Did you like TLJ, Yes or No?

Reaction score
I am legitimately curious as to what the ratio is on the forum. So if you could, post:

The Last Jedi- Yes or No
The Force Awakens- Yes or No
Age-

If you're somewhere in the middle or indifferent and don't know what to put, consider the question this way-- Are you content with it the way it is? Or would you prefer something different from what it is?

I don't make the rules so I can't stop you, and I know this is the internet, so it can be hard, but please refrain from peppering in your fleshed out opinions on the film and from throwing in snarky or backhanded comments one way or the other. We've got threads all over the forum for bickering and pontificating.

I'm just curious how many people did or did not like The Last Jedi. And for posterity whether or not they/you/we liked The Force Awakens. And the age question is just to see if it's much of a generational thing or not. It's not to label older members as stubborn or younger members as immature. Skip the age question if you want to.

The Last Jedi- No
The Force Awakens- Yes
Age- 36

Reaction score
TFA- yes
TLJ- yes
age- 17

edit: since there's an idea circulating about a generational “divide” I'll post my opinions for other movies

ANH- yes
ESB- yes
RoTJ- sure, Vader's death saves it alone
TPM- hell no
AotC- ehhhhhhhh
RotS- sure, I think it's pretty good
RO: MASSIVELY overrated, but fine

Last edited:
Reaction score
TFA - NO
TLJ - can't answer - haven't watched, but based on what I know happens, give it an honorary NO

I'll add the way Red5 did above, but simplify it

Episodes 1-6, + RO - YES

Ian

Reaction score
TFA-A passable Yes
Last Jed-Hell Yes.

Age 40.

Honestly, minus Episode I and II, I will give the other films high marks.

Reaction score

TFA - no, just an empty unoriginal experience overall, though retrospectively TLJ helped its qualities to stand out somewhat
TLJ - yes, quite decent, I'm not bothered by the twists and swerves that much and they definitely make this episode unique. I've only seen it twice so far and am curious how it'll hold up to repeated viewings

Reaction score

TFA - no, just an empty unoriginal experience overall, though retrospectively TLJ helped its qualities to stand out somewhat
TLJ - yes, quite decent, I'm not bothered by the twists and swerves that much and they definitely make this episode unique. I've only seen it twice so far and am curious how it'll hold up to repeated viewings
Wow. I haven't seen anyone actually warm up to the sequels after TFA disappointed them. Interesting.

Reaction score
TFA - Yes
TLJ - No

SW: Yes
Holiday Special: No
ESB: Yes
ROTJ: Yes
TPM: Yes
AOTC: No
ROTS: No
Clone Wars Movie: Yes
Clone Wars Show: No
Rebels: No
R1: Yes

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've never seen anyone prefer TCW movie to the series.
Some of the first few episodes were pretty kiddy and he might've formed his opinion based on those. There are loads of story arcs that were way better than the movie though.

Reaction score
TFA - no
TLJ - no
ROTJ - no
everything else is... acceptable. (and/or awesome).

born in the 60's.

Reaction score
Wow. I haven't seen anyone actually warm up to the sequels after TFA disappointed them. Interesting.
I was of the exact right age to see TPM, 9 years, same as kid Anakin. Growing up with the prequels allowed my generation to garner as much nostalgia for these films as the original trilogy. Therefore, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to new SW content. I really wanted to love TFA, but the blatant ripping off ANH bothered me to no end. After seeing TLJ, I can appreciate the efforts TFA took to build up the new main leads Rey, Kylo, Finn and Poe and their ongoing story. Especially Kylo's and Rey's arcs stand out much more with TLJ in mind. What I hate about TFA is its lack of new environments, creatures, ship designs and action set pieces. Everything is so familiar, the sole sequence that felt unique to this episode was the Rathtar scene, which made me want the figures based on it. I'm also collecting the released characters from Jakku and Takodana, in an effort to give TFA more of its own footprint in my collection. This also helps making me appreciate it more.

As for TLJ, films can go in directions you might not expect or like and they might do things to characters you didn't consider. That's not what makes a film bad though, as long as the story and character arcs are solid, I don't mind seeing a classic character becoming a failure or everything turning sour. I thought the way Alien3 overrode the happy ending of Aliens was bold and quite awesome. Sure, it did away with the "and they lived happily ever after" feeling of Aliens, but it also pushed Ripley into new territory and made for quite a poignant, poetic closure to (at the time) the alien trilogy. Then they mucked it up with the pointless Ressurection, an Aliens-lite with some serious tone issues, despite the fun pirate gang.

