Darth Vader - A New Hope Mini Bust

Chris Wyman

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Just announced and now available for Pre-Order!

A Gentle Giant Ltd. release! The Dark Lord of the Sith ignites his crimson lightsaber blade in this all-new 1/6 scale mini-bust! Depicting Darth Vader with his cape in one hand and lightsaber in the other, this approximately 8-inch bust features detailed sculpting and paint applications. Limited to only 2500 pieces, it comes packaged with a numbered certificate of authenticity in a full-color box. Designed by the Silva Bros., sculpted by Anissa Tchoub.

1613713495199.png

1613713445171.png

Reaction score
Anotherrrrrr Vader ugh. I pre-ordered tho...it's a bust so I must have it lol.

I so want to open my email and see reveals for characters like Klaatu, Lama Su/Taun We, Duros, Nute Gunray, Malakili, Hoth Rebel Soldier, Labria...and so forth. Make 'em Chuck!

Back on topic tho, this Vader bust looks very cool!! He'll display nicely with the Obi-Wan from a few years back!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I guess this will be the A New Hope Vader that hadn't been made in all these years. To be honest, I wish he would have been made a few years ago when there were more OT characters getting released instead of now when OT releases are not that fluent. I'll buy him as part of my OT focus, but I'd be lying if I were to say I'm excited about this release. I much rather see other OT characters never made before, the completion of the Cantina band members, more OT droids, Bespin guard, Hoth soldier etc. A nice looking bust, a necessary one nonetheless, just sort of a dull offering to me, considering the many Vader busts we already have.

* I'm assuming in the description when they mentioned it to be 8" tall, they meant from the base to the tip of the saber blade.

1613720610188.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
We haven't had a Vader in awhile and it is a easy money maker for them like the troopers, boba fett, etc.

I like it, might get it around release time though, won't pre-order it.

Surprised we still haven't seen any of the busts from the concepts teased months ago like Luke, Rey and Palpatine though.

Reaction score
Yeah. Vader, Fett, Luke, Leia, Han. They know they are some of the most recognized characters, and easy money grabbers for the new and the old, the occasional and dedicated collector. Business is business. :)

Yeah. I'm wondering myself what's going on with the busts for which they showed the concept art a while back. I know that Bespin Luke is one many collectors have wanted for years.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yeah. Vader, Fett, Luke, Leia, Han. They know they are some of the most recognized characters, and easy money grabbers for the new and the old, the occasional and dedicated collector. Business is business. :)

Yeah. I'm wondering myself what's going on with the busts for which they showed the concept art a while back. I know that Bespin Luke is one many collectors have wanted for years.
I will pre-order Luke immediately..unless they do that terrible face from their ROTJ Luke SDCC exclusive a few years ago.

One of the worst faces they've done.

Reaction score
This is the best Star Wars collecting news I've had in 12 years! Really, I've been waiting forever for them to make an original Darth Vader Star Wars 1977 Mini Bust (forget "ANH"!). I feel like a kid at Christmas. I never understood why he'd been off the list for all these years and I can't wait to swap out my substitute Vader, seen here in my photo. Thank you Gentle Giant! I can Feel the Force!gg.jpg

Reaction score
I'll buy him as part of my OT focus, but I'd be lying if if were to say I'm excited about this release.
Julian.... why buy something you're not excited about? There have been a bunch of nice looking things being released, but I haven't purchased them because they didn't excite me. I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious as to the rationale for it? Color me curious...? :)

Reaction score
I like this and have ordered.\

although it is a little of a missed opportunity. They could have done one with a light up lightsaber. It would be a great companion to the second ANH version of Obi Wan they released a year or so ago, which was done really well.

Reaction score
Can’t believe I’m saying this about a ANH Vader but I won’t be pre-ordering this. Honestly, have so many Vader’s in minibust and statue form that it’ll have to be something special for me to purchase one. My days of purchasing multiples of the same character are long gone.

Reaction score
The helmet looks quite bad. Considering the fact that the original GG Stormie mini bust had the most accurate 1/6 helmet to date (even compared to Hot Toys, Sideshow or Marmit figures), it is strange to see how weird some new GG helmets look.

Reaction score
Are these two photos the only promo shots we have at this time? Im wondering if the
'red reflections' (knuckles/glove) are due to a red light on the bust, or are they really painted on.

Im usually all in on ANH.

Reaction score
Julian.... why buy something you're not excited about? There have been a bunch of nice looking things being released, but I haven't purchased them because they didn't excite me. I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious as to the rationale for it? Color me curious...? :)
Good question. John, you are right. Why buy something you are not excited about. At a first glance it seems a bit illogical to spend money on something you really have not much interest in, and personally I can understand if there are people not buying the mini bust because of the many Vader's produced in all shapes and forms. We all have our own reasons when we make choices in life, and I respect that.

That said, when it comes to my own collection and my display area limited to one 11' x 14' room of the house, all I have on display are OT characters, my focus, and thus these are important to me. My main display area for mini busts ( a wrap around wall to wall unit ) is divided by sections representing each OT movie. I've been using for years the "Thank the Maker" Vader mini bust for the ANH section because they had never made a proper Vader for EP IV. While it is another Vader per say, and differences on his outfit aren't really that noticeable from movie to movie, well, I know what I have on display is not an actual ANH Vader, and that's always bugged me a little. When they released the hood up Obi-Wan a few years ago, I wished there was a Vader to pair him up with, one that was actually from the movie and now is the chance to, while not fully accurate, have his ANH version. Again, I don't pretend to speak for others, just my own view. I could have waited longer for this ANH Vader in order to give way to other non-produced OT characters. So, while I know there will finally be an EP IV Vader mini bust in my collection, the excitement level is not at the height it could have been if what they had announced was Ephant Mon, another Cantina patron, the Death Star Droid, CZ-3, or the "M' one, to name just a few which in fact I would have preferred being offered first. In all, a needed, but unexciting offer to me personally. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will pre-order Luke immediately..unless they do that terrible face from their ROTJ Luke SDCC exclusive a few years ago.

One of the worst faces they've done.
I hear you. I received mine with a bent saber, sent it back, and never re-order it after seeing him up close. Everyone is entitle to their own likes/preferences, thus if some folks have it, this is not meant to put down what you chose to buy. But to me, he looked like one of those Funko figures (head-size comparison). Personally, I felt he was right there with the melted up face of some Slave Leia mini mini busts, and the General Obi-Wan statue. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when Bespin Luke comes out (will he?), he'll have a good likeness to the actor.

Reaction score
If this is supposed to be ANH Vader, shouldn't that chest plate be a solid black color? What about having more of an asymmetric helmet and possibly adding a very subtle, reddish tint to the lenses? Just sayin'...

Reaction score
I hear you. I received mine with a bent saber, sent it back, and never re-order it after seeing him up close. Everyone is entitle to their own likes/preferences, thus if some folks have it, this is not meant to put down what you chose to buy. But to me, he looked like one of those Funko figures (head-size comparison). Personally, I felt he was right there with the melted up face of some Slave Leia mini mini busts, and the General Obi-Wan statue. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that when Bespin Luke comes out (will he?), he'll have a good likeness to the actor.
I remember that lol.

It was definitely up there with the terrible times of General Kenobi and Slave Leia. I'm shocked that got approved by Luacsfilm honestly.

Unfortunately I'm not collecting any of the ST merchandise, but their Crait Luke came out fantastic IMO.

Reaction score
I'm not overly excited about a sixth Darth Vader, but I ordered it... the reason, it's a collection and when it comes to the OT, I collect 'em all.

After PGM and some reward points, I managed to order it for $85 shipped, so I'm good with that.

Reaction score
If this is supposed to be ANH Vader, shouldn't that chest plate be a solid black color? What about having more of an asymmetric helmet and possibly adding a very subtle, reddish tint to the lenses? Just sayin'...
Really good points, especially about the lenses.

Then again, this is GG...be glad they didn't give him a blaster.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not collecting any of the ST merchandise, but their Crait Luke came out fantastic IMO.
Fully agree with you. The Crait Luke came out great, and it is a bust I would have bought if I were collecting ST merchandise. So there is hope Bespin Luke will do well. :)

Reaction score
Vader never had red lenses. They were amber and very subtle at that. The rogue one Vader should not be used as a reference (not saying you used that film as a reference) for his lenses as they made them straight up red and it looked pretty silly. GG! PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THESE LENSES RED!

