Darth Vader with Probe Droid

Reaction score
I'll admit it's tough to find, but not impossible. But I can't help but think someone at Hasbro is thinking, "Hey, kids like aliens, but not robots....they're evil and will take over the world like in Terminator." :p

Reaction score
I took delivery of this set today, and I must say it seems to me that Hasbro is bringing their "A" game back to the 3.75" scale line!

The Darth Vader figure is probably THE most detailed sculpt we've had from Hasbro up till now. It's too bad it is not SA with soft goods robes and cape.

Despite the impressive detail on this figure, he does not seem to stand very well on his own.

But... The real "winner, winner, chicken dinner" here is the Probe Droid aka "The Probot".

Prior to this release, at no time at all was I ever feeling that there was a need to improve upon the Probe Droid sculpt we go from Hasbro back in '97 as a "Deluxe" figure (which was then recycled and re-painted for the Legacy line). But this new release really shows how lacking that earlier design really was:

This thing is sublime. A work of art both in terms of sculpt AND paint application.

First off: The overall stance of this thing is just, in a word, wicked. It is a dead ringer for the creepy Imperial Probe that hunted our heroes on HOTH.

And I gotta say, I really, really dig the clear display stand with the Imperial Logo base!!

Secondly, there was clearly much more careful attention paid to the droid's anatomical proportions this time. The head is properly oversized and insect-like, unlike the '97 offering which had a pretty meager noggin.

I really love how the sculpt even accurately represents the separate metallic plates that line the head.

Thirdly, the paint and deco are spot on , this time! The flat black coloring with gloss black details and silver highlights resemble the movie prop SO much better than the grey droid we got in '97, or the shockingly silver one we got during the Legacy line.

Fourth, it is the insane articulation of this bugger's ARMS as another one of the features that really blows me away! Nice STURDY arms for clean posing! Not only does it have ball-joint articulations at the "shoulder' socket (where the arms meets the body)...

... but some of these arms ALSO have "elbow" articulation...

... and even WRIST articulation on a couple of the arms!

Our friends at Hasbro even saw fit to equip this droid with a pair of transmission antenna that raise and lower!!!

Do yourself a favor: If you have the means, i HIGHLY recommend getting one of these probe droids. They are so choice! :grin:
Thank you so much for this in depth review DARKLORD1967! I had planned on picking this set up anyway, but your review just moved it to the top of my list. Thanks for breaking down the articulation and thanks for the awesome pics.

Reaction score
Good review, DARKLORD1967 - Thanks for posting the pics. as well. I am now more tempted to get this, only for the Probe Droid (don't need the Vader) - it's an amazing figure, and definitely more screen-accurate than the '97 POTF2 version (which is still a great toy).

As I mentioned earlier, this set would have been a no-brainer for me if it had included a Snowtrooper instead of Vader, due to the fact that the Snowtrooper is my favorite OT Imperial Trooper & also obviously because of the troop builder aspect.

Not needing the Vader is what makes me on the fence about getting this, since I would only be buying this for the Probe Droid.

Reaction score
After reading that review, i went hunting for this set today. Thankfully i found one on my first stop. Haven't got it open yet, but Darklord 1967's pics and thoughts certainly have me pretty stoked to have gotten it.

Reaction score
Love the set! Sculpts are great! The damn force link thing sucks though. My Vader doesn't link up. The probe droid sounds never get old though. I also got the Rathtar set and it is also cool except the Damn force link thing sucks even worse. My Rathtar has a Perrine droid chip in it and makes probe droid sounds. Terrible gimmick, but when I buy the toy, I elect it to work. Disappointed with the Farce Stink crap!!!

Reaction score
Terrible gimmick, but when I buy the toy, I elect it to work. Disappointed with the Farce Stink crap!!!
According to the recent Q&A posted at TheForceGuide, Hasbro heard the complaints about the Nerf darts "loud and clear" and has since decided to focus on Force Link as their latest gimmick, at least for now. So, if it's a choice between dumb microchips that don't even work properly or giant Nerf guns being crammed into every vehicle toy, then I think I prefer the microchips. At least you can pretend they aren't even there, which is what I've been doing.

Those Force Link chip readers will probably be hitting clearance in less than a year, so I'll probably pick one up when they drop to around $5 or less. That is, if I still care enough to have even the slightest bit of curiosity as to what kinds of sounds these toys make. As it is, it just feels like Commtech 2.0 so whatever interest I might have had in Force Link has already faded to almost zero.

Reaction score
According to the recent Q&A posted at TheForceGuide, Hasbro heard the complaints about the Nerf darts "loud and clear" and has since decided to focus on Force Link as their latest gimmick, at least for now. So, if it's a choice between dumb microchips that don't even work properly or giant Nerf guns being crammed into every vehicle toy, then I think I prefer the microchips. At least you can pretend they aren't even there, which is what I've been doing.

Those Force Link chip readers will probably be hitting clearance in less than a year, so I'll probably pick one up when they drop to around $5 or less. That is, if I still care enough to have even the slightest bit of curiosity as to what kinds of sounds these toys make. As it is, it just feels like Commtech 2.0 so whatever interest I might have had in Force Link has already faded to almost zero.
I agree with everything in this post so much, that I felt it really needed to be posted a second time.

Reaction score
The great thing about the "dumb microchips" is that they are passive. The toy is not compromised by the inclusion of force link features. This is vastly different from the nerf features.

Reaction score
Agreed^ The Nerf thing was so invasive that it stood out. The Farce Link at least goes unnoticed, other than the price hike?

I do wonder, with all teh complaints about mixed/incorrect dialog. How widespread is the issue, and will it be addressed?

Reaction score
The price is going to go up no matter what. That's just business. The gimmicks justify it.

Reaction score
It's a better gimmick than baw...
I think that could be argued, because at least the BAW gimmick filled out the figure's bubble a little better and made it appear that you were at least getting more plastic for your money. Even though all of those extra parts just got thrown out with the packaging for me, I'm sure some kids somewhere appreciated a few extra accessories no matter how silly or cartoonish they might look.

Reaction score
Anything to do with packaging or card art is lost on me, as nice as it looks it's still garbage. In order for a Gimmick to work for me, it has to be physically useful such as BAD. Everything else they have done has wound up in the refuse container.

Reaction score
Rots figures almost had a good idea....figure stands that interconnect....the problem was they didn't expand into anything interesting.

But yes, BAD still remains the best of the bunch.

The only way I can see them topping it is either build a trooper (build an army builder style trooper) or build a diorama section similar to the recent ghostbusters figures where you build the rooftop.

Reaction score
BAD was probably my favorite, with the OG Saga Legends stands a close second. That being said, Force Link adds a lot of playability. The major drawback to the BAD concept was you'd have to buy figures you didn't want to complete a specific droid.

Reaction score
Picked up this set yesterday. Fantastic toy(s)! The sculpt on the Probe Droid is superb, and I like the Vader as well. I'm actually surprised that I like the Vader as much as I do (considering there have been umpteen versions of this figure already), but it's a well-done figure.

It's nice that even though the OT films were released 40, 37, and 34 years ago (respectively), Hasbro is still coming out with new toys based on these iconic films. Granted, this was part of TLJ line & probably wouldn't have come out on it's own, but it's still nice to see.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
It's nice that even though the OT films were released 40, 37, and 34 years ago (respectively), Hasbro is still coming out with new toys based on these iconic films. Granted, this was part of TLJ line & probably wouldn't have come out on it's own, but it's still nice to see.
I feel otherwise; I think OT product is perpetual regardless of current film, due to we 40- and 30-something collectors. Hasbro doesn't always get that though, and thinks they need a new film to push older concepts... and why there are Rathtars everywhere but almost no Probe Droids to be found.

Reaction score
Aren't the Rathtars 3:1 in the case ratios? That's the reason we're likely seeing more - and because Hasbro knows the demand for a TFA creature will likely be higher - with not just collectors, but kids. This new probe droid is cool, but the Rathtar is far more exciting for me.

Reaction score
my friend here found it today... for $47.00... Pass... I'll order it online...

Reaction score
Where are you? Venezuela?
LOk. South africa presently, at times Europe.

But up until now, prices were equal to the exchange rate to what the USA pays for these figures... Unfortunately our Hasbro distributor appears to have become a greedy pig.

Reaction score
I feel otherwise; I think OT product is perpetual regardless of current film, due to we 40- and 30-something collectors. Hasbro doesn't always get that though, and thinks they need a new film to push older concepts... and why there are Rathtars everywhere but almost no Probe Droids to be found.
Possible. But, here's a thought: Back in early Fall 2012, new SW figures/toys in general were winding down. The last TVC wave (at that time) was online only, and I don't know if new figures were on the horizon at that point. And, TVC that had come out in the year prior were extremely HTF. However, in October 2012, Lflm. announced they were being sold to Disney, and at the same time the ST was announced. So, after that we got TBS 3.75" figures, TBS 6" figures, etc. I strongly believe that the SW toys got a resurgence in popularity due to the announcement of the new films.

I.e., I wonder if there were no new films these days, would OT toys still be coming out?! Maybe. But, I think this great new Probe Droid had a better chance of coming out as "part of" TLJ line that it would have without it. Just my .02.

Reaction score
I remember when the PT was the movie focus, we still got plenty of OT stuff during that time. Of course I think it was in reaction to poor TPM sales, and Hasbro thinking it wasn't strong nought to carry the line. So the started filtering in OT releases, and they increasingly became more pronounced than PT selections. IMO

Reaction score
The new films are why the OT items are being released, so we should be thankful for that. Before Disney bought the franchise, it likely would have been lights out for the line, or at least a hiatus until another significant project came along. Were it not for the new movies, I imagine we'd only have a Rebels / Legends line for a couple years at best. They've released the bulk of viable OT and PT characters already, and resculpts of existing characters will only get you so far, surely not enough to support an entire line.

Reaction score
The new films are why the OT items are being released, so we should be thankful for that. Before Disney bought the franchise, it likely would have been lights out for the line, or at least a hiatus until another significant project came along. Were it not for the new movies, I imagine we'd only have a Rebels / Legends line for a couple years at best. They've released the bulk of viable OT and PT characters already, and resculpts of existing characters will only get you so far, surely not enough to support an entire line.
Agree completely with this.

Reaction score
My point was that they went too fast too soon with a lot of them. In a time when it should have been PT focused, it felt too OT heavy for me. Now look, nothing to fill the gaps! And they're too shy to go too deep on character coverage with the new movies the way they did with the OT.

Yet they still haven't released a new farmboy Luke. I'm looking forward to a new head sculpt...
A new head sculpt is the last thing that figure needs, the legs are what's deficient. IMO, there were two very nice head sculpt released for the body with decent likeness. But I really want new legs that don't make him look so anorexic, and to ditch those BH hips!

Reaction score
A new head sculpt is the last thing that figure needs, the legs are what's deficient. IMO, there were two very nice head sculpt released for the body with decent likeness. But I really want new legs that don't make him look so anorexic, and to ditch those BH hips!
I feel like they can improve on the resurgence and death star escape heads personally. I'm assuming those are the two you are referring to. They aren't bad heads, I'm currently using the death star escape head personally but it has room for improvement. I'm in the minority but I really like the saga legends 5poa heads on X-wing and stormtrooper Luke. Awful paint but great likeness. I've seen the SL Luke stormtrooper head repainted and it's amazing.

If you want to ditch the scrawny legs on the resurgence sculpt Luke I have a pretty easy solution. Commtech T-16 sculpt lower body. They are hinge style knees and no ankles but it's a way to get knee joints and have legs appropriately proportioned. The cool thing is you can take the whole lower body skirt and all and waist size is dead on. Looks seamless. I used the 06 release on the death star escape and the whites even match perfectly. All you have to do is dremel off the nub of the hip joint, bore out the torso a bit and you're done.

Reaction score
i love this darth maul with probe droid. i bought it only for only the probe droid but the vader is really terrific

Reaction score
Finally picked this set up this morning at Walmart. How much are these supposed to be? The shelf tag said $29.98 but it rang up at $19.98.

Reaction score
Finally picked this set up this morning at Walmart. How much are these supposed to be? The shelf tag said $29.98 but it rang up at $19.98.
They are 19.98 at Walmart. If they were 30 bucks ,its doubtful this set would get the love it does no matter how good the Probe Droid is. ...........and good it is...lol

Reaction score
Yeah, I thought that $29.98 price tag seemed a little steep. I guess they just had them in the wrong spot.

Daigo_Bah

Reaction score
The new films are why the OT items are being released, so we should be thankful for that. They've released the bulk of viable OT and PT characters already, and resculpts of existing characters will only get you so far, surely not enough to support an entire line.
I'll grant you this: I think Hasbro BELIEVED that was the case, but that had more to do with their bad choices and perceptions than a loss of interest in OT product. I mean, how many years have to pass (since the OT was in theaters) for people to realize that it is the single most popular franchise in collecting history, and still frequently sells out compared to newer film counterparts? Look at the 40th anniversary line of Black Series, and the recent re-release of the black collection Ponda Baba, ERG, Lando, and Ackbar. I'd go so far as to say it is the OT merchandise that prompts a bit more selling of Finns and Jyns than would have sold otherwise. The return of TVC is largely due to the recent OT product.

So, in Hasbro's mind, we have the new films to thank, but it isn't necessarily the reality of the situation (and the current mindset there seems to be shifting based on the interviews from SDCC).