The Sequel Trilogy's override of RotJ's happy ending reminded me of that. We now have a gloomy, moping failure of a Luke, who is a very interesting character, especially the way he picks himself up in this film. We also got a tired Leia, desperate after all the loss and in TFA, an actual smuggling Han, who couldn't help but become a father figure for Rey. Han and Leia's evil son who is beyond redemption and succeeds where his grandfather failed. He is now basically the Emperor, and without cybernetics to stay alive.

Now would you have preferred an overly-perfect post-RotJ setting with all the OT mains in the lead again? 50+ y/o Han and Leia happily married and parents of three, Luke a succesful master of an entire Academy, Lando the king of the Anoat system? What would the new threat be to the old gang? Would you want them to adapt the EU novels and games, giving you a story you've already seen? No new young cast to hand the reigns to?

If the PT had been released first, fans would've complained Obi-Wan, Yoda and the Emperor were sidelined in the OT and along came all these youngsters stealing screen time. Every trilogy is about a new generation, with the old one guiding them. Taking the story in unexpected turns makes me greatly interested to see the pay-off in IX.

I really understand it if you prefer the EU, heck, I love it as well. The way I see the current situation is much like Marvel. The EU is like the main Marvel comic timeline. The actual canon that most stories are built around. Disney-SW is like the MCU, it makes new stories based on the concepts of the EU, but plays with it, throwing characters and concepts around to surprise and shock us, as well as wow us. And sometimes we get a genuine surprise, like Kylo Ren basically being Jacen Solo and Thrawn re-entering canon. Neither is more valid than the other, it's just an alternative way to play around with this vast galaxy of opportunities.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was of the exact right age to see TPM, 9 years, same as kid Anakin. Growing up with the prequels allowed my generation to garner as much nostalgia for these films as the original trilogy. Therefore, I'm pretty open-minded when it comes to new SW content. I really wanted to love TFA, but the blatant ripping off ANH bothered me to no end. After seeing TLJ, I can appreciate the efforts TFA took to build up the new main leads Rey, Kylo, Finn and Poe and their ongoing story. Especially Kylo's and Rey's arcs stand out much more with TLJ in mind. What I hate about TFA is its lack of new environments, creatures, ship designs and action set pieces. Everything is so familiar, the sole sequence that felt unique to this episode was the Rathtar scene, which made me want the figures based on it. I'm also collecting the released characters from Jakku and Takodana, in an effort to give TFA more of its own footprint in my collection. This also helps making me appreciate it more.

As for TLJ, films can go in directions you might not expect or like and they might do things to characters you didn't consider. That's not what makes a film bad though, as long as the story and character arcs are solid, I don't mind seeing a classic character becoming a failure or everything turning sour. I thought the way Alien3 overrode the happy ending of Aliens was bold and quite awesome. Sure, it did away with the "and they lived happily ever after" feeling of Aliens, but it also pushed Ripley into new territory and made for quite a poignant, poetic closure to (at the time) the alien trilogy. Then they mucked it up with the pointless Ressurection, an Aliens-lite with some serious tone issues, despite the fun pirate gang.

The Sequel Trilogy's override of RotJ's happy ending reminded me of that. We now have a gloomy, moping failure of a Luke, who is a very interesting character, especially the way he picks himself up in this film. We also got a tired Leia, desperate after all the loss and in TFA, an actual smuggling Han, who couldn't help but become a father figure for Rey. Han and Leia's evil son who is beyond redemption and succeeds where his grandfather failed. He is now basically the Emperor, and without cybernetics to stay alive.

Now would you have preferred an overly-perfect post-RotJ setting with all the OT mains in the lead again? 50+ y/o Han and Leia happily married and parents of three, Luke a succesful master of an entire Academy, Lando the king of the Anoat system? What would the new threat be to the old gang? Would you want them to adapt the EU novels and games, giving you a story you've already seen? No new young cast to hand the reigns to?

If the PT had been released first, fans would've complained Obi-Wan, Yoda and the Emperor were sidelined in the OT and along came all these youngsters stealing screen time. Every trilogy is about a new generation, with the old one guiding them. Taking the story in unexpected turns makes me greatly interested to see the pay-off in IX.

