Did you or your parents give away anything you wanted to keep?

Reaction score
Sad fact is that I believe most or all of my original childhood Star Wars toys were either given away or thrown out after I (supposedly) grew up and out of them. I know one year we gave away our entire Atari console and games to a family whose house burnt down during the holidays. I don't regret it but I sure miss those SW toys, especially when my old man says he remembers buying me the Death Star playset! LOL. Oh man. I was like 4 when SW came out in theaters, and didn't remember getting the Death Star. I do remember playing with the X-Wing, Vaders Tie-Fighter, and Landspeeder, and also having many of the first wave figures (Luke, Leia, Vader, R2, Jawa, etc.) Even now I remember how they smelled straight out of the package. Ah, the sweet smell of toxic play things...how I wish you were still around.

Reaction score
My stuff was sold in a garage sale,

Not by me

Yup exact same thing happened to me. All of it, except my Boba Fett I got as a mail away in 79, still have that one. But all the rest, gone. Been a hell of a time trying to get them back one fig at a time. Luckily now I have reaquired all my loose figs. Now working on some playsets.

Reaction score
Yes, a lot of my early stuff was given to my second cousins and my mom pulled my stuff out of my storage closet when I was away at college. They were little kids at the time and played with a bunch of them in the pool and several figures went missing. It's what made me get back into collecting once I got on my feet and bought my home.

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure the pool skimmer swallowed at least one of my childhood originals. Seems like a popular death for SW figures in the late 80's. So then I'm also curious: What was the first item you repurchased to start collecting again? For me it was a carded POTF Jawa. :D

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure the pool skimmer swallowed at least one of my childhood originals. Seems like a popular death for SW figures in the late 80's. So then I'm also curious: What was the first item you repurchased to start collecting again? For me it was a carded POTF Jawa. :D
It was an afa 80 graded carded Small Head Han. That was the figure I loved the most after Boba Fett that went missing. I always disliked the large head Han.

After that it was Boba Fett, Chewy and then just the first 12, and then just the first 21, and then just everything I could find and afford.

Reaction score
Snowballed for me too. Got a bunch of loose figures, some carded ones, and some vehicles/playsets. I kind of lucked out when I got the droid factory. It had 2 complete three-legged R2D2's, though one had no sticker. I was also lucky to get into some of my rarer ones like the Droids Canadian carded 3PO/R2 before prices went into outer space! One yeah my wife even gifted me a carded POTF Amanaman AND carded ROTJ Luke X-wing Pilot. Most other stuff I try to get on the cheap when possible. No sense in throwing tons of money at stuff IMO.

Reaction score
I'm lucky that my mom really didn't get rid of much of anything, but unfortunately that included like every magazine for about a decade plus...so that was a fun recycling exercise. I have all of my figures and almost all of the accessories/weapons (across the board, not just Star Wars). The only exception was MOTU, which I'm sure I played with outside much much more, and broke a lot of the accessories, like Teela's armor, or outright lost it.

I had always wanted to display my Star Wars stuff, and finally started getting around to it with IKEA Detolf's around 2018, which is when I discovered that I had only thought I had a near-complete Kenner Star Wars run, and was missing most of the last 17, which put me back into it. I don't think I bought a figure from '03-ish until '18.

Reaction score
I'm lucky that my mom really didn't get rid of much of anything, but unfortunately that included like every magazine for about a decade plus...so that was a fun recycling exercise. I have all of my figures and almost all of the accessories/weapons (across the board, not just Star Wars). The only exception was MOTU, which I'm sure I played with outside much much more, and broke a lot of the accessories, like Teela's armor, or outright lost it.

I had always wanted to display my Star Wars stuff, and finally started getting around to it with IKEA Detolf's around 2018, which is when I discovered that I had only thought I had a near-complete Kenner Star Wars run, and was missing most of the last 17, which put me back into it. I don't think I bought a figure from '03-ish until '18.
That's cool that you were able to keep most of your stuff complete!

I know that there are some G.I.Joes in the junipers in my parents front yard. It was great to have the imagination to make H.A.L.O. fall from the sky and survive to fight with the Joes, but alas we's been MIA for 30 or more years now... Also in the landscaping are some NASA shuttles, Hot Wheels, etc., that were lost in my youth. Good times.

Reaction score
That's cool that you were able to keep most of your stuff complete!

I know that there are some G.I.Joes in the junipers in my parents front yard. It was great to have the imagination to make H.A.L.O. fall from the sky and survive to fight with the Joes, but alas we's been MIA for 30 or more years now... Also in the landscaping are some NASA shuttles, Hot Wheels, etc., that were lost in my youth. Good times.
That's awesome.

He-Man regularly fought Skeletor in the Sandbox and magnolia bushes and the stone wall next to it, which "looked" like Castle Greyskull. I'm surprised the figures were in okay shape when I got them out of storage, but most had dry rot on the leg bands.

Reaction score
Like many of you my mom coerced me into selling all my vintage SW in a garage sale…before the garage sale even started that am my savvy uncle I will never forget showed up -(he lived 45 mins away and his side hustle was comic books 40 years ago)- he must have known somehow my starwars was being sold. Now that should have signaled to my dear mom that perhaps these might be worth something someday. But alas the whole lot was put in a box and my Uncle got the goods! No clue what he paid my mom but Im sure I was rewarded w a five dollar bill.

Reaction score
Like many of you my mom coerced me into selling all my vintage SW in a garage sale…before the garage sale even started that am my savvy uncle I will never forget showed up -(he lived 45 mins away and his side hustle was comic books 40 years ago)- he must have known somehow my starwars was being sold. Now that should have signaled to my dear mom that perhaps these might be worth something someday. But alas the whole lot was put in a box and my Uncle got the goods! No clue what he paid my mom but Im sure I was rewarded w a five dollar bill.
Ever ask your uncle?

Reaction score
When I hit middle school, I packed up most of my childhood toys and put them in the attic. My parents threw it all out. I have less than 10 of my childhood toys. None of it is Star Wars.

Reaction score
When I hit middle school, I packed up most of my childhood toys and put them in the attic. My parents threw it all out. I have less than 10 of my childhood toys. None of it is Star Wars.
I always find this situation amusing (not to rub you the wrong way). Parents will complain about how much they paid for your toys when you accidentally (OK, maybe intentionally) lost or broke one of them as a kid, but not long afterwards they throw out what would become hundreds of dollars worth of toys without the blink of an eye.

The only thing I really found in my folks attic was a single Topps SW card that I still have. It's the only childhood thing I've found to date.

Reaction score
When I started getting into G.I. Joe and toy storage space was getting harder to find, my mom sold nearly all of mine and my brother's 1970s toy line toys. So all our Big Jim, Stretch Armstrong, Micronauts and most of our Adventure People ended up in a garage sale. At one point, I also had a fairly large collection of Lego's. Some were sets, but I also had two huge boxes of pieces from generic collections of pieces. Having learned from the garage sale experience, I stored them all in comic boxes next to my actual comic book collection, which I stored at my parents' house for a few years after I got married. I got an email one day telling me that she'd given them to my much younger cousin and asking if it was okay. It absolutely wasn't, but since she didn't ask beforehand, I never was able to get them back.

Reaction score
My mom had been wanting to get rid of them for awhile since I had outgrown them. I finally caved and bagged up all of my vintage Star Wars toys and gave them to a much older neighbor kid who was into collecting. I must have been around 9 or 10 at the time. Funny thing is when he brought them home his mom made him give them away to his younger cousins because she thought he was too old for toys. The only item I kept was the rancor monster which I still have to this day.

Reaction score
not a single item, but a plastic tote of items, sold at a resale shop. They had an original millenium falcon, atst, y wing, and a few mini rigs tossed into a plastic tote. they had it posted online for a total of twenty minutes (after 5 minutes I was at their store). the mf is missing 3 pieces, the y wing missing 2 struts, and one of the minirigs is complete. I also managed a vinyl case and about a dozen figures at a garage sale for twenty bucks (the resale shop find was twenty five bucks)

Reaction score
Went away to college, mom gave it all to goodwill in 1992.

About the time the special editions were released in theaters (1995 or so) I inquired about my childhood figures to find out in horror that they had been given away. I did find a box that had my first figure, ANH luke and the yoda I got for christmas missing all his accessories.

I started collecting POTF2 with a vengeance by 1998 and my kids grew up on POTF2/prequel figures for the next 10 years.

Now that they are grown, I packed away all the star wars stuff, with all their accessories, and they await the day when my boys ask me "whatever happened to all our star wars toys?"

Now the figures only risk is me wanting to cannibalize them for customs. That used to not be an issue, but the price for used figs is out of control now.

Reaction score
I had several sets of Star Wars and Star Trek micromachine sets, ships, characters etc. got them at $2 each set, when we moved cross country, and the movers proved crooked, they stole several boxes of things, counting the micromachines!