Darkknight’s Customs

Reaction score
Here’s a better shot that shows there is a difference, but it’s still too close. And there’s also a shot comparing the skin tone of the head compared to the arms. I think that tone would be different enough. I’ve just got to figure out how to customize the paint. I’m thinking add a drop or two of red and maybe a drop or two of yellow.

7D24C587-5109-481B-BA77-4062ACEE1E72.png492BC5EE-D560-4CA8-A0B6-071DA70157F6.jpeg

Reaction score
Okay yodashizzle, this goes out to you and Lance_Quazar for giving me the push to get it done right! I’m glad I redid the arms as it looks a lot better now:

FF72EA35-3841-4214-9DE5-DF79DF1C796C.png

Here’s a comparison shot:

EB13A62D-4B87-41D7-AAD0-4CBB60B40D48.png

And here’s why I was like oh crap I have to repaint the arms:

128BF887-DBBE-49B3-8C17-FDA903C129DD.jpeg

Reaction score
Looks great! Holy cow, that's a lot of skiff guards!!!

Yeah, it's taken a long time to get them all to this point! Just have to trim a little piece off the helmets, cut the fabric and attach it and attach the heads. There are 12 there. I redid my original two Velkens, and then I'm making the other two guys that wear the same outfit, and then I made eight Velkens to try and sell. The pandemic wiped out my job so I thought well, maybe I can make extras and sell them since Hasbro isn't apparently ever going to make him. I've seen some horribly inaccurate ones, like one with the same body where the green tunic wasn't even painted, and people paid a lot for it! So we'll see how it goes.

Reaction score
By the other ones you mean Nizuc Bec (at least one of 'em), right? Sort of a bearded guy on both the barge and hanging out at the palace with the same tan poofy vest as Velken?

Reaction score
By the other ones you mean Nizuc Bec (at least one of 'em), right? Sort of a bearded guy on both the barge and hanging out at the palace with the same tan poofy vest as Velken?

Yep, him and then there was a guy with the same outfit with a lighter beard down by where Luke comes out of the Rancor pit. At least there was a behind the scenes shot of him. Crap, I hope he wasn't a deleted scenes guy! I'll have to check that out.

Utinniii

Reaction score
He exists on screen so you are good.
Try adding a touch of orange or yellow to your skin tone and see if it gets any closer to the face color.

Reaction score
He exists on screen so you are good.
Try adding a touch of orange or yellow to your skin tone and see if it gets any closer to the face color.

Phew! That’s good to know.

I kept adding red and yellow and I couldn’t quite get it to match the head. But at this point I’m done. Someone had suggested in the sail barge thread that it would make sense that his arms would be a different color since they’re bare in the tatooine sun and his face wouldn’t be the same since it’s covered by the scarf and helmet and I am totally going with that theory! (But it does kind of make sense that his arms would be more red. Again, sticking with that theory!!! Lol!)

I do appreciate the tip though!

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Matching color tones is probably the hardest things for me to do. That's why many of my humanoids have yellow, red, pink or other (non-human)) skin tones.

Reaction score
When I try to come up with a skintone, I usually use brown, yellow, very small amount of red and then some white. I usually make a dark tone and then bring in more white till it's the shade I am looking for. As Utinniii said, matching colors is a pretty difficult thing but it gets a little easier with some at-bats. Once you do it a few times, it's something that gets where you feel like you can get the right shade.

Reaction score
Ironically I started with flesh tone as my base! I was adding red and yellow in the hopes they would combine to give it an orangish hue like the head has but I can’t tell you how many times I added some more red, then some yellow, then more red and yellow and kept doing that over and over and finally I was like okay, close enough!

I may have to do some more attempts at color matching when I do the one with the dark blonde beard since presumably he’s more of a dungeon guy so I can’t use the “his arms are sunburned and his face is covered” rationale. The dude with the dark beard and goggles I’ll have to try again with too but maybe I can get away with the sunburn thing since I don’t know exactly what his duties were??

Reaction score
Finally finished two more customs tonight. I’ve had the bodies done for a while now since I made them when I made my large batch of velken tezeris. All I had to do was the helmets, scarves, accessories and paint the one guy’s arms and neck so the flesh tone would match the head.

It took me awhile to get back to finishing them but I finally did it. I think a big part of it is I knew I wouldn’t be overly happy with how the helmets turned out, so don’t spend too long looking at the helmets!! I guess that’s what I get for refusing to sculpt anything. But I think they’re good enough for standing in a crowded palace.

First up is Nizuc Bek. Unfortunately he’s got so many coats of paint on his arms he won’t be holding his rifle like in the picture!

4204300D-4151-4F8A-A276-258D483BB766.png

DA0CEC5A-66FA-4C37-B11C-B96385AC2063.jpeg

And this guy:

E766B943-7D4F-4448-9D44-C16B3FC89914.png

B1F1C313-B619-477E-9DED-DE56762DF47A.jpeg

99980923-F334-4479-B3B8-3BA2EF5C4052.jpeg

CC7AEF48-211B-4A45-87DF-1CC662CA82CF.jpeg

Reaction score
Did this guy tonight. Pretty straightforward and not a whole lot to it. It’s the security officer Vul Tazaene.

Since we don’t see his hands, at least not in any of the photos I’ve seen, I decided to give him some gloves which seems like something a security officer would have. All the other customs I’ve seen have bare hands. I also added the bracer on the one wrist because the figure I got had a defect and there was a split in the wrist so I was able to cover it up.

DF4017AE-CCDE-4CF4-8C09-711CEABA8BB3.png

E7E3A583-43F3-4B1F-9D50-1EE207DCC0CC.jpeg

1341A282-395E-49C8-857B-833FF09D934D.jpeg

68B49EC3-9441-4531-97EC-8B1C208E1C74.jpeg

Other than some 3D printed accessories to paint, I think I’m going back to retirement. I can’t think of anyone else I want to make. But maybe I’ll come across someone someday and I’ll get that itch…

Reaction score
Great job on Vul Tazaene, I don't recognize the headsculpt, but I like it a lot. I tried a Basso (from the Mouse and Basso 2008 Comic pack) and a GI Joe Rex "The Doctor" Lewis, neither is a satisfactory likeness to me. I kinda thought the GI Joe head would work but the whole scarred up thing doesn't really fly on what could potentially have been a solution. Anyhow, who did you use? What's this talk of "retirement???" Nonsense, friend. Stay in the game. You've run through some great customs, a lot of them from Jedi. Many of the ANH and ESB backgrounders are waiting for you to tackle them. Think of all those figures walking the streets of Mos Eisley or the corridors of Bespin. If you like sprinkles on your ice cream....I want you to remember...sprinkles are for winners. And winners never quit. Find some characters to do. And then do them. And then have some sprinkles on your ice cream.

Reaction score
Did this guy tonight. Pretty straightforward and not a whole lot to it. It’s the security officer Vul Tazaene.

Since we don’t see his hands, at least not in any of the photos I’ve seen, I decided to give him some gloves which seems like something a security officer would have. All the other customs I’ve seen have bare hands. I also added the bracer on the one wrist because the figure I got had a defect and there was a split in the wrist so I was able to cover it up.

View attachment 414581

View attachment 414582

View attachment 414583

View attachment 414584

Other than some 3D printed accessories to paint, I think I’m going back to retirement. I can’t think of anyone else I want to make. But maybe I’ll come across someone someday and I’ll get that itch…
Don't retire! Just take a hiatus on being creative. I lost interest for 10 years, then it came back to me for some odd reason around the pandemic.

So much had changed in the figure customizing world. Prices for fodder went way up. Articulation increased and figure lines I'd never even seen were on the scene.

Either way we've enjoyed your work.

Reaction score
You became a great customizer who makes the community so much better! I’m sad to see you go! But maybe you’ll get the “commissions” bug at some point (ahem, ahem) and make a few bucks…?

Reaction score
Tazaene looks great. Your work has spurred me on a few occasions, and this'll be another example. I've had a headless/handless Skiff Master and an armless Sharad Hett bangin' around in the fodder bin for way too long. Once I finish some of the dreck I'm working on, my next project is lined up. Thanks!

Utinniii

Reaction score
Actually, you can't quit just yet. He's all wrong. He is sleeveless, with feathered trim on his (longer) jacket arms, wearing leather bracers twice as long, and NO GLOVES.

The gloves wouldn't take,
you have to remake.

I also think he has some serious eye make-up but that could be shadows.

(we see his hand briefly during the Rancor fight; very well when he takes a drink from R2 on the barge, and again when he flees the barge.

Reaction score
Great job on Vul Tazaene, I don't recognize the headsculpt, but I like it a lot. I tried a Basso (from the Mouse and Basso 2008 Comic pack) and a GI Joe Rex "The Doctor" Lewis, neither is a satisfactory likeness to me. I kinda thought the GI Joe head would work but the whole scarred up thing doesn't really fly on what could potentially have been a solution. Anyhow, who did you use? What's this talk of "retirement???" Nonsense, friend. Stay in the game. You've run through some great customs, a lot of them from Jedi. Many of the ANH and ESB backgrounders are waiting for you to tackle them. Think of all those figures walking the streets of Mos Eisley or the corridors of Bespin. If you like sprinkles on your ice cream....I want you to remember...sprinkles are for winners. And winners never quit. Find some characters to do. And then do them. And then have some sprinkles on your ice cream.

Thanks!! Hmmm, sprinkles are good! I guess I can’t say I’ll NEVER do more, I’ve just done all the ones I wanted to populate my dioramas. I did get a little burnt out but I did enjoy doing these last few. So maybe down the road.

For the head, I got one from the marauder site. I’ve gotten so many useful things from them since a lot of the sw props were made using wwii items. And they’re really well made and reasonably priced. The head I used is on this page: Marauder head

Reaction score
Don't retire! Just take a hiatus on being creative. I lost interest for 10 years, then it came back to me for some odd reason around the pandemic.

So much had changed in the figure customizing world. Prices for fodder went way up. Articulation increased and figure lines I'd never even seen were on the scene.

Either way we've enjoyed your work.

Interesting that the pandemic is what brought you back. It’s what really got me doing them in the first place! And interesting too that you came back after a long hiatus. I guess I could see getting the itch again at some point too. I thought I was done once before and then ended up making a bunch more so there’s a good chance! I will admit I do have one more body I’ve been thinking of using for a custom and have thought about the headgear and head for it so there is that…

Reaction score
You became a great customizer who makes the community so much better! I’m sad to see you go! But maybe you’ll get the “commissions” bug at some point (ahem, ahem) and make a few bucks…?

I suppose it’s possible! I do still have more velken tezeris and human mercenary skiff guards to sell but I know you already bought a velken and I don’t recall on the mercenary dude.

And thank you very much for the great compliment!

Reaction score
Tazaene looks great. Your work has spurred me on a few occasions, and this'll be another example. I've had a headless/handless Skiff Master and an armless Sharad Hett bangin' around in the fodder bin for way too long. Once I finish some of the dreck I'm working on, my next project is lined up. Thanks!

Thank you very much for the compliment! That means a lot. And I owe several of my customs to you thanks to the parts you generously gave me. Can’t wait to see yours!

Reaction score
Actually, you can't quit just yet. He's all wrong. He is sleeveless, with feathered trim on his (longer) jacket arms, wearing leather bracers twice as long, and NO GLOVES.

The gloves wouldn't take,
you have to remake.

I also think he has some serious eye make-up but that could be shadows.

(we see his hand briefly during the Rancor fight; very well when he takes a drink from R2 on the barge, and again when he flees the barge.

I like to think he carries gloves around and puts them on and off!

Part of me thinks he’ll look fine standing in a crowded palace and those details won’t be noticed. But then part of me thinks ah crap. You know how to get me. I’m too much of a perfectionist to not address it. Like when I did the aqualish guy using fixer’s body and you told me about how the aqualish outfit is shared by the other guy so I redid the aqualish guy from the ground up.

Do you have any better pictures? Pics or it didn’t happen!

