Dengar & IG-88 Retro Collection 2 Pack

GNT

Reaction score

Star Wars Retro Collection Special Bounty Hunters 2-Pack Dengar & IG-88 - Amazon Exclusive​

Amazon Link. $27.99

Pictures:

1645648049126.jpeg
1645648111869.jpeg

1645648142859.jpeg
1645648168937.jpeg

1645648192376.jpeg
1645648226910.jpeg

Dengar is an effective bounty hunter preferring firepower and destruction to finesse and style.

IG-88 is a chrome war droid turned bounty hunter who answered the call to capture the Millennium Falcon.

Kids and collectors alike can imagine the biggest battles and missions in the Star Wars saga with figures from Star Wars Retro Collection! With exquisite features and decoration, this series embodies the quality and realism that Star Wars devotees love. Star Wars Retro Collection includes figures from the 40-plus-year legacy of the Star Wars Galaxy, including movies and live-action series.

Features & details​

• STAR WARS RETRO COLLECTION: The Star Wars Retro Collection features design and detailing inspired by the original 1970s Star Wars figures
  • ICONIC STAR WARS CHARACTERS: This action figure 2-pack is inspired by the characters in Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, and includes Dengar and IG-88 (Bounty Hunter) presented on individual Retro Collection cardbacks
  • KENNER-INSPIRED PACKAGING AND DETAILING: The Star Wars Retro Collection 3.75-inch-scale figures feature 5 points of articulation, classic Kenner branding, as well as packaging treated with a weathered look (Each sold separately. Subject to availability.)
  • STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK MOVIE-INSPIRED DESIGN: Fans and collectors can imagine scenes from the Star Wars Galaxy with these premium Dengar & IG-88 (Bounty Hunter) toys, inspired by the classic movie
  • SERIES-BASED CHARACTER-INSPIRED ACCESSORIES: These Star Wars Retro Collection action figures come with entertainment-inspired accessories and make a great addition to any Star Wars collection

Will you be picking up this set?

Reaction score
Hey!! This set has its own thread now.

Still on the fence with this set as I have the originals and have been mainly picking up characters that I never had the originals of.

Reaction score
I'll be getting them when they come up in the UK, Dengar was always a favourite of mine, I always had the six bounty hunters as a unit, with Boba in charge of course and look forward to getting the gang back together again.

Reaction score
Preordered. Not happy about the $15 per figure new price for retros. These sets should be priced at $19.99.

Yeah, that seems like the one thing holding this assortment back - how do they think 5 POA is worth the same as TVC? They should be selling and marketing these as the new basic line for $8 and get a wide variety of consumers to jump in.

Reaction score
Please please please pave the way for Retro Cantina Packs!!!
Cantina packs with some new patrons. Due to their original vintage line inclusion, greedo, snaggletooth, hammerhead and walrus man were the most iconic cantina patrons but after them what 2-3 characters are equally iconic and could easily fit in the retro line? I’d say:

Figrin Dan
Labria
Dr Evazan
Nabrun leid
Muftak
Lak Sirvak

in terms of anking a figure though, aside from Figrin, I have no idea who Hasbro would consider making.

Reaction score
Yeah, that seems like the one thing holding this assortment back - how do they think 5 POA is worth the same as TVC? They should be selling and marketing these as the new basic line for $8 and get a wide variety of consumers to jump in.
maybe they're looking at super 7 prices?

Reaction score
Cantina packs with some new patrons. Due to their original vintage line inclusion, greedo, snaggletooth, hammerhead and walrus man were the most iconic cantina patrons but after them what 2-3 characters are equally iconic and could easily fit in the retro line? I’d say:

Figrin Dan
Labria
Dr Evazan
Nabrun leid
Muftak
Lak Sirvak

in terms of anking a figure though, aside from Figrin, I have no idea who Hasbro would consider making.

Figrin Dan
Nabrun Leids
Duro #1
Duro #2

Are my top picks. AFTER Walrus Man, Greedo, Snaggletooth, and Hammerhead.

Reaction score
My fantasty Retro release would be a four pack of Kenner’s Original Cantina Aliens released with vintage style spins on their Book of Boba Fett costumes.

Greedo (Orange!—Tuskin Prisoner)
Walrus Man (Worker District Leader)
Hammerhead (The Mayor)
Snaggletooth (Sanctuary Guest)

Reaction score
It could be that they're looking to Super 7, and their highly inflated prices, but those are often short-run and limited release figures most of the time. Many of the Super 7 releases are fan driven and rather obscure - which is not the case with Retro. Outside of Tarkin, were any of the other character choices truly determined by fandom? Hasbro has gone for mostly safe options - core OT characters, and then characters from current media (Mando) because the TVC releases did well. Super 7 takes risks and listens to fans - that's the opposite of what Hasbro is doing with Retro. I think of Retro as basically a rebirth of a basic 3.75 assortment, but this time, playing it even safer. No matter their strategy, I contend they're overpriced for what you're getting and the larger production run on Star Wars figures in general doesn't warrant boutique pricing. Of course, they can charge whatever they please, but that doesn't mean the line will ever grow or even survive with those choices...

Reaction score
i would've been thrilled if TROS had received a full "retro" style 3.75" line. Even if not aesthetically matching TFA or TLJ line, it would be a nostalgic way to bring the 3.75" episodic Skywalker line/series to an end. Still to this day, i cannot understand why drop a 40+ year 3.75" line on the LAST saga movie. Sure, the ST was not as great esp. TLJ, but TROS was the most toy-etic movie of the ST. A decently managed TROS line could've rejuvenated the line altogether. The Mandalorian, through TVC, has done that but the lag time of character reveals on an episode and eventual release as a fig is still a stumbling block that Hasbo may never get passed easily

Reaction score
Considering this is a niche line that caters to very select audience the price makes perfect sense in my opinion.

Reaction score
I ordered this, like a sucker. A completist sucker.
Nah, your not a sucker... these two are better than the entire retro Mando offering. I like that they (hopefully) come in that outer box to ensure the nose tissue thick cards arrive in good condition.

Reaction score
It could be that they're looking to Super 7, and their highly inflated prices, but those are often short-run and limited release figures most of the time. Many of the Super 7 releases are fan driven and rather obscure - which is not the case with Retro. Outside of Tarkin, were any of the other character choices truly determined by fandom? Hasbro has gone for mostly safe options - core OT characters, and then characters from current media (Mando) because the TVC releases did well. Super 7 takes risks and listens to fans - that's the opposite of what Hasbro is doing with Retro. I think of Retro as basically a rebirth of a basic 3.75 assortment, but this time, playing it even safer. No matter their strategy, I contend they're overpriced for what you're getting and the larger production run on Star Wars figures in general doesn't warrant boutique pricing. Of course, they can charge whatever they please, but that doesn't mean the line will ever grow or even survive with those choices...
"Many of the Super 7 releases are fan driven and rather obscure"

Really? Every figure I have seen at retail is of some sort of main character. All the core Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe.... Gremlins, Star Trek TNG... Nothing has been really a question of "Why did they make this?" Maybe the production runs are a little more limited, but I still don't think that justifies the price of $18 each for these.

Reaction score
"Many of the Super 7 releases are fan driven and rather obscure"

Really? Every figure I have seen at retail is of some sort of main character. All the core Ninja Turtles, Transformers, GI Joe.... Gremlins, Star Trek TNG... Nothing has been really a question of "Why did they make this?" Maybe the production runs are a little more limited, but I still don't think that justifies the price of $18 each for these.

Last time I stopped by an FYE store, I saw a bunch of figures from various heavy metal bands (maybe half a dozen bands), monsters, Jem, Pee Wee, Thundercats, Army of Darkness - those are just the obscure ones I can remember, lol. I agree that Ninja Turtles always seems to remain relevant in pop culture - perhaps even some of the others you mentioned, but I question whether they could exist as an independent line outside of the Reaction assortment and remain a success at todays retailers. I've seen some of the ones you mentioned at Target, and they tend to gather dust, but again - I'm not a collector of the line, so I don't know what's selling, but I always see those pegs full of lingering stock, no matter the property. I do think its bold of the company to produce figures for a niche audience though. That being said, I wasn't trying to justify Super 7 prices, I think they're worse than Hasbro when it comes to inflating prices - these types of (cheap to produce) releases should be $10 (or below) if they're popular, right? If they're not obscure with limited production runs, surely Super 7 is overcharging. I simply don't want to see the same happen to Retro when it comes to MSRP, especially if they're only giving us core characters from new media and Kenner reissues - gimme a Vlix and I'll pay that $18, otherwise know your consumers before you cripple the lines potential for growth. That's my long-winded advice to keep this assortment moving, haha...

Reaction score
Looks like a good pair, I really wish they'd make these where the stickers could be peeled without ripping the vintage image. I do understand it's probably deliberate to prevent collectors from removing them so as to not muck up the aftermarket scene where confusion could ensue, I get that. But I really hate that big sticker on the retro collection as well as the premade scuff/wear marks.

Reaction score
Still pissed at Hasbro for failing to be transparent with this line. I have so many questions and if they can go out in the limb and say they are going to do the entire original 96 for TVC, surely they could reveal a tidbit about the Retro Collection.

1. Will 2 packs be how these figures are being released now?
2. Is this 2 pack part of a few exclusive 2 packs that are coming this year?
3. Is this a part of another ESB wave?
4. Are we getting more Retro waves this year?

I have more questions too.