Darth Maul - MH05

GNT

Reaction score
Please use this thread to discuss the Movie Heroes release of Darth Maul.

Reaction score
It looks like there are two versions of Darth Maul coming out in this line. From pictures I have seen, however, it looks like very limited (i.e. the old Kenner standard of 5 points) articulation. Has anyone seen other pictures of these figures to indicate otherwise?

Reaction score
There will be five ways to buy Darth Maul this year:

The Vintage Collection - new figure
Movie Heroes - Saga Sith Apprentice figure
Discover The Force (Walmart) - Evolutions figure
Emergence of the Sith (Target) - Episode I Sith Speeder figure
Darth Maul and Sith Speeder pack

Reaction score
^ Six versions, actually.

There's also a newly sculpted version coming out along with Qui-Gon and Obi Wan (with electronic Lightsaber features). It's the one with with glaring teeth and only swivel shoulders- sold on eBay right now. Don't know why they made it, as the repainted SAGA Sith Apprentice version seems superior, in playability at least. So I guess there are TWO Movie Heroes Darth Mauls.

If anything, why didn't they release an electronic Lightsaber version on Maul along with the Jedi?

Reaction score
In hand...

It's an action feature "slashing action" like the '99 deluxe Maul (pictured with him above) No button on his back, squeeze his legs.

Reaction score
No articulation on the elbows if that's what you're asking. Squeeze his legs, and his arms move up and down. Swivel forearms, swivel shoulders, swivel hips and a ball joint head. That's it.

Reaction score
There will be five ways to buy Darth Maul this year:

The Vintage Collection - new figure
Movie Heroes - Saga Sith Apprentice figure
Discover The Force (Walmart) - Evolutions figure
Emergence of the Sith (Target) - Episode I Sith Speeder figure
Darth Maul and Sith Speeder pack
And if I were a betting man I'd wager a huge sum of money on not a single one of them having a lightsaber with blades that are the correct length.

Reaction score
I didn't realize there was a sixth version. I really like the head on this one, but enough to pay another $8 to get one.

Reaction score
I as thinking the same thing...you cant be disappointed if you have really low expectations...

Reaction score
Why would anyone be disappointed? We've all known for months this was going to be an old, terrible repack. Were you surprised? ;)

Ok let me re phrase. For those that have not seen this figure get ready to be disappointed. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
... why the heck are the facial Tattoos on this *cheapo* Version so
much sharper/ better than on the new TVC Maul ????? I don't get it ...
Hasbro show that they CAN actually paint it *clean and sharp*, and
then they go and screw it up on the far superior TVC Figure...

annoying ... most annoying ... :mad:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if those pictures are of a hand-painted sample and the quality of the design on the production figure is equal to the production Vintage figure's.

Reaction score
I received the 2nd Movie Heroes Maul from an overseas seller today. As others have mentioned, the articulation is limited but I think the head sculpt is actually a little better than the Vintage version. And this figure looks very good when in one of his possible poses.

Reaction score
The head sculpt and paint is great, but the articulation and scale is awful.

Still, there are a couple of really cool poses that he can strike, and the plastic cape actually gives it a cool sense of motion. I got it because due to it's small scale, I could put fit him easily on my already full Sith shelf :p

Reaction score
Let's see some comparison pics with this and the vintage one. What happened to the guys who used to post pictures all the time threads shouldn't be picture less yo

Reaction score
has anyone tried chucking that snarling head on the VC maul to see if A.it can fit and B it looks better ?

Reaction score
Make perfect sense to me. Why not Hasbro? :confused:
Because the light-up system they're using probably only works when the lightsaber points straight out of the figure's arm. And Maul would look goofy with his giant hilt pointing straight out. My guess is it would cost more to work up the kind of system that would light up a blade held perpendicular to the arm, which is how Maul must hold his.

Of course, they could have just fudged on Maul's lightsaber and given him a regular hilt with a single blade. I don't think too many kids would have objected to that...

Reaction score
I really like this figure, I find it to be a good representation of Maul and it's painted nicely and comes with his classic double bladed lightsaber. The face on Maul looksreally fierce and his robes are all frayed out as if he's in mid slash, which I like quite a bit since I like action poses. One thing that stood out a bit to me was the way the figure sits in the packaging (I keep mine all MOC), it's a little quirky but looks pretty good. Overall I'd rate this figure a 8.0/10 on the coolness scale and I think this is overall a very good piece for those looking to display these figures MOC or even for those who want to take them out and display them on bookcases and whatnot.

Reaction score
I never got the old version of this figure...but since they removed his one splash of color on his robes, I'm on the fence. On the one hand, I doubt I'll be able to find the VC one for a while. On the other this is an older figure. On one hand, it's a pretty nice figure, on the other hand, it has a bad action feature. What to do, what to do?

Reaction score
Well, do you plan on keeping him inside of his packaging or opening him up for display on a shelf or something? The reason as to why I ask is because there may be a better representation of Maul to be had if your plan is to open him and display him, but if you plan on keeping him mint on it's card than I would surely pick up the Movie Heroes figure because Maul looks great encased in the Maul inspired packaging. Either which way, whether its a repack or whatever, I find the figure to be quite awesome and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great Darth Maul figure.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well, do you plan on keeping him inside of his packaging or opening him up for display on a shelf or something? The reason as to why I ask is because there may be a better representation of Maul to be had if your plan is to open him and display him, but if you plan on keeping him mint on it's card than I would surely pick up the Movie Heroes figure because Maul looks great encased in the Maul inspired packaging. Either which way, whether its a repack or whatever, I find the figure to be quite awesome and would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a great Darth Maul figure.
I'll open it. But I'll probably try to find a better one before I buy this one.

Reaction score
has anyone tried chucking that snarling head on the VC maul to see if A.it can fit and B it looks better ?
I haven't tried it with this figure's head (not buying this piece of crap) but the older EVO/TLC/Droid Factory 'snarling' Maul head fits, albeit very loosely. I don't think it looks as good as the stock TVC head, but I'm a little biased 'cuz I LOVE that figure!

Reaction score
I got this one today at TRU (basic figures on sale for 30% off, and they were basically sold out of Vintage.) I had the old version with the red on the robes and I forgot how fun that figure was! I really like this guy even though he has an action feature, but one that works perfectly and is actually really cool. His unique leg articulation is pretty awesome as well, you can give him different squatting and leaning poses and he can stand fine in most of them. I think this (more than most Mauls) makes a great toy for kids and was a perfect one to include in the Movie Heroes line which is very action feature-centric. He also displays very nicely.

Fun figure and definitely worth the almost 7 dollars I paid for him. He seems to be one of the faster movers so if you're on the fence, you should get him!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I bought this figure also cause it was on sale at toys r us like you, but I got it for the guantlets to use on my vintage Maul so I can recreate this figure but with complete articulation.