Darth Vader

Reaction score
Multiple rounds of downsizing the collection.
I've gone through the same thing and it's kind of amazing that other collectors can't seem to comprehend the idea that not all collectors hold onto everything they've ever bought. I routinely purge my collection when I feel that it's getting too large and cumbersome. The last one was earlier this year when I sent all of the TFA and Rebels toys that I had bought, up to that point, to my nephews. I went through an all-encompassing purge in 2014, that took my action figure collection down to zero, and other purges in 2012, 2008, 2005, 2002, 1999, 1996, and 1995.

Reaction score
I've gone through the same thing and it's kind of amazing that other collectors can't seem to comprehend the idea that not all collectors hold onto everything they've ever bought. I routinely purge my collection when I feel that it's getting too large and cumbersome. The last one was earlier this year when I sent all of the TFA and Rebels toys that I had bought, up to that point, to my nephews. I went through an all-encompassing purge in 2014, that took my action figure collection down to zero, and other purges in 2012, 2008, 2005, 2002, 1999, 1996, and 1995.

Yep. I got tired of having boxes and boxes of stuff that I knew I wasn't ever going to be able(or want) to display. A smaller collection is much more manageable and enjoyable to me.

I've also downsized in other areas of my life(books, DVDs, CDs, electronic equipment, sporting goods etc.) which has been liberating as well. Less stuff to have to worry about and it's fun to turn things that you no longer want into a bit of cash.

Reaction score
2014? Meaning you got rid of your saga legends figures too? But you loved those figures. I'm surprised. I think you were at like 10 figures or something back then.

Reaction score
Yep. I got tired of having boxes and boxes of stuff that I knew I wasn't ever going to be able(or want) to display. A smaller collection is much more manageable and enjoyable to me.

I've also downsized in other areas of my life(books, DVDs, CDs, electronic equipment, sporting goods etc.) which has been liberating as well. Less stuff to have to worry about and it's fun to turn things that you no longer want into a bit of cash.
Yeah, I hear that. Me and my wife are always cleaning shop. Getting rid of stuff we don't use or need anymore. We just purchased a new tv with the money from the stuff we sold and we don't miss any of the stuff we got rid of. It's nice.

Thinking of going through some more stuff. I'd rather have an efficient collection than a complete one.

GNT

Reaction score
That's it, I always say what's the point of buying everything if it's just going to go into a box never to be seen? Is it just to say yeah "I got it"? What a total waste of money which could be spent on something else like a holiday or something more deserving. A smaller collection is way better because you can display everything and nothing gets stored away. I did the same, purge half the collection and just stick to the best version of each character. Life is way better having a more focused collection with a goal.

Reaction score
2014? Meaning you got rid of your saga legends figures too? But you loved those figures. I'm surprised. I think you were at like 10 figures or something back then.
Yep, I got rid of everything in 2014. Not necessarily because I hated it all, but I just felt like I needed to. Up to that point, I had been collecting Star Wars toys essentially non-stop for 20 years and I just had to prove to myself that I was in control of the hobby and the hobby wasn't in control of me.

Also, my interest in Star Wars had been on a steady downhill slide since 2008 and was at its lowest ebb in 2014, so I decided to purge it all. If my interest in Star Wars never returned, then it meant that it was time to move on with my life. And that purge was actually a pretty major thing, because it was the first time since 1982 that I didn't own a single Star Wars figure; but that only lasted about a week, because I picked up the 6" Han Solo a few days later. Then the Rebels cartoon came along, in late 2014, and resparked my interest and once Force Friday 2015 rolled around, I was back in full force.

I've since rebought a few items, but for the most part I'm focusing on what's coming up next.

Reaction score
I purge my collection pretty often. I have yet to regret a single sale.

Reaction score
Yeah, I've purged a few times. We've had a few garage sales and I let go of most all of my POTF2 stuff, almost all my Hasbro 12", and anything that I had a better version of. It's very liberating.

Reaction score
My only regret was giving away my POTJ Han bespin. I still like that figure and it didn't go to as good of a home as I thought. So it wasn't about giving it away just that based on how my friend keeps his place is probably indicative of the fate of the figure. Wish I gave it away to my friends 5yo instead.

Reaction score
Vader looks great. I'm going to pick one up for sure, along with the new Stormtrooper!

I believe Vader never had RED lenses, it only appeared that way on screen. I found that out recently on the rpf!

Reaction score
Vader looks great. I'm going to pick one up for sure, along with the new Stormtrooper!

I believe Vader never had RED lenses, it only appeared that way on screen. I found that out recently on the rpf!

If they weren't actually tinted red, what according to you made them "appear that way on screen" ?

Reaction score
Its just the type of smoked material they used for the lenses, it comes in a variety of colors. The Stormtroopers had a greenish tint to their goggles, TIE pilot was more of a clear transparent, and Vader has a reddish/amber tint.

Reaction score
just received and opened Darth Vader from the Rogue One line... he looks great. pardon the blur in the pics as I was using a camera phone at the time.

- Vader's Force Blast Bazooka ??

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics! Mine should be waiting at the PO for me on the way home. I like this sculpt way better than the mission series. :)

GNT

Reaction score
I think the red appearance is just that in some shots we see through the lenses and maybe its the actors skin that makes them seem red?
It's been a while since I've watched the OT but from what I remember Lucas darkened the lenses on the last DVD/blu Ray release so they really shouldn't make them red for RO. I prefer black lenses so you don't see his eyes.

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've watched the OT but from what I remember Lucas darkened the lenses on the last DVD/blu Ray release so they really shouldn't make them red for RO. I prefer black lenses so you don't see his eyes.
The problem is Lucas darkened everything without discretion. See crushed blacks in star wars. He got rid of all the detail.

Reaction score
All canon/not-cannon aside, I prefer his red lenses (always have) simply because they just look more menacing (IMO).

Also - Vader had red/smoked lens in ANH, so it fits he Gould have them on R1 as well.

Reaction score
I have a nice little collection of Vaders going on. I'd like to see a removable cape for the old TIE Advanced. No hurry at all for it though. May pick it up next year in the clearance bin.

Reaction score
I have a nice little collection of Vaders going on. I'd like to see a removable cape for the old TIE Advanced. No hurry at all for it though. May pick it up next year in the clearance bin.
a good majority of the Vader toys released from Kenner and Hasbro featured Removable capes. the Rogue One Vader's cape is removable. If you are looking for a great super articulated removable cape Vader then I'd suggest the 3 part helmet Legacy Vader figure.

Reaction score
So his tunic goes over the shoulder armor ala A New Hope but the marketing photos of Rogue One Vader on playing cards and such shows his armor is on top ala ESB & RoTJ. Curious to see what's in the movie. Maybe both!

Reaction score
Well, that's a surprise! Just seen Adam Pawlus review of this figure and he revealed that he has 6 POA, there is a swivel waist, which is pretty cool and a nice throwback to the POTF2 days.

Reaction score
Just won this guy on eBay, $6.50 total. Can't complain about that price. I'm going to remove the somewhat glossy finish on his robes and give him some alternate arms like the otc dagobah Luke. Alternate arms will include commtech and motds arms.

Reaction score
Got my Vader in the mail and I gotta say, superb figure. Great ANH headsculpt. Widows peak in the helmet and everything. Love the robes. The chest box is well painted but the robes on his chest should be flat not glossy and the chest armor shouldn't have silver on it for ANH. I think it was black and off black in anh and esb. Silver was introduced in rotj. But if you want a simple Vader with a beautiful sculpt I highly recommend this one over the last 5poa Vader. Those plastic capes give the figure a great silhouette.

Reaction score
There was silver on the chest armor in New Hope. Chest armor had a dull rusty type look to it while in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi the chest armor was all nice and shiny

Reaction score
I just looked at the reference photos and you're right. The silver was there but it was so dull it was almost more of a grey. I wonder if I boil him if enough of the gloss will come off. He's too shiny to be an anh Vader.

Reaction score
For anyone who was curious, this Vader has a solid "soft" plastic chest. Same material limbs are made out of. Makes for a very easy boil and pop.

Reaction score
I just looked at the reference photos and you're right. The silver was there but it was so dull it was almost more of a grey. I wonder if I boil him if enough of the gloss will come off. He's too shiny to be an anh Vader.
In cases like this, I spray Testors dullcoat into a small container and use a paintbrush to paint the dullcoat over the shiny areas. When it dries, it gives you the desired dull look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk