Death Star Trooper - #13

Reaction score
Re: Death Star Trooper

Please come to Canada, Mr. Death Star Trooper. I need you to guard my Officer Cass and be a big jerk to my Princess Leia.

Reaction score

I think this is a very nice figure! heres mine in my Photo Novel "A Jedi in Exile":

Reaction score

Wow, that Trooper's soooooooooo dead. And so is the officer who wanted to avoid a Force choke or Royal Guard smackdown by sending in a grunt to deliver the bad news!

Reaction score

I finally got my hands on a few of these yesterday, and they're by far my favourite figure so far this year.

I'm a little bit annoyed at the uniform's... lumpyness. Recently, Hasbro has been putting way too many creases and folds and bulges in Imperial uniforms for my tastes. Thankfully, since this uniform is a more concealing matte black (compared to the light greys of other recent officer uniforms), it's not really noticeable from a few steps away.

Reaction score

Wave 2 just hit my area and I picked this guy up. I agree-this is a great figure. I may pick up one more. I was glad to add this guy to my newly downsized collection as I missed out on the now irrelevant POTF2 DST.

Reaction score

I'm starting to see this guy more frequently now. I've only picked up 2 so far but I'm tempted to get another.

GNT

Reaction score

DARKLORD1967 said:
Alright...

Maybe it's because I'm getting old.
Maybe it's because I'm getting soft.
Maybe I was just in a grumpy mood when I first saw and held the TAC Death Star Trooper figure.
Maybe it was none of these things.

All I know is that somehow I've done an almost complete 180 on my negative opinion of this action figure!!

This has NEVER happened to me before. And I really can't explain it.

Look, I've always been pretty picky about the scuplt and deco and overall look of my STAR WARS action figures.

And when I initially bought this figure and took it out of the package, the bulbuous joints, the knobby knees, and the head sculpt all turned me way off!
And consequently, I posted a scathing review here:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2526006&page=3&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1#2526006

I was so disappointed with this figure, that I immediately offered up my first five DS Troopers for sale right here on rebelscum. In a matter of minutes, a very good friend PM'd me and they were his. I was happy to be "rid" of them.

But a funny thing happened: As I packed up these figures to mail them to my friend, I neatly straightened out the limbs of each trooper and took a good look at the neutrally posed character.

Suddenly, the anatomy didn't look so bad.
Suddenly the "knobby" knees and bulbuous shoulders weren't nearly as offensive.
And that oversized helmet suddenly started to look really good.

I still felt that the head was undersized and warped. But darn it, this guy looked good!!!

And now in recent days, the Death Star Trooper has begun to show up in plentiful numbers at the pegs of all my local Toys r Us's. And I've been buying them like a madman. 35 men so far... and counting!

I figure, I'll just replace the head sculpt with the POTF II DS Trooper head of which I have so many.

But I wanted to publically state how off the mark I now think my first assessment was of this figure, and humbly apologize to Hasbro.

Reaction score

I think this figure is fairly decent. I did try to fix his wide stance and I managed to get his legs closer but now he doesn't stand that well because his feet are bent at an odd angle now.

Reaction score

Love the figure - only thing they could have done in my mind to make it better would be to give it to me on a vintage card

Reaction score

Darth_Anton said:
I donno. I opened 32 of my 36 and am still unimpressed.
Why did you open so many if you didn't like him? Are you selling them loose or something? I don't like him either and so I didn't buy him. Baffling.

Do you have a dog? If yes, do you reward him for crapping on the rug?

Reaction score

I just picked up 2 yesterday and I really like this figure. I think he has great articulation. I really hope Hasbro releases him with other heads. Hopefully, I'll be able to find more.

Reaction score

BobaTheFett said:
Darth_Anton said:
Why did you open so many if you didn't like him? Are you selling them loose or something? I don't like him either and so I didn't buy him. Baffling.

I'm putting together an Imperial Battalion (576 troops, pics are posted on JD.) DS Troopers make up one Platoon of 36 troopers.

I may not think he's the best, but he's better than the POTF2 version.

And my dog is well trained thank you.

Reaction score

Darth_Anton said:
BobaTheFett said:
Darth_Anton said:

I'm putting together an Imperial Battalion (576 troops, pics are posted on JD.) DS Troopers make up one Platoon of 36 troopers.

Okay, then. As long as they're outnumbered by Stormies and the such. I just got a crazy image of 32 DSTs laying on the floor with Krusty opening a 33rd and looking disappointed.

Reaction score

BobaTheFett said:
Darth_Anton said:
BobaTheFett said:
Darth_Anton said:

Okay, then. As long as they're outnumbered by Stormies and the such. I just got a crazy image of 32 DSTs laying on the floor with Krusty opening a 33rd and looking disappointed.
Stormies out number the DS Troopers 4 to 1.