Reaction score
I think regarding the longer sleeves I was thinking I could pretend he rolled his sleeves up. I had a piece I was going to try and cut to make the puffy sleeves but the texture wouldn’t match and would throw off the nice quilted look. Absent any pictures that give a clearer look I think I may stick with the rolled up getting down and dirty look which is why he needed gloves, lol.

Utinniii

Reaction score

There is some chest detail as well. I would watch the scene before you make it as there are different angles/ details showing.

OH!, When Luke enters, he sees into the chamber and he is standing alone so you can get a good profile of him. I have never tried pressing Miliput into fabric, but that might be a way to sculpt the coat.

Last edited:

Utinniii

Reaction score
Here's another pic of his bracer.
Also, to me, it looks likes he has some Ziggy Stardust going on. Lots of blue with a red blotch/birthmark.

Reaction score

There is some chest detail as well. I would watch the scene before you make it as there are different angles/ details showing.

OH!, When Luke enters, he sees into the chamber and he is standing alone so you can get a good profile of him. I have never tried pressing Miliput into fabric, but that might be a way to sculpt the coat.

As always, very impressive resource gathering!

I sat down to reassess him the other night, and I think I'll paint the hands flesh, do the bracers which in that one batch of photos you posted looks like it has some rivets on them which can add a little interest. I see what you mean about maybe some makeup on his face but I've seen other photos where it doesn't look like, so I'm going to lean towards not. I like the look and texture of the skiff master outfit which has the perfect pattern which matches up with this guy's outfit. I have one part that I thought could have possibly worked for extending the sleeves, but then as it turns out I don't have enough of it, and the texture would be all wrong and not match up. Maybe a little fur trim where the puffy sleeve stops and the "rolled up" lower part of the sleeve might add a good touch. Looking at the photos some more, I think it would be pretty accurate if I could extend the sleeves, and the best way I could see doing that is if I had the shoulders or tunic of another skiff master that I could hollow out and wrap around the arm and then add a little trim. That would be pretty close I think.

I sent some pictures of my custom to a friend of mine and then pointed out some of the corrections you pointed out and he was like, "you're going to talk yourself into doing them, aren't you?" And I was like, "yes. sigh."

Just when I thought I was done....

Reaction score
Awwwwwww crap. So now I’m planning to do some 6” customs so help me.

When I saw today the potf2 cantina showdown set was available I ordered two of them cause I was like well that would be pretty cool to display next to my 6” Jabbas palace dio. And then I was like, welllll, it would be really easy to make that spacer that’s wearing the bossk outfit…oh and then it would be super easy to make boshek too…and then I thought of a couple of other customs I could make using the ceremony luke figure. And THEN I was like well I could order two of the Lando skiff figures and make the guards that have similar outfits. Damnit. I swore I would never, EVER do 6” customs. But then I swore I would never do 3.75” customs and we see how that turned out.

So now I gotta finish up that security dude which I have all the parts for, just need to do it and then get working on the 6” stuff.

I think it’s my defense mechanism against all the price increases and the news that all the stuff I collect, Star Wars both scales, marvel legends, gi Joe 6” and I’m sure the upcoming Indiana Jones stuff will all be windowless which is a dealbreaker for me unfortunately. So this is my version of curling up in the fetal position and rocking back and forth apparently.

So anyone know of good 6” scale astronaut helmets and werewolf heads?

Reaction score
Check out whitestoysds on eBay.

Thanks, I’ll check that out. I also got a tip on fb about a site that sells all kinds of custom heads and torsos for a lot of different patrons and henchman and I was like noooooo there are too many options!!!

Reaction score
I've been trying out some 6" customs, it's slow going cos it's much more expensive and difficult to acquire enough fodder material but the ideas are definitely there for me. Picked up several figures from other realms (an Avatar figure and WWF wrestler) and it may take years before I have finished some of the things I've got in mind but it'll eventually be worth it to have some neat stuff in that scale. Don't sweat it if you're looking to work on the bigger scale man, there's also a ton of really well done stuff to see what may work that customizers have already cranked out. I don't know of any Astronaut helmets or wolfman headsculpts but I've always got my eyes peeled. Will let you know if I ever see anything.