Darklord's 8" Gotham City Custom Action Figures!

Reaction score
Greetings fellow ‘Scummers!

I am very proud to announce that I have created a line of 1:9 scale custom action figure toys under a brand I have named "9 Art" Collectibles!

These custom toys represent the DC Comics Gotham City mythology. The line is, therefore, called “The Legends Of Gotham City”Collection. These are their stories.

Ching, ching!!!

Reaction score
DEVELOPING ALL-NEW MORE POSEABLE BODIES

I first began my quest to create definitive versions of my favorite classic Gotham City heroes and villains in the 8-inch scale in the late 1990’s.

Back then, I used vintage 8 inch MEGO bodies and body parts to create my custom characters.

However, I quickly became dissatisfied with the low quality of materials, bungee cord construction, and extremely limited poseability of the MEGO bodies. I was disappointed in the very poor character body-type sizing and scaling that were available by MEGO (and most recently by FIGURES TOYS COMPANY). Robin was the same height as The Penguin… was the same height as The Joker… was the same height as Batgirl… or even was the same height as The Batman himself.

Lame.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Working in the 1:9 scale, I established an “Athletic Hero-Man” body that could be used to create the average Olympian-build superhero archetype, and then I would scale all other characters from that as I re-visited my custom 8 inch Gotham City figures of the 1990’s!

I developed my 9Art bodies by kit-bashing body parts from various toy lines and combining them together into the basis for my intended characters. In some cases, I performed a healthy amount of custom re-sculpting to make the parts more character appropriate.

Unlike the hollow body parts and torsos created for 8 inch MEGO and FTC action figures, my 9ART body components are all completely SOLID, resulting in hefty, weighted figures of increased density. Through careful attention to proper body proportions, I managed to develop figures of remarkable anatomical accuracy.

Reaction score
Body Construction:

The various bodies I developed all feature a tight, solid, all ball-joint construction (no outdated bungee circuit tension assembly like MEGO or FTC). This type of construction makes for superior posing integrity and standing stability. My custom bodies range from a minimum of 29 points of articulation to as high as 32 points of articulation, and they provide endless options for posing.

There are 5 basic body types created for my Legends of Gotham City line of custom figures:

“ATHLETIC “HERO-MAN BODY” (created for Bruce Wayne / The Batman)

I created this body with the following stats:

Height:. 8.125" tall (nude) translates to a real life man of 6'2" in height in true 1:9 scale.

“AVERGE THIN-MAN BODY” (created for Police Commissioner Gordon, Alfred Pennyworth, and villains The Riddler, The Joker, Two Face)

Height: (varying) 7.75" – 8” tall (nude) translates to a real life man standing 5’10” – 6’ in height in true 1:9 scale.

“SHORT FAT-MAN BODY (created for The Penguin)

Height: 7" tall (nude) translates to a real life man standing 5’ 3” in height in true 1:9 scale.

ATHLETIC YOUNG WOMAN BODY (created for Barbara Gordon/Batgirl, villains Catwoman, and Harley Quinn.

Height: 7" tall (nude) translates to a real life teenaged girl (or young woman) standing 5’ 3” in height in true 1:9 scale.

ATHLETIC YOUNG BOY BODY (created for Richard Grayson / Robin The Boy Wonder)

Height: 6.375" tall (nude) translates to a real life boy standing 4’9” in height in true 1:9 scale.

Here is the 9ART boy body posed next to the athletic “male hero” body to provide a sense of scale.

Reaction score
COSTUMES

The costume components for the sorted cast of custom Gotham City characters were developed from scratch. I personally developed all garment patterns, selected and cut all fabrics, and sewed together all items into finished clothes. In some cases, the garments that needed to be fabricated were complex items (like The Batman’s removable cowl) which required scratch sculpting, molding, and then final casting.

Reaction score
POLICE COMMISSIONER JAMES GORDON - 9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (7.85” height)

My custom 9ART Police Commissioner Gordon action figure is seen here flashing The Batsignal during a dangerous night in Gotham City.

Custom Action Figure features 30 points of articulation, custom-sculpted James Gordon head sculpt, GCPD badge, service revolver, Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity

Reaction score
HARVEY “TWO FACE” DENT - 9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (7.85” height)

Gotham’s former District Attorney transformed into one of the most notorious master criminals in the city.

Custom Action Figure features 30 points of articulation, custom-sculpted Two-Face Head, Two headed silver dollar, .22 automatic pistol, Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity

Reaction score
EDWARD “THE RIDDLER” NIGMA -9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (7.65” height)

Baffling Gotham City with his riddle-based crime sprees!

Custom Action Figure features 30 points of articulation, custom-sculpted Edward Nigma Head, Removable face mask, solid brass question mark walking cane, Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity

Reaction score
THE JOKER -9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (B” height)

A psychotic Clown Prince of Crime terrorizing Gotham City!

Custom Action Figure features 30 points of articulation, custom-sculpted Joker Head, Tire iron, crowbar, Joker head walking cane, trick playing card deck, automatic pistol revolver, Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity

Reaction score
OSWALD “THE PENGUIN” COBBLEPOT -9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (7” height)

Gotham’s most frigid bird consolidates power in the city’s underworld to become a deadly criminal overlord.

Custom Action Figure features 26 points of articulation, custom-sculpted Oswald Cobblepot head, removeable top hat and monocle. Two “bumbershoot” umbrella weapons Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity

Reaction score
ROBIN THE BOY WONDER - 9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (6.375” height)

An orphaned, former circus acrobat becomes the junior half of the legendary Dynamic Duo!

Custom Action Figure features 26 points of articulation, custom-sculpted Richard Grayson Head, removable facemask, brass utility belt buckle, bat-a-rang, bat rope, Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity.

Last edited:
Reaction score
THE BATMAN - 9Art 1:9 scale Elite Edition Custom Action Figure (8.375” height)

Billionaire Bruce Wayne’s terrifying alter-ego during his unstoppable war on crime.

Custom Action Figure features 28 points of articulation. Removable bat cowl, custom-sculpted Bruce Wayne Head, Bat-a-rang, Bat Rope, Custom Window Box, Custom Character File Card, Certificate of authenticity