Death Star Gunner - #147

GNT

Reaction score
It looks like we'll be seeing an all new Death Star Gunner in the Vintage line. Who will be purchasing this figure?

Reaction score
I'll need to see some better pics of this guy to decide. The head looks a little.....small. Still might pick up a few if I can

Reaction score
The figure they previewed was all new sculpt and modeled after the Rogue One version.

Reaction score
I hope it's not a repack of the 2006 TSC version ... but yes, I'd like one on a Vintage card.
The TSC version sports the removable chest armor and the swivel (not jointed) elbows. And as I noted in another thread, there was a Black Series version that apparently never got released. I distinctly recall getting the TSC version for $5 at a Walmart during an out of town business trip.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have four Saga ones, and I actually really LOVE them. Swivel arms aside, they have plenty of bells and whistles (removable helmets and chest plates, working holsters, and above-average articulation for the times). So I’m actually good for DSGs. Even so, I’ll probably buy one of these anyway, if it’s new and different enough.

Reaction score
I read in another thread about a potential DS playset being considered, so I'm hoping for a gunner station to be incorporated with it....***rubs both hands together***

Reaction score
If Hasbro referenced Rogue One for this, then the movie is wrong as well. I could do the homework, but its moot at this point. As for the crotch, ...I have no intention of displaying this guy sitting cross-legged behind a DS turbolaser chair unless Vader catches him on an unscheduled break. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think its OK, RO did modernize the older designs from the OT even on their blasters changes were made like adding flashlights. That finger print on the vest is kinda annoying though,lol.

Reaction score
It's not a horrible figure, but to me it just doesn't scream DSG. There are parts I like, and parts I don't. The sunken head is way obvious, so I'm guessing the vest is removable? Which begs the question, could he be two figures in one? Maybe with the vest off he can double as an Officer in jumpsuit.
Then there's those odd looking hips, again... Not as bad as some, but still obvious.

That said, he's got some great custom fodder possibilities! I may get him for my Revan figure.

Reaction score
I think its OK, RO did modernize the older designs from the OT even on their blasters changes were made like adding flashlights.
I'll let it slide I suppose, but my POV it's more like an unwarranted "correction". And it's not like 'we didn't see those things before' situations like the remastered TOS USS Enterprise hull panels, right? :D

Anyway, to move on....I wonder if that thumbprint is the sculptor's 'stamp of approval'. :p

Last edited:
Reaction score
Return of the Small Heads - Starring Jabba's Skiff Guard, Walrus Man, Ree Yees, and this guy.

Reaction score
This looks good for the sleeker RO version, though a little lanky. It seems to have been sleekly designed but based on the ANH version that used a Sandtrooper pauldron for the chest pad. An ANH version would look more like this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
They're getting the Vader-like leather outfits correct on these soldiers. Some of the Imperial techs in SOLO also sported DS Gunner-like same ribbed leather outfits.

Reaction score
They're getting the Vader-like leather outfits correct on these soldiers. Some of the Imperial techs in SOLO also sported DS Gunner-like same ribbed leather outfits.
I agree. I love the leather texture. I'm anxious to see how this one looks once the joints are tightened up and they show a production sample.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I was initially excited, but I think you all have talked me out of this one. Appreciate it, cheers. One less thing to try to track down and end up paying way too much for.

Reaction score
It would've made a good set yeah.

Most of the Imperial soldiers though are getting skinnier and narrower, and smaller headed(the BS Death Trooper had a small head even while the single pack 5poa had a better and larger head). A fade that began with the newer Clone Trooper mold. Even the FO Stormtroopers have skinny arms.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hasbro are weird sometimes. I mean this is probably a nice figure and all, despite the small head and odd hips. But to use a TVC slot on a DSG is a bit of a strange decision. Especially on a Rogue One card. If it was on a Return of the Jedi card, it would be more understandable.

But I'd rather they use new Rogue One slots for main Rogue One SA figures. Like a new SA Krennic, K2-SO, Chirrut. Even SA Eadu Jyn and Cassian etc.

Reaction score
All things being equal I'd rather just have the gunner from the unproduced 2012 Echo Base set, which appears to be the SAGA version modified for SA.
I think that one would still have sported just the radiation vest (like the Saga one) instead of a removable 'soft' vest which I still prefer to have in my collection. From what I've seen, Hasbro needs to get the upcoming one looking right accessory-wise. Also, as noted in other posts, I'm content to wait for Hasbro to get the uniform more spot, particularly the arm-length stitches.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd rather they use new Rogue One slots for main Rogue One SA figures. Like a new SA Krennic, K2-SO, Chirrut. Even SA Eadu Jyn and Cassian etc.
Seconded!! Wish Hasbro would stop treating primary RO characters like red-headed stepchildren.

Last edited:

kk1

Reaction score
Wish they could get the chest protector right, though if the rest is accurate I guess I can use a spare Sandtrooper shoulder pauldron to make a definitive ANH gunner.

Reaction score
It's OT and new to VC so definite purchase if found at retail and may even pay a little more for it elsewhere if its a gouging piece

Last edited:
Reaction score
ionno man, puffy vest or not that's an Imperial army builder and I usually get one or two of each one and over the years it ends up staffing up a decent army of each trooper variant.
when I see a perfect version I jus go ahead and build platoon sized group

Reaction score
Seems ok.

To add to what Vorax said on page 1, I watched a video of the SDCC panel the other week, and the way it sounded when they described it was basically "Rogue One was cool because they got to use some old designs, including some that were in the backgrounds in the originals but not seen well because of lighting or quick shots, and they also (not instead of, but also) did some updates of old designs. This figure is a Rogue One figure." My paraphrase, obv.

Basically they mentioned two different categories for why this might look different (obscure OT variant vs new tweak) while failing to state which of those two different things this figure represents. Either way, in the movie = legit in my book. But those thigh swivels...no. Hope the final is tighter than the proto on that count.

Reaction score
It's a strange looking figure. Crotch is weird and so are the legs. This guy is going to have to be permanently seated. I may pass on this one.

Reaction score
I'm hoping it is, so that I can possibly get an updated Imperial Tech in jumpsuit!