Dealers did not have first dibbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest

I set up at the show. I paid $1400 for my booth. I had 2 employees working my booth. 3 of us total. I bought 0ver 50 probably closer to 60 Jorg Sacul figures. NOT ONE DID I PAY UNDER $20 for. Most I bought sunday for $35 each. We had absolutely no opportunity to wait in line and buy them for $10 as we were so busy we could not walk away from the booth but to go to the bathroom and get something to eat which had to be brought back to the booth because no one could be gone for over 5 minutes. Those who complain are probably those who have hourly or salary jobs and do not understand economics. I paid $35 for most of my sacals and risked the fan club offering them later for $9.99. Had that happened I would have 50 figures that I would have been lucky to sell on e-bay for $10 and would have lost over $1000.It aslso would have taken me a month to sell them. It is he who takes risks in business who reap the profits and rewards and those who are too scared to do so are quick to complain about those of us who do. We provide a service and we charge for that service just like any one else in business.People would come to me and sell me a figure first thing in the morning than go back in line again and bring back more an hour later. If they could do it why couldn't you. They probably should have made more but anyone who was there more than one day knew how hard it was and if they missed it the first day should have been in line early the next. Every day at least one person came to me (Very far from the entrance and went back in line and got more) so that tells me if you wanted one and were willing to wait in line you could have gotten one. IF you were to lazy or wanted to do something else instead whose fault is that? The same people who complain about paying to much tend to be the same people who when they need cash and want to sell their collection are the people who want top dollar for their items.I have been doing this as a profession for almost 10 years and buy stuff out of my retail store everyday not always star wars but everyday so I know what I am talking about. You want to buy cheap and sell high and than complain when dealers try to do the same. Even the most die hard collectors sell when they need money trust me I have bought some awesome collections over the years. Anyway I am ranting. We provide a service and if you do not like it move to a socialist or communist country because last time I knew America was for Capitalism and Capitalism is how you get paid every week unless you work for the goverment.
Dave - Cincinnati Sci-Fi
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
??? If you're against price-gouging you're a communist? That's a pretty retarded assertion...

Anyway, I waited in line and got squat. That line moved slower than you think.

"People would come to me and sell me a figure first thing in the morning than go back in line again and bring back more an hour later. If they could do it why couldn't you."

That's because they stood at the exit and bought figures off people as they were leaving for about $20 (several people told me they did this), then they sold it to you for $35.

And you call people who see a line about 1,000 persons long that's NOT MOVING and decide their $30 door fee isn't worth spending all day in line LAZY? That's stupid, but it's also beside the point.

What makes me angry at dealers like you is that despite buying these figures at a rapid pace--NONE were available at the Con! Every sign I saw said "buying" or "trading for", but not one single sign offered these figures for sale.

If you dealers are so guiltless in this debacle, why'd you all horde these figures for ridiculous eBay prices instead of offering them to fans at the con?

You're the reason conscientious people fight for regulations.
 
G

Guest

It sounds like someone is trying to make justification for something. What, I'm not sure. I thoroughly believe that dealers are entitled to make a profit, they do provide a service, but don't start talking down to the "wage slaves" as you inferred most of us are. Oh, I get it, if someone feels you are charging to much, they must be too F'ing stupid to understand you. Get a life. I don't think anyone here complaining about not being able to get a Sacul at the $10 cost desires to make a huge profit like you, they just wanted a 1 for their collection. Do I blame you ? No, you're in business to make money. I feel it was poorly planned and the safeguards to protect against scalping were woefully inadequate (wow, one of us ignorant wretches can use 50 cent words). I don't really even blame those people who intended to price gouge all those extras they bought, or dealers like you and Brian's Toys (who I did make some nice purchases from on things I hadn't been able to find, so I'm not one of the many haters of them) who sell them for upwards of $125 dollars. Just do not expect me to buy your lame justifications that it's all perfectly OK, you are totally blameless, and that those who didn't get a figure were simply lazy. I don't know you, and I don't make assumptions about you. So DON'T DO IT ABOUT ME AND MY FRIENDS (BOTH PERSONAL AND THE MANY FINE PEOPLE I'VE COME TO KNOW HERE). Now, under those same guidelines, I could assume that since you are a toy dealer, you are morbidly obese, have the fashion sense of a color blind 3 year old, live in your mother's basement (or the spare bedroom of her mobile home), drive a 3 tone Pinto, and on Date Night, are accompanied by your right hand (or left if you are feeling frisky). Do I do that ? No. I'm sure you make a decent living with your business, but don't assume that the rest of us are working at Wal-Mart or McDonalds, and don't understand rudimentary economic principles...we are simply lamenting the fact that the situation wasn't handled as well as it should have been, and hope that in the future, it is done in more fairly so all collectors get the chance to obtain the exclusive figures. If that threatens your precious business, well then, I hear Wal-Mart is hiring...
 
G

Guest

I did not mean to insult the masses however I had people even when I was paying 20 on friday and saturday morning go back in line and wait. It was possible to go through the line twice on friday and saturday. The figure did not sell out until about 1pm or 2pm on Friday.
Maybe on Sunday what you said was true people would buy from people from the line, I do not know because I was chained to my table.
About gouging - I paid $35 and sold at my store for $60. The guy who waited in line made just as much as me and I have the risk. It was not until they started going crazy on e-bay that I jacked up my prices. I do not see people selling gold and silver at less than the going newspaper rate so why should I sell my sacul for any less than someone will pay. I have a family to support and I have every right to buy whatever I want at whatever price I can get it and then sell it for whatever the market will bear. That is America and no one told me not to sell it at the show . I was quoting paying $35 selling $50-$54 at the show. IF you asked I would have sold one. I sold about 25 at the show. No one told me I could not sell them but I did not advertise selling just buying.
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
0
Dave (slidog) made exactly the point that I was trying to make in an earlier thread. He is a dealer (and a MORE than fair one at that,from my experiences buying from him)He is there to make money , it is his livleyhood. I'm sure that he had clients overseas that had wanted Saculs, and he supplied them for his customers, as well as some for store or ebay stock. He is simply making money based on supply and demand. The principals that our free market economy is based on.

If you were too lazy (or were enjoying other features of the convention) to get in line early for the Sacul, either pay a premium for it or go without. I honestly did pay a small premium for mine ($30) but I feel that my time is worth money, and I would have rather spent an extra $20 on that fig and seen the panels that I wanted to see, than waiting in a loong line for the better part of the afternoon. ANY collector that left Cel2 without a Sacul figure quite simply didn't take the time to look and see how many were changing hands.They could have waited at the end of the line and offered someone $$ for thiers, they could have approached someone that was going up to a dealers booth with some and asked to buy one... but you didn't. Who's to blame for you not having that figure.... YOU are no one else. Stop *****ing and moaning and either coin up and buy one or cross it off of your things to own list.
Do I own EVERY piece that I want in my collection, not by a long shot. Do I (usually) ***** about it?? Not usually. It seems that too many modern collectors spend most of thier time complaining about the hobby rather than enjoying it. What's up with that?

Joseph
 
G

Guest

If either of you had bothered to read my post, instead of just immediately saying that all we are doing is complaining, you would have saw that I am not complaining about anyone selling their figures for whatever price they can get, and I agreed that sildog and other dealers have the right to run their business as they see fit...their customers will be the ultimate judge of them....Nor am I complaining and whining about this hobby...
My complaints were at the way the whole thing was set up (and BTW, I did get a Sacul), and that people seek justification and approval of their behavior...Sildog, I readily admit you took a business risk, but to compare your risk to the collectors who didn't get a Sacul is assine. You are in this to make money, as you state by mentioning the family you have to support. To do so running your own business requires you to take risks, so don't expect me or anyone else to give you a big kudos for it...that's an inherent part of your operation...and don't expect me to give you a "thumbs up" for your shrewd business moves...any moron could have figured out that you could make a huge profit buying as many as possible at the Celebration, then selling them on Ebay or on your own site...MOST people there simply didn't care to, they just wanted to own 1 for their collection...so maybe next time, take a few moments to read and actually understand what someone else says.
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
Let me tell you people something...

Take a good long look at hobbies like comic books and sports cards.

It's scenarios such as this (honest or not) that DRIVES the hobby into the dirt.

When there becomes a clear division of classes in the hobby (those who are lucky enough to have connections to get the "PREMIUM" items, and those who don't) then the "don'ts" QUIT THE HOBBY.

People turn elsewhere once they realize that all the "good" stuff is--and always will be--unavailable to them.

You can talk economics all you want. But the moment the masses feel EXCLUDED FROM OPPORTUNITY, they turn elsewhere.

I don't lament not having a Jorg Sacul figure. No, I don't. I don't own every SW figure, nor do I try to. I do lament that the convention organizers allowed this fiasco to happen.

There's no excuse for that. Hasbro KNOWS that if they overproduce that they will NEVER be stuck with those figures. Hasbro could release the Jorg figure in Wal-Marts TODAY--with the "Convention Exclusive" label-- for $10 each and still sell out within weeks. But they won't. And I'll never understand why.

Word is, thousands of Jorgs will soon be available overseas. Thousands that could have been sold to people at the Convention at $10 each. Thousands that could be sold right here in America to LOYAL life-long fans.

But nope. They'd rather support the have/have not "Exclusive" scenario.
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
Let me tell you people something...

Take a good long look at hobbies like comic books and sports cards.

It's scenarios such as this (honest or not) that DRIVES the hobby into the dirt.

When there becomes a clear division of classes in the hobby (those who are lucky enough to have connections to get the "PREMIUM" items, and those who don't) then the "don'ts" QUIT THE HOBBY.

People turn elsewhere once they realize that all the "good" stuff is--and always will be--unavailable to them.

You can talk economics all you want. But the moment the masses feel EXCLUDED FROM OPPORTUNITY, they turn elsewhere.

I don't lament not having a Jorg Sacul figure. No, I don't. I don't own every SW figure, nor do I try to. I do lament that the convention organizers allowed this fiasco to happen.

But nope. They'd rather support the have/have not "Exclusive" scenario.
<font size="2" face="arial">"The Masses" can go right over to Ebay and buy a Sacul any time their hearts desire. If the "Masses" were so worried about getting one, they'd have one. You can go to Ebay right now and choose from over a hundred auctions for the figure. If the "Masses" were AT Cel2, then they should have "awoken the masses" a bit earlier so they could have gotten into line.
As far as the "don'ts" quitting the hobby, let them. IF they loved the hobby so much they'd figure out a way to afford one or rationalize a collection without one. And as far as modern collecting(production toys)the items that are considered to be "good stuff" are ALL within ANY collectors reach IF they are motivated enough to
make the hobby work for them, or loosen their wallets a bit.

Joseph
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,330
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
Originally posted by fumetti:
Word is, thousands of Jorgs will soon be available overseas. Thousands that could have been sold to people at the Convention at $10 each. Thousands that could be sold right here in America to LOYAL life-long fans.
<font size="2" face="arial">What are you saying,us people from overseas aren't loyal fans? As we have jobs and don't have the time to spend thousands just to travel overseas for a couple of days just to get a $10 figure,which probably wouldn't be there if some j@ck@$$ bought 60 of them to sell.

