Decipher CCG 1995-2000

Reaction score
Does anyone still play the old Decipher CCG? I have the entire set, and sometimes see people buying them on eBay. It was such a great game, and had a huge impact on old continuity. Do y’all remember this one?

Reaction score
I still have all my cards. Pretty much impossible to get other people to play it with me, though. :/

Reaction score
I still remember playing it.
It was also one of the best SW things I got my teenage son into with me, and we started playing, collecting, and then going to tourneys together.
I remember it very fondly.

I still have crates full of old commons and uncommons. And I have a few uncut sheets from Decipher in frames on the wall of my den too.

In the end, I thought Decipher was trying too hard to make every movie element appear as a gameplay element.
(Asteroid rules, Dejarik rules, etc.) This just tended to made decks try to be too all-defensive. (which then succeeded at defending NONE of the well-crafted special rules decks)

In the end, for us, it was just MAINS and TOYS. We loved it.

-Crusty-old-Wolf

Reaction score
I always wished that they had been able to keep the license and do more cards. They had to stop right before the EU really took off, and would’ve had so much cool stuff to design.

Reaction score
This was all happening at a time *before* 'StarWars.com' and 'Wookipedia' existed. So Decipher got to actually GIVE NAMES to many of the obscurest SW characters. And so they did so by jumbling letters of actors' names, Decipher exec's names, and even SWCCG *PLAYER NAMES* (anyone remember Shawn Valdez?).

I thought that last one was very cool.

I also liked some of the 'inside joke' lore For example, Bren Derlin lore: "... At the Mos Eisley cantina, everyone knows his name"

(There were many others too)

I don't think any of today's licensees will ever get that level of freedom that Decipher had. Surely NOT from Disney...

-Wolf

Last edited:
Reaction score
I remember some of those tongue-in-cheek lore texts. The “Darkside” Lando card said he “had dealings with the Tonnika Sisters—twice.” You’re absolutely right that those days are definitely over!