Dark Empire.....my thoughts

G

I was reading Dark Empire the other day, and I realized how HORRIBLE it is. The story is you say described it to a friend, sounds really cool, BUT if you actually read it, you almost want to weep. The narration is simply idiotic. You can tell the writer didn't really have a strong sense of the characters which I kind of understand since all he had were the movies to go on and not a whole rich enviornment of the EU. After all DArk Empire along with the Thrawn Trilogy were the begining of the Modern EU.

But still it is written so amateurishly I can't believe it.

Reaction score
Finally someone agrees with me, Miktan! A lot of folks really revere Dark Empire I think, because it was the first SW comic in so many years. It came about not long after Heir to the Empire when fans were still absolutely starved for Star Wars but like you, I think the writers had pretty a pathetic grasp of the characters, themes, and overall tone of the Triolgy. The things the characters say (Leia in particular) is just wrenching! It was so bad I never even read DE2.

IMO, Dark Horse's best work is coming out now in books like SW Tales.

G

I totally agree w/ you guys. I see others praising both DE and DEII, and it makes me want to vomit. I thought both were just plain bad...

Could someone that actually liked these series please defend them, if thats possible?

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions regarding DEII, I have the Audio Drama, (which is pretty bad BTW) but have not really read the comics.

First, why the hell is Lando on the cover of issues 5 and 6 if he's never in the story? On Issue #5 he appears with the droids and a Rancor. What?!?

Second, is the Zev that Wedge talks to supposed to be the same one that died in the battle of Hoth? I thought he said Zev, but could be mistaken. Anyway, if he does say Zev, it's either a blazing continuity error or lack of creativity on the author's part.

Reaction score
I thought the story was horrible....but the artwork was pretty cool.

------------------
My name would be MattFury...if I could type!

"There's no mystical energy field that controls MY destiny! It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense!" - Han Solo

G

Answers to your questions:

Lando is actually in the issue. He is leading the Rebels in the battle with the "Dark Side Creatures" Which look enough like Rancors but are not exactly Rancors.

It is Zev that Lando refers to, but if memory serves the character is younger than that "old Bantha" Zev Senesca. So it is just another character with the same First name.

Reaction score
Hmm, I guess my Audio Drama is abridged or something, Lando was never in it. Thanks for the answers.