then only making them available for a single weekend...

Reaction score
Yep, that would be insane. I could imagine some exclusive starter for the event but I am sure they will have a wider release. This is actually the first thing I have been excited about from Disney in a long time. I mean, there was cool things like Teek but something in it's entirety is pretty rare for me.

Reaction score
Could you expand on the R8 & R9 being a SW weekends exclusive? Are they saying the rest will be made available otherwise, like online? Or only that the rest of the parts have already been made available in the past in some form, and so only the new molds can be called 'exclusive'?
Well I thought for sure I had read somewhere that those two were a weekends only exclusive but I can't find where I read it now.

As of right now everything is speculative and wont be confirmed til SWW gets closer.

Reaction score
I can't imagine them tooling up and making all of those droid parts, then only making them available for a single weekend...
Well, it's a series of weekends, but still... I think these will be ongoing, not just for sww.

Reaction score
As a hardcore astromech collector, this news is both awesome and distressing all at once. If this all turns out to be true, I MUST have these! The good thing is I only care about canon astros (R2, R3, R4, & R5), so I'm not interested in the EU ones in the least. May have to take a trip to Disney just to load up on these babies!

Reaction score
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantatio
It reminds me of the Potato Head parts I saw in one of the gift shops in the Magic Kingdom. You get a container and for a flat fee you can fill it with as many Potato Head parts that can fit. I wonder if they'll take this approach or make it a pay per part / pay per droid instead.

Either way I hope it's up and running when I visit in November. My son and I will go crazy.

Reaction score
I am still excited about this but looking at the parts list so far it doesn't look as though you can make much that is seen on screen. I hope that changes as more information develops.

Reaction score
I'd like the BAD parts to make up all the new Star Tours Astros, but most of them seem to have glossy White domes that arn't on the the parts list.

+ the white body with green detail R5 unit has one large glowing eye!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally found the right thread to this topic after mentioning about this in the Expanded Universe section.
I'm pretty psyched about these new additions to the Disney Parks. Now I'm really getting antsy and excited about heading to Orlando for CVI! $100 for a Be Your Own Star Wars character is a little steep, but I hope they do a bang up job on the headsculpt in the refining stages and the paintjob.
All-you-can-fit Astro parts in a Bucket deal (ala Mr. Potatohead) would be sweeeeet! That would make an awesome gift for my godson or 7 yr old second-cousin.

Reaction score
OMG, I just found this thread and the dizzying amount of possibilities this brings to the table is enough to induce a Nerdgasm. I am so all over this!!! I think this almost makes the the Sandcrawler a definite too for the next big vehicle as well as it's potential tie in to such a promotion.

"nerdgasm..." i like that.

same here took a while for me to find this thread. i was wondering where it might be. this is going to be fun and a royal pain in the a $ S. but i just don't understand how it would amount to 100$ per figure. that seems ludicrous for such a small piece of plastic... i mean i know the price of plastic has gone up for recycling... but my gosh:p. or am i missing something, is it going to be a bucket of parts for 100$? can someone explain disney exclusives? because i know the teek pack wasn't insanely expensive. i guess i don't collect to many disney exclusives to understand.

Last edited: