Darth Maul Concept Mini Bust - SDCC Exclusive

Reaction score
Order Now !
f829aab95e3b37e2b78b457b201b8523.jpg

Reaction score
They posted on FB about an hour early for PG members to log in and be ready at midnight for the 2021 SDCC Exclusives.
c1017056f5846548fd06f05b5cf57a47.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Sheesh... I'm glad I happened to check online one more time before bed. No email about this, no nothing...

It's a nice piece, but I wish it was an unmade McQuarrie concept bust. Darth Maul was barely in the movies but somehow we’ve got six mini busts now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Before there was Darth Maul, there was the idea of Darth Maul, and this bust is based on that amazing idea! Inspired by Iain McCaig’s concept sketches of the famous Sith Lord, this 1/6 scale Bust shows Maul in his high-collared outfit, and stands approximately 7 inches tall. Limited to only 750 pieces, it comes packaged with a limited-edition certificate of authenticity in a full-color box. Sculpted by Rocco Tartamella.
a2a584e71f12757680d1dc4bb595712f.jpg

Reaction score
Yeah , I was about to go to bed when I saw their post on FB. It said something like " PG members , log in and be ready for the SDCC Exclusives at 12:00AM on Tuesday ! "
So I figured they were going to drop something new for us ! Glad I caught it , I love it !

Reaction score
Nice looking bust, which I'm sure will appeal to Maul collectors and/or folks collecting everything GG puts out. I collect McQuarrie concept Mini Busts only when it comes to the concept line, which we have been getting since 2009 with the exception of one mini bust attributed to the work of Joe Johnston alone. At first I thought the line was based on solely McQuarrie's work which by the way, there are still plenty of of his concept drawings that would be great to see them get the Polystone treatment. That said, I can now see the "Concept Line" is being expanded to other artists, unfortunately Iain McCaig’s work isn't the one I've chosen to collect, and I need to save space for things I truly want to have. Again nice Mini Bust, just not for me.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Honestly, many years ago I would have snapped this up. Now, it’s just ‘okay’. Have a Maul bust already on display and three sitting still boxed up in the loft.

Haven’t joined this years PGM so far and for the first time I’m planning not to. As an international collector I’ve been using them less and less due to the high cost of shipping and customs unless it’s for a must have exclusive.

This Maul bust as nice as it is hasn’t pushed me to change that decision. Maybe a McQuarrie piece would have changed that as that’s more of my focus. Other concept pieces not so much.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not digging it. Looks like he has rubber bands wrapped around his horns. The finish of the face also looks a little granulated, a little rough, not a smooth finish as previous mini busts had. I'm wondering if they are changing the way these get made. Happy for those that like it, though.

Reaction score
Man , surely I can't be the only one who loves the look of this one ? ! While I of course agree that we need to continue the Macquarie line , I'm more than open to this new idea of exploring the awesome concept art of other Star Wars designers ! I love the design of the robes he's wearing ! Very cool ! They make this simple pose look fantastic. I'm digging the ornamental runes that are strung together and worn around the crown of his head. I imagine they would signify the level of his training , much like a Padawan's braid. Even the look on his face looks correct for this pose. Like he's just observing you entering the training chambers on Dathomir , and he's already calmly sizing you up. I love it !
7a48d31988ba7c55536c433d8a89a3e6.jpg

Reaction score
Glad this long hair isn't what we ended up with when they were designing Darth Maul.
b2d09324fd6baaa1393efa7c92a225d9.jpg

Reaction score
Man , surely I can't be the only one who loves the look of this one ? ! While I of course agree that we need to continue the Macquarie line , I'm more than open to this new idea of exploring the awesome concept art of other Star Wars designers ! I love the design of the robes he's wearing ! Very cool ! They make this simple pose look fantastic. I'm digging the ornamental runes that are strung together and worn around the crown of his head. I imagine they would signify the level of his training , much like a Padawan's braid. Even the look on his face looks correct for this pose. Like he's just observing you entering the training chambers on Dathomir , and he's already calmly sizing you up. I love it !

I'm with you. I prefer simple poses for busts. They take up less room, come in smaller boxes, are less fragile, and the neutral look fits the concept of a bust in my mind. I do like this piece a lot, I just wish it was a McQuarrie Palpatine or something like that.

Reaction score
I always thought this figure was kinda cool when it was released by Hasbro many moons ago. Would be an instant buy for me as I collect most Maul collectibles. I bit the bullet and renewed my subscription this morning. Been waiting for the order to process so I can finally check it out...only to get a 2nd email from Gentle Giant that my order for Guild Membership was cancelled. No other notes, no nothing. So I guess I'm out. GG or should I say DST just doesn't want my money. I'm just tired of the games anymore. GG was a **** show before and DST is just another bunch of ****ing clueless corporate morons. Who thought this company could possibly be ran any worse! haha Jokes on me!

Reaction score
Hey D.Poppycock ,
Did you try to use reward points or any discount codes when you ordered your PGM ?
If so , that's why it got canceled. At least that's what happened on my first attempt.

Reaction score
You realize that every time that GG makes me disappointed I have to come up with a new way to express my disappointment. This is going to be taxing, but I think I can do it.

Or, and hear me out here… you could just say “that one’s not for me, but good for those of you who want one,” and then don’t spend time being disappointed. 🤷‍♂️

Reaction score
7a48d31988ba7c55536c433d8a89a3e6.jpg

I'm with you too...love this one! I was hoping for a McQuarrie bust and certainly didn't expect this but I must say I do love it. Ian McCaig and Doug Chiang both did a lot of incredible concept work for the prequels so this is a neat and welcome surprise.

That being said I do hope we get many more McQuarrie busts in the future.

This bust looks beautiful so hopefully the finished product turns out this well. I've always loved the artwork this is based off of as well as other artwork which is similar with wire around his head with feathers attached which had grown into his skin becoming permanently fused into his skull/flesh I believe I read at one point. Very cool stuff IMO.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk