Darth Vader - Prototype Edition

Reaction score
I was curious, where did the Aug 2nd date come from? In other words where and how was it announced this figure would be available in stores. I know it was on Yakface.com. When I did the chat on Target.com I gave to guy the DCPI and he was completely clueless about it. A buddy of mine said it was on the order page for the Vader but I can’t find where it said it.
I/Yakface posted the Aug 2 based on Target's corporate blog

Reaction score
Just a theory, but I think the August 2nd date corresponds with the resets that many of us are seeing across the country. Sadly, because Target did not put limits on online sales of SDCC Vaders, a handful of scalpers bought most of the stock shipped to corporate and as a result very few are making it to the b&m stores for the reset. If you check target.com and search for stores in your area, most are listed as "not sold at this store," and the handful of stores that were scheduled to receive them are listed as "out of stock."

Reaction score
Just a theory, but I think the August 2nd date corresponds with the resets that many of us are seeing across the country. Sadly, because Target did not put limits on online sales of SDCC Vaders, a handful of scalpers bought most of the stock shipped to corporate and as a result very few are making it to the b&m stores for the reset. If you check target.com and search for stores in your area, most are listed as "not sold at this store," and the handful of stores that were scheduled to receive them are listed as "out of stock."
eBay should be flooded with these at more competitive prices then. We're talking thousands of these that were suppose to be sold at the b&m locations.

Reaction score
now the website doesn't show the price at all and says "sold out"

i mostly just collect vintage so i'm not used to this stuff as it's happening, wild stuff lol

Reaction score
I’m all about the new Retro, but this Vader looks like a bad custom. Was Hasbro too cheap to have the capes cut out of different colors? The white background doesn’t look right next to the color shift chrome, and even the comic-looking Vader graphic looks poorly positioned to me. They ought to have used Comic Sans for the special edition sticker, it would have been just as bad.

If you you can get your brain to think that you don’t need this, it’s an easy pass.

Reaction score
Nope I just checked the site. It showed the store closest to me out of stock and it still showed the $9.99.
^ I went on a T-run this morning, knowing that I probably wouldn't see it on the pegs. I was right.

But there's no way I'm going to eB this for $40. What a joke. Screw 'em...

Reaction score
I checked my store this morning as well and of course, no Vaders. I did however find an AMAZING set of Bif Bang Pow Toys retro-styled KISS action figures! TOTALLY worth the stop!

Reaction score
was able to win an Ebay auction for 3 different color patterns of Vader for $27.00 shipped :D
Don’t be surprised when you only get 1 of the 3 they showed in the auction. Unfortunately, a lot of sellers show every single figure they have for sale, but the auction itself is only for one figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Don’t be surprised when you only get 1 of the 3 they showed in the auction. Unfortunately, a lot of sellers show every single figure they have for sale, but the auction itself is only for one figure.

nope. already in hand. I was 1/2 expecting something like that to happen but when I opened the box today all 3 were inside.

Reaction score
nope. already in hand. I was 1/2 expecting something like that to happen but when I opened the box today all 3 were inside.
Then there’s only one option left— sell me one for a decent price.

Reaction score
Hopefully with the next Target reset, more of these are coming to the retail stores. Maybe August 2nd was their ETA but there was some delay. I still can't believe before SDCC everyone was saying "I don't want that garbage!" Now that figure is in high demand! At this point, I'd be happy to pay $20 for one of these shipped on eBay. Not giving into the $35 price at the moment. I can wait!

Reaction score
snagged one from this guy. i quickly googled to find his ebay then saw there's like blog posts trying to figure out his deal? is this stuff likely legit?

bought a purple torso, hoping for a blue head but i dunno if that combo exists lol. mostly wanted the blue head but really can't be choosy with this stuff haha

Reaction score
First post ever here, but I really would like to get this figure. Target has screwed this up royally. People were selling whole cases on EBay the other day. How is that even possible? I assume they just bought them right off of a Target employee before they hit the shelf. It is like Hasbro and Target does not care that 3rd party sellers make money off of this.

Reaction score
Nobody ever said these were limited edition huh?
Nope. And they are not 'rare'. Its just that some ... ahem... special people... are buying up every piece they see and selling them at a 400% - 500% markup on eBay.

If you take the time to mine every Target in 100miles for these things, its basically like printing money.

Im just going to wait. Prices will come down, and i may even be able to just pick one up at Target one day.

When craziness like this happens, I cant help but remember how the die-cast 'elite series' general grievous reached $550 a unit at one point right after it was released. Now look at them.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I had a Associate at Target run the DCPI number this morning. Not in stock in any store in her system. So its not here yet for me.

Reaction score
I bought a loose yellow-head, red-torso version from Tung last night; we’ll see how fast he can get it to me...

Reaction score
Online inventory tracking. Add ****inson, Texas to the list.
Let me guess, one can't even talk about Charles ****ens or Emily ****inson w/o being censored, but hey we can talk about Daryl and Merle Dixon. LOL. Oh some threads, still non editable

Reaction score
In a week we will be swimming in them and will wonder what all the hub-bub was all about, until the next new thing to obsess over :D

Reaction score
In a week we will be swimming in them and will wonder what all the hub-bub was all about, until the next new thing to obsess over :D
That was said about the regular Retro figures, and more than half of us never seen them in store.

Reaction score
How are you guys finding inventory information? I searched using Brickseek and a few other places, and I can't tell if the zero inventory is accurate or not. Targets have been known to block people from checking inventory on toys

Reaction score
snagged one from this guy. i quickly googled to find his ebay then saw there's like blog posts trying to figure out his deal? is this stuff likely legit?

bought a purple torso, hoping for a blue head but i dunno if that combo exists lol. mostly wanted the blue head but really can't be choosy with this stuff haha
I don't know what the actual answer is but I've read theories... one is that he's selling production samples and test shots that were never going to be sold. One is that he's just stealing stuff from factories and selling it...

I have no idea, but I tend to lean towards option 1, a few troops I've ordered from him have been way too good to be fakes, but have had weird small differences compared to the ones I bought in stores in the U.S.

Reaction score
How are you guys finding inventory information? I searched using Brickseek and a few other places, and I can't tell if the zero inventory is accurate or not. Targets have been known to block people from checking inventory on toys
I tried that as well, said the closest location was two thousand miles away hahaha! I'm curious if those websites, and even Target's own aren't providing accurate data, and these are on pegs at some stores. Anyone finding them while their local store shows no stock?

Reaction score
This one is not for me but I asked while visiting several locations I am already stopping at for work.

All the same answer, out of stock and no assigned location on the floor. That can be a real problem for their existing system. Stock will likely not be placed out the floor since no one knows where it should go. Even the first Retro wave was assigned to the Father’s Day areas in menswear.

Scalpers come in and buy the entire inventory after specifically requesting the product number. Now there’s twenty on eBay in one sellers auction and Uncle Sam collects the sales tax over and over again before this rainbow Vader winds up in a collection.