difference between potf and potf2??

Reaction score
The original POTF series was issued in 1984 and is considered part of the "vintage" line of toys. It was the last series of vintage figs.

POTF2 is the name of the series of SW figs when it was re-started in 1995.

Reaction score
The original POTF line came after the vintage ROTJ line ended in 1983. This line was the last of the vintage figures and the figures came with collectible coins (some were later re-released as the Millennium Minted Coin collection in 1998).

The POTF (2) line refers to the resurrected SW line that began in 1995 and ended in 2000. Even though it shares the exact same name as the old vintage line with coins, collectors refer to it as POTF2 to avoid confusion in the forums. We often tend to make up our own names for things, and the names stick. Another example is how we refer to the 2002 to 2004 figures as part of the "Saga" line. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
There are indeed POTF2 Snow troopers, releases as the standard Green carded Edition, and there was also a Freeze Frame version released as well. As stated above both of these POTF2 Figs were released after the 1995 New wave POTF.

I dont recall ever seeing a POTF Vintage Snowtrooper only the standard vintage line, ESB maybie an ROTJ (I am not excatly sure.)

Reaction score
Lieutenant_Needa said:
I dont recall ever seeing a POTF Vintage Snowtrooper only the standard vintage line, ESB maybie an ROTJ (I am not excatly sure.)
It does exist on ESB and ROTJ cardbacks, but not POTF, not even on an unproduced cardback.

Reaction score
So, what is the difference between the POTF and the POTF2 A-Wing and Tatooine Skiff? How can one tell them apart?

Reaction score
A-Wing: Apart from some cosmetic differences (POTF2 looks more used/battle worn, blaster colour), the older one had a weird noise generator I believe. Otherwise the same.

Skiff: Apart from some cosmetic differences, they are both pretty much the same features-wise.

Reaction score
While I'd love to pick one up, I don't know what the differences are. I'll look it up on the photo section. Thanks for the info, though! I'll know what to look for with the A-Wing.

Reaction score
So, what is the difference between the POTF and the POTF2 A-Wing and Tatooine Skiff? How can one tell them apart?
There is no POTF A-Wing. The line was cancelled before the toy could be released, so it was released in the Droids cartoon line in 1985 (which is why it has a slightly cartoonish deco to it). The POTF2 A-Wing, from 1997, is actually the first time the A-Wing was released as part of the realistic movie toy line. Like most of the POTF2 vehicles, it has much more detailed and realistic paint apps, but the electronic features have been removed completely. The 1985 Droids A-Wing is the only A-Wing toy to have electronics.

The POTF Tatooine Skiff (or Desert Skiff) was released in a POTF box in 1985, but is pretty rare and you are looking at over $300-$500 just for a loose one these days (over $1000 for a MIB version). The POTF2 Tatooine Skiff was a Target exclusive toy, released in 1999, with the standard POTF2 "weathering" paint apps, but has no stickers that need to be applied. The vintage Skiff has no paint apps whatsoever, but does have a handful of stickers that need to be applied to it. The surest way to tell the difference if you are unsure is to test the foot pegs. The vintage Skiff has foot pegs that only fit vintage figures. The POTF2 Skiff's foot pegs are so poorly designed that they don't fit any of the figures' feet, not even POTF2 figures.

As for the biggest differences between POTF and POTF2: POTF is vintage era. POTF2 is modern era. POTF were produced by Kenner, POTF2 were produced by Hasbro/Kenner. POTF figures are stylistically consistent with the rest of the vintage line. POTF2 has a unique style that doesn't fit with the vintage or the current modern lines.

Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that the POTF "last 17" figures (which simply means that they were the last 17 new figures to be released before the line was cancelled) are some of the rarest figures in the vintage Kenner line. If you wanted to collect a complete loose POTF set, then you are looking at about $50-$250 per figure (but this might be signficantly higher these days). If you wanted to collect the POTF figures mint on card, then you should be prepared to pay hundreds, even thousands, of dollars per figure.

POTF2 figures are pretty common and loose figures can usually be found for less than the original 1990s retail prices of $5 to $7 per figure. Mint on card might cost a bit more, but I've never had a problem finding any carded POTF2 figure for $15 or less. There might be a few exceptions, but generally POTF2 hasn't held onto any of its secondary market value.

Reaction score
its rather funny that it's common to say "last 17" when POTF introduced 14 new figs in USA and a 15th in foreign markets (Yak Face). The other 2 (Lumat and Paploo) were actually released in fall 1984 on ROTJ cards featuring printed on card offer for a mailaway Anakin (later released as on the the 14/15 POTF in 1985) Lumat and Paploo were the last to released on ROTJ cards and technically were just delayed releases from the 2nd ROTJ series. Same thing w/ Yoda, a lot consider him part of the 1981 ESB series 2 but he was really a purposely delayed series 1 figure held back until after ESB hit the theaters.

oh yes there was another...Vlix from Droids that was to be part of Droids series 2 but that line got 86'd before release planned for summer 1986. But this fig got a limited release in 1989 when Brazil's Glassite toys rereleased a few vintage/droids animated figs on a limited run. So Vlix is last vintage figure produced, but POTF is last movie based vintage line produced by Kenner

Last edited: