DeAgostini's Next Star Wars Partwork Kit: 1:2 scale R2-D2

Reaction score
I don't know how many have heard about this but I'm kinda baffled really. DeAgostini asked it's subscribers of the Falcon kit what they thought it's next kit should be and this wasn't even listed as an option... but here it is... a 1:2 scale R2-D2... here's the announcement:

Source : http://www.jedinews.co.uk

News: the next partworks of star-wars deagostini is...

According to a listing on the UK Magazine website, Newsstand, Deagostini are releasing a test market issue of a new part build called "Build Your Own Star Wars: R2-D2."

Currently on release is the hugely popular Build The Millennium Falcon, which is currently just past half way of its build / subscription. A new series would likely begin next year.

If this test series goes well, it looks like our next build will be a fully functional R2-D2...What's scale ?

And here's some photos of the first issue:

Thought you'd all like to see it!

Not sure myself if I wanna jump on this one yet or not.

Reaction score
Wow...that is highly disappointing. So many other options. No thanks
I'm not sure how I feel about this... 1/2 scale would still be pretty impressive... I've got the 1/6 scale AI Robot and I love him... show him off to all my guests as he actually understands voice commands. Kinda makes me wonder what they will do with this one to make him different. Will he come with all the attachements (grabber, saw, plug, shocker, periscope, drink dispenser and tray, etc) or will he just be another static remote control toy?

Reaction score
I think what I'm most confused about here is that back in June DeAgostini sent us all a survey asking us what their next partwork kit should be... they gave us 5 choices:

1 - AT-AT
2 - Luke's X-Wing Starfighter
3 - Imperial Star Destroyer
4 - Darth Vader's TIE Advanced X-1
5 - Y-Wing Starfighter
6 - T-47 Airspeeder

No where on that list was R2-D2 and frankly, I never even considered him as an option. So I guess what I'm confused most about here is how they got the impression that an R2-D2 would have been a popular idea for the next kit? Doesn't make any sense!

Reaction score
I think what I'm most confused about here is that back in June DeAgostini sent us all a survey asking us what their next partwork kit should be... they gave us 5 choices:

1 - AT-AT
5 - Y-Wing Starfighter
6 - T-47 Airspeeder

No where on that list was R2-D2 and frankly, I never even considered him as an option. So I guess what I'm confused most about here is how they got the impression that an R2-D2 would have been a popular idea for the next kit? Doesn't make any sense!
that may be why I am so disappointed. I was ok with no AT-AT since dragon is coming out with one but I would have jumped on any of the others.

Reaction score
If it were a full 1:1 scale I'd have jumped on this, at half scale I doubt it. I may pick up some parts for the electronics if they are any good but otherwise this is a pass.

Chris

Reaction score
I know what you mean... even at half scale it'll end up being 1.55 feet tall. But, I'm just not too sure how they are gonna pull off the dome. I think about it, the dome itself unless it came as a single part would have to be divided into sections. Than it would end up having so many seams that would be a pain to fill and sand smooth not to mention re-chrome/metalize afterward!

Reaction score
Good point, I hadn't even thought of that! It doesn't really lend itself to being pieced together. The skin can join at the shoulder I suppose but that is still a very big part, same goes for the dome. Back to the R2 builders club for me.

Reaction score
Well, if that test run is successfull and it sees release after the Falcon, and me sitting over here in german Europe, you UK / US builders might start it a full year before ( Falcon just started over here in January ;) ), so I have maaaaaany reviews, building diaries... to read before I decite to jump in ;)

As for scale I think its fair, would fit perfectly to my MR scaled saber collection. Only other idea for a possible droid build would be a 1:1 BB-8 since he is just half the size of R2 :) :) :) .... or a Mouse Droid :p

Reaction score
It does seem an odd choice give their 'poll' last year. I don't think they're afraid of sending large parts, they did a spitfire last year, I think it was 1:3, so a dome may not be a problem.

An easy pass for me.

Reaction score
I guess it all depends on how they handle all the parts. I may wait and see how it progresses and see how the dome is handled... or if it goes from 3 legged to 2 legged remotely... if the dome comes as a single piece I may consider it... if not I'll have to pass on it. But its weird that they ask us for our opinions on what they should work on next and I highly doubt that anyone said anything about HEY HOW ABOUT A HALF SIZE R2? All the options that were proposed were ships... so it wasn't even in our heads to think of droids. If that were the case, they should have done a Probe Droid... it was never made as a kit before... that would have been more attractive then another run of the mill R2 in my opinion!

Last edited:
Reaction score
just wondered if at least some of his tools will be installed, no matter if working one like the grabbling arm, the buzzsaw, dome antenna, or just for fun tools like the shocker, leg jets... thinking again, DeAg would announce that kind of addons, wouldn't they ?

Reaction score
From what it looks like on the site, the only thing they show is one of the two front arms extend. As for the rest, who knows. It's not gonna be 1:1 scale... it's gonna be Half Scale 1:2... so about 1' 6.5" tall. The original R2 was 3'1" tall. It does seem to go on saying that it'll be able to be controlled from a smart phone, will have a camera, several other sensors, and authentic lights and sounds. I've got the Hasbro Interactive R2-D2 which I believe is 1:4 scale, and I love it. But it's completely voice activated and does have it's quirks. I'm still wondering how they are gonna do the dome... if that comes in several parts, it may not be worth it because that would mean alot of seam filling, sanding, blending, rechroming to get it to look right. I think personally I'll wait to see other's make this one to see if it's worth buying.

Reaction score
Too small and too plain vanilla for me.
Yeah... if they include like remote controlled tools like the periscope, the grabber arms etc, that would be nice... what would be even cooler is if it went from 3 legged mode to 2 legged mode... all remotely! Then maybe, just maybe, I would reconsider and think about getting this... even at half scale that would be pretty sweet. But from the looks of it, if just the one front arm moves, it really don't interest me much.

Reaction score
HAs anyone heard the total price? I'm really excited about this. I already had the MR Falcon, so this has really peaked my interest.

Reaction score
I don't think so... each issue will probably sell for the same price as the Falcon thou (but that's just a guess). The Falcon issues in the US run about $15 an issue. I hope it doesn't run 100 issues... but there's no real telling... right now its gearing up for a test run in the UK only so there's no telling yet.

Reaction score

1 - AT-AT
5 - Y-Wing Starfighter
6 - T-47 Airspeeder

The reason the r2 D2 wasnt on the survey is that it was already in development when the survey was sent out.I can tell you that DeAgostini has heard what the customers want re more Star Wars kits so you may see some of the kits on the list in the future.It does take a while to develop the kits and then they do a market test to see if it will sell well.I volunteer as forum support for model space USA

Carl

Reaction score
It does seem an odd choice give their 'poll' last year. I don't think they're afraid of sending large parts, they did a spitfire last year, I think it was 1:3, so a dome may not be a problem.

An easy pass for me.

The Spitfire was 1/12.
The size limitation depends on whether it will be released to newsagents as a weekly magazine or sold as a partwork.In UK often the kits are availbe at newsstands as weekly installments so the parts must be small enough to package with a magazine.The partworks are delivered monthly in boxes so they can have more/bigger parts to them.

Carl

Reaction score
"This was NOT the droid i was looking for"

To each their own, but more studio scale is what I was expecting..
Hope it does well though, so that more projects are offered in the future.

Reaction score
What scale is the RC R2 that Toys r Us has right now? Seems like you'd just be building a version of that for a lot more money.

Reaction score
What scale is the RC R2 that Toys r Us has right now? Seems like you'd just be building a version of that for a lot more money.
I got the interactive one that came out a few years back. I think it's about 1/6th scale if I'm not mistaken.

Reaction score
Someone mentioned it on the Star Wars Show live feed from SCE that it was the next kit and going to start around the first of the year.

Reaction score
They were selling issue 1 at Celebration Europe. Expecting to go on news stands later this year. I spoke to the guy who moderates the Millennium Falcon forum and he said that they are looking at other models but cannot announce anything yet. The Facon has apparently proved very popular. Fingers crossed