Darth Vader with Probe Droid

Reaction score
We'll said. I can't put my finger on why exactly but there is a persistent perspective that hasbro has that the OT as less viable than new media. I guess it has a lot to do with their current investments in the new media. But time and time again I think people know the quality of the OR is unbeatable.

Reaction score
Vader looks beautiful. A surprise hit.
I agree, just opened this set and both figures turned out rather nicely. Its great to have a definitive Probe Droid - the articulation is actually rather useful in this case. The Vader is a solid figure - love the plastic cape and the lower skirt with slits. Just when I thought I'd never need / want another Vader - this one is a nice addition.

Reaction score
They are 19.98 at Walmart. If they were 30 bucks ,its doubtful this set would get the love it does no matter how good the Probe Droid is. ...........and good it is...lol
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the price, but I had to have the Probot.

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with the Probe Droid's missile? Mine wants to keep popping out and shooting across the room.

Reaction score
I'll grant you this: I think Hasbro BELIEVED that was the case, but that had more to do with their bad choices and perceptions than a loss of interest in OT product. I mean, how many years have to pass (since the OT was in theaters) for people to realize that it is the single most popular franchise in collecting history, and still frequently sells out compared to newer film counterparts? Look at the 40th anniversary line of Black Series, and the recent re-release of the black collection Ponda Baba, ERG, Lando, and Ackbar. I'd go so far as to say it is the OT merchandise that prompts a bit more selling of Finns and Jyns than would have sold otherwise. The return of TVC is largely due to the recent OT product.

So, in Hasbro's mind, we have the new films to thank, but it isn't necessarily the reality of the situation (and the current mindset there seems to be shifting based on the interviews from SDCC).
Again, I'm not sure about this. How many collectors of the OT toys are there out there these days?! Those of us on this board are the obvious ones, but at this point I'm in my late 40's, and have been collecting since the Vintage days (late '70's - '80's). And, I've been collecting the modern line since it began in '95. I also consider myself somewhat unusual - i.e., I think most people who were kids in the OT days have probably gotten out of the hobby due to family and/or other financial reasons, etc. And, in my case, I've also definitely "slowed down" re: collecting in the past several years.

My impression is that the kids growing up now are more into the newer ST films/Rouge One than they are the OT toys, but there is also definitely some cross-over there re: the Stormtroopers in Rouge One, etc.

I still attest that if it weren't for the ST & spin-off films, we wouldn't be seeing many - if any - new OT toys.

Reaction score
Does anyone else have a problem with the Probe Droid's missile? Mine wants to keep popping out and shooting across the room.
Yep. The missile is slightly bent which causes the firing mechanism to fire it almost straight away. I've been considering cutting it and glueing it in place.

Reaction score
Floating through the Alderaan debris field
Might have to resort to glue then. Thanks for the quick response!
If it is bent, you could try just letting it sit in hot water (I use a coffee mug full of water microwaved for 90sec) for a minute then try bending the missile back a little to tighten the grip at the release point. Just a thought if you want to keep the missile feature

Reaction score
Didn't we just get a new Tauntaun and Dewback a few years ago? Surely those are worthy of a repack, because it's very doubtful new ones are in the parking lot.
Nor should they be IMO. I'd rather a new creature get made.

Reaction score
When was the last time they released the bantha? I still have my potf2 bantha....definitely one of Hasbro's better offerings ever. Nailed it right out of the gate.

Reaction score
When was the last time they released the bantha? I still have my potf2 bantha....definitely one of Hasbro's better offerings ever. Nailed it right out of the gate.
I think it's been around ten years, I can't remember if it was the TAC line or Legacy when they last released a bantha. Would make for a great TVC boxed release.

Reaction score
It was TAC but the fur on that one is all permed and doesn't look very good. The POTF2 version still holds up excellent.

Reaction score
Didn't we just get a new Tauntaun and Dewback a few years ago? Surely those are worthy of a repack, because it's very doubtful new ones are in the parking lot.
Nor should they be IMO. I'd rather a new creature get made.
Yes, those were both expertly done - we don't need new versions. I'm with you - I want unmade beasts in future assortments, and I'd like them to cover ground outside the OT / PT - I'd like CW, Rebels, and the new movies to get some attention.

Reaction score
After seeing this set locally for 37.99 euros and even 42.99 euros in a toy store, I finally have been able to find it for 29.90 in the freshly installed Christmas toys aisle of a bigger supermarket. I even got 5 euros off using a previous coupon, so it's still expensive but not that bad.

It seems to be short packed, each stores had only 1 of it with 3 or 4 Rathtar sets.

Reaction score
Yeah the case ration is 1 Probe Droid and 3 Rathtars. It'll be interesting to see how many of those sell through over the holidays.

Reaction score
Up in Canada where this is a Canadian Tire exclusive... all SW toys are on 50% off clearance. I grabbed this set for C$14.99 today.

Reaction score
Sorry bad copy paste from the previous post I replied to. It is not an exclusive at CT, but their SW toys are all on clearance. :)

Reaction score
Up in Canada where this is a Canadian Tire exclusive... all SW toys are on 50% off clearance. I grabbed this set for C$14.99 today.
That's a good deal! If I find another set on sale I'll get it, just to have a second probe droid to display with my 6" figures. Though it sold-out very quiclky here, when the Rathtars set can still be found everywhere in great numbers due to Hasbro short packing the Vader/probe set... and also most likely due to people not caring a lot about more TFA toys.

Reaction score
Same, there were a ton of Rathtars at the Wal-mart I went to. Surely they'll mark them down further, then I'll get three.

Reaction score
Yep, I just got this for $9 at Wal-Mart too! Pretty nice as I've been waiting for it to go down.

Reaction score
Yeah, Walmart is selling them for $9 and the BS AT-ST's for 30.00 so I bought the last two AT-ST's and one probe droid set.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone's heads up on here,I picked up the probe droid for nine dollars at Walmart. I really appreciate it;it's a pretty sweet looking droid. I have an old modern one but like everyone says this lasting jedi one is awesome

Reaction score
Just got mine, Its a neat toy, but right out of the package at least 2 legs have stress fractures. Who knows how long it will last after the kid plays with it.

Hope the price goes down since its not a $20 toy.

Reaction score
Just got mine, Its a neat toy, but right out of the package at least 2 legs have stress fractures. Who knows how long it will last after the kid plays with it.

Hope the price goes down since its not a $20 toy.
The antenna on mine were both stress bent out of the box as well. :-/

Reaction score
Yeah, Walmart is selling them for $9 and the BS AT-ST's for 30.00 so I bought the last two AT-ST's and one probe droid set.
Dang! AT-STs are still $79.97 CDN up here. :( The Vader is $35 as someone else mentioned. Might be $30 at Walmart, but still, it's crazy what we have to pay up here.

Reaction score
Just got this lone set from a sea of rathars for $10 at Walmart. Does anyone have problems with their vader standing up?

Reaction score
Is this TFA Vader the same as the one that comes with the new probe droid?

Reaction score
Dang! AT-STs are still $79.97 CDN up here. :( The Vader is $35 as someone else mentioned. Might be $30 at Walmart, but still, it's crazy what we have to pay up here.
Yeah, Rathtar and Vader sets are $30 at Walmart and $35 at TRU. What do you think TVC will cost once they hit shelves here in Canada?

Reaction score
My son just did his first video review and chose this set. He is only 13 and this was a test he hopes to do more. at the end of the video he shot a vintage style commercial give it a look see just remember he is only 13. and he is still learning how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL3crJ0H0u4

Nicely done! My one suggestion would be use a flat surface for the review portion, but I really dig that he did it outside. The retro commercial was a nice touch too. That could be his signature move for future reviews.

Reaction score
Got this set on closeout at Kroger! Really nice set! The probe droid is perfect. Wonderful sculpt, scaling, paint, and articulation really make this stand out! And the Vader is probably my favorite 3.75” ESB Vader sculpt we’ve gotten. And it’s kinda funny, because just a few weeks ago I broke my Rogue One Vader and wanted a replacement 5POA Vader. And despite this being a different version, I’m fine. I have TVC93 and TAC16, so I’m good on that Vader design. Really happy to get this set, and the waiting game paid off!