Originally posted by JYX1138:
It seems that too many modern collectors spend most of thier time complaining about the hobby rather than enjoying it.What's up with that?
<font size="2" face="arial">How can we enjoy our hobby when some j@ck@$$ buys 60 figures to scalp?
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
"What are you saying,us people from overseas aren't loyal fans? As we have jobs and don't have the time to spend thousands just to travel overseas for a couple of days just to get a $10 figure,which probably wouldn't be there if some j@ck@$$ bought 60 of them to sell."

I should have guessed that would be misunderstood. No, foreigners are no less loyal. That wasn't my point.

My point is: the Convention was in AMERICA, and there were thousands of loyal fans AT THE CON who missed out.

Sending thousands of "extras" to foreign countries when people WHO ATTENDED THE CON were turned away because they "sold out" is F*KTUP.

IMO, this is fraud on the convention's part. They advertised those figures would be available. Yes, they said they were limited, but they did NOT say: "Yeah, we're soliciting this exclusive to entice you to attend, but there's a good chance we'll deny you and send the figure overseas to somebody who didn't attend." I don't know if it's actionable, but it's certainly despicable.

If there are exclusives to be offered in the name of the convention, it should be AVAILABLE to the people who actually ATTEND. Available to THEM ahead of anybody else.

and--ONE--AT--A--TIME!!!!!
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
"The Masses" can go right over to Ebay and buy a Sacul any time their hearts desire. If the "Masses" were so worried about getting one, they'd have one. You can go to Ebay right now and choose from over a hundred auctions for the figure. If the "Masses" were AT Cel2, then they should have "awoken the masses" a bit earlier so they could have gotten into line.
As far as the "don'ts" quitting the hobby, let them. IF they loved the hobby so much they'd figure out a way to afford one or rationalize a collection without one. And as far as modern collecting(production toys)the items that are considered to be "good stuff" are ALL within ANY collectors reach IF they are motivated enough to
make the hobby work for them, or loosen their wallets a bit.

Joseph[/QB]
<font size="2" face="arial">That's one big pile of steaming bullsh*t.

You misguided people (who are infected with the "I got mine" disease) who assert that everybody who didn't get one is lazy are STUPID.

On Saturday, I stood in a line that was--no joke--a football field long with about 800-1,000 people in it. I was in that line what seemed two hours (although I didn't time it) when we got the bad news. Don't tell me I'm "lazy."

When the worker came out (about 1:30 or 2 pm or so) and said there were no more figures available, that line DISAPPEARED. All that was left was about 75 people at the tables.

NOTE: If EVERYBODY had gotten in line "early" as you suggested, they STILL would have sold out with the SAME number of people turned away. At NO POINT was there NOT a line waiting to buy a figure. So getting there "early" wouldn't change ANYTHING about this situation. (If person A shows up earlier than person B, then person A gets a figure and B doesn't. If B gets there first, then A goes without. Either way, somebody gets turned away. Your proposition solves NOTHING) So you can drop that hollow argument.)

But you people want to DODGE THE ISSUE. The issue isn't what time of day it was. The issue is that the convention organizers created a situation that ALLOWED supplies to be depleted by scalpers and speculators.

It's simple math. If they limited everybody to 1 per person, then the supply would have lasted TWICE as long. (It takes no less time to buy one figure than it does two).

As for eBay, "the masses" have more damn sense than pay $70-80 for a $10 item. They're not the fools you wish them to be. (Unfortunately, there are always a minute percentage who encourage your behavior by paying outrageous prices. I guess there will always be suckers...)

..."loosen their wallets".... for WHOM? For the manufacturer, Hasbro? We do that ALREADY. Oh, you mean for you SCALPERS! You want us to "loosen our wallets" for you, too! Well, you can go get bent.

[ 06-08-2002, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: fumetti ]
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
(original polite comment deleted)

You c*cks*ckers aren't worth any niceties.

[ 06-10-2002, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: fumetti ]
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
That's one big pile of steaming bullsh*t.

You misguided people (who are infected with the "I got mine" disease) who assert that everybody who didn't get one is lazy are STUPID.

On Saturday, I stood in a line that was--no joke--a football field long with about 800-1,000 people in it. I was in that line what seemed two hours (although I didn't time it) when we got the bad news. Don't tell me I'm "lazy."

When the worker came out (about 1:30 or 2 pm or so) and said there were no more figures available, that line DISAPPEARED. All that was left was about 75 people at the tables.

NOTE: If EVERYBODY had gotten in line "early" as you suggested, they STILL would have sold out with the SAME number of people turned away. At NO POINT was there NOT a line waiting to buy a figure. So getting there "early" wouldn't change ANYTHING about this situation. (If person A shows up earlier than person B, then person A gets a figure and B doesn't. If B gets there first, then A goes without. Either way, somebody gets turned away. Your proposition solves NOTHING) So you can drop that hollow argument.)

But you people want to DODGE THE ISSUE. The issue isn't what time of day it was. The issue is that the convention organizers created a situation that ALLOWED supplies to be depleted by scalpers and speculators.

It's simple math. If they limited everybody to 1 per person, then the supply would have lasted TWICE as long. (It takes no less time to buy one figure than it does two).

As for eBay, "the masses" have more damn sense than pay $70-80 for a $10 item. They're not the fools you wish them to be. (Unfortunately, there are always a minute percentage who encourage your behavior by paying outrageous prices. I guess there will always be suckers...)