Reaction score
Vader never had red lenses. They were amber and very subtle at that. The rogue one Vader should not be used as a reference (not saying you used that film as a reference) for his lenses as they made them straight up red and it looked pretty silly. GG! PLEASE DO NOT MAKE THESE LENSES RED!
Amber/reddish...semantics. I did use the word "subtle" as well. If it does or doesn't have them, that doesn't bother me so much. I can see where ppl hate that & it's probably too hard to paint that w/out it looking weird. It's the bright gray middle stripe on the chest plate that's my beef. It should appear mostly black, shouldn't it? Or at least have an alternating flat black/softer gray tone color. Definitely not a shiny gray though. Just my first glace thoughts. Don't see myself adding this as I have enough Vaders already.

EDIT: Also, the ANH Vader lightsaber did not have any colored wires on it. A tiny niggle, sure. But that's what we do here. ;)

vader.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
C'mon, people. It's a bloody mini bust, not a prop replica of its outfit. Why all the nitpicking? I'm adding it to my collection because like lightsword, dunk and others mentioned, we do not have a ANH Vader and this one will do the trick. Am I excited for it? No. Do I want it in my collection? Yes. End of story.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vader's my collecting focus and even though, like others have mentioned, we've already had a bunch of Vader busts, this is the first one based on ANH. My favorite character from my favorite movie? Pre-ordering this one was a no-brainer for me.

Reaction score
My biggest gripe with the helmet is the overly flared neck (there are a few other issues but this is the most significant). The neck reminds me of this:

2cbff28acd630a94f83e95642a9679f3.jpg

Reaction score
I'm not an expert of Vader's Helmet (or whatever part of his armor) but I immediately see the saber hilt is not accurate.
As I like to have my busts autographed and with the passing of David Prowse, I will consider this new Vader more like hos Rogue One's rendition rather than a true ANH one.

Reaction score
Another Vader bust ? Really ? It's a shame considering there's so many other characters they could do. Another easy pass for me.

Reaction score
Glad for those that this will be their 1st Vader minibust added to their collection. I'm passing because I have plenty of Vader minibusts and this one doesn't bring anything new to my collection.

Reaction score
Another Vader bust ? Really ? It's a shame considering there's so many other characters they could do. Another easy pass for me.
Vader will always be in the product lines, just like other companies (Hasbro, Sideshow, Hot Toys, etc). Were due for a Boba Fett soon too.

If more Vader's means we can get other supporting characters or cantina aliens, I'm all for it.

Reaction score
Vader will always be in the product lines, just like other companies (Hasbro, Sideshow, Hot Toys, etc). Were due for a Boba Fett soon too.

If more Vader's means we can get other supporting characters or cantina aliens, I'm all for it.
As he should be, however it's frustrating when this they prioritize capitalizing on more established characters, than the ones I personally want! ;)

I was just hating, it actually does look pretty good.

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is the cape has no chain on it and is under the helmet. The cape is supposed to be above the base of the helmet. This is not screen accurate. See the screen picture earlier in this thread a few posts above.

Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is the cape has no chain on it and is under the helmet. The cape is supposed to be above the base of the helmet. This is not screen accurate. See the screen picture earlier in this thread a few posts above.
I just finished going through 100's of movie stills and I guess the chain and cape sometimes are under the neck piece. I just don't like the look of this bust. It's nice he has his saber but it looks to flat. Would love if they did a ROTJ one with an Anakin reveal someday.

Reaction score
Looking at my other 5 Vaders, this one is just lacking detail. The gloves aren't detailed like the previous 5 releases and I don't like the eyes not having the red hue. They look blank without it. Like there's no lenses. I actually like the pose. But really don't need another Vader. That's why I'm talking myself out of it ;)

Reaction score
I really want to love this bust as I’ve been clamoring for an ANH Vader for years, but like many others have said already, it’s just off. I’ll still get it, but I wish it were more screen accurate; including the lenses (red or amber or whatever color they were, they weren’t black!). The helmet sculpt in general just isn’t great and seems strange...

And I don’t see that the face mask has the silver accent markings on it either. I’ll add those later myself if it doesn’t come with them.

Sigh* I think this bust was a good choice by GG, but the implementation fell short. I hope they fix it and what we’re seeing isn’t the final version!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk