DETENTION BLOCK RESCUE - Playset Question?

Reaction score
Hey there,

This is a very cool playset, I'm wondering.. Does this playset connect to another? Say I bought two of the same playsets would they both connect together to make a longer detention block corridor? Or does this piece connect to a different playset?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Unfortunately that set does not connect with itself or any other set. Both this and the Death Star Chasm are stand alone sets. You may be able to makeshift a way for them to interconnect though.

Reaction score
Even though you can't really connect this to another set, I highly recomend it. It's really a great display base.

Reaction score
I have both and they're very cool. This one can't be placed next to another of the same thing due to the sliding door on one end and the many guns on the other end.

The Death Star Chasm however does seem like you could set as many as you wanted in a line and they'd line up perfectly. More than two or three might look funny though. I'm now missing the cardboard "floor" on that one.

Reaction score
Hasbro should really do sets that connect together as a pack in their new ultimate figure battle packs. Have the 3 big chains each get their own set but toss in a section of a playset that will connect to the others. Do Death Star, and Bespin etc...

Reaction score
This is my favorite playset from POTF2. Here's a pic of my playset.

Reaction score
M_Kunst said:
Unfortunately that set does not connect with itself or any other set. Both this and the Death Star Chasm are stand alone sets. You may be able to makeshift a way for them to interconnect though.
Even if it was connectable, they probably wouldn't connect right. All those stands from Saga 1 through ROTS had interlocking pieces but they never lined up right with another stand. Never made any sense to me why they had connecting pieces if you couldn't connect them to other figure stands, especially the ROTS stands.

Reaction score
echoplex said:
M_Kunst said:
Even if it was connectable, they probably wouldn't connect right. All those stands from Saga 1 through ROTS had interlocking pieces but they never lined up right with another stand. Never made any sense to me why they had connecting pieces if you couldn't connect them to other figure stands, especially the ROTS stands.
Yeah, I never understood why they didn't make them so they could connect in a chain. The Felucia, Degobah and Kashyyyk ones were somewhat reasonable since you could make small diorama-like patches with them but the figures couldn't stand on them very well. I found themto be the most worthless stands ever.

Reaction score
Yeah, the dagobah stands kinda work and you can connect vader's droid to his operating table which hooks up to the mustafar plaset but it doesn't make any sense. Just like those ROTS battle scenes that connect to the mustafar playset.

Reaction score
I stumbled upon this set earlier today, somehow, and just bought one eBay. It seems pretty nice, and for $15, isn't a huge risk. I also got the chasm set for $12.

I keep saying this, but these ​are it for me buying POTF stuff.

Reaction score
I'm really surprised that Hasbro didn't pursue these sets as modular that could connect together in some way. Seems like a missed opportunity.

Reaction score
Hasbro should really do sets that connect together as a pack in their new ultimate figure battle packs. Have the 3 big chains each get their own set but toss in a section of a playset that will connect to the others. Do Death Star, and Bespin etc...
I think a makeshift playset of the original DS, the 2 from POTF, Theed Generator and the Theed Hangar would make for great fun. Has anyone done this? What other playsets would fit in thematically?

Reaction score
This POTF2 Detention Block Rescue & the Chasm playset (both were released at the same time) are extremely sub-par & way-too-small playsets. You can't really do much with them - they both seem to be "unfinished", and I agree it would be great if they were able to connect with either each other or other playsets, similar to the "modular" mini-playsets that Kenner came out with in the '80's.

I got both the DBR and the Chasm playsets when they came out back in 1996, but unloaded them several years later.

There was also a Hoth & Endor POTF2 playsets in 1997, and both of these were crap as well.

The SW playsets that Kenner came out with back in the late '70's/early '80's (Death Star, Hoth Imperial Attack Base, Dagobah, etc.) were far superior to these POTF2 P.O.S.'s.

Reaction score
This POTF2 Detention Block Rescue & the Chasm playset (both were released at the same time) are extremely sub-par & way-too-small playsets. You can't really do much with them - they both seem to be "unfinished", and I agree it would be great if they were able to connect with either each other or other playsets, similar to the "modular" mini-playsets that Kenner came out with in the '80's.

I got both the DBR and the Chasm playsets when they came out back in 1996, but unloaded them several years later.

There was also a Hoth & Endor POTF2 playsets in 1997, and both of these were crap as well.

The SW playsets that Kenner came out with back in the late '70's/early '80's (Death Star, Hoth Imperial Attack Base, Dagobah, etc.) were far superior to these POTF2 P.O.S.'s.
I know these were kenner, but somewhat related; everytime hasbro has said in the last 10 years or so that playsets don't sell well, I've always figuratively screamed at the screen "Have you considered the playsets you're making aren't very good?!"

Reaction score
Hanging out in a room with shelves full of stuff I
I know these were kenner, but somewhat related; everytime hasbro has said in the last 10 years or so that playsets don't sell well, I've always figuratively screamed at the screen "Have you considered the playsets you're making aren't very good?!"
Dont worry by this time in 1996 when these were released Kenner as a stand alone company had been purchased by Hasbro.

Reaction score
...everytime hasbro has said in the last 10 years or so that playsets don't sell well, I've always figuratively screamed at the screen "Have you considered the playsets you're making aren't very good?!"
Since the modern line began in '95, I've read at least 1-2 interview(s) with Hasbro where they stated that the toy market in the '90's-now is not the same as it was in the late '70's/'80's (original Vintage era) - which is why playsets aren't as popular as they once were. I disagree with this, however - I think that, if done properly, even now playsets could sell well. Hasbro just doesn't know how to produce/market these so that they're appealing.

I've always said that "modular" playsets are the way to go these days - i.e., having smaller playsets that could hook together seamlessly with each other to form one large playset. The best time for Hasbro to have released OT playsets would have been in the 200X's; I don't see them doing anything like this now, especially with the focus on the new films.

Reaction score
I really like both of These sets a lot as well as the Endor Bunker Piece and the Hoth trenches. I know they're a bit small, but they make for decent sets to Display figures. I actually passed up on These in the 90s and started getting them a few years back. I've got 3 of the detention escape and 1 of the chasm sets. It would have been nice to see These hook together somehow.

I also agree that modular is the way to go and you make sure that all of the bases connect in any possible combination. Hasbro's last playsets left a lot to be desired and they were missed opportunities. The ROTS Mustafar set could have been so much cooler with a control room with Computers and Displays as well as a table with chairs. The whole idea of just using it for Obi and Ani to fight really limited it.

I was really surprised that they never tried to make something from the Clone Wars.

Reaction score
The main issue I have with the '90's playsets are their small size; there is very little play value with these when taken on an individual basis. And, compare these to the late '70's/'80's Kenner SW playsets like the excellent Hoth Imperial Attack Base, Death Star (cheap by today's standards, but still a lot of play value), Dagobah, Ewok Village, etc. - the '90's playsets truly pale in comparison.

Conversely, if Hasbro had instead produced Death Star Modular playsets that could hook up to each other, even if they had been of a smaller size, taken collectively they would have been very nice. I'm imagining something like a slightly larger Detention block rescue playset, that could be hooked up to:

3-4 other hallway segments to recreate the long hallway that Luke/Chewie went down to rescue Leia - as seen in the film, that hallway went on seemingly forever (though I'm sure it was just an effects shot/painting).

A Death Star control room that connected to the hallway.

Trash Compactor w/Dia Noga creature.

Area where Darth Vader/Obi wan had their lightsaber duel.

Area where Obi wan turned off the tractor beam.

Area where Luke/Leia swung over the chasm (which was made into a POTF2 small playset).

Reaction score
I like all of your ideas. It really is too bad that at least the two DS playsets from the 90s didn't hook together somehow.