Diamond Select to produce 1/4 scale figures????

Reaction score
From the front page;

"This just in: Diamond Select Toys will be producing a line of Star Wars collectibles! 1/4 scale articulated cloth figures with sound effects built into the bodies, collectible banks, 1/3 rotocast figures, and more."

Um, I thought SS had the license for 1/4" figures. I don't get it.

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw the Obi, the sculpt looks weak definitely a pass, hopefully there other sculpts will be better.

K_D

Reaction score
Re: Diamond Select to produce 1/4 scale figures???

Looking closely at the pic (sign bottom right) it looks like the cost may be $75! thats a pretty big difference. Don't like the face sculpt though.

Reaction score

How many licenses do you need? I think this just further dilutes the Star Wars franchise.

I also never understood why Marvel, who has Bowen (busts and statues) and Hasbro (action figures- games-role play among other things) has diamond making both statues and busts as well as action figures, sometimes of the same subject matter at the same time

K_D

Reaction score

They may make some of the armoured figures, those I would buy.
Looking at the DS site it looks like Jedi Luke is going to be the first release.

Reaction score

The quality of the PF 1/4 figures is so great that this line will not be a threat.

But, if this is just a mock up and the production head/neck is better, this line will blow away SS's 1/6th line, as it only costs $10 more for a much larger product

Reaction score

K_D said:
They may make some of the armoured figures, those I would buy.
Looking at the DS site it looks like Jedi Luke is going to be the first release.
That's what came to my mind! Armored characters!!!

Reaction score

This justs brings up so many questions.

Did SS not renew thier license?

If Lucasfilm is going to allow multiple companies to produce the same items, will we see more props and statues from companies besides EFX and Gentle Giant?

And if not, why?

If this new line takes off, will it force SS to lower thier prices? Can they?

Looking at the picture of Ben, I'm not impressed with the sculpt or the cloth used for his clothes. However, if it truly is only going to retail for $75..

Not to mention the 1/3 scale line. I'll be very interested to see what they come up with there.

Reaction score

I'm all for choice and competition, but I think these are geared to a different market than the SS 1/4 stuff.

But I agree the 1/6 line will be facing stiff competition at this projected price point.

Reaction score

These are basically 1/4 scale action figures. I don't see this line doing very well. I can't imagine many figure collectors are going to want something this big. People who do want to collect something this big are likely to stick with the SS stuff.

K_D

Reaction score

I'm sure if they release armoured figures though alot of the SS PF collectors will go for them.
I wouldnt be interested in any of the human figures if that Obi-Wan sculpt is anything to go by but I'll jump at some troopers.
1/4 scale clones, stormies, snowtroopers, Jango. They may even do some aliens!

I've just realised whats bugging me about that Obi-Wan other than the face, he doesnt have a belt?

Reaction score

These will be 1/4 actions figures...basically.

SSC has 1/4 scale PF statues.

This is LFL just offering another option to the legion of Star Wars fans and collectors. These are not high-end collectibles like Sideshow offers in the 1/4 scael format.

Reaction score

not for me but i can see them being popular

remember star wars isnt only for adults

Reaction score

At that price its looks to me that this can be a winner..Remember this is only a prototype.

IMO I kind of like, but I already have the SS Obi...and I just dont have space for other lines...

K_D

Reaction score

If Diamond have any sense they'll do the main characters like it says on the article on the website and then go for stuff SS won't be doing for along time background charcters, troopers, droids etc. That way I can see alot of the SS collectors buying into the line to display along side the PF's so long as the quality is good.
Won't anyone be tempted by the ROTJ Jedi Luke if it looks good? I'm actually quite excited about this line it could be the way we get our 1/4 scale charcters we don't want to pay big money for!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>

The Star Wars Ultimate Quarter Scale line will include Star Wars characters from all six feature films. Each figure will include cloth outfits and accessories as well as an authentic sound clip from the massive Star Wars franchise. This line of hyper-detailed and super poseable figures will begin this summer with Luke Skywalker – Jedi Knight and will continue to include other fan favorites such as Han Solo, Darth Maul and Obi Wan Kenobi without neglecting Star Wars’ rich cast of supporting characters.

[/QUOTE]

They even mention creating supporting characters, its a shame they've decided to go with 4 which SS have already made but for the first batch but I'm still interested to see the Jedi Luke.

Also pretty curios about this 1/3 (24") scale stuff too. It will be a line I'll avoid but still interesting too see.

Reaction score

I'm interested in the abstract, but don't feel particularly motivated to embrace or condemn the line based on a single photo and a Toy Fair announcement.

Reaction score

blue_rogue said:
I can't imagine many figure collectors are going to want something this big. People who do want to collect something this big are likely to stick with the SS stuff.
Personally I agree with that sentiment for my own collecting. I collect the SS 1:6 line precisely because I like their display size; I'm not interested in replacing my 1:6 collection with something physically larger. If there is something special I want in that scale I would prefer the higher quality that a SS PF statue would give me.

Reaction score

An interesting development. I'm only picking up the Sith PF figures due to cost and space. I think I would probably only pick up a few of these on a figure but figure basis depending on what they looked like. Even then I would probably only consider Sith, armoured troopers, and aliens.

Reaction score

The only things that I imagine picking up in the new lines (1/3 and 1/4) would be a biker scout with bike, a han in carbonite and R2 and 3PO.

Reaction score

DARTHPOTTS1975 said:
not for me but i can see them being popular

remember star wars isnt only for adults
I don't know about you, but I don't foresee myself buying my son a $75 action figure that will likely end up one day falling 20 feet from my upper patio deck to the cement below in a detailed recreation of the Death Star chasm bridge scene in ANH.

-theropod

Reaction score

theropod said:
I don't know about you, but I don't foresee myself buying my son a $75 action figure that will likely end up one day falling 20 feet from my upper patio deck to the cement below in a detailed recreation of the Death Star chasm bridge scene in ANH.

-theropod
Ooh, but now that you put it that way, I'm way more interested in them. Better it happen to the $75 toy than to daddy's PFs. Think of it as insurance (plus, I bet it would survive the fall...it would be beat up, certainly, but good toys always get battle worn).

Reaction score

Mister_Gosh said:
theropod said:

-theropod
Ooh, but now that you put it that way, I'm way more interested in them. Better it happen to the $75 toy than to daddy's PFs. Think of it as insurance (plus, I bet it would survive the fall...it would be beat up, certainly, but good toys always get battle worn).
Haha. Good point.
For that very reason I have taken precautions to my collection.
Everything is either up high (and difficult to climb to) or has my not-so patented Detolf lock system in place.

My son also enjoys his own set of "do not touch" collectibles - Lego maquettes. They are perfect because of their kid friendly design and if he's behaved during the week, every Saturday he is addicted to the game for a couple hours. Since I got him his first maquette, he has a totally different respect for my statues and other items.

I only wish I had my original Optimus Prime locked in a Detolf instead of with me on the roof of our garage that fateful day in 1985.

-theropod

Reaction score

theropod said:
I only wish I had my original Optimus Prime locked in a Detolf instead of with me on the roof of our garage that fateful day in 1985.

-theropod
"One shall stand, one shall fall."

Reaction score

Wizard has a pic of the Darth Maul on their website. Looks fairly decent to me. Due to the size of these i will probably only get the ones that interest me most like the Sith and troopers. If retail is $75 then don't forget that most online retailers sell for about 15-20% less and that puts them in direct competition with Sideshow. I guess what it's going to come down to is the quality and for that, we will have to just wait and see. I kind of lean towards Sideshow figures still having the higher attention to detail.

Reaction score

Maul doesnt look bad, I would pick up Vader if it looks pretty good. Full size yoda is interesting.$$

Reaction score

joda76 said:
Maul doesnt look bad, I would pick up Vader if it looks pretty good. Full size yoda is interesting.$$
I wonder if the production figures will live up to their prototypes...

Reaction score

Thanks Vader-Anyone have one of Jedi Luke?

Reaction score

I think these things look pretty damn cool....I must be the only one.

...and they're cheaper than Sideshow's 12"ers now.

Reaction score

I am curious to see what their 1:1 Yoda will look like...

Reaction score

SirTristram said:
I think these things look pretty damn cool....I must be the only one.

...and they're cheaper than Sideshow's 12"ers now.
To me the head sculpts on both the Maul and Obi-Wan posted here look very inferior to what we have with the SS 1:6 line of the same characters, (those are the only two I've seen posted so far.)

Proof to me that larger doesn't necessarily mean better; I'm sticking with Sideshow for my figures, I prefer their quality.

Reaction score

I want to hear the voice chips.

I'd get the Luke Jedi if it's good.

"I'm a Jedi....Like my Father before me."

Reaction score

SirTristram said:
I want to hear the voice chips.

I'd get the Luke Jedi if it's good.

"I'm a Jedi....Like my Father before me."
That would be pretty cool, I would wanna see in hand pics before deciding if Id get one.

Reaction score

Has anyone seen any pics of the Hoth gear Han?

Reaction score

After seeing that picture of Maul I think it's going to be an easy pass for me. The quality doesn't look too good, not that I'm expecting it to rival a PF at that price. The proportions of the body don't look right and legs look gangly. I need to see more and better pictures to judge them.

Reaction score

One thing they did get right with Maul that SS and Medicom both failed to do - they put an expression on his face, one that fits his character rather than a blank stare.