..."loosen their wallets".... for WHOM? For the manufacturer, Hasbro? We do that ALREADY. Oh, you mean for you SCALPERS! You want us to "loosen our wallets" for you, too! Well, you can go get bent.
<font size="2" face="arial">I'm far from infected by the "I've got mine" desease that you speak of. But if you were SMART, you would have stood at the end of the line and offered someone $20 or $25 for one of thier extras, instead of standing around like an idiot and leaving empty handed. I don't know about you but my time is worth a LOT more than $10 or $20 per hour in a line, especially when I have friends there from around the world that I haven't actually seen in a few years . If your " Never above retail" mentality doesn't comprehend that your time is worth money too, then it's your loss. As for calling me a scalper..... I got 2 of them , I paid $30 ea and I sold one to a friend in Denmark for $40, ohhhh I'm the big badd scallper bogeyman comming to horde all of your Cel2 figures.... Give me a break.
Your hollow argument that people are too "smart" to pay $70 for a $10 figure.... IT WAS ONLY A $10 FIGURE IF AND ONLY IF YOU WERE AT THE CONVENTION AND WERE IN LINE EARLY ENOUGH TO GET ONE .It's unavailable anywhwere else... I'm sure that the long term price for this figure will drop from it's lofty Ebay price of the moment. But to what...$50 at the lowest, unless they release some more thru the fan club. STILL they are selling at $70 and above.Who's more the sucker... the person that gets what he/she wants or the whinny little Bi%ch
that complains and hems and haws over a paultry $70 purchase for a hobby that they claim to love sooo much. I DO agree that Wizards could have/should have had more of the figures available to cover the demand, but they didn't end of story. So now it's either pay up to whichever dealer/collector is selling them or go complain about the invisible scalper monster that wants to eat all of the"good figures" BTW...They wouldn't be good figures if everyone had them , they'd be like Jar Jars that no one wants or cares about.Do all of you modern collectors want to have the exact same collection?? I'm sooo glad that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage portion of the hobby, If I had to look at jack offs like you as my contemporaries, I'd quit the hobby too.

Cheers

Joseph
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2001
Messages
4,883
Reaction score
0
Well, I'm just glad I was able to get 2 extra figures early on Friday to sell at cost to my friends. That way the didn't have to go to those nice ebay auctions and get screwed over. It is a total crock that anybody a dealer or whatever was able to get 50 to 60. I'm sorry but I don't believe you just had to up the price bc everyone else was doing. Anybody in any business even a kid with a lemonade stand would know the figures were going to go for a lot because they were exclusive. I'm just feel for those people who tried to get figures on Sunday and were left with nothing. Dealers selling the figures at their booth should of been shut down period. That's just scalping and I don't care how you try to justify it. If you didn't have the figures at your booth others would of been able to get them. I know you may of been getting figures to sell at your place of business but so what. If you couldn't go tough. I had to make some sacrifices and others could of too.
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
0
oh.... and I didn't mean anything about anyone personally in my rant either.


Cheers
Joseph
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
2,820
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
[QB]Let me tell you people something...

Take a good long look at hobbies like comic books and sports cards.

It's scenarios such as this (honest or not) that DRIVES the hobby into the dirt.[QB]
<font size="2" face="arial">I hope this hobby gets driven into the dirt sooner than later because personally, I'd like to start paying cents on the dollar for MOC vintage items. Seriously.
 
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by JYX1138:
I'm sooo glad that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage portion of the hobby, If I had to look at jack offs like you as my contemporaries, I'd quit the hobby too.

Cheers

Joseph
<font size="2" face="arial">HAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAA
ROTFLMAO!!!!
(Thanks Joe, I needed that
)

Bill

(I think he was talking about you, ALF
)
 
Joined
Jan 14, 2002
Messages
461
Reaction score
0
I'm sooo glad that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage portion of the hobby, If I had to look at jack offs like you as my contemporaries, I'd quit the hobby too.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever read!
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by JYX1138:
<font size="2" face="arial">I'm far from infected by the "I've got mine" desease that you speak of. But if you were SMART, you would have stood at the end of the line and offered someone $20 or $25 for one of thier extras, instead of standing around like an idiot and leaving empty handed. I don't know about you but my time is worth a LOT more than $10 or $20 per hour in a line, especially when I have friends there from around the world that I haven't actually seen in a few years . If your " Never above retail" mentality doesn't comprehend that your time is worth money too, then it's your loss. As for calling me a scalper..... I got 2 of them , I paid $30 ea and I sold one to a friend in Denmark for $40, ohhhh I'm the big badd scallper bogeyman comming to horde all of your Cel2 figures.... Give me a break.
Your hollow argument that people are too "smart" to pay $70 for a $10 figure.... IT WAS ONLY A $10 FIGURE IF AND ONLY IF YOU WERE AT THE CONVENTION AND WERE IN LINE EARLY ENOUGH TO GET ONE .It's unavailable anywhwere else... I'm sure that the long term price for this figure will drop from it's lofty Ebay price of the moment. But to what...$50 at the lowest, unless they release some more thru the fan club. STILL they are selling at $70 and above.Who's more the sucker... the person that gets what he/she wants or the whinny little Bi%ch
that complains and hems and haws over a paultry $70 purchase for a hobby that they claim to love sooo much. I DO agree that Wizards could have/should have had more of the figures available to cover the demand, but they didn't end of story. So now it's either pay up to whichever dealer/collector is selling them or go complain about the invisible scalper monster that wants to eat all of the"good figures" BTW...They wouldn't be good figures if everyone had them , they'd be like Jar Jars that no one wants or cares about.Do all of you modern collectors want to have the exact same collection?? I'm sooo glad that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage portion of the hobby, If I had to look at jack offs like you as my contemporaries, I'd quit the hobby too.
[/QUOTE]

Woohoo!!! Gotcha! The dog that barks is the dog that got HIT!

