Death Star Trooper - #13

Reaction score
Re: Death Star Trooper

Darth_Anton said:
One of the things that really bothers me about this figure is how low the helmet rides over the eyes. I fixed that by stuffing a small bit of cloth in the helmet to help it ride higher on the head. Now you can see his eyes.
What I find that also works for low helmets is a little bit of uncured Sculpy in the helmet. Doesn't hurt the plastic, fits to the joint, and works pretty well.

Reaction score

Discovered an interesting detail while studying the sculpt on this guy. The "Skirt" and belt is a modified Moff JerJerrod's skirt.

Reaction score

The joint snapped at the glove on mine. this means I'll need another.

Reaction score

Still waiting for mine to arrive...

This wait kills me.

Reaction score

Just scored one of these tonight at Target. They only had a single one on the pegs, along with the rest of wave 2 with the exception of Han and McBoba. I'm debating on whether to open him or not. I was planning on getting 2 or 3 for opening after I got one to keep MOC, but it's so tempting to open him right now...

Reaction score

This is a great figure of one of my favorite characters, those troopers looked awesome in the films. Hasbro did a great job. Now what I didn't like is that the gun does not fit in the holster and I think Hasbro used the wrong gun. If you put the gun in backwards it fits perfectly in the holster - maybe this is a left handed guy with a cross-draw holster. Whatever works! And the Biggs gun fits well too. Great job.

Reaction score

Julian57 said:
Still waiting for mine to arrive...

This wait kills me.
I know your pain, amigo...

Have you ordered an entire case?

Reaction score

AmanaMatt said:
Aside from those semi crazy knees, this is a nice fig - I am going to customize mine with the imperial insignias that normally go on the upper arms/shoulders
'normally' how? ANH was 'normal' for years... no insignia
I'm not sure what the troops on the Executor had in ESB, but probably no insignia. ROTJ had insignia on nearly every Imperial though.

Reaction score

Yeah, in ROTJ some have it and some don't. Even when they're sitting right next to each other.

Reaction score

Still haven't seen any wave 2 TAC, shame really, I've been looking forward to an articulated DS Trooper for quite some time.

Oh well. Patience, Yoda keeps saying. Stupid Yoda, thinks he knows everything.

Reaction score

Oh he'll be worth the wait. He's a great fgure. I ended up caving and opened mine right after I made that post on Saturday. I was worried about buying more than one since they would have the same face sculpt, but because the helmet can sit low and cast a shadow over the face like in the films I'll go ahead and buy 2 more. Actually a lot of these guys look alike to me anyway, especially in ROTJ.

Reaction score

Welp, for the moment, I think that until the Anchorhead Biggs comes out, Troopy here is going to be the last TAC figure I get for a while, unless Hasbro really surprises me sometime in the near future. None of the figures I've been waiting for (besides the Death Star Trooper) are evidently going to be included in the line this year, I think I can put my Star Wars collecting on hold for a while, except for the occasional aquisition of an older figure I missed the first time around through eBay.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. As I've said several times, I'm not a completist collector at all, and I only want to spend my money on things I actually want. And with money pretty tight right now, the lack of anything that I actually can't live without this year is a good thing.

Reaction score

JediMisfit138 said:
Yeah, in ROTJ some have it and some don't. Even when they're sitting right next to each other.
This is because some Death Star Troopers wear officers' tunics with no insignia (not even code cylinders) and others wear jumpsuits with emblems on each shoulder like everyone who wears a jumpsuit (AT-ST guys, gunners, etc.).

Reaction score

I wonder, too, and have a strange fear that I wouldn't like the answer if it wound up in some EU story or an Insider article (like how the long-awaited article explaining all the ROTS clones was pretty clumsy, leading many to believe that the Airborne troops and Star Corps troops seen close to Bly were 'trusted soldiers' of their commanders, 'allowed' to wear ARC-like outfits, while much better explanations came about later)

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score

Here is a pic from the 365 days book, showing an ANH era DS Trooper (and Gunner) with insignia and wearing the jumpsuit rather than dress uniform:

ANH console operator- note the earmuffs like the POTF2 version, the grey tunic, and the wire that hangs down.

ESB version- no earmuffs, and no Imperial logo on shoulder, but has a holster. This seems to be the version we're getting.

ROTJ versions- jumpsuit version has logo on shoulder, dress uniform version doesn't have logo.

Reaction score

For my money, that's not a DS Trooper, or rather an Imperial Naval Trooper or whatever you wanna call 'em. The hat doesn't necessarily make the man. He's more akin to the guys working the consoles in ROTJ (e.g. in the "inform the commander that Lord Vader's shuttle has arrived" scene). Note he's missing the long gloves, AND boots it seems.

Reaction score

Heh, it's enough to make your head spin.
Out of all the variations I prefer the TESB uniform, so I'm very happy with the figure we got.

Reaction score

Me too. I plopped the head & helmet of my POTF2 one onto a POTJ 'officer' awhile back, to basically make the ROTJ jumpsuit one (may swap legs with an extra DS Gunner so he can sit well!)... I still get a kick over how many people want a "Death Squad Commander" update when the only movie analogue is that old dude with the earmuffs, hanging cord, and no rank badge (unlike the vintage figure). He's probably like those old guys on Yavin IV during the "Luke, you've switched off your targeting computer, what's wrong?" scene, a switchboard operator basically, not any sort of real soldier or officer, let alone commander of anything.

Reaction score

I don't recall if it was mentioned before, but I just noticed that his torso & skirt are retools of Jerjerrod's! Same wrinkles and everything, just with an added holster & belt-boxes and removed code cylinders and rank plate. The necks are just SLIGHTLY different, but head swaps are possible without too much stretching.

Reaction score

This is where Hasbro REALLY lost me!

There is virtually NOTHING about this figure that I actually like.

From head to toe, he is just WRONG:

Firstly, we have (once again) a ridiculously SMALL head sculpt that is completely incompatible with the scale of the rest of the line.

Compare DST's head sculpt size to Rebel Honor Guard or Biggs Darklighter's head sculpts and you'll see what I mean.

This scale inconsistency ANNOYS me to no end. I'm tired of these pea-headed figures!

Secondly, this figure is made from an inferior-grade plastic that has absolutely no surface sheen consistency in the castings.

Observe how the (matte black) torso actually has glossy spots randomly throughout, almost like an amateurish paint-job.

But for me, the absolutlely WORST feature that this figure suffers from is one of the lousiest, awkward body sculpts I've ever seen. He looks lanky and un-gainly, and he is FAR too tall. He is actually THE SAME HEIGHT AS (and even TALLER THAN) some of the Darth Vader figures that have been released!

THIS IS WRONGER THAN WRONG!

And then... those legs. My goodness gracious, between the knobby knee sculpt and the crooked outward angle that the legs have below the knee, this thing is a mess!

This was a VERY HIGHLY ANTICIPATED figure by most collectors and fans... myself included

For me, that makes my disappointment all the greater.

Looks like I'd better get crackin' on makin' my custom Death Star Trooper army using the POTF2 headsculpts and the POTJ Imperial Officer bodies.

Reaction score

Toonimator said:
I don't recall if it was mentioned before, but I just noticed that his torso & skirt are retools of Jerjerrod's! Same wrinkles and everything, just with an added holster & belt-boxes and removed code cylinders and rank plate. The necks are just SLIGHTLY different, but head swaps are possible without too much stretching.
I knew about the skirt, but wasn't sure about the torso. I was trying to figure out if any part of the legs are from SA Obi-Wan.

Darklord, I couldn't be any more on the same page.

You know, now that I think about it, this figure was probably rushed. A kit bashed version was due last year so I'll bet when they rescheduled it, they had to throw something "new" together to fit with the rest of the line.

Reaction score

I didn't know about all the variations on the costume. Nice to know. I guess that just means they can make more. :p

Reaction score

This is a cool figure, I'd buy a version in the grey (ANH console operator) uniform too - plus it would be easy for Hasbro to make.

Reaction score

This figure is easily my favorite from this wave.

Hopefully we'll see rereleased versions sometime soon with the Imperial insignia's and whatnot.

Reaction score

I really like this figure and I'm hoping to get some more but I haven't seen any since I picked up the one I have over a week ago.

Reaction score

DARKLORD1967 said:
But for me, the absolutlely WORST feature that this figure suffers from is one of the lousiest, awkward body sculpts I've ever seen. He looks lanky and un-gainly, and he is FAR too tall. He is actually THE SAME HEIGHT AS (and even TALLER THAN) some of the Darth Vader figures that have been released!

THIS IS WRONGER THAN WRONG!
What I wanna know is why everyone is so up in arms over this guy (or any figure) being "too tall." You act like there's no one in the galaxy over five foot nine! There are such things as tall people, y'know, even nameless rank-and-file Imperial goons. (I feel the same way about everyone dissing the original POTF2 Rebel Fleet Trooper; all you really need to do is say he's just a big guy among his five-foot-something comrades.)

Sheesh. If the height and legs bother you that much, just do what Indy did and give him some random Imperial officer's legs. You're obviously a customizer if you're vowing to "make your own" DS Trooper, so why make an inaccurate one using the POTJ Imperial Officer when all you really need to do is give him some new legs?

As to his head being too small, the problem (such as it is) really just seems to be that he's got a very narrow face. And so what? It doesn't make any difference with the ginormous helmet on.

padmesghost said:
This is a cool figure, I'd buy a version in the grey (ANH console operator) uniform too - plus it would be easy for Hasbro to make.
Well, if we want it to be a tribute to the vintage Death Squad Commander, a few things might need to be done to the sculpt to make it "accurate." He'd require a new head with headphones one, a la the famous picture of the sleepy-looking old guy, and he'd also require a retooled torso with a rank badge added, because remember the vintage figure had that. But regardless, these are small, easily made changes, and I agree that Hasbro could do it without much cost.

Reaction score

I don't know what all the fuss is about I love this figure. I finally got 2 of them yesterday thanks to a fellow collector and immediately took them home and liberated them from the package. He may be too "tall" but is SA and has impressive play value. I would love a grey version of this mold down the road.

Reaction score

I don't worry about the height either.

He's obviously not a (Jango) clone, so I don't see why figures that are a little taller than others are a bad thing (especially since he's a troop figure).

A little variation among height gives more "realism" to it all. If every figure were the same height......meh.

Overall, like I said a few posts up, I love this figure. I've been waiting for Hasbro to re-visit the POTF2 Death Star Trooper for a few years now, and I'm glad they did. The end result is excellent. There are a few minor flaws, but then again I can't find a figure that doesn't have a few flaws.