I really understand it if you prefer the EU, heck, I love it as well. The way I see the current situation is much like Marvel. The EU is like the main Marvel comic timeline. The actual canon that most stories are built around. Disney-SW is like the MCU, it makes new stories based on the concepts of the EU, but plays with it, throwing characters and concepts around to surprise and shock us, as well as wow us. And sometimes we get a genuine surprise, like Kylo Ren basically being Jacen Solo and Thrawn re-entering canon. Neither is more valid than the other, it's just an alternative way to play around with this vast galaxy of opportunities.
Well thought out and reasoned. I may not agree with the assessment of TLJ, but you presented your case in a non-confrontational and logical way. Wonderful post.

I have to admit, you may well have a valid point on how the OT would have been seen had the PT been released first. Definitely food for thought.

Ian

RDM

Reaction score
TFA - No
TLJ - No
RO - Yes

TPM - Yes
AOTC - Yes
ROTS - Yes
ANH - Yes
ESB - Yes
ROTJ - Yes

Reaction score
TFA: Yes
TLJ: Yes

ANH: Yes
ESB: Yes
ROTJ: Yes
TPM: Yes
AOTC: Yes
ROTS: Yes
RO: Yes

In short, Star Wars: Yes.

Reaction score
TFA: No
TLJ: NO NO NO!

As a few have said, 1 - 6 and R1, yes, they are my heart and soul. Don't tell the wife to be.��

Reaction score
Well thought out and reasoned. I may not agree with the assessment of TLJ, but you presented your case in a non-confrontational and logical way. Wonderful post.

I have to admit, you may well have a valid point on how the OT would have been seen had the PT been released first. Definitely food for thought.

Ian
We need Superman to turn back the world.

Reaction score
The Last Jedi- Indifferent, in that I don't care about it one way or the other
The Force Awakens- Initially yes, but I am growing increasingly indifferent towards it as time goes on. I think it all depends on what they ultimately do with Rey as a character.
Age- 44

Rogue One: Yes, even though it has some eye-rollingly bad moments (Jyn beating fully-armored Stormtroopers unconscious with a billy-club being the worst moment of the entire film and maybe one of the worst Star Wars scenes of all time).

Reaction score
I was going to post the same. In another thread he claims you, a few others and myself all need an enema. When there’s a decent exchange he shows up and throws in a snarky comment. This of course will lead to claims of “it’s just a joke”. Which it is, but it’s meant to provoke.

Reaction score
I've never seen anyone prefer TCW movie to the series.
The movie had Jabba and Jawas! Iliked the first season alright, but the rest just got so inane. How many times can they fight Dooku and Grievous again? Poison lunches? Please. I gave up in the middle somewhere, so if the last bits were good (and I suspect not because Maul returns) that's on them for losing me in the middle stretch.

No judgement! :D

I guess I prefer my prequel-era on the "kiddie" side, AOTC and ROTS are both easy skips, but I love TPM (Ani, JarJar and all!) right up there with ROTJ.

Reaction score
I was going to post the same. In another thread he claims you, a few others and myself all need an enema. When there’s a decent exchange he shows up and throws in a snarky comment. This of course will lead to claims of “it’s just a joke”. Which it is, but it’s meant to provoke.
kettle lad

Reaction score
The movie had Jabba and Jawas! Iliked the first season alright, but the rest just got so inane. How many times can they fight Dooku and Grievous again? Poison lunches? Please. I gave up in the middle somewhere, so if the last bits were good (and I suspect not because Maul returns) that's on them for losing me in the middle stretch.

No judgement! :D

I guess I prefer my prequel-era on the "kiddie" side, AOTC and ROTS are both easy skips, but I love TPM (Ani, JarJar and all!) right up there with ROTJ.
Maul returning was great.

But if you ever have the time watch season 4 episodes 7-10. It's only 4 episodes and it's easily Clone Wars best(it's a bit darker than most but that doesn't stop it's greatness). Please.

Reaction score
kettle lad
In all honesty, and intended with respect, when I was banned two years ago for losing it in the TFA discussion, some people, including you, were given suspensions for provoking things and name calling. I'm much calmer this time, and even though we disagree, do we really need you returning to these silly name calling ways? Disagree with us if you wish, but keep it civil and mature, dude.

Ian

Reaction score
In all honesty, and intended with respect, when I was banned two years ago for losing it in the TFA discussion, some people, including you, were given suspensions for provoking things and name calling. I'm much calmer this time, and even though we disagree, do we really need you returning to these silly name calling ways? Disagree with us if you wish, but keep it civil and mature, dude.

Ian
just pointing out the hypocrisy of his post