Death Watch Mandalorian - #TM??

Reaction score
1636484340624-jpeg.405796

bump...

Reaction score
Also color looks off but it is one promo pic so have to wait for more pics. They should be more teal
Maybe not. The concept art, Funko Pop, Gentle Giant Bust and VTC figure all have the armour as more of a medium blue shade. It probably just looks teal because of camera filters or colour-correction during post-production (similar to the question of what colour Han's Hoth parka actualy is).

Reaction score
Maybe not. The concept art, Funko Pop, Gentle Giant Bust and VTC figure all have the armour as more of a medium blue shade. It probably just looks teal because of camera filters or colour-correction during post-production (similar to the question of what colour Han's Hoth parka actualy is).
It's the new Han's Hoth Coat!

Reaction score
HT is teal and they are almost always on the money for color accuracy.92F8C0CF-D828-4368-9212-3C563716FE6E.jpeg

Reaction score
Two things: 1. Why are the Fetts the only ones who prioritize protecting their junk?

2. Why does the Vintage Collection version look waaaay better?

Reaction score
HT is teal and they are almost always on the money for color accuracy.
True, but it's also possible that they decided to replicate the on-screen colours rather than the paint scheme of the actual costume (assuming that my theory is correct) similar to NECA painting the Colonial Marines' pulse rifles olive drab for their Aliens line despite the actual movie props being painted in "Brown Bess" (Pantone 448 C, approximately) because they appeared olive in colour onscreen due to the studio lights.

Two things: 1. Why are the Fetts the only ones who prioritize protecting their junk?
I can think of a few reasons. Supposedly, there's something in copyright law that says if you make someone else's original design twenty-five percent different, than you don't owe royalties to the original designer, so changing the layout and shape of the armour might be Disney trying to weasel out of paying George Lucas, Joe Johnston, Doug Chiang, Ian McCaig and whomever else was involved in creating the Boba/Jango Fett armours for use of the designs.

On the other hand, I've read statements from costumers attesting that the Din Djarin-style armour is much easier to move around in, so the practical considerations of performing the numerous strenuous stunts and fighting techniques that Djarin is shown engaging in might have been the primary driving factor (which may also bear on the lack of a codpiece: groin protection has always been kind of tricky problem; Stormtrooper costumes are notoriously uncomfortable in part for this reason, and many historical suits of knights' armour leave the groin more or less unprotected, despite covering every other part of the body in steel plating).

In-universe, this might be the armour of the average Mandalorian soldier, or perhaps a type of light infantry, as opposed to the "Supercommando" armour worn by Jango, or Paz Vizsla's tank-like "heavy infantry" battlesuit. 🤔

2. Why does the Vintage Collection version look waaaay better?
I don't think it does? I mean, I dont see how one looks better than the other. To me, they both look gorgeous, although I submit that the TBS version has a bit of an edge in that he has sensible ball-jointed hips, rather than the somewhat awkward swivel-hinge pseudo-balljoints that are now standard on TVC figures.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can think of a few reasons. Supposedly, there's something in copyright law that says if you make someone else's original design twenty-five percent different, than you don't owe royalties to the original designer, so changing the layout and shape of the armour might be Disney trying to weasel out of paying George Lucas, Joe Johnston, Doug Chiang, Ian McCaig and whomever else was involved in creating the Boba/Jango Fett armours for use of the designs.
I don't think that flies, if that was a concern they wouldn't have mined McQuarrie's old work to create the "new" designs for the X-Wing, A-Wings, etc.

Reaction score
Samurai had it figured out. Skirt plates :)
Or "faulds" as they were known Europe. 😉
Although for a Mandalorian it means added weight, so I guess the "cup" or nothing is preferable for mobility.
Well, the groin is a pretty hard target to hit in most circumstances to begin with. 😅

I don't think that flies, if that was a concern they wouldn't have mined McQuarrie's old work to create the "new" designs for the X-Wing, A-Wings, etc.
Maybe, maybe not. I don't know for certain. I'm just going on the basis of what I've heard elsewhere.

It's especially ironic when they're the only ones that don't use their junk to reproduce.
To be fair, Boba does have a natural-born daughter in the EU. 😉

boba-fett-and-sintas-with-ailyn.jpg

Reaction score
Or "faulds" as they were known Europe. 😉

Well, the groin is a pretty hard target to hit in most circumstances to begin with. 😅

Maybe, maybe not. I don't know for certain. I'm just going on the basis of what I've heard elsewhere.

To be fair, Boba does have a natural-born daughter in the EU. 😉

View attachment 405871

I practised Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for 19 years, so I was more focused in that direction than my own "heritage" ;-) althouh HEMA is a growing martial art.

Reaction score
I wonder if the color is off, so this doubles as Ax Woves? I wonder if there's a removable helmet. I forgot how different his armor was.

Reaction score
I practised Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu for 19 years, so I was more focused in that direction than my own "heritage" ;-) althouh HEMA is a growing martial art.
That's really cool. I always wanted to learn some kind of martial art when I was growing up, but we had kind of a nomadic, gypsy-sort of life, where we never really stayed in one place long enough for any of us kids to get involved in anything like that. 🙂

Reaction score
That's really cool. I always wanted to learn some kind of martial art when I was growing up, but we had kind of a nomadic, gypsy-sort of life, where we never really stayed in one place long enough for any of us kids to get involved in anything like that. 🙂

It was handball and swimming for me, in the younger years, no soccer, no martial arts - to be honest I didn't think Karate was interesting enough. So about 23 years old I found Bujinkan and it was love on first sight. At least for almost 19 years.

Reaction score
A must have! I agree the 'blue' does seem off but it may just be the high contrast of Hasbro's glam shots making it seem worse than it is
... combined with the pale "Flashback filter" we used to know from the show. I guess the final color will be somewhere in between. Darker as the show, but less blue as the glamour shots 😉

Reaction score
Also color looks off but it is one promo pic so have to wait for more pics. They should be more teal. I still want at least 2!View attachment 405817
True, but it's also possible that they decided to replicate the on-screen colours rather than the paint scheme of the
actual costume
From a similar discussion at the Vintage, some on set photos for comparison...

bhtb_death_watch_pre_3dcda9ce-jpg.404814

Is this the guy who rescues young Djarin? Will need that figure too.

15ba329f7c8435bded6d46debb32f243.gif

fddaaef01f625e4df6c71b644c8a7b91.gif

7d40f4fe06d57605775b0a6a5dfe6422.png

ENt_E71WsAIy3l4.jpg

a685b4801cf7cf21d0b6fbfa81ed7642.jpg
a685b4801cf7cf21d0b6fbfa81ed7642.jpg

Looks like Hot Toys went closer to on-screen colors and lighting.
Hasbro closer to on-set colors

Also not sure if there are differences other than the stripe count.
Still, the Hot Toys three command stripes, is in fact specifically the one who picks up and saves young Djarin.
Hasbro (both Vintage and Blackseries) only two stripes seems to represents a more generic background Death Watch figure

5ttdki.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
TBH, since this version is already coming in TV I would have preferred a different version for TB or vise versa, such as the Covert Mando or a Character from TCW.