DC has found their "Feige"

Reaction score
I figured this was coming once hamada left, on one hand I'm glad to see they finally put someone in charge of DC separately from WB and not a whole committee pulling in all directions. On the other how does this affect the more ordinary characters being as Gunn's wheelhouse is the oddball ones, and will this be a conflict of interest between him being a director or CEO when it comes to choosing projects?

On the surface it does appear like a good choice, only time will tell.

Reaction score
Well I'd venture to guess this means Guardian's 3 is the last of Gunn's Marvel ventures. Which, after they way they treated him over a tweet how many years ago (eyeroll to cancel culture), I'd venture to say he'd say "Good riddance!"

GNT

Reaction score
It‘s good news for DC to be honest, they just can’t seem to get off the ground with any longer term projects so I fell like it’s in good hands now but only time will tell.

Reaction score
I'm a big DC fan. My favorite television show of all-time is Batman: The Animated Series (live-action goes to Daredevil). Among my favorite films of all-time at Batman films. I absolutely adore Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. I've read more DC comics than I care to admit...

...and I've mostly disliked to at best been unimpressed with modern DC films. I didn't hate Man of Steel, I really didn't. In fact, there's some stuff in there I REALLY liked (other stuff was meh for me) and I do think Cavill is an excellent Superman. I also thought the score was gorgeous! I rather liked Wonder Woman a lot, though I do think the climax devolved into a video game. I think the other I enjoyed most was probably Shazam, it was nice to see a lighter modern DC film. I did enjoy Joker and The Batman, though I have my nitpicks, but thought they were pretty darn good mostly...but they don't count really as they're not part of the DCCU. I thought The Suicide Squad was...dumb enjoyable fun. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it's got much lasting power for me. But for me, Aquaman, WW1984, JL, Birds of Prey, BvS, and Suicide Squad, were anywhere between "meh" to downright awful. All of them had elements I enjoyed in them though, more or less.

And I must admit, I thought the Peacemaker series was GREAT!

But I do think it'll be nice to get new heads of, because I think DC has potential. Hell, I know it does. I mean look at the Timm animated universe. They're among the greatest shows ever made. I could talk about BTAS and JLA/JLU all day. Those STUCK with me on a very profound level. These characters have the potential to give us stuff not only as good as the MCU Phase 1-3, but potentially better...they just need the right creative team. Snyder was NOT that. I hope this is the right one.

Reaction score
The upcoming Flash movie is said to crib from Flashpoint, which will allow them to have their "multiverse", reboot without rebooting

Reaction score
I kind of do think they need a soft reboot while still keeping the same actors for their respective characters. While I wasn't the biggest fan of MoS per say I liked Caville as Kal-El/Superman and thought he did a good job with what he had to work with and the tone they chose. Which IMO is what caused the DCEU to be an odd version since it was more of a Dark Knight take and while it works fine for Batman it doesn't as much for Superman. So I'm totally fine with a reimagining for the character to a more classic version of hope.

Wonder Woman I don't think needs changed in any way as she was able to transition fine from her solo to JL and not seem like a drastic departure of what drives her character. I still not a fan of Gadot because I don't think she can pull it off solo without a seasoned vet opposite to draw on, which is why we got WW84. If they bring back Trevor in any way for WW3 to support her performance, as if he's some distant relative that looks like him I'm out, I've been over that character since he died in the first movie. And I know they won't do it but I wouldn't be opposed to recasting WW with someone who can actually handle the role better. That said if she only guest stars as WW in other features going forward then at least there will be someone to play off of and the sole focus isn't on her to perform.

Black Adam not being part of the new regime's plans kind of makes it feel as one off but if it's the catalyst for getting Caville back for more Superman movies fine. I just don't know how it really plays into the larger DCU because it felt as if it wasn't connected considering we've never heard of the JSA when threats like Doomsday and Steppenwolf threatened the World. So to me it felt like an alternate universe. While black Adam was lacking in the story and villain it made up for it with action and some comedy and where it really shined was the performances by Brosnan and Hodge as Fate and Hawkman respectively. I could totally see a Hawkman Movie being made, though I think it would also have to feature some other heroes from JSA era. I felt Atom smasher was a wasted role so I'd be for replacing him.

I remain curious and optimistic about what Gunn can do for DC, but we shall have to see what and how it will all work together with events of Batman: Flashpoint. Or go in a totally new direction. I think it was a travesty the way they treated Superman and Caville for their own mistakes.

Reaction score
so I keep seeing these articles about the fans of DC being in an uproar over Gunn rebooting the DC franchise and starting fresh in a sense. I'm all for a reboot as I'd like to see what stories and talent can possibly be written/discovered under the new direction. I have nothing against the many writers/actors that have brought the DC Universe to the silver screen but I'm not attached 100% to any one actor/actress who has portrayed a character in the DC Franchise either. Also with the new direction by Gunn, perhaps we can finally get a Green Lantern Corp movie, a Batman movie that does not have another origin storyline, possibly even a Superman movie that does not have an origin storyline.

The DC franchise is full of characters with a rich, established history and I look forward to seeing where the new Cinematic Universe goes.

Reaction score
I think they should competely reboot everything. there's no reason to keep anything from the snyder-verse. not even Aquaman. I mean, as much as I love Momoa, he should be playing LOBO! (ffs!) not Aquaman. Snyder's casting choices were just downright weird -- they didn't reflect an intuitive knowledge of the characters nor subject matter. he just went "dark" for dark's sake (even where it wasn't really called for). I'd rather see an actual "DC" universe; not another "Snyder"-verse (or insert-director's-name-here-Verse). Snyder tried too hard to "make it his own", which is a shame, given the rich history of the characters -- they never belonged to him in the first place.

at this point, I think the best DC movies are still the animated ones -- each animated feature is different from the next... as if they each take place in different 'universes' unto themselves.... but each one seems to present the characters more faithfully than Snyder did. his version is too far afield. I think they should reboot everything. including WW and Aquaman. (and they should scrap the upcoming Flash movie. I mean, why even bother at this point? the snyder-verse is dead. long live the DCU).

The DC franchise is full of characters with a rich, established history and I look forward to seeing where the new Cinematic Universe goes.

agreed.

Last edited:

GNT

Reaction score
I agree let’s just scrap it all and start fresh, otherwise it’s going to be tainted by elements from a failed DC universe.

Reaction score
Cavill is out as Superman, so it certainly points to a complete reboot which is probably the right move in the long run. While I didn't care for MoS that much I thought his portrayal of Superman was pretty good for the era we're in. My most wanted thing to happen has finally come to pass if they also recast for Wonder Woman. Gadot did okay but I never really felt convinced she was WW with her dainty build and she just doesn't hold up well as a lead.

Murmurs suggest Momoa may be wind up being Lobo.

Reaction score
Which is most likely the reason for his Witcher departure, not Superman like everyone else assumed. He's a major Wahammer geek so this is probably a dream come true for him! Moreso than any other casting, I think.

I'm not into Warhammer but I look forward to seeing how it does in live action.

Reaction score
Which is most likely the reason for his Witcher departure, not Superman like everyone else assumed. He's a major Wahammer geek so this is probably a dream come true for him! Moreso than any other casting, I think.

I'm not into Warhammer but I look forward to seeing how it does in live action.

Games Workshop are notoriously gatekeeping their brand, so it's kind of a surprise, but then again if Daddy Bezos is throwing out money, then why not get a cut of that.

Reaction score
Heck, I'm still waiting on a Starcraft Movie! So my hope is that outing like this having success will lead to that soon, because for that IP it would require heavy CG which is expensive. I thought maybe Warcraft might have helped with these efforts but that movie bombed so...

Reaction score
a weird quote from James Gunn went out the other day... the headline reads "We're Not Recasting Everyone."

(which seems self-explanatory).

BUT the actual quote was addressing rumors that Gunn was planning to keep The Suicide Squad intact.

what he actually said was: "I keep seeing posts with this untrue theory. We're not recasting everyone except The Suicide Squad."

to me this means: "We're not recasting 'everyone-except-the-suicide-squad' (we are, in fact, recasting Everyone INCLUDING the suicide squad)."

for some reason it was misinterpretted to mean "We're Not Recasting Everyone [truncated]".

^^ I guess this is how "Fake News" happens..? :unsure: *shrug*

Reaction score
Well, and then you have Star like Levi post that he's Gucci when responding to a tweet about Shazam being done after the sequel which kind of implies he not getting recast. I don't think you can piecemeal things from the Snyderverse to carry over, it needs to be a total reset/reboot or don't do it at all. Now when it comes to Cavill not returning it might simply be due to his commitment to Warhammer rather than on Gunn's end and not wanting him. All I can say is if you're not keeping him as Superman because you want a "younger" version of Clark, then you also have to recast every other JL member, especially Gadot as I felt hers was the worst portrayal out of them all. Not that it was horrible, just not as strong, specifically without a co-lead to feed off of.

So as far as I'm concerned if he's not going to recast her I don't know that I have as much faith in his direction as I once did, and I thought this was a great move in the beginning. I think he just needs to rip that band aid off and state it clearly what the plan is instead of tweeting this and that as responses to questions or theories. Yeah you might piss off the whole internet either way but at least it's done, and you can move on from there instead of pissing people off in stages over the course of each new leak/rumor.

IMO Suicide Squad doesn't need recasting as I felt it was one off side shot anyway, plus it never featured anyone of importance from the DCU other than Waller. Besides it's not like they didn't totally replace the cast from the first one to the second one aside from Boomarang, Quinn and Waller.
They also technically can still keep these actors on as those same characters in "Elseworld" or "Multiverse" stories that aren't connected to the DCU.
And I'm sure they'll keep Peacemaker since that was a hit on HBO.

My main want is for them to finally address Green Lantern, it's been ten years since that flop, we're ready for the Emerald Knight's return! Second would be to have Martian Manhunter and then Hawkman.

Reaction score
IMO they should pull a "Steve Rogers" and start the cycle of DC reboots by doing a version of Superman in the 1930's. go back to the original source material and tell a period piece. I think it was 1937? (or 1938?) when the comic was first published.... so that sounds like a good place to start.

and they can still use the same actor for the "present day" stuff in 2022.. because he's an alien... so there's no telling how fast he ages -- the only problem would be "Clark Kent" -- because Superman would need to adopt many different identities over the course of history in order to fit in (like Highlander).

so maybe the Kent family names everybody "Clark" LOL. :p by the time we get to 2022, he would be "Clark Kent III" (or Clark Kent Jr.) -- named for his great great grandfather (who happens to be the same guy).

it could happen.

Reaction score
IMO they should pull a "Steve Rogers" and start the cycle of DC reboots by doing a version of Superman in the 1930's. go back to the original source material and tell a period piece. I think it was 1937? (or 1938?) when the comic was first published.... so that sounds like a good place to start.

and they can still use the same actor for the "present day" stuff in 2022.. because he's an alien... so there's no telling how fast he ages -- the only problem would be "Clark Kent" -- because Superman would need to adopt many different identities over the course of history in order to fit in (like Highlander).

so maybe the Kent family names everybody "Clark" LOL. :p by the time we get to 2022, he would be "Clark Kent III" (or Clark Kent Jr.) -- named for his great great grandfather (who happens to be the same guy).

it could happen.
I mean, in fairness, it's no worse an excuse/cover than the glasses thing. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
https://toynewsi.com/414-45612

Well I can't speak for anyone else, but for me...this is probably the best thing to hear. This gives me high hopes. I OFTEN cited the JLA/JLU animated series as definitive proof of how freaking incredible a JLA film could (and should) be. I could rave on and on about how excellent and mature, even deep and emotional sometimes, that series was. In fact, before this show, I was fairly limited in my DC knowledge. I was pretty much only fluent in Batman lore and to a lesser extent, Superman. At the time, I always considered myself a Marvel fanboy and was pure team Marvel through and through with the only exception of Batman. This was my first deep dive into the larger DC universe as a whole and I just fell in love and expanded into deep DC comic research. I especially fell in love with Flash, Green Arrow, Martian Manhunter, and The Question due to this show. This show even convinced me that Superman is NOT lame, a stance that I was very firmly in as a teenager. This proved me wrong. In fact, the series has my favorite non-comic Superman moment ever. While he will still never be a favorite of mine, personally, it made me come to appreciate him. No longer was I going to play that playground "one of the other" vs. match, this is what converted me from calling myself a Marvel fan to I'm a SUPERHERO fan.

I love DC and Marvel...well, when they are good. There's so much lore over so many decades now, both have their fair share of great or pure trash. That's just the nature of the beast lingering on and on so long and changing creative hands so much. But now I'm a firm believer that I really don't understand how someone cannot like one if they enjoy the other. The whole DC or Marvel fued is so juvinile. It's fun to play up as a sort of playful ribbing and totally fine to have a preference, but I just roll my eyes at those who take the fued actually all that seriously. They have far more in common than different. Heck, how many times have they overtly ripped each other off?