So you know you're a parasite on the hobby but you're too thin-skinned to be criticized for it!!! Sorry, baby-kins.

Sure, I'd have saved time and paid $20 for a figure as buyers were leaving the door, if I'd known about that practice BEFORE they shut the line down. Despite my typically cynical nature, I prefer to think most fans stood in lines to buy and keep the exclusives, not sell them within seconds. But ****** like you keep reaffirming the true Dark Side to any human venture.

Hey, b*tching is free. Most importantly, dill-holes like you don't have my $70 (I might consider paying Hasbro $70, but NEVER to scumsuckers like you). All you've gotten out of me is an ear full. And from your post, you ain't happy about it. So THAT makes me happy, and it didn't cost me a dime!

Talk about SHALLOW. The only way you can value your collection is whether you have something somebody ELSE doesn't have?

Is your d*ck so small you have to compensate by hoarding exclusive TOYS???

(Note: These are action figures, not strap-ons. You're dealing in the wrong plastics for what you really need.)

[ 06-10-2002, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: fumetti ]
 

Ed3

Joined
May 8, 2002
Messages
776
Reaction score
0
So you would have been happier if the Jorg Sacul figure has cost $70 at the convention (which would give Hasbro and Wizards a profit of around $65 on the figure) than to give a fellow collector with an extra to sell $20 (giving him $10 more than he paid for it but saving you time at the convention)? I would have loved to see more of the convention but I knew the figure would sell out so I got in line first thing in the morning. On reflection, I would have rather had seen "Star Wars in 30 Minutes" and paid an extra $10 for my figure but I didn't.

They're called choices, people. You make them every day and they have consequences. Could the distribution have been better? Yeah. Can they fix it for next time? I hope so. Will all this whining about a TOY put them off the idea so nobody gets anything exclusive at C3? I sure hope not but it could head that way.
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
Woohoo!!! Gotcha! The dog that barks is the dog that got HIT!

So you know you're a parasite on the hobby but you're too thin-skinned to be criticized for it!!! Sorry, baby-kins.

Sure, I'd have saved time and paid $20 for a figure as buyers were leaving the door, if I'd known about that practice BEFORE they shut the line down. Despite my typically cynical nature, I prefer to think most fans stood in lines to buy and keep the exclusives, not sell them within seconds. But ****** like you keep reaffirming the true Dark Side to any human venture.

Hey, b*tching is free. Most importantly, dill-holes like you don't have my $70 (I might consider paying Hasbro $70, but NEVER to scumsuckers like you). All you've gotten out of me is an ear full. And from your post, you ain't happy about it. So THAT makes me happy, and it didn't cost me a dime!

Talk about SHALLOW. The only way you can value your collection is whether you have something somebody ELSE doesn't have?

Is your d*ck so small you have to compensate by hoarding exclusive TOYS???

(Note: These are action figures, not strap-ons. You're dealing in the wrong plastics for what you really need.)
<font size="2" face="arial">OK.... as this has obviously pissed you off,based on the fact that you've now decided to brag about how many strap ons you own......ewwwww, practicing for being someones prag are you??

The point that I was TRYING to make that is obviously has gone in one ear and out the other, probably because you were too busy downloading some kiddie porn, Is that: No collector has any excuse,other than not being able to afford it/or being too cheap to pay for it (the first is most likely why you don't own one).Fine, I understand you being all pissed off that you stood in line and didn't get one. BUT a huge part of building a good collection is having the ingenuity to make sure that you get what you want. AS for ME hordeing all of these figures??? It makes me laugh, I currently own 1, I had 2, and that's it. I'm not condoning the "dark side of human nature" but lets face it, there are far more "dark" things in human nature than this.

BTW, you can ask your mom about my d*ck size
, she seemed to be enjoying herself.

(now back to our on topic arguement..... already in progress)

As for me being a parasite on the hobby??? I've contributed to this hobby by sharing my collection with others, offering advice to other collectors ,Helping to stop overseas scam artists on more than one occasion, helping friends get/find items that otherwise would have been unavailable to them. And I've been doing these things for years. Other than b*tching what the hell have you done for the overall good of the hobby????.

Cheers
Joseph Y.
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by sithtoys:
Hey Einstein...it takes two to tango, so this would be a non-issue if no one was SCALPING their figures right at the show.
<font size="2" face="arial">You are quite right to bring up the suckers who encourage scalping even at their own expense. I condemn this behavior just as much. If they were only hurting themselves, I wouldn't care. But their behavior has a ripple effect all through the hobby.
 
Joined
Oct 25, 2000
Messages
385
Reaction score
0
JYX1138 wrote:
"I've contributed to this hobby by sharing my collection with others, offering advice to other collectors ,Helping to stop overseas scam artists on more than one occasion, helping friends get/find items that otherwise would have been unavailable to them. And I've been doing these things for years. Other than b*tching what the hell have you done for the overall good of the hobby????".
As a fellow collector who has known Joe for a couple of years I have nothing but respect for Joe and what he's done for the hobby. Joe has found key collectibles that perhaps otherwise may have never been found. I've purchased some items and traded some items with Joe, and not once has Joe been a scalper. Cheers Joe! 8>)
Was I able to attend the Celebration? Unfortunately no, but I did see pictures of the lines and they were indeed long. Was I able to obtain an exclusive figure? Yes I did, and all it cost me was asking a fellow collector who did attend to be kind enough to pick me up a figure and I would pay the $10 cost. Thanks Rob A.! 8>)
The bottom line is Hasbro is in the toy business to make money and hopefully make kids as well as adults and collectors happy. Can Hasbro please everyone all the time? Clearly not. Does Hasbro have problems? Perhaps. One way to solve problems at Hasbro is to send them a job resume and perhaps get a job interview. I'm not singling out any collector in the hobby with the previous sentence. All I am suggesting is that if a collector has issues with Hasbro try to work for the company. Many men and women work hard to produce toys for everyone to enjoy. If a collector thinks they can do better then I would suggest filling out a job application to the company to help fix the problems. Was the distribution of the exclusive figure poor? Every collector has an opinion on that subject. There were plenty of exclusive figures created. A collector doesn't need to own one overnight. Remember the Theatre Edition Luke? What once was a figure going for over $100.00 on the collectors market basically fetches half that today. I say be patient let the market settle and pick up as many exclusive figures as you would like.
Cheers to you Joseph! 8>)

Robert
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by Sems Fir:
JYX1138 wrote:
"I've contributed to this hobby by sharing my collection with others, offering advice to other collectors ,Helping to stop overseas scam artists on more than one occasion, helping friends get/find items that otherwise would have been unavailable to them. And I've been doing these things for years. Other than b*tching what the hell have you done for the overall good of the hobby????".
As a fellow collector who has known Joe for a couple of years I have nothing but respect for Joe and what he's done for the hobby. Joe has found key collectibles that perhaps otherwise may have never been found. I've purchased some items and traded some items with Joe, and not once has Joe been a scalper. Cheers Joe! 8>)
Was I able to attend the Celebration? Unfortunately no, but I did see pictures of the lines and they were indeed long. Was I able to obtain an exclusive figure? Yes I did, and all it cost me was asking a fellow collector who did attend to be kind enough to pick me up a figure and I would pay the $10 cost. Thanks Rob A.! 8>)
The bottom line is Hasbro is in the toy business to make money and hopefully make kids as well as adults and collectors happy. Can Hasbro please everyone all the time? Clearly not. Does Hasbro have problems? Perhaps. One way to solve problems at Hasbro is to send them a job resume and perhaps get a job interview. I'm not singling out any collector in the hobby with the previous sentence. All I am suggesting is that if a collector has issues with Hasbro try to work for the company. Many men and women work hard to produce toys for everyone to enjoy. If a collector thinks they can do better then I would suggest filling out a job application to the company to help fix the problems. Was the distribution of the exclusive figure poor? Every collector has an opinion on that subject. There were plenty of exclusive figures created. A collector doesn't need to own one overnight. Remember the Theatre Edition Luke? What once was a figure going for over $100.00 on the collectors market basically fetches half that today. I say be patient let the market settle and pick up as many exclusive figures as you would like.
Cheers to you Joseph! 8>)

Robert
<font size="2" face="arial">Anybody else notice that the only people who defend this debacle are the people who **GOT THEIRS**???

"Plenty" of Jorg Sacul figures created? If that's the case, then why did THOUSANDS of disappointed fans leave the convention empty handed?

Oh that's right. Friends were picking up duplicates for non-attendees such as yourself. No doubt YOU think there were plenty--you didn't even bother to show up and got one!

But the above poster should watch his argument more carefully. If Hasbro is "in the business to make money" then WHY, praytell, do they intentionally produce LESS than the demand??? Hasbro knows FULL WELL that any overproduction for a convention exclusive could easily be sold within DAYS.

And ANYBODY could do a better job getting figures into the hands of buyers than the people at Hasbro. The problem is--whoever's making the decisions doesn't WANT these items in the hands of all the buyers who want them. Don't agree? Explain the years old policy of "short-packing", particularly the popular characters such as Dooku.

From the clear position "Joe" is taking on this issue, no doubt he wishes to "help" collectors... so long as HE collects HIS 700% profit. Gee, what a swell guy.

[ 06-10-2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: fumetti ]
 
Joined
Oct 25, 2000
Messages
385
Reaction score
0
fumetti wrote:
"Oh that's right. Friends were picking up duplicates for non-attendees such as yourself. No doubt YOU think there were plenty--you didn't even bother to show up and got one!"
How polite of YOU to SHOUT your reply! I was unable to attend the celebration because I work for a living. You seem to be throwing a temper tantrum over a plastic toy action figure for no reason! From your whining and complaining you don't even appear to act old enough to own one! After all, the card plainly states "Not for children under 3 years". Perhaps that's the reason why you couldn't obtain one.
If you believe that's it so easy to distribute toys, do all the collectors a great service and apply to Hasbro for head of distribution. Odds are good that you won't find it as easy as it seems.
Short packing could come about for any number of reasons. Hasbro can't foresee into the future and forecast which characters are going to sell the most. Hero characters generally sell better than the villians, and since Hasbro is IN THE BUSINESS to sell toys, Hasbro would probably like to make money off of their product. Remember collectors are only a segment of people who buy the toys, and since these are just toys young boys and girls should be allowed to use their minds and role play their favourite scenes from the Star Wars movies. Also secondary characters don't sell as well, and while that doesn't apply to the Count it does apply to other characters from the various forms of the Star Wars toy line. If Hasbro comes to the conclusion that a secondary character won't sell as well the production run for that figure could be a less number. If Hasbro sees that there's a demand for that character logic would hopefully tell them to increase the production run. Making action figures costs alot of money to create, produce, and distribute. If it appears that the company is going to lose money, Hasbro most likely won't order a large production run of a figure.
Another possible reason to short pack is to get people (like collectors) to keep visiting the toy aisles to see what's new (if anything at all). If you keep going back to check you may see something else to purchase from either the same toy line or perhaps another toy line Hasbro has the license to. Perhaps, Hasbro only ordered so many of a particular figure made and once it sees the demand, increases the production of the figure to meet that sale demand. Those are just some of the many possibilites.
It's obvious you are pre judging Joe and myself, when your only axed to grind is over not being able to obtain a plastic action figure.
There are other outlets besides Ebay to obtain the figure. Have you tried to post a trade ad in the forums as an example. A great way to expand the fun of the hobby is to network to help aquire the pieces you would like to have for your own collection. It wouldn't hurt to post a help ad. You may have several responses to it, and finally get the figure you missed at the celebration.
There was no need to pre judge me because I wasn't fortunate enough to attend, but able to obtain the figure you appear to desire so much. If you knew Joe personally you would find out fast he's one of the best sources for collector information and can be of great help in obtaining the pieces you may need for your collection and NOT at scalper prices as you claim. Joe has been of great help to many collectors, including myself, but I believe Joe would probably have a response to the previous posts as it's his character you are attacking, and for no reason.

Robert
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
12,726
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Originally posted by sithtoys:
(actually I am kidding, "Baby Kins" is my new pet name for John A. or Ron.... depending on who gets in the chat first)
<font size="2" face="arial">Ok how do I always get dragged into these threads?? I was harmlessly watching Joe and fumetti duke it out until a few days ago. I didn't even know this was still going on until Rob emailed me to get a laugh and sent this thread. Now poor Rob is dragged down. I think this thread is as funny as the ALF one. These two dorks have to be related. Come on guys get a life. It's a freakin' $10 figure. And yes I have one too.
It's yours for $100. *Sadly another collector turns scalper because of the money, it's a shame really*

Oh well, what are ya gonna do? I think I'll go find some Dookus, Yodas and whatever other figure people get hot and bothered about and make some cash.

BTW folks for anyone that can't see it. This is SARCASM!! I have one but I'm not selling it. I kinda want a momento for the w/e that so few people enjoyed. And just think thier enjoyment was sitting in my room unguarded along w/ my roomate's 2 Jorgs. Man somebody could have had a good w/e if we left the door open.
I almost feel like giving mine to someone just so they will shut the F@CK up!! This thread is getting way out of hand and some of these jerk offs are really saying some out of line things. I can't believe this is all b/c somebody didn't have the brains to figure out how to score an exclusive figure at the event itself. Now flame away. I can't wait to see the vulgarities that fly my way. This thread has reduced otherwise calm, collected, and helpful collectors to name calling. I am really sick of it. I often wonder why we ever stray from the vintage forum. Nothing but trolls in some of these other forums (you know who you are ALF, fumetti, and whoever that other clown was)

John
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
12,726
Reaction score
1
Location
NJ
Originally posted by Chris Maybury:
I'm sooo glad that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage portion of the hobby, If I had to look at jack offs like you as my contemporaries, I'd quit the hobby too.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever read!
<font size="2" face="arial">Nah Chris, Jason's right "Crouching idiot, hidden jackass" is the funniest I've seen. I still laugh when I see that.

John
 
Joined
Dec 21, 2001
Messages
4,063
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
[/qb]
<font size="2" face="arial">From the clear position "Joe" is taking on this issue, no doubt he wishes to "help" collectors... so long as HE collects HIS 700% profit. Gee, what a swell guy.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well, I guess that making a whopping $10 profit on a figure I paid $30 for constitutes a 700% profit?? Last time I added, it was a 25% profit??
hmmm. Let me set your mind straight here prag.
I'm a collector NOT a dealer. I collect Vintage and modern.When I sell anything (modern or Vintage) to friends I sell it for pretty much what I paid for it.Do I make a profit (albeit a small one) usually.That small profit usually helps offset the costs of buying other items for my collection.THAT is how most collectors build a nice collection.
I forgot to answer one of your little points in your earlier post, on if the only way I place value on an item in my collection is if someone else doesn't have it? No , that's not how I determine the value (or aesthetic worth) of any piece in my collection. BUT I don't want to have an exact cookie cutter replica of one of my friends collections.I think that makes the hobby borring and stagnate if everyone has the exact same collection. A LOT of my friends have completely different focus' to thier collections than mine. It makes it more fun to check out thier collections and how they're displayed, when you know you aren't going to see the exact same stuff that you have in your toy room.(or on the walmart shelf)

Cheers
Joseph
 
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
1,933
Reaction score
0
Location
Denver, Colorado
Let's settle down a bit here folks. No matter how limited this figure is, in the end, it is only a toy.

If you feel the need to continue the name-calling and such, please take it to email. Thanks
 
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
[QB] Sorry, baby-kins.[QB]
<font size="2" face="arial">LMAO... hey Joe, I think he got you there. "Baby-Kins" just fits you SO well
(actually I am kidding, "Baby Kins" is my new pet name for John A. or Ron.... depending on who gets in the chat first)

But ****** like you keep reaffirming the true Dark Side to any human venture.

[QB]
<font size="2" face="arial">Hey Einstein...it takes two to tango, so this would be a non-issue if no one was SCALPING their figures right at the show. (Yes, I too was shocked by the number of collector-turned-scalpers who were at C2.. kinda gave me a cold chill to see all that spontaneous capitalism.....brrrrrr) But...I have to agree with Joe. It didn't take much more intelligence than your average onion headed, no-shoe Banjo Picker to see that paying someone else $20 for a Jorg Sacul figure was a good move for three basic reasons: 1) I HATE waiting in long lines 2) I was 100% assured of getting a figure 3) It allowed me to spend more time actually doing something at the show, then smelling the bad B.O. from the unwashed heathens that were standing in line.(anyone who finds the latter offensive needs to spend more time in the shower, than reading NG threads
)

And in regard to your pathetic analogy: in the case of being a "*****" Joe (aka. "Baby-Kins") would have actually been the "John" in your scenario, with the collector-turned-scalpers being the "******" (ie. the payor and the payee respectively) You aren't related to ALF are you ?

Bill ~(who really wants to be given the nick name of "The Phantom Menace" for his stealth-like ability to produce death-dealing farts, and leave the scene unnoticed)
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
2,820
Reaction score
0
Joe a "baby-kins"? That's rich. I could probably come up with a few nicknames for Joe, and this certainly would NOT be one of them! LOL!
 

GNT

Moderator
Joined
May 18, 2000
Messages
70,330
Reaction score
30
Location
Australia
"Plenty" of Jorg Sacul figures created? If that's the case, then why did THOUSANDS of disappointed fans leave the convention empty handed?
<font size="2" face="arial">There was said to be 26 000 George Sacul figures I believe now lets say each person in line got 2 that would be 13 000 people got the figure,now from what I've hard there was 40 or so thousand there on one day? So I'm pretty sure there were alot of angry fans.
 
Joined
May 1, 2001
Messages
2,206
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by John J. Alvarez:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by Chris Maybury:
I'm sooo glad that there's a lot of diversity in the vintage portion of the hobby, If I had to look at jack offs like you as my contemporaries, I'd quit the hobby too.

This has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever read!
<font size="2" face="arial">Nah Chris, Jason's right "Crouching idiot, hidden jackass" is the funniest I've seen. I still laugh when I see that.

John
</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">You guys are too kind. But really... how can I take credit for such a funny line when we are in such a "target rich environment"


Bill

~for the record: I have been getting more laughs just thinking about calling Joe "Baby-Kins" the next time I see him
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
2,820
Reaction score
0
I seriously think we should call Joe that from now on. That's the best thing I've heard since ALF went on a rampage yelling "fool and his money, fool and his money".

The funniest thing about it is that Joe definitely does NOT look like a "baby-kins". That name fits so improperly it's ridiculous.
 
G

Guest

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter GNT:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">"Plenty" of Jorg Sacul figures created? If that's the case, then why did THOUSANDS of disappointed fans leave the convention empty handed?
<font size="2" face="arial">There was said to be 26 000 George Sacul figures I believe now lets say each person in line got 2 that would be 13 000 people got the figure,now from what I've hard there was 40 or so thousand there on one day? So I'm pretty sure there were alot of angry fans.</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">I'm so pleased that someone else got to this before I did. WotC estimated attendance at 24,000 for the weekend, and there were over 70,000 that came through the doors. Doesn't matter if you had done an "over-print" on the figure, the attendance was well over anything that was expected.

I'm sorry, but I got mine. I waited in line on Sunday morning (the first/only chance I had to do this) and bought my figures. I've sold one of them, to a customer of mine at my shop, the other is sitting on my desk right now, and will stay there. I wanted to see some other things at C2, but I never had the chance. Be happy that you did have that chance.

I do think that some lessons were learned from this show, maybe some of the same people will still be around to make sure that those lessons are applied to C3. I'm not betting on it though.

jeff
 
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
Woohoo!!! Gotcha! The dog that barks is the dog that got HIT!

So you know you're a parasite on the hobby but you're too thin-skinned to be criticized for it!!! Sorry, baby-kins.

Sure, I'd have saved time and paid $20 for a figure as buyers were leaving the door, if I'd known about that practice BEFORE they shut the line down. Despite my typically cynical nature, I prefer to think most fans stood in lines to buy and keep the exclusives, not sell them within seconds. But ****** like you keep reaffirming the true Dark Side to any human venture.

Hey, b*tching is free. Most importantly, dill-holes like you don't have my $70 (I might consider paying Hasbro $70, but NEVER to scumsuckers like you). All you've gotten out of me is an ear full. And from your post, you ain't happy about it. So THAT makes me happy, and it didn't cost me a dime!

Talk about SHALLOW. The only way you can value your collection is whether you have something somebody ELSE doesn't have?

Is your d*ck so small you have to compensate by hoarding exclusive TOYS???

(Note: These are action figures, not strap-ons. You're dealing in the wrong plastics for what you really need.)
<font size="2" face="arial">So, in other words, you don't have a good, logical response to his post.

-John
 
Joined
May 17, 2002
Messages
894
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by wooten:
So, in other words, you don't have a good, logical response to his post.

-John[/QB]
<font size="2" face="arial">I gave your post precisely the response it deserved.

If you want better, then provide more to work with.
 
Joined
Sep 13, 2000
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
Originally posted by fumetti:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="arial">Originally posted by wooten:
So, in other words, you don't have a good, logical response to his post.

-John
<font size="2" face="arial">I gave your post precisely the response it deserved.

If you want better, then provide more to work with.[/QB]</font>[/QUOTE]<font size="2" face="arial">uh..ok..this was my first post to the thread....

Very interesting, read, though. It's always funny to see someone choke when they run out ways to avoid offering a counterpoint.

-John
 
Joined
Feb 21, 2001
Messages
2,820
Reaction score
0
I really wish these message boards had an archiving system like the old newsgroups. For posterity's sake, we really need to save these great responses from guys like fumetti and ALF. They're the best ever. I think they're even better than old-school guys that used to lurk in the newsgroups. This "Celebartion 2" thread is the best thing that Rebelscum.com ever did. Look at how much hilarity has ensued!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top