Darth Vader - Prototype Edition

Reaction score
:grin:
Can you IMAGINE the variations of that prototype Vader???

So glad I'm not all in on this stuff any more and have chosen to skip the retro line. That's just vicious beyond belief!

GNT

Reaction score
Not really sure about this one....

Reaction score
it's like the government created a super crack especially for completists. They can't resist the urge to collect them all.

Reaction score
I can't help being reminded of NBC when looking at these figures.

Maybe it's a subtle hint at Vader's mystical return in TROS.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thought I'd repost my comment here - Depending on the total number released, many of the figures will actually have a unique color combination. If you order multiple figures, they could all display different combinations of colored limbs, torsos, heads, and sabers. Someone at Celebration Chicago did a calculation, and there are apparently over five thousand possible color combinations, based on the Hasbro criteria for the figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PS9VD5IhuU

Fast forward to 1:45 for the discussion.

Reaction score
Reposting here too. I was at the Hasbro panel at Celebration where they discussed this Vader. They talked about their prototypes for figures being made in random, neon colors, which were a big hit around the Hasbro office, so they decided to make this Vader like that. It's as simple as that.

Reaction score
I for one don’t recall ever seeing any Kenner prototypes with neon psychedelic colors.

Reaction score
Hasbro must be seeing what pro custom figures is doing with Fett, and trying to cash in.

Reaction score
Reposting here too. I was at the Hasbro panel at Celebration where they discussed this Vader. They talked about their prototypes for figures being made in random, neon colors, which were a big hit around the Hasbro office, so they decided to make this Vader like that. It's as simple as that.
I think its a neat concept, and i like that whole backstory. I wont be buying one, but i totally get it for the people who do.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reaction score
It's difficult to even comment on this figure. I immediately thought of something I'd seen awhile back called Suckadelic. You can look up Sucklord, Suckrealm, (you may want to include Star Wars in your search... be careful)

If this is a one off character that is produced in small enough numbers, it will likely be big on the secondary market, but why would Hasbro feed the scalpers? Very odd choice when Hasbro doesn't seem interested in doing main characters with articulation, but this shows up? ?? ? ????? ??

Reaction score
I won't be getting, but I can see the appeal. If they did a Boba Fett or Bossk like this, I'd certainly be onboard.

Reaction score
It's difficult to even comment on this figure. I immediately thought of something I'd seen awhile back called Suckadelic. You can look up Sucklord, Suckrealm, (you may want to include Star Wars in your search... be careful)

If this is a one off character that is produced in small enough numbers, it will likely be big on the secondary market, but why would Hasbro feed the scalpers? Very odd choice when Hasbro doesn't seem interested in doing main characters with articulation, but this shows up? ?? ? ????? ??
I love his stuff. But I don't know wtf this garbage is lol

Reaction score
I’ve been really trying to adopt a conciliatory mood toward Hasbro (and Disney) for a really good stretch, and trying to stay positive. But this one is wearing on me a bit. The Retro line is fine, but this one is a bit of a teeth gritter.

Reaction score
I love his stuff. But I don't know wtf this garbage is lol
My comment certainly wasn't a dig on anyone's work, I just don't get why Hasbro is in on this? I assume people buy prototypes because they are rare, not because they are rainbow colored.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the Hasbro meetings. I can only imagine what is pitched if this is what is getting produced. Is there someone at Hasbro that is vetoing all the good ideas?

Reaction score
Prototypes do have their own niche market, but I honestly dont think they appeal to a wide range of collectors - and a replica of a prototype that never existed probably draws even less interest. I've never once seen a Kenner prototype that looked remotely like this. There are many modern prototype figures that come in a variety of oddball colors, and the colors used can bring in higher sales, so perhaps thats whats behind this creation. The very nature of prototypes makes them rare, but this figure certainly wont be. If Hasbro produces thousands of these, chances are many / most of them will have a unique color combination - but I'm not sure that will make them more collectible.

I wish they took an existing prototype that was never released, like the Kenner "Luke in robes" figure and got it to fans as an exclusive - that's something that would have resulted in me making a purchase.

http://theswca.com/images-unpro/luke-in-robes.html

Reaction score
Luke in Robes, Yarna, R2-D2 with sound chip and the second waves of the Droids and Ewoks lines are the prototypes that got really far into the process so it would be neat to see them finally get released.

Reaction score
Y'know, this was a huge flop of an idea when Mattel / Super7 did those wacky mixed-up test shot ideas for their giant He-Man and Skeletor SDCC figures. Almost nobody bought them for full price. They hung around for ages on Super7's site, and they're STILL languishing on BBTS, four years after they were released. The market for this kind of thing is so niche, it's not even worth trying to manufacture for it. I don't know what they're thinking.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Y'know, this was a huge flop of an idea when Mattel / Super7 did those wacky mixed-up test shot ideas for their giant He-Man and Skeletor SDCC figures. Almost nobody bought them for full price. They hung around for ages on Super7's site, and they're STILL languishing on BBTS, four years after they were released. The market for this kind of thing is so niche, it's not even worth trying to manufacture for it. I don't know what they're thinking.
I can almost understand the idea for a smaller company like Super7, since toy production costs are so high (even though I never buy random, blind-boxed trash). However, for a major toy corporation to try this just comes across like the worst kind of cash grab.

Reaction score
I've never seen or heard of Luke in Robes, but after seeing it, I love the idea!!! Somebody show Hasbro this.
Prototypes do have their own niche market, but I honestly dont think they appeal to a wide range of collectors - and a replica of a prototype that never existed probably draws even less interest. I've never once seen a Kenner prototype that looked remotely like this. There are many modern prototype figures that come in a variety of oddball colors, and the colors used can bring in higher sales, so perhaps thats whats behind this creation. The very nature of prototypes makes them rare, but this figure certainly wont be. If Hasbro produces thousands of these, chances are many / most of them will have a unique color combination - but I'm not sure that will make them more collectible.

I wish they took an existing prototype that was never released, like the Kenner "Luke in robes" figure and got it to fans as an exclusive - that's something that would have resulted in me making a purchase.

http://theswca.com/images-unpro/luke-in-robes.html

Reaction score
Sorry about sideways pic, but here's a custom Luke in robes fig got a few years back. Backside is standard 92 back.

Reaction score
What a great custom! Sideways or not, that’s a great pic. I wish I had one.

Reaction score
Why is he wearing robes?
I think the custom was based of a concept idea kenner was going with for 2nd series of potf1 in 1985/6 along with yarna (jabba's dancer). Back in mid 90's just before debut of potf2 re-launch line, I recall reading an article that mentioned these 2 along w/ Tarkin and Han (Stormtrooper) but when kenner dropped line in '85, only a few prototypes survived. Maybe that's why Kenner/Tonka had Han(stormtrooper) as a mail-away in 1995 to help the re-launch. From 2004-2007, there abouts, I managed to get customs of luke, Yarna, Vlix, droids/ewoks series 2. All look superb except Gen Koong (sp?) and Yarna. Koong's raised details, like shirt collar/buttons etc, are merely painted on and Yarna has only arm and neck articulation

Reaction score
I think the custom was based of a concept idea kenner was going with for 2nd series of potf1 in 1985/6 along with yarna (jabba's dancer). Back in mid 90's just before debut of potf2 re-launch line, I recall reading an article that mentioned these 2 along w/ Tarkin and Han (Stormtrooper) but when kenner dropped line in '85, only a few prototypes survived. Maybe that's why Kenner/Tonka had Han(stormtrooper) as a mail-away in 1995 to help the re-launch. From 2004-2007, there abouts, I managed to get customs of luke, Yarna, Vlix, droids/ewoks series 2. All look superb except Gen Koong (sp?) and Yarna. Koong's raised details, like shirt collar/buttons etc, are merely painted on and Yarna has only arm and neck articulation
I read somewhere that this was debunked as the origin for the robed Luke figure, and the new theory was the existing prototypes of a robed Luke figure were an early sculpt of the 1983 ROTJ Luke that Kenner was basing off of incomplete reference material.

Reaction score
I read somewhere that this was debunked as the origin for the robed Luke figure, and the new theory was the existing prototypes of a robed Luke figure were an early sculpt of the 1983 ROTJ Luke that Kenner was basing off of incomplete reference material.
that very well could be. I was merely referring back to an article I remember reading approx. 20-25 years ago then maybe 8 years later, I got an opportunity to get a custom one.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Either way, your custom looks awesome, and that figure ought to be a contender for a Retro figure down the line. I am so much more interested in getting the prototypes and wishlist figures in Kenner style than just reruns of the actual produced figures.