Death Star Trooper - #13

Reaction score

Wearing black uniforms and distinctive helmets, Death Star troopers are chosen from the ranks of the Imperial Navy Troopers to defend key installations. When not in combat, these well-trained soldiers and guards provide security, handle hangar traffic control, and monitor sensor arrays.

Image by bluesnaggletooth

Hasbro just confirmed the Death Star Trooper over at Yakface

New Sculpt!

Reaction score
Re: Death Star Trooper

Cool. Any idea on the articulation? This would be another great figure to give variations like the Endor trooper.

Reaction score

The only variations I want are heads... simple enough! And they'd BETTER have blasters like the new Endor Rebels, too, since that's what they had in ANH.

For articulation, ball-joints all-around like a Clone Trooper or Stormie, except for the waist. Swivel's best for tunics like the DS Troopers wear.

Reaction score

Placeholder huzzahs! (Because until there are pics, beware the curse of the miniature Buzz Lightyear Hoth Rebel Soldier.)

Still, I'm confident they'll do this right. Great news!

Reaction score

The question by Yakface said 'Death Star Trooper' hasbro's response was yes. So until otherwise officially re-named I'm going with Death Star Trooper.

GNT

Reaction score

As long as it's a new imperial I dont care

Reaction score

....and every one of them will look like Jango Fett!!!!

Reaction score

Yeah, they would... but it would really be a new low. Since in the movies it's quite clear they are all totally different looking and look nothing like Jango...

I really hope that the do come out with a new Imperial, whatever they want to call him.

Reaction score

Leightongates said:
I am hoping for a removable helmet with a peaked cap underneath (like Veers) two figures for one! Whoohoo! Fingers crossed.
This would be smart. What would also be brilliant is if they did two color variations in black and in grey/tan.

Reaction score

MK17 said:
Leightongates said:
I am hoping for a removable helmet with a peaked cap underneath (like Veers) two figures for one! Whoohoo! Fingers crossed.
This would be smart. What would also be brilliant is if they did two color variations in black and in grey/tan.
Never noticed they wore grey/tan uniforms

Reaction score

Yeah, you have the Death Squad Commander from the vintage line that has a greyish/tan uniform and in the POTF 2 line you have the one in all black. Of course the grey/tan outfitted one has a rank badge, but I am sure Hasbro could work around that if they wanted to. I think it's good way to get more money out of the mold when it comes time to release it.

Reaction score

Freaking sweet.
All I can say is removeable helmet and super articulation. Im honestly hoping they dont make him look like Jango as well.

Reaction score

He shouldn't look like Jango. As was already mentioned, you clearly saw their faces in ANH and surprisingly enough, none of them looked like Jango. That could change if Lucas wanted it to, though.

None of the Imperial officers have had Jango heads up to now (besides the DS Gunner, but he's not an officer) so I think we're in the clear for a normal head sculpt.

Reaction score

To me, the 'Jango head' gimmick is an 'under the mask' sort of marketing. I don't expect to apply to this troope builder in this case.

Reaction score

Well even if they used Jango's head on this trooper, we can always swap it out with a generic head likt he shoud be. I don't mind them using Jango on clones, but imperial troopers, not so much.

Reaction score

I agree not on Imperial troopers, I can't wait to see what they do though.

Reaction score

Of course they won't use a Jango clone for these, as you can see their faces in the films. I wonder if they'll base it on a trooper in paricular, or make a generic face sculpt.

Reaction score

They may re-use imperial officers sculpts from POTJ and Saga.

Reaction score

I think he meant for the heads. Not a bad idea, just needs retooling for the no-doubt ball-joint neckpost.

I didn't care too much about the 'earmuffs' of the POTF2 version, even though at least some of the Troopers (maybe only the ones working at consoles, not sure) had 'em on... but I DO hope the new helmets are Antilles-like in that they'd have chinstraps. THAT would be excellent.

Another nice kitbash they could get outta the new figure is using the head & helmet with the retooled torso of the POTJ Officer and the arms & legs of the DS Gunner (with Imperial emblem printed across the shoulder joint -- it could work!) to create the lower-ranking console crewmen. In TheForce.net's Technical Commentaries, there's a photo of three guys in Trooper helmets sitting at a console. The closest one's wearing a tunic (single-breasted, I think) with no shoulder emblems, while the other two wear the jumpsuits with emblems.

They could get a lot of mileage outta this guy! I hope they do him right, but at least I hope they give him ball-jointed elbows, a chinstrap, a DH-17 blaster (Dutch/Wedge/Endor-Rebel size), and soft enough 'skirt' material (like Outlander Club Obi-Wan, if it's as good as folks say) so he can be put into lots of action poses.

Reaction score

I know a deluxe DST w/circular console is out of the question at this point, but 1/6 piece would be OK. I could get 6 of these guys to build a full console. Come on Hasbro, $$$$$$ for ya!

Reaction score

I would like to see a sculpt based on a D.S. I Trooper ("Death Star Trooper") and a D.S. II Trooper ("Imperial Naval Trooper") and of course the gray coloured one from the vintage range.
Also the idea of a hat being under the helm is a GR8 idea too.
Blitz?:>}
P.S.-Obviously (
) the "Yavin Wave" unless integrated into other movie waves will have this figure as the Death Star Trooper.

Reaction score

can someone post a picture of what a "death star trooper" looks like?

Reaction score

These are also known as Imperial Naval Troopers: they also appear on Endor (ROTJ), and the Executor (ESB), as they are not exclusively seen on Death-Star I and II (ANH and ROTJ).

Reaction score

Call them whatever you want - I like the figure already - if they turn out half as well as the DSG, then I'm in for several.

MORE IMPORTANTLY - while I know that the vintage figure featured a gray uniform, I keep seeing people ask for these, can somebody tell me in the movie where this style of trooper can be seen in a gray uniform? I think that was a lighting situation where Kenner perceived a gray uniform instead of the correct black.

I'm not saying that's definitive, but as far as I can remember, for the tuniced style of uniform (like the above linked picture from the detention block), they are only black.

What they then need to do, is a new head sculpt, and copy the helmet from this figure, add them to the DSG, and we'll have a ROTJ style DS Trooper in the jumpsuit vs. the tunic - definitely a nice "re-pop" opportunity for Hasbro!

'78

Reaction score

Darth_Anton said:
TK_842 said:
They may re-use imperial officers sculpts from POTJ and Saga.
Thankfully, Hasbro confirmed it was an all new sculpt.
I meant the face sculpt. Yet, new sculpts are welcome too.

Reaction score

It'd be close, but they'd really need to retool the neck & shoulder area of the DSG torso to remove the dickie thing the Gunner's wearing. Might be easier to retool it from the POTJ Officer torso, allowing for ball shoulders, but everything else Gunner-style. Just needs Imperial shoulder logos and a slightly tweaked holster than can hold the DH-17 better.

I THINK Lady_Jaye pointed out the "Death Squad Commander" in some other thread, I think talking about either 2006's vintage figures & what we'd like to see, or a "wish list" for 2007 & beyond. The guy pictured on the Kenner card has a better photo, same scene, but from the film and the lighting sure does make it look like he's got a lighter-than-black outfit on, and some wires & stuff more like the Millenium Falcon Gunner than a regular DS Trooper.

That said, it's such a minor character appearance that it should be set aside until we get a great DS Trooper. People only really want it for the Vintage aspect anyway, and I'm not thoroughly convinced Kenner wasn't just seesawing between doing a DS Trooper or a capped Imperial Officer and just decided to mix the two and go with a murkier photo for the card so any nitpickers that may've been around in '78 wouldn't go "Wait, this Detention Block Guard's supposed to be wearing black! Look at the photo!"