GNT

Reaction score
jacktherack said:
at my target it is the biggest pegwarmer of all the figures. is it the same with all of you guys?
CaptainJack said:
Certain figures will always sell better in some places than in others. Even figures seen by many as army builders.
boff123 said:
i see the rebel honor guard warming like nobody's business at target, good 2 pegs full rotting with the aotc clones from legends.
HaloHawk87 said:
I usually see 0-2 DSTs per store, so they aren't pegwarming here.
SnotRag said:
stormtroopers and death star troopers are clogging my pegs.
boognish said:
There is a Walmart near me that probably has nearly two dozen+ DST's keeping the pegs safe.
darthbr3tt said:
I think Mace, Obi-Wan, R2 and Han have clogged way more pegs than the DS Trooper has.
Stuja said:
Woops! Nevermind. Yeah, theres a ton in every store I go too. Literally clogging the pegs.
DarthBuff said:
Don't know why. He is an awesome figure.
buzzbomb said:
He is at my Wally and Target. I was actually excited when I found my second one months ago. Not so much any more.
SlackTrooper said:
Yeah it's all based on the area.

Around here, Galactic Marines are clogging at all the Targets. I know they will sell eventually, but there always seem to be an abundance of them.
uglygoat said:
south of cleveland ohio, in medina, there are ds troopers, stromtroopers, galactic marines, and obi's peg warming, mostly at the walmarts. they don't seem to get the traffic down here.
ArtsyKyd said:
Yea, those Death star Troopers are peggwarming ever store in my area. Surprisingly, the Airborne Troopers, and Galactic Marines (Which I thought would be top sellers) are also peggwarming up the shelves as well.
Leia_Way said:
Yeah, the DST is pegwarming around here, but I've been surprised at the number of clones (both regular TAC and Saga Legends) sitting around.
MaxWedge said:
I mention this is that OCD straightening the pegs thread, but I group the figures by peg for grins, and around here the pegs are 50% Death Star troopers, 30% Galactic Marines, and 20% everything else (Mace, Obi, R2).

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind the pegwarming--and would help eliminate it more--if the DST and Honor Guard had two running changes with new heads ala TSC Endor Rebel. Although I'm trying a few head-swaps, having an extra 'official' head that'd fit with no mods would be nice and I'd be more inclined to pick up even more extras

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
I wouldn't mind the pegwarming--and would help eliminate it more--if the DST and Honor Guard had two running changes with new heads ala TSC Endor Rebel. Although I'm trying a few head-swaps, having an extra 'official' head that'd fit with no mods would be nice and I'd be more inclined to pick up even more extras
I totally agree. I've got two RHGs on display, one green belt and one brown, and it would have been nice if they had different heads.

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to slice the trooper's tunic along the seem in the front to get the legs more room to move? Although I think this figure looks great, he doesn't have lots of action poses because his legs can hardly move at the hips due to the tight tunic (when will Hasbro learn?).

If anyone has made this modification, could you please post some pics along with your impressions about whether this significantly increased the range of movement for the legs.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
This figure is still one of the biggest pegwarmers in my area. Next to Obi.

Reaction score
Stuja said:
This figure is still one of the biggest pegwarmers in my area. Next to Obi.
In defense of Hasbro, I suspect they made more of these figures as they probably expected people would army-build with them. That's probably why you see more of them. They really are cool, except for the fact that you can hardly move their legs.

GNT

Reaction score
We have a few floating around here, it sure beats another clone though
I'll have to dig my figure out.

Reaction score
Just ordered two!

They will soon be in my new photonovel...the DEATH STAR.

I plan to have one as a troubled Trooper, who is struggling with losing relatives on the late planet of Alderaan.

Reaction score
Today, I was watching Episode IV on one of the Cinemax channels. I noticed the above trooper has the DH-17 blaster, not the E-11. Why is that?
-----------
"You will try."

Reaction score
Notorious_Boba said:
Today, I was watching Episode IV on one of the Cinemax channels. I noticed the above trooper has the DH-17 blaster, not the E-11. Why is that?
-----------
"You will try."
Either because the prop guys weren't being attentive or they hadn't decided at that point that all imperials would have the same weapon.

Believe me, those guys never in a million years thought anyone would ever notice or care.

Reaction score

I didn't get one when they first came out, but I was happy to find one today at target.

Reaction score

Found three of these at Walmart last week. They were $5 each. Definitely cool, hopefully they will be released in the future.

GNT

Reaction score

CadBane said:
Found three of these at Walmart last week. They were $5 each. Definitely cool, hopefully they will be released in the future.
If your still finding the Death Star Trooper on the shelves near you why do you want see more on the shelves?

Reaction score

Death Star Trooper was a pegwarmer around here - you could easily amass an army's worth. I don't think he really warants a re-release; maybe in a battle pack or something.

Reaction score

This figure was the best custom fodder of the modern era for me.

Reaction score

He's an excellent figure, but the only problem is he can't sit down due to the plastic skirt. He'd really look great in any Imperial Shuttle whether it's vintage or saga versions. But unfortunately he just can't sit in the Shuttle at all which is a real shame. Otherwise he's a really great looking figure.

Reaction score
I have always liked the VINTAGE version of this guy. The 1990s figures had that horrible V-Crotch AND the posed limbs...PASS...so this is the PERFECT version of him so far:
Any chance you could post your "Recent Acquisitions" in just the designated Recent Acquisitions threads, instead of also posting in each individual figure's thread? It could be considered post padding and is somewhat annoying.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Telling other's that their input on a figure is "post padding" is annoying.
This isn't a "Look what I bought" post, it's more information about the opinions I have of the figure.
If you didn't see the RECENT AQ. thread, you would never have known that I just bought him, since nothing in my post says that i just acquired him.

Last edited: