Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
What I don’t get is the General dies but he is the Garthim Master and Emperor in the film so ... ? He comes back to life at some point?
  Spoiler:  

Interestingly, The Skeksis in the original film do not match up with the Netflix counterparts.
TDC had a Treasurer and a Slave Master (DCAOR did not) and according to Wiki, The General was named SkekUng.
I suck at names and numbers so someone else might understand this.
At some point they say how many otherworlders came to Thrah.
At another point several names were mentioned as Skeksis that were not in the castle. IDK if they were Skeksis we’ve met not currently there; or one’s we had yet (at that point) to meet.
During the time of DCAOR, no Gelfling knew Skeksis were mortal. However, I think it was implied that one Skeksis had died before. (Am I correct?)
By my count, there were at least 13 Skeksis accounted for. 14 if one had passed already, and 15 if the position of The General was held by 2 different skeksis. If there were 2 generals, then a possible continuity error is fixed.
EDIT: The movie General was one of the names mentioned and suggested not to be invited back to the castle so there were in fact, 2 generals.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The general in Age of Resistance is SkekVar, a different character than the general in the movie, SkekUng. There were 18 total Skeksis / Mystics - some alive, others not. Characters from the original movie, such as
SkekUng the Garthim Master still exist in the shows timeline, he's just "off screen", etc.

I completed the series - its something else...never thought they could expand upon the wonder of the movie - they did. I highly recommend watching one episode at a time - you can get lost in the visuals alone.

Reaction score
Okay cool. I see that someone has updated the wiki with this information. Last weekend it said they were one and the same. Good to know. Thank you.

I think the Heretic said there were 18 originally.

Spoiler:  
So the Hunter/Archer are dead. So are the General and the Collector and whoever their counterparts were. That leaves 15.

Emperor
Chamberlain
Scientist
Gourmand
Scroll Keeper
Ritual Master
Heretic

Who am I missing?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Okay cool. I see that someone has updated the wiki with this information. Last weekend it said they were one and the same. Good to know. Thank you.

I think the Heretic said there were 18 originally.

Spoiler:  
So the Hunter/Archer are dead. So are the General and the Collector and whoever their counterparts were. That leaves 15.

Emperor
Chamberlain
Scientist
Gourmand
Scroll Keeper
Ritual Master
Heretic

Who am I missing?

Generals 1 &2,
Collector,
Hunter,
Ornamentalist,
Unnamed Dead ones
and from the movie, Slave Master
Treasurer

So we have 3 we have never seen or heard of. A new season could expand on them.
I added 7 more inside your spoiler.

Reaction score
Cool thanks! I was drinking last night and couldn’t remember them all

Reaction score
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeksis

Here is the list of characters from the movie, series, and books. They have titles and names for them all, but I believe two of them died right after the Great Divide, as seen in the Creation Myths graphic novels. Detailed pictures can be found here:

https://darkcrystal.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Skeksis

Reaction score
It’s very solid. Wouldn’t call it altogether great— but it’s such a refreshing brand of classic fairy tale storytelling of old that’s all but missing in these neutered times. I appreciate how unapologetically dark they’re willing to go. Oddly, as complex as it seems-- it’s still not quite as mature as the OG movie.

The old-world artistry behind the puppetry is to be admired— much like Travis Knight’s supreme stop-motion animation artistry. Except unlike Travis’ always gorgeous aesthetics for his production, Age Of Resistance can look too over-designed and in that sense, unnecessarily jumbled and cluttered at times.

It’s odd how despite its ambitious and wide wide wide worldbuilding sensibility, this world of nearly-10hrs worth of story looks and feels smaller than the one of the movie. That was always a problem I had with The Dark Crystal movie— although they did give the perception of time traveled with some short montages. Here, characters pop in and out of destinations like everyone’s got their personal Concord.

There are certain story elements that feel so contrived, so convenient, that gives the impression it’s a tad lazy just to move the story along. And the end battle resembles an after school fight at the local park rather than a climatic, epic battle. Jabba had more goons going up against the heroes than the battle here LOL

It’s a noble effort and the passion of storytelling and creativity/imagination/artistry is obviously there. But the results seems to be coming short of the magic of the movie. Although to the credit of the showrunners, the comedy relief of Hup, The Collector, and The Heretic iis actually hilarious, with The Heretic being one of the most awesome and the best thing on the show.