Darth Vader

GNT

Reaction score
Here's the new Rogue One Darth Vader:

Thoughts on this figure? Who's going to be picking this one up?

Reaction score
Yep, I'll buy it. I'm hoping he's the proper height when compared to the new Stormtrooper.

This will be the first realistically-styled plastic caped Vader we've had in a while. I used to prefer cloth capes, but that was before Hasbro spent over a decade skimping on the choice of fabric and making Vader look like he's draped in sheer pantyhose.

Reaction score
Yup, I'm for one of these! A date with destiny battling Obi-Wan in my Kenner Death Star playset awaits this dude.

Reaction score
It's a nice looking sculpt. I'm sure I'll scoop him up. :)

I can't believe Hasbro made a new sculpt of him. I hope they didn't hurt themselves. ;)

Reaction score
I'm glad the Fpoa are finally getting decently made robes for them instead of just molding them as legs.

Reaction score
Yes definitely getting this. So cool to see a carded new Vader for a new movie.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 edge

Reaction score
Doesn't make much difference to me, but wasn't something made of the fact that R1 Vader would wear the tunic over the armor, and have the red lenses like in ANH?

Reaction score
the tunic is over the armour, like his ANH costume.
Yes, that's why I said.
the tunic over the armor, and have the red lenses like in ANH?
Supposedly in R1 he will have the tunic over the armor, and have the red lenses.
So just wondering how R1 specific this is?
Maybe it's just one scene though, hence the more standard figure. Which is fine by me.

Reaction score
Yes, that's why I said.

Supposedly in R1 he will have the tunic over the armor, and have the red lenses.
So just wondering how R1 specific this is?
Maybe it's just one scene though, hence the more standard figure. Which is fine by me.
maybe it's only me, but I don't seem to be able to understand half of your posts. What does that mean^^. The figure does have the armour over the tunic, and I would expect him to look like that in the film too, just like in ANH. So this probably is RO accurate. What is one scene?

Reaction score
His 2 pop figures from R1 have the armor over the tunic. A new hope is my least favorite Vader suit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Can anyone spot any noticeable differences between ROTS and ANH versions?

Reaction score
The onscreen armor or the toys? If you are talking about the onscreen character, then the differences are easy to spot (symmetrical helmet on the ROTS version, scrawny Hayden Christensen frame instead of David Prowse's bodybuilder frame, etc.). If you're asking about the figures, then it really just depends on which specific figures you are talking about.

Reaction score
Between costumes? Tons. ROTS doesn't really look like Vader to me. Helmet is completely different. Chest armor is attached at the shoulders to fake the look of a large Vader. All other Vader armors had separate shoulder pieces. Tunic went over the chest armor. No silver present in the armor. Red lenses. Dirty non glossy helmet. Were the ROTS gloves the same as empire and Jedi?

No Vader suit was identical movie to movie. ESB is still my favorite design.

This looks like a good ANH Vader. He might replace my death star clash/commtech hybrid figure.

Reaction score
Between costumes? Tons. ROTS doesn't really look like Vader to me. Helmet is completely different. Chest armor is attached at the shoulders to fake the look of a large Vader. All other Vader armors had separate shoulder pieces. Tunic went over the chest armor. No silver present in the armor. Red lenses. Dirty non glossy helmet. Were the ROTS gloves the same as empire and Jedi?

No Vader suit was identical movie to movie. ESB is still my favorite design.

This looks like a good ANH Vader. He might replace my death star clash/commtech hybrid figure.
Yeah, the ROTS Darth Vader is like the Ep1 puppet Yoda - Lucas' attempt to improve upon an iconic design that ends up being worse in every way.

I love the ANH armor because it's the original, classic design, however, I agree that the ESB armor is my favorite.

Many of the differences are things that people need to train their eyes to see; but, just like differences between the ANH/ESB Stormtroopers and the ROTJ Stormtroopers, once you learn to see them you can never unsee them. So, I understand how some people would rather live in blissful ignorance and continue to be under the impression that these characters remained identical from movie to movie.

Reaction score
I'm really digging this. I had no intention of buying any more Vaders, but seeing this guy on the card, new sculpt and all... Man. Took me right back to being 5 years old again. Easy buy for sure. I can't wait.

Reaction score
Yeah, the ROTS Darth Vader is like the Ep1 puppet Yoda - Lucas' attempt to improve upon an iconic design that ends up being worse in every way.

I love the ANH armor because it's the original, classic design, however, I agree that the ESB armor is my favorite.

Many of the differences are things that people need to train their eyes to see; but, just like differences between the ANH/ESB Stormtroopers and the ROTJ Stormtroopers, once you learn to see them you can never unsee them. So, I understand how some people would rather live in blissful ignorance and continue to be under the impression that these characters remained identical from movie to movie.
They had a great iconic design for ANH and ESB was the natural evolution/improvement on that design. Then they tweaked it again in Jedi just because they could. They should have stopped at empire. Same with the voice. It sounds better in empire. They made Vader too sad in Jedi.

By the time ROTS came around it was a given it would be tweaked again. I really don't get why they thought it would be a good idea to completely change our "first look" at the costume.

Reaction score
Other than the panel being a little too low, I'm all about vader's ANH look. The robes over the chest piece add a lot of elegance (always loved that shot of him standing at attention without his cape in the SW storybook), the horizontal stitching on the gloves contrasts well with the vertical stitching on his suit and the top of the helmet sits a little lower making him look more menacing (the matte finish probably has a lot to do with this as well).
Plus it harkens back to Mcquarrie's original intent with vader's suit with it simply being distinct looking space flight gear and none of that nonsense of him being this clunky, space frankenstein cyborg reliant on a suit for survival.
His ESB look is ace as well but his original look will always be my favorite.

Reaction score
One thing I think is crucial for an accurate Vader face is the dark silver highlights. It doesn't matter how well you sculpt the helmet, if the face is solid black it will never look right. The real Vader actually had more silver on his face than he did black.

Reaction score
One thing I think is crucial for an accurate Vader face is the dark silver highlights. It doesn't matter how well you sculpt the helmet, if the face is solid black it will never look right. The real Vader actually had more silver on his face than he did black.
Was it silver? I thought it was more of a dark grey-black. I know what you mean though. I'm fine with them skipping that detail on a toy. That was done purely to create depth when filming. The helmet is supposed to be black.

Reaction score
That gap by his neck is odd. Hopefully it just means that someone has poor photoshop skills.

Reaction score

Also no red in the lenses.
Although at this scale that's not at all to surprising, painting them would look weird, and they are not adding clear plastic for this minor detail. ;)

Reaction score

Also no red in the lenses.
Although at this scale that's not at all to surprising, painting them would look weird, and they are not adding clear plastic for this minor detail. ;)
They have done red lenses....many times. It didn't look weird at all. It looked great actually. Still one of the best Vader head sculpts ever sported the red lenses.

GNT

Reaction score
That head totally reminds me of the original vintage Darth Vader head sculpt. I'm not so fussed if they do red lenses for this release, I prefer the black lenses in the movies so you can't see his eyes.

Reaction score
That gap by his neck is odd. Hopefully it just means that someone has poor photoshop skills.
Yeah, zooming in on that photo, it looks like the head was photoshopped in separated at a weird angle. Hasbro does the strangest things.

Reaction score
Also, just an observation-- they seem to have given his legs movement independent of the plastic skirt. That alone makes it better than many of the 5POA figures with plastic skirt pieces or robes. I like it.

Reaction score
Also, just an observation-- they seem to have given his legs movement independent of the plastic skirt. That alone makes it better than many of the 5POA figures with plastic skirt pieces or robes. I like it.

Yeah, it reminds me of the old master of the dark side mold. I'm glad they are going back to the seperate skirt. I never have Vader sit anyway.

Reaction score
This figure actually looks really nice! What's even better is we finally get Vader's giant red silly string launcher!