Darth Vader - ROTJ (40th Anniversary)

GNT

Reaction score
Hasbro have just revealed a Darth Vader figure for the Black Series toy line. The movie image used was the removable helmet scene from the end scene of ROTJ and will be in the 3rd wave of the 40th Anniversary figures.

No pictures If the toy just yet.

1664659027777.jpeg

Reaction score
You're right. :)

Excited for whatever improvements they make for this.

I’m curious too. After the really good ESB version the only things that would get me to buy a new TBS Vader over the upcoming figuarts release would be an alternate SWAPPABLE unmasked head, metal chain on the cape, and new pinless joints but knowing Hasbro when they say newly improved they usually seem to mean slight paint improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I’m curious too. After the really good ESB version the only things that would get me to buy a new TBS Vader over the upcoming figuarts release would be an alternate SWAPPABLE unmasked head, metal chain on the cape, and new pinless joints but knowing Hasbro when they say newly improved they usually seem to mean slight paint improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the initial release of it and it could do with a face print tech update. Other than that, mine is lying down, as he did in ROTJ, so in that regard it does not make much sense besides it looks way better.
But as you say yourself, they probably stick to updating the deco/paint applications.

Reaction score
This is an opportunity for Hasbro to flex if they want to, and show what they can really do.

I have the SHF Vader, and it's not the slam dunk I was hoping it would be. It's a traffic cone from the waist down, the cape was horrible, and the arm articulation is finicky and frustrating.

If Hasbro can really nail the sculpt and paint, they'd have the advantage of producing a much more sturdy TOY, whereas the SHF feels more like a fragile model kit to me.

The perfect ROTJ Vader needs the removable/swappable helmet gimmick, preferably in two parts, but it also needs the removable damaged right hand and a place to hang the saber. The ROTJ Hasbro figure never had those features.

IF Hasbro can do all of that, they'd have a winner and would be one of those figures like Dooku that obliterates the competition. Even with deluxe pricing, it'll be cheaper than imports. I'd double (triple? quadruple?) dip for the perfect ROTJ Vader for sure.

Reaction score
This is an opportunity for Hasbro to flex if they want to, and show what they can really do.

I have the SHF Vader, and it's not the slam dunk I was hoping it would be. It's a traffic cone from the waist down, the cape was horrible, and the arm articulation is finicky and frustrating.

If Hasbro can really nail the sculpt and paint, they'd have the advantage of producing a much more sturdy TOY, whereas the SHF feels more like a fragile model kit to me.

The perfect ROTJ Vader needs the removable/swappable helmet gimmick, preferably in two parts, but it also needs the removable damaged right hand and a place to hang the saber. The ROTJ Hasbro figure never had those features.

IF Hasbro can do all of that, they'd have a winner and would be one of those figures like Dooku that obliterates the competition. Even with deluxe pricing, it'll be cheaper than imports. I'd double (triple? quadruple?) dip for the perfect ROTJ Vader for sure.
They could do it if they wanted to. The ESB Vader would be near perfect if he had extra hands, a removable dome, and a better cape.

Reaction score
Said it before but I'll be happy to pay deluxe prices for a definitive RotJ Vader. ESB Vader is as good as it needs to be, ANH Vader is ok minus butterfly joints. If they nail this they can just keep rereleasing it so hope they go big.

Reaction score
In general, I don't like getting multiples of the same character, and I think that ESB Vader is nigh on perfect, save for the direction of his right wrist articulation.

But the two exceptions to that rule seem to be Luke and Vader.

I'm in for every possible variation of those two characters.

So bring on RotJ Vader, I guess.

I'm hoping they go the swappable head route rather than repeat the mistakes of the original release.

And I also agree with others that this release needs a swappable forearm with the missing hand and exposed mechanics. Maskless Vader just can't be accurate when he still has a right hand.

It'll be interesting to see if they reuse the ESB legs, or finally go to the single knee joints with him. I'd expect the torso to be reuse as I literally don't see how you'd meaningfully improve on the ESB version for this release.

Reaction score
I'm prepared to see a deluxe vader with the following:

1) Removable 2 piece helmet
2) Alternative "sith lightening" helmet
3) missing hand w/ exposed wires