Dealer's suck....period!!!

Reaction score
Dealer\'s suck....period!!!

Anyone who goes out and buys figures on the retail market only to put them on the secondary market to charge more for them hurts the hobby...NO EXCEPTIONS! MOST of the guys who deal the stuff could give a rip about Star Wars or collecting FOR THE FUN OF IT! NO ONE will ever change my mind that there is a viable need for a "dealer". If we would all just trade amongst ourselves and help eachother find the figures we need, the dealers would have to get legitimate work!!!!

Go ALF!!!!

Reaction score
Re: Dealer\'s suck....period!!!

Originally posted by jedi_clone:
Anyone who goes out and buys figures on the retail market only to put them on the secondary market to charge more for them hurts the hobby...NO EXCEPTIONS! MOST of the guys who deal the stuff could give a rip about Star Wars or collecting FOR THE FUN OF IT! NO ONE will ever change my mind that there is a viable need for a "dealer". If we would all just trade amongst ourselves and help eachother find the figures we need, the dealers would have to get legitimate work!!!!

Go ALF!!!!
<font size="2" face="arial">Gotta love all these great usernames...

So what's stopping you from doing this? Have at it. I think you'd certainly enjoy the hobby more if you contributed something positive without focusing on ranting about 'dealers'.

What you don't get is that folks speaking of a viable need for any dealer are usually speaking about vintage toys since they only exist in the secondary market.

Of course, one could wonder why dealers seem to do so well if no one has any use for them. After all, I don't think anyone's being forced to buy stuff from them at gunpoint. It is also quite a legitimate business. Is it admirable? Not really, no, but I can't blame them for selling stuff to people stupid enough to pay those kinds of prices, though. Modern Star Wars merchandise dealers would not exist if there were no market for them.

Seems to me that it'd be better to spend time and energy outworking the dealers and educating fellow collectors rather than whining about them on some board day in and day out. So, you're definitely on the right track when you talk about just helping each other and so forth. Good luck!

-John

Reaction score

Originally posted by jedi_clone:

Go ALF!!!!
<font size="2" face="arial">Funny....most of the modern toy dealers that I know buy thier cases at wholesale from a distributer or directly from Hasbro, not from toy store shelves. Regardless,If you modern collectors really wanted to out do the dealers to make sure that you got every figure you need, you'd call one of the wholesale distributers (I believe Yestertoys sells cases at wholesale) and order a case of each assortment. You could go in halves with another collector, and you'd both end up with one each of every figure.If there were any left over you could offer them at your cost on the trade federation. Now you have the more than simple solution to your dealer gripes. Will any of you actually follow up and use this more than easy to follow information... I hope so,but I doubt it.Unfortunatly a lot of you would rather ***** and moan about "dealers this, and scalpers that" than actually use a viable method to cut these "evil" dealers out of a chance to make a profit on you.

GO BANANA!!!

Reaction score

If it weren't for the toy dealers of the world, my collection would be a lot smaller than it is right now. I'm very greatful for their help in tracking down a lot of the one of a kind items I've acquired over the years.

Reaction score

Amen. Thanks to guys like Brian's Toys, Hollywood Heroes, and Cloud City Collectibles, my collection is far healthier than if I had to rely on collector to collector trades or eBay purchases.

There is absolutely no way I could have picked up many of the prototype pieces in my collection, and last time I checked, the collectors I know weren't busy helping me hunt down a particularly tough display piece.

GO JYX1138!!!!

Reaction score

Originally posted by flarida:
If it weren't for the toy dealers of the world, my collection would be a lot smaller than it is right now. I'm very greatful for their help in tracking down a lot of the one of a kind items I've acquired over the years.
<font size="2" face="arial">I whole heartedly agree with Dan here. If not for dealers my collection wouldn't be 1/3 as nice as it is today. also a lot of thanks go help from collector friends ...in fact Dan comes to mind on that one, he's helped me to get some beautiful pieces for my collection(as I'm sure he's done for many others) and was instrumental in organizing the huge proof card sale at the Omni.Thanks Dan!!

As for the whinning modern collectors and thier dealerphobia. I guess that the info that FULL, unopened cases CAN be ordered has fallen on deaf ears , or perhaps (hopefully) some of you have started looking into buying full cases and saving yourself the hassle of hunting at your local Walmart. Saving yourselves from the anger and frustration that comes to you when you don't get that last illusive figure.I if you do that it means that there will be more figures on the shelves for children to buy and play with!! It's a win , win situation if more modern collectors DID start ordering full cases to build thier collections with.

Cheers
Joseph

Reaction score

There are dealers and then there are DEALERS.

Dealers, like my friends at Universal Comics and Philbee, find toys, buy them, and provide them to a seeker at a small markup (usually no more than $3, unless the item required fuel reimbursement for a really long road-trip). Other examples are Red Pumkin, and Toy-Palace, both of which sell at very fair prices, sometimes discounted, but with very little above the import/shipping fee added to the cost of the item.

DEALERS, like Brian's Toys for example, buy them, sometimes at wholseale directly from the manufacturer, then provide them to a seeker for at least a 250% markup. There's a line between dealers and DEALERS, and it's not thin at all.

We need more dealers and fewer DEALERS.

[ 05-31-2002, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Beedo ]

Reaction score

I know that by saying this I will probably show myself to be completely and totally out of the loop, so please be patient... what exactly is so bad about Brian's Toys, other than pricing Jorg Sacul too ridiculously high (which it seems like most dealers are doing)? I've heard a number of people complain about them on this board, but I have never had any trouble with them... not yet, anyway. Their large selection of loose figures has always seemed ideal for customizing types like myself, but...

Once again, this forummer has a feeling her face will be soon be redder than any Imperial Guard anywhere.

... the Findswoman

GNT

Reaction score

Originally posted by Beedo:
DEALERS, like Brian's Toys for example, buy them, sometimes at wholseale directly from the manufacturer, then provide them to a seeker for at least a 250% markup.
<font size="2" face="arial">More like 500% mark up and the stupid thing is people still buy from them

Reaction score

Honestly if someone wants to pay me 125 bucks for a Jorg figure, I won't stop them.

Reaction score

Brian's Toys is heaven, I live very close so I go there sometimes to just loiter in the warehouse, the people there don't mind too much (I think) and it has one of the best selections of star wars stuff there is. I couldn't have built my fleet on loose Potf2 A-Wing vehicles without these guys!

G

I collect vintage so for me its either dealers or Ebay. If I could go to Kay-Bee and pick-up a ROTJ Leia I would, but I can't so I buy from dealers. Also, if you think that the large online dealers are shopping at TRU and buying your Dooku out from under you, you are wrong. They buy cases from Hasbro just like everybody else, they just set the prices the higher. It is supply and demand and they are only able to do this because collecter allow it. Do think that ATOC Yoda would be $15-$20 at some online stores if they had not sold one in 2 months, no. They can sell them at a higher price because people will buy them at that price. I have a nearly complete set of both Vintage (loose) and modern figures and have never paid more then retail for the modern ones ($8.99 at Kohls for a few. OUCH!) The only time I get a little perturbed is people buying from Wal-mart and Target and TRU and so forth to sell in shops or online, or when they have a connection with a employee that allows then access to the figures before they hit the shelves. I think that is just the crappy side of the hobby (or in my case, way of life). It preys on peoples excitement and fear of being left out. Nobody wants to be the guy who did not get the removable helemet Vader, EU figs, and Bespin Luke. I personnaly think that it was alot worse in 98-99. But that is just my observation, I have been lucky enough to get everything I look for at retail.

Reaction score

IMO dealers fill a need in the hobby. They fill the need that satisfies the "instant gratification" collector. There is always someone out there that has to be the 1st one on the block to own a new toy and they don't mind paying a premium to do so.

I agree, if there was possibly more cohesiveness between regional collectors they may be able to put a dent in dealers/scalpers businesses in that area.

Then of course there are always the ebay nuts that bid stuff up to ridiculous amounts and sometimes justify a dealers outrageous price.

As far as vintage is concerned, I think it's absolutely necessary to have dealers active in the hobby. Without them, the market for vintage peices would only exist between collectors and there have been some great items that have surfaced through dealers.

G

I have nothing against dealers, I fell they get there stuff through the wholesaler's. The people that piss me off are the wannabe dealers, the guys who camp out at the local retailers or have an insider at the store and buy everything up because they think they can get rich on Ebay. Thats my two cents.

[ 06-27-2002, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Darth-Lickus ]