Darth Vader - Prototype Edition

Reaction score
I really like this colorful Darth Vader figure but Target sure has made it a pain to acquire easily and in good condition.

I wonder if Hasbro has plans to do other Prototype Retro figures like this Vader, perhaps a Boba Fett?
It seems like such a good one off. But one that has done so well, I can see more down the pipeline definitely.

I think masked figures would work best — BOBA FETT is a strong possibility.

But ARTOO DETOO could be interesting.

Aliens, too, could be cool as well. TUSKIN RAIDER. ADMIRAL AKBAR.

My oddball pick would be PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA (IN COMBAT PONCHO) or (BOUSHH) would be pretty dang interesting. C’mon, Hasbro. Chase girl collectors. AND ME!!! ;).

One from each film could be kinda cool.

Last edited:
Reaction score
One spoken for have 2 more.
Speak now because I leave for Galaxy's Edge this week and can only mail stuff Monday and Tuesday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It seems like such a good one off. But one that has done so well, I can see more down the pipeline definitely.

I think masked figures would work best — BOBA FETT is a strong possibility.

But ARTOO DETOO could be interesting.

Aliens, too, could be cool as well. TUSKIN RAIDER. ADMIRAL AKBAR.

My oddball pick would be PRINCESS LEIA ORGANA (IN COMBAT PONCHO) or (BOUSHH) would be pretty dang interesting. C’mon, Hasbro. Chase girl collectors. AND ME!!! ;).

One from each film could be kinda cool.

Interesting choices.

It will definitely be interesting to see if they do anymore of these Proto figures.

Reaction score
It seems that with the slowed chatter about this figure everyone who (really) wants one, has one? I got my fill with a few good color combos and sent on another to a fellow member.

Reaction score
I’m waiting on delivery from Target. Supposed to be today even though it has been at my local post office since Friday. So I don’t have it yet, but I’m dangerously close.

Reaction score
I mailed out all the spares I had, except the one that is being returned to Target because they shipped it in an envelope again, and card has a slight tear. If they are going to deal in collectibles, they need to learn how to pack them!It kills me that my favorite color combo I have came with a crushed bubble! I opened that one. only Blue head I have gotten out of say 14 of them (i only kept 3, the rest went to fellow scummers) Interestingly I have both green heads now, and the difference is very apparent. The first one was a basic 4 color crayola green, the second is clearly pine green. I guess there are more than 18 variants after all.

Reaction score
Okay, I am now officially DONE with chasing/finding this figure.

I have one carded

— Blue Head, Red Torso, Red Saber

Two loose. Both with orange heads.

— Orange Head, Yellow Torso, Purple Saber
— Orange Head, Blue Torso, Orange Saber

Picked up this last one, as I really wanted an Orange Saber. And the latest is definitely my favorite. The Orange Head pops very nicely against the Turquoise/blue Torso.

PS — Um, yeah... I can see how one can get sucked into wanting more and more and more, but I will now hold fast. *All of my greens are the Crayola Basic.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Orange is my favorite color. :).

One thing about these figures in hand... You really do focus on the mold and sculpt so much more clearly when there is no paint to enhance or otherwise distract. I had always heard this in books about the history of figs and whatnot. But seeing this firsthand has really driven the logic of that home in a way that mere photographs never did for me.

Reaction score
I have a POTF2 prototype vader in smoke black, he is awesome. Protos are awesome.

Reaction score
Mine showed up today. In a box with the big air cushion things. Minty fresh! Got one with a yellow head and one with a blue head. They are freaking gorgeous! Pics versus in person is no comparison. I wanted this, but never thought I would be so caught off guard at how cool they really are. I may try to snag a few more to get some different color heads.

I love the glossy, slick look & feel of the card as well.

Reaction score
Yeah. Their coolness in person really surprised me. Totally exceeded my expectations.

Reaction score
Finally got mine in mail. But curious.... does it comes wrapped in plastic or was that just packing for mailing? I mean it does help with dust issues but didn't know if it originally came like this at the Con.

Reaction score
Got this at my local store in GA last week and picked up a case from Iain Sanderson to display it. One of my new faves for sure!

Reaction score
I have received a total of 8 with only one duplicate. However the duplicate is a dark green vs a light green helmet so it too is different. This is surprising. Target made some good money off me ordering other things to get these 2 at time.

Reaction score
Halfway there. The only problem is I don't have any to trade, and can't seem to find more outside of eBay...

Last edited:
Reaction score
I want to order more and add extra crap into the cart, and although it shows there are some in stock, I can’t get them to go into my cart.

I’ll be happy with the two I got!

Reaction score
You completists need a bonk on the head from Yodas ghost (cane?).

But seriously what’s the logic, why agonize to spend money on something you already have in triplicate unless your committing to some sort of artistic installation?

If I could walk into a store a buy one for retail, I’d purchase. So I guess I’m basically passing on this, I didn’t even really want one anyway. I wish Hasbro would have completely randomized so I wouldn’t have to compete with people going for all combos.

Reaction score
He's just making his daily rounds getting in his jabs and insults where he can.
You know, I think I may be acquiring fans. I’m Luke and you lot are my Rey’s. Except, less personality.

Cant a guy have a conversation around here without being stalked? Who do I speak to about a restraining order?

Reaction score
You know, I think I may be acquiring fans. I’m Luke and you lot are my Rey’s. Except, less personality.

Cant a guy have a conversation around here without being stalked? Who do I speak to about a restraining order?
Jezz! Easy there boy. We're just trying to have fun here.

"Stalked"? "Restraining Order"??? LOL! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
If it weren't for the cost of these things on ebay, part of me really wants to get enough of these to create a solid purple color Vader. Even the saber. I think it would look pretty cool with the black cape. But that's a lot of money, and tough to get the torso apart without some serious damage.

Reaction score
You completists need a bonk on the head from Yodas ghost (cane?).

But seriously what’s the logic, why agonize to spend money on something you already have in triplicate unless your committing to some sort of artistic installation?

If I could walk into a store a buy one for retail, I’d purchase. So I guess I’m basically passing on this, I didn’t even really want one anyway. I wish Hasbro would have completely randomized so I wouldn’t have to compete with people going for all combos.
Whatever... I’ve been collecting one of each including variants since 1995. It’s a hobby that I still enjoy, and I most certainly don’t stress or agonize over it.

Reaction score
!
Groovy collection, Kneel Before ZOD! You have both my Orange Head versions! I have a Turquoise Head, RedTorso, Red Saber version that you don’t... (Sadly I like it too much to trade though.) I think — I will personally stop now at three. But I can see the joy one might get in having the much wider variety you have put together, ZOD!

Last edited:
Reaction score
tough to get the torso apart without some serious damage.
It's actually very easy. 'Boil and pop' = let the figure sit in a bowl of just-boiled water.

The limbs and head soften while the torso doesn't. You can then easily twist them in and out of the hard body shell without having to split it.

Reaction score
Glad someone is having fun with these. Would like to see some in all the same colors. The timing for these was perfect. If they would have come out at the wrong time I think they would have sat on most shelves and not sold. Let them come out when no new SW product is around and then make them hard to find and then bam. You got a popular item.

Reaction score
It’s also a very NEW take on very old item. Clever use of nostalgia. Very.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Glad someone is having fun with these. Would like to see some in all the same colors. The timing for these was perfect. If they would have come out at the wrong time I think they would have sat on most shelves and not sold. Let them come out when no new SW product is around and then make them hard to find and then bam. You got a popular item.
I think they could have come at any time, but are probably a couple of years too late if anything. Vintage is always popular and variations are all that's left once you have a set. Super 7 have cashed in on this fad to an excruciating degree. The ideal would have been during the nostalgia-driven vintage market spike of post-Rogue One, when many casual collectors started the hobby - and I sold up.

Reaction score
It's actually very easy. 'Boil and pop' = let the figure sit in a bowl of just-boiled water.

The limbs and head soften while the torso doesn't. You can then easily twist them in and out of the hard body shell without having to split it.
I tried this years ago with a vintage Luke X-Wing pilot. I put him in the boiling water for probably 30 seconds. Gave the head a pull, and the torso broke in three pieces. That was the last time I tried to do any sort of custom work on 5 POA figures. The SA stuff I can work with pretty easy.

Not to mention I'd be spending at least $10 a figure. Financially, it wouldn't make sense to spend $70 plus dollars for the parts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried this years ago with a vintage Luke X-Wing pilot. I put him in the boiling water for probably 30 seconds. Gave the head a pull, and the torso broke in three pieces. That was the last time I tried to do any sort of custom work on 5 POA figures. The SA stuff I can work with pretty easy.

Not to mention I'd be spending at least $10 a figure. Financially, it wouldn't make sense to spend $70 plus dollars for the parts.
The newer figures are made of different plastics leave one in there for 2 min and they turn to rubber.... Did many potf over the years easy peasy.

Last edited: