Darkknight’s Customs

I figured we were close to getting to the point where people could modify 3D files as such! These new programs are really great! Your customs just keep getting better and better.
Thank you!!!

The program I’ve been using is called sculptris and it’s free. It works pretty well but there are times when it’ll crash itself repeatedly which gets frustrating. It’s kind of cool cause you can start out with a ball as if it were a ball of clay and then make whatever you want out of it and then print it! I wonder if that’s how some people make the 3D files they use. Or you can import an existing file and then modify it which is what I did. I wouldn’t even try sculpting a figure from a ball from scratch!

Finally finished 6” Gailid. I kind of lost some enthusiasm while making him but in the end I think it turned out all right. He’s definitely going to be on the shorter side but I suppose it’s okay to have some variety and not have everyone be the same height.

57727301-5DF5-4089-9CA5-9700C7D2AD5D.jpeg

8E43D26C-158E-4682-A22C-9A9034BBD772.jpeg

0763F55A-9C79-4374-8F99-48F8AD60B70E.jpeg

And since I mixed a large amount of the paint for the 6” version I kind of sort of felt compelled to paint my two 3.75” Gailids as well. Also for both the 3.75” versions and the 6” version I dremeled off the hood on the back and some of the other things like cylinders and datapads.

Here’s what it looked like:

4A64D3E9-1152-4948-A8D4-B382A95CDBEB.png

And here’s how they ended up:

F09608DC-B4EA-4F43-AD30-390D84D7E8F6.jpeg

I hate it when I loss enthusiasm mid project. Happens often for me. That's why I tend to have a box of WIP that i will eventually knuckle-down and get it all done.

These look great though! I'm sure they display great!

I hate it when I loss enthusiasm mid project. Happens often for me. That's why I tend to have a box of WIP that i will eventually knuckle-down and get it all done.

These look great though! I'm sure they display great!

Thank you!

Yeah, I was like okay I’m getting really behind on tv shows…there are a couple of other customs I want to knock out…must…finish…

I think part of it was I thought it was going to be a really quick project but then it turned out to be more involved (meaning a lot longer!) than I had anticipated

You may be the only person to make a 6” version of that figure. Even if not, it’s a rare figure indeed!

Okay, NOW I’m done with Gailid. Finally. After looking at the pictures of him I had to concede that the headgear and holster I painted was too brown. So I redid the paint to be more accurate. And then I saw his hair is pretty much black and since repainting the headgear darker made it look close to the color of his hair, I painted his hair black to match up to the photos from the movie. I did this on both scales.

3EDA86BF-EE4F-4BBE-B695-AFBA09E60B69.jpeg
E5E6DBBE-69B9-4886-ACDB-7EE88B88BA39.jpeg
6F6AB2D3-C04C-4315-B965-F9EA8968F13A.jpeg

6” weequay skiff master.

This is a combination of a 3D file for a retro style figure (the torso, upper arms and skirt) upscaled to 6” with a head I ordered and then DJ’s lower arms and bodhi rook’s legs. I did the best I could. Not quite exactly how I envisioned it was going to look in my head but it is what it is.

55A878AE-211D-4AC8-80F1-DBAB659FB04A.jpeg
9B482CE6-4643-453F-B6C8-DDF7BA82BBC8.jpeg
A16B6F12-D643-4D86-9EDA-A0DCCB8BD012.jpeg

I think his left side is his good side! It does look better in person and for some reason I can’t get a good picture of him head on.

24BA727C-0EE7-4165-A180-95D4B53FADDF.jpeg

Okay, as much as I wanted to move on and finish up my last few 6” customs I had to give the skiff master a leg upgrade. It bugged me how short he was. He was the same height as the Gailid I made and that guy used the rose tico body! The skiff master should not be short. I’m glad I did it though. I feel it looks much better and more imposing.

First version:

1D2D5736-5859-4C36-A7D7-FE5E58CD29D0.png

Second version:

EE44B917-3790-4904-9FE4-24996DE87AF5.jpeg

Leg extension:

96C05196-ADD5-4400-AC93-0B6C24E6F07F.jpeg

Comparison with Gailid who he was originally the same height as:

DDC754D7-6236-48E6-AA11-02C0C0C87468.jpeg

How did you create the belt for the tunic?
I would like to hear which parts you used from which figures since I'm not familiar with the 6" line.

How did you create the belt for the tunic?
I would like to hear which parts you used from which figures since I'm not familiar with the 6" line.

Here’s the before painting “prototype.”

EB5DEF07-2F70-4EFA-B41B-6783876DB502.jpeg

5F331FC8-CDF4-4EB7-87FE-4EB65529897D.jpeg

The torso and head I bought online. The legs are shortened Lando general legs. The hands are from galen erso. The arms are tibidon obi wan from target. The holster is from Lando general. The skirt is from the ANH obi wan robes. And the belt is also made from cutting a strip off the ANH obi wan robes. The strips hanging down are cut from the Solo young Lando figure’s cape and the little knot is just from a scrap I had on my table that I smoothed down and then after I painted it cut a couple lines into it to give it a little bit of a knotted look.

6” Vedain. Don’t know why I thought this one was going to be straightforward. It was a pain! I had no idea he has so many little color variations. I had to custom mix TWELVE different colors for him!

The arms are from Lando general, the legs are DJ (Canto Bight) and the head and torso are from a kit from online and started out completely white. I forgot to take a before picture. The head cast I got has a wonky eye so I did the best I could with painting it. Just like a real Hasbro figure!!

91B49A73-C0F2-4846-BE86-39E23247DDAC.jpeg
0E2D5E0E-55DB-48EF-A3F4-1374A78BEADC.jpeg
9670FC0B-6AC0-4EC5-81FF-DADE95C0D5A3.jpeg
6EBAFF8B-5804-4D5F-B8C8-88C33930E28A.jpeg
2C5F7441-D7C0-4204-BBC6-30EE0B9CBCAC.jpeg
DBBAF6FC-38C8-4BCD-B4DC-B306A79A6F58.jpeg
4BCE58C1-F737-4FA6-8DEA-8876194F98D9.jpeg

Yeah, you keep elevating levels. It’s really cool to watch you get more and more pro. That Vedain is on another level entirely. Dude, truly, you’ve entered into something 1%.

Yeah, you keep elevating levels. It’s really cool to watch you get more and more pro. That Vedain is on another level entirely. Dude, truly, you’ve entered into something 1%.

Thank you so much!!! That means a lot!!

Here’s the before painting “prototype.”

View attachment 454274

View attachment 454275

The torso and head I bought online. The legs are shortened Lando general legs. The hands are from galen erso. The arms are tibidon obi wan from target. The holster is from Lando general. The skirt is from the ANH obi wan robes. And the belt is also made from cutting a strip off the ANH obi wan robes. The strips hanging down are cut from the Solo young Lando figure’s cape and the little knot is just from a scrap I had on my table that I smoothed down and then after I painted it cut a couple lines into it to give it a little bit of a knotted look.
That’s great work. The pieces all mesh well and the finished piece is one I’d be proud to place in my cantina. Wicked nice

This was the process for making hammerhead and it was an interesting one and something I’d never done before.

I could have bought a kit online for $75, but where would the fun be in that? Especially if there was a way to make one at a fraction of the cost. Or maybe. I didn’t keep track of all the costs!

I started out buying an extra Momaw nadon and took it apart.

C506E3F5-BB70-4E78-A80D-9021287E638E.jpeg

I then used an app on my phone to scan each part into a 3D file. This took several tries to get them to turn out right. I then discovered the scanned files had no details on them so I had to use another program to go in and add every single line, crease, pouch, rope belt, etc.

The screenshot shows how there was no detail at all on the scanned part:

3F415F2E-6845-4BE0-8087-74531A6FF1C9.png

I then 3D printed each part one at a time at my library. This took several trips! But I ended up with these:

7499CE39-54FB-4DE7-BE0F-92561B040BD4.jpeg

I then assembled the pieces by having to make some modifications to them and got this:

FCF913BA-8A93-41F6-A993-B322EB30C196.jpeg

And then the painting. It was fairly easy to paint him color wise.

18C7A84E-80ED-4967-9151-6B6ACE1AD00E.jpeg

It was a fun process, and now I’ve got an even bigger one I’m attempting.

Thank you for sharing the whole process. I love seeing the thought and work out into these awesomw customs!

I'm curious about your scanning app and will have to look into that whole concept.

Great job on Hammerhead!!

Thank you for sharing the whole process. I love seeing the thought and work out into these awesomw customs!

I'm curious about your scanning app and will have to look into that whole concept.

Great job on Hammerhead!!

Thank you!!

The app I used is called Qlone. It’s a “free” app however if you want to send yourself the files so you can print them or send them to someone else to print you have to upgrade by paying $20 so it’s pretty dishonest calling it “free” but I’ve had pretty good luck with it. It’s how I made the 6” amanaman staff and skeleton.

Then the program I used for adding the details is called sculptris. And it’s pretty easy to use but you have to save constantly cause there are times when it will crash like every time you make a change. This one is free.

I redid wol cabbashite. Now that I learned how to use the program to add details to 3D files I wanted to redo it. I think it looks better. Still not perfect, but definitely more visually appealing.

1F731B09-CF15-43FE-B349-8B596CBEEFE9.jpeg
49E25E5E-CDD8-4A07-866A-103E65799A66.jpeg
3A21F025-CB1F-405A-9AA3-34E9D247A8D0.jpeg
AF08AC15-022A-43A1-9A94-619367914D83.jpeg

And here is a comparison between the first one I did (on the right) and the new one (on the left). The new one is bigger which I hadn’t planned or expected.

67765B1F-4DBD-4C7D-8C63-56A0DA67ED48.jpeg

I redid wol cabbashite. Now that I learned how to use the program to add details to 3D files I wanted to redo it. I think it looks better. Still not perfect, but definitely more visually appealing.

View attachment 455935
Some GREAT work lately. Your work has always been quite good, but seeing how each new skill makes noticeable improvements is really amazing to see in real time!

Also...is that a Legend of Zelda map printout I see? 👀

Some GREAT work lately. Your work has always been quite good, but seeing how each new skill makes noticeable improvements is really amazing to see in real time!

Also...is that a Legend of Zelda map printout I see? 👀

Thank you very much!!

And your eyes do not deceive you! A 3D map of the overworld is my current project while I’m waiting for some other stuff to print. I wondered if anyone would notice!

15736148-2549-480E-99FD-AD746EDDB444.jpeg

This is going to be a nightmare to paint…

WOW, I love that idea!! I inherited my brother's copy of the game and the map that came with the instruction booklet. It was all filled in in pencil and pen, and scotch taped together, and still is a treasure. As such, this project really resonates with me.

That task will definitely put the "pain" in "paint." I almost wonder if it would be easier to print it in layers, painting each one individually, but that would just move the nightmare from painting to gluing each tree and rock down. Regardless, you'll do well; please keep us posted!

WOW, I love that idea!! I inherited my brother's copy of the game and the map that came with the instruction booklet. It was all filled in in pencil and pen, and scotch taped together, and still is a treasure. As such, this project really resonates with me.

That task will definitely put the "pain" in "paint." I almost wonder if it would be easier to print it in layers, painting each one individually, but that would just move the nightmare from painting to gluing each tree and rock down. Regardless, you'll do well; please keep us posted!

I've taken a little break from it, but I need to keep the momentum going! I found some parts are going to be easier to paint than I thought, but there are also going to be an awful lot of very tedious parts, like when an area has lots of individual bushes or tombstones and things like that. Ugh. I am looking forward to seeing it when it's done, and hopefully it looks good! And it's nice to find other people who appreciate the original Zelda. I read some Zelda sites to keep tabs on things and I always see in the comments people are like the best Zelda is OOT and the original NEVER gets mentioned. And then when it does get mentioned people complain about hard it is and I'm like, well if this isn't a "hold my beer" moment! I love the 3D Zeldas, but to me the overhead ones are my favorites. I remember playing Zelda for the first time, there was just nothing like it! I can burn a bush with a candle and find a staircase? With a bomb I can blow up rocks and find hidden areas? I can use a whole lot of tools? There just wasn't anything like it. By the time OOT came out there were a ton of similar games, but that first Zelda, that was a game changer and it deserves more respect than it gets. Now get off my lawn you whippersnappers and go play the original Zelda! Lol! I would however love to see the original done in third person perspective.

Oh, and I think I've distracted myself further from finishing the map project because I've got one major grand finale in the works for my Jabba's palace diorama which I think I may crank out first...

The Jabba extras are great, the work on Hammerhead is neat because of the process but I think my favorite is Snaggletooth.

On account of the library being closed on Sunday for Easter, they’ve agreed to let me do a 3 day 11 hour print job over the weekend.

I am VERY excited about this one!!!

Back