Darth Vader

Reaction score
Vaders lenses were never red. Been always black colored since when Star Wars been around since VHS
Not to add to any arguments, but in the final scenes of ROTS, we see that (from the inside) Vader's 'LENSES' aren't really
lenses at all. They're mini TV screens. Maybe Vader sees everything like it's in a View-Master (lol). And maybe it gives him
'extra visual bandwidth', like infrared or something.

But despite this. the reality was that Prowse did have eye holes covered with lenses. But don't ever recall them ever looking red to me.

-Wolf

I can be convinced otherwise if someone can just show me a screengrab.

Reaction score
Not to add to any arguments, but in the final scenes of ROTS, we see that (from the inside) Vader's 'LENSES' aren't really
lenses at all. They're mini TV screens. Maybe Vader sees everything like it's in a View-Master (lol). And maybe it gives him

But despite this. the reality was that Prowse did have eye holes covered with lenses. But don't ever recall them ever looking red to me.

-Wolf

Ha, I have been trying to pretend all that PT rubbish doesn't matter.

Reaction score
The only one who can truly answer that, is the Man in the mask. But I imagine that see through black lenses can appear to have a reddish tint with the right lighting.

What would someone with Force abilities, need with HUD in his eyelets holes anyways? Or a tracking system in TIE for that matter. lol

Reaction score

-Wolf

Like I said before, they were more "amber" than red and even then can only be seen as such briefly in a few shots. It's very subtle.

Reaction score
From what I remember, you can see the red lenses as well as the actor's eyes in A New Hope when Vader is in his Tie Fighter during the Trench Run on the Death Star.

Reaction score
Vader's ANH lenses always looked a very deep, almost bloody red to me:

Reaction score
From what I remember, you can see the red lenses as well as the actor's eyes in A New Hope when Vader is in his Tie Fighter during the Trench Run on the Death Star.
Also on the Tantive IV

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

Reaction score
Kinda off topic but that was the most revealing trailer yet. For some reason the overseas trailers are always more revealing. I need to remind myself to stop watching them as soon as I see subtitles.

Reaction score
Rogue One Darth Vader is a VERY nice action figure. No doubt about it. I already own two.

But I have to say I am so very sorry to see that Hasbro is slowly returning to this sculpted cape / robe nonsense.

Rigid, static garments on these action figures were a mainstay of the awful mid 1990's - early 2000's of the Power of the Force 2 through SAGA 1 lines. That approach to capes and robes completely kills the intended functionality of an action figure, and instead, reduces it to an action-less glorified mini-statue. It is a design mindset that caters to the collector constituency of displayers while neglecting the primary purpose of a toy's functionality. Rigid, sculpted capes and robes are designed (once again) to make the figure look good ONLY in the packaging or propped on a shelf... perfect for action figure speculators, scalpers, re-sellers, and displayers, but none of which are the primary purposes of a TOY. There is something really wrong, I think, when an action figure that features all kinds of rigid, sculpted robes and/or capes cannot even stand up on its own (as was the case with some of the pre-posed figures and salt shakers Hasbro previously released back in the old days).

I do understand the frustration of some collectors (like bigbarada) with the poor quality of some of Hasbro's soft goods offerings of the past. However, the solution to that problem (in my view) is NOT to return to the limiting sculpted robes / capes of the past, but instead to provide soft goods that are created with much higher quality fabrics. THAT approach results in action figures that satisfy ALL consumer requirements... playability AND display. Furthermore, Hasbro's past with this franchise has proven that higher-quality fabrics ARE possible within their development of these figures. Way back in 1999, Commtech Chip Darth Vader was dressed in a soft goods cape (AND lower robe) that was absolutely BRILLIANT... made of incredibly high-quality fabric. So I cannot accept the notion that it is too "expensive" to use better fabrics.

In the final analysis, I will say that one of the most magical things about STAR WARS is its ability to capture the hearts and imaginations of new generations. The toy tie-ins have always been a HUGE part of the reason for this. Many of the young people newly entering this hobby will wish to use their toys (as they are intended) to re-enact adventures they have seen on screen, or invent all-new ones. Well that gets harder and harder to do when the only Emperor Palpatine action figure available cannot even sit down on his throne because his robes are sculpted rigid or he's been designed as a salt-shaker action figure with no working legs.

I'm reminded of a very sad "day after Christmas" scene that I observed in a Toys R Us back in 1995 during the God-awful Power of the Force 2 line: A mother was returning a Millennium Falcon she purchased as a gift for her boy because he became frustrated over not being able to play with it. The poorly designed (overly-bulky, and pre-posed) POTF2 Han Solo and Chewbacca action figures could not even fit together properly seated inside the ship's cockpit! Yeah. Sad.

I'll say it again: I love the aesthetic look of this latest Rogue One Darth Vader action figure very much. A top notch job on the sculpt.

But sculpt is NOT my only consideration when judging the merits of an action figure for adding to my 39 year old STAR WARS collection. As a squadron builder, I am still hoping for Hasbro to produce an all-new, more accurately sculpted (and colored) Darth Vader's Tie X-1 Advanced Starfighter (C'mon, Hasbro! The POTF2 mold is outdated now!). If and when they do produce this fighter, I think it would be really nice if the available Darth Vader action figure at that point is able to actually SIT in the cockpit... even while wearing his cape and robes... you know, just like we all saw in the film.

I'm just sayin'...:\

Reaction score

-Wolf

The mystery continues!

I could be wrong, but I always felt like the A NEW HOPE Darth Vader mask was NOT equipped with red eye lenses, per se. To me, the confusion is born from the fact that the lenses were actually smoked and translucent, and they allowed Dave Prowse's eyes (and the skin around them) to occasionally be visible in some shots, under certain lighting conditions. His skin, seen through translucent smoked lenses, is the source of the reddish tint that some perceive as the color of his lenses.

In the shots in the Tie Fighter, the "red eye lenses" misidentification is likely due to the red lighting inside the cockpit, reflecting off of Mr. Prowse's skin, visible through the eye lenses.

Reaction score
Well, that's a surprise! Just seen Adam Pawlus review of this figure and he revealed that he has 6 POA, there is a swivel waist, which is pretty cool and a nice throwback to the POTF2 days.
There is nothing "nice" about ANY kind of throwback to the God-awful POTF2 days! Grrrrrrrrrr!

LOL!:grin:

Reaction score
ESB is still my favorite design.
Mine too. Costume looked nice and functional without being too dull (like in A NEW HOPE) or too slick (like in RETURN OF THE JEDI... needed shades just to look directly at the hi gloss shine of that overly-polish buffed helmet). Also, Dave Prowse filled out his suit best in Episode V. In Episode VI, he actually appeared to have a bit of a pot belly in some shots! Yep... THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK was definitely Darth Vader's movie!

This looks like a good ANH Vader. He might replace my death star clash/commtech hybrid figure.
"Death Star Clash" / Comm Tech hybrid Vader is the current official ANH Darth Vader action figure in my collection too. But as much as I like the Rogue One Darth Vader figure, I doubt very much he will become the new official ANH Vader for me. The lack of decent soft-goods robes and the fact that Hasbro has shrunken the scale (yet again) of these action figures disqualifies it as definitive for me. No, very soon now, I will just be making my own ANH Vader, and that will be that.

Reaction score
Other than the panel being a little too low, I'm all about vader's ANH look. The robes over the chest piece add a lot of elegance (always loved that shot of him standing at attention without his cape in the SW storybook), the horizontal stitching on the gloves contrasts well with the vertical stitching on his suit and the top of the helmet sits a little lower making him look more menacing (the matte finish probably has a lot to do with this as well).
Plus it harkens back to Mcquarrie's original intent with vader's suit with it simply being distinct looking space flight gear and none of that nonsense of him being this clunky, space frankenstein cyborg reliant on a suit for survival.
His ESB look is ace as well but his original look will always be my favorite.
Excellent, excellent points.

Reaction score

why don't photo archives have comparison photos anymore. I would love to see this compared to previous incarnations.

Reaction score
Got one today. Seeing a new Vader made me very excited. Hoping to find a 2nd one. One to open, one to....

Reaction score
Certainly my most favourite iteration of the dark lord. Love this sculpt.
Excellent work Hasbro.

Reaction score
This figure is going to be in high demand for sure after folks see this film.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I like his size and proportions, but I think he would be amazing with more POA and a wired fabric cape for shaping and posing.

Reaction score
I love this figure. However my VC 93 Vader still hasn't been replaced. That is my favorite Vader.

Reaction score
I love this figure. However my VC 93 Vader still hasn't been replaced. That is my favorite Vader.

If I remember correctly, the VC93 Vader is the only Vader with Elbow Joints as opposed to the standard Swivel Joints were used to seeIng.

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the VC93 Vader is the only Vader with Elbow Joints as opposed to the standard Swivel Joints were used to seeIng.

You mean like ball joints? There are tons of Vader figures with ball jointed elbows.

Reaction score
The dozens I saw sitting on Walmart pegs over the past 2 weeks and $6.99 Buy It Now prices on eBay indicate "no".

Same here. The 12" Vader figure is also not selling at all, when all of the 12" Deathtroopers are gone. And there are still more than just a few of last year's TFA packaged Vaders sitting on shelves.

Reaction score
Same here. The 12" Vader figure is also not selling at all, when all of the 12" Deathtroopers are gone. And there are still more than just a few of last year's TFA packaged Vaders sitting on shelves.
To be fair, that version last year was crap. Even though this is only 5poa it's a basic bare bones Vader and we know exactly what we're getting, and seems to be a good sculpt.

JVM

Reaction score
Hey, does this guy have a ball-jointed neck? I don't want to decapitate him trying to fix his tilted head... beautiful figure though, even I was surprised. Hasbro always finds ways to make a new Darth Vader figure appealing to someone who always feels like he has all he needs...

Reaction score
Hey, does this guy have a ball-jointed neck? I don't want to decapitate him trying to fix his tilted head... beautiful figure though, even I was surprised. Hasbro always finds ways to make a new Darth Vader figure appealing to someone who always feels like he has all he needs...

It's a swivel neck

Reaction score
Yaaaay because I really... wanted ANOTHER Vader figure with a... laser-force-gatorade-color grappling hook... remember how he used that in the movies?! :wtf:

Reaction score
Yaaaay because I really... wanted ANOTHER Vader figure with a... laser-force-gatorade-color grappling hook... remember how he used that in the movies?! :wtf:
The really cool thing is how it's not attached to Vader, so one could likely use one's hand to remove it from the package and discard it if so desired. Very neat things, these action figures.

Reaction score
To make up for the lack of articulation in the Rogue One Vader, I swapped over the body from the Black Series version, and found that the cloak from the Rebels figure fits nicely as well: