Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Reaction score
Very excited about this prequel debuting on Netflix. Can’t wait to see Aughra and the skeksis back.

Reaction score
When does this debut? I am very excited to see this, now we need Netflix Willow sequel. Petition!!!! lol

Reaction score
It’s a 10-Episode series that will debut sometime in 2019. Jim Henson’s company, as well as Brian Froud, are heavily involved. The voice talent includes Mark Hamill, Anya Taylor-Joy, Alicia Vikander, Toby Jones, Jason Issacs, Helena Bonham-Carter, Natalie Dormer, and more too numerous to list.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, seems like I've been waiting for this for much longer than possible. Announced a year ago, but feels like it's been five.

Also, i can assume that since he wasn't listed in the top ten. That Andy's Circus isn't involved?

This is one of the reasons I really like Netflix. Be nice if they were to resurrect several older shows, such as Babylon 5 Movie or Farscape.

Reaction score
It’s strictly puppetry...not motion capture, as far as I understand what I’ve read...or were you speculating about Andy Serkis providing a voice?

Reaction score
Those still shots alone look fantastic. I've loved DC for ages, and I'm so happy to see this revival. I thought when they introduced the action figures and comic series that would be as good as it gets, but this is on another level. Since the screenplay for Power of the Dark Crystal was started and stopped so many times, and dragged out ad nauseam, I never believed we'd see this world explored on screen again. I'm looking forward to this series just as much as Episode IX!

Reaction score
Many of us feel the same way
Those still shots alone look fantastic. I've loved DC for ages, and I'm so happy to see this revival. I thought when they introduced the action figures and comic series that would be as good as it gets, but this is on another level. Since the screenplay for Power of the Dark Crystal was started and stopped so many times, and dragged out ad nauseam, I never believed we'd see this world explored on screen again. I'm looking forward to this series just as much as Episode IX!

Reaction score
From left to right: Looking like the typical 1st-year Liberal Arts stoner at any given American college; looks like a CG-Kim K as a Gelfling; finally— creepy, otherworldly and still rightfully ancient. Very true to Jim’s puppetry aesthetic and Brian’s artistic style for that world. More of #3, please. (Hoping it's all-new characters, and Aughra isn't back. Let’s stop leaching onto the past…)

Thanks jedisquared.

Reaction score
Actually, it’s a prequel about 3 new gelflings on a quest...and sorry, Aughra IS back.

Reaction score
Aughra is an essential element, she's one of the building blocks of the planet Thra, I'm glad she's returning. She's also easily one of my favorite characters - the design, voice, personality, backstory - its all fantastic.

Reaction score
She’s a great presence in the original story, no doubt. But this new story didn’t need to include her. They’re including her because as usual with this era in franchises, they’re afraid to take any creative risks and tell new stories with new characters, and always rely on the familiarity of proven old favs to ensure brand recognition.

People have accused the main character from the OG story of being bland and forgettable. I thought he was fine. It’s a very sombre, and simple story that’s true to its old-world fairy tale roots, and Jenn fits into that very unique old-fashion tone and not the brand of gimmicky, everyman Hollywood-trope. Jim’s vision felt like something from another era, another time and for that, the story and the visuals have remained timeless. That’s the essence of The Dark Crystal that I hope will be in this new era. And that's why I adore The Dark Crystal and loathe the insufferably-dated Labyrinth.

Last edited:
Reaction score
She’s a great presence in the original story, no doubt. But this new story didn’t need to include her. They’re including her because as usual with this era in franchises, they’re afraid to take any creative risks and tell new stories with new characters, and always rely on the familiarity of proven old favs to ensure brand recognition.

People have accused the main character from the OG story of being bland and forgettable. I thought he was fine. It’s a very sombre, and simple story that’s true to its old-world fairy tale roots, and Jenn fits into that very unique old-fashion tone and not the brand of gimmicky, everyman Hollywood-trope. Jim’s vision felt like something from another era, another time and for that, the story and the visuals have remained timeless. That’s the essence of The Dark Crystal that I hope will be in this new era. And that's why I adore The Dark Crystal and loathe the insufferably-dated Labyrinth.
I agree with everything you said. Only difference is I do still like Labyrinth. Which interestingly, I didn't see, until I was an adult. Not to get too far afield off-topic, but, I've long maintained that the farting sound the stones make in the bog of eternal stench was solely (and I have no evidence to back this up) the creative decision/suggestion of... one of... the executive producers. One who years later might find humor in, oh, I don't know, farting beasts of burden called Eopies, or perhaps stepping in some icky icky poo.:hmm:

Reaction score
Wow...have you actually read the new story...that’s a bit premature don’t you think. Her character is ancient...it makes sense she would lend knowledge or advice to the new characters.

Reaction score
^^^ I appreciate she's ancient. Doesn't mean she needs to be in this new series.

I agree with everything you said. Only difference is I do still like Labyrinth. Which interestingly, I didn't see, until I was an adult. Not to get too far afield off-topic, but, I've long maintained that the farting sound the stones make in the bog of eternal stench was solely (and I have no evidence to back this up) the creative decision/suggestion of... one of... the executive producers. One who years later might find humor in, oh, I don't know, farting beasts of burden called Eopies, or perhaps stepping in some icky icky poo.:hmm:
Did you happen to watch Labyrinth with your kids, Pete? A dad will always be more tolerant of anything if their child (mostly a daughter) finds joy in it. It’s the only reason why adult men put up with Frozen.

I adore David Bowie, but I can’t stand to watch him in his 80s-pop/glam drag as The Goblin King. Labyrinth just feels and looks like an expensive, extended Muppet (Variety) Show guest staring Bowie, run amuck. And an inexperienced Jennifer made Jake Lloyd look like a natural.

I’m not even phased by fart/poop gags, those are the least of Labyrinth’s problems. Apparently, it’s funny to the kiddies… and I’d imagine it will still remain funny to the kiddies 100 years from now. Labyrinth just drags, and nothing of consequence is ever shown beyond slapstick. I get people loving it for that brand of PG-rated cheap thrills and for it’s musical numbers: It’s harmless nostalgia camp that doesn’t really push the art of puppetry. And as an adult man who can’t stand musicals and musical numbers, it’s so unbearably flimsy not just conceptually, but visually. If I’m in a generous mood, I’d say it’s.. cutesy fluff.

The Dark Crystal feels and looks like an adult fairy tale that dares the adventurous kiddies to experience it. It's just visually uncomfortably, unfamiliar, twisted, creepy, nightmarish— and still ethereal, otherworldy-beauitful, visionary, and thank God— not a single musical number. I mean, even the soundtrack is unsettling. And at its core, it’s just a simple story. It’s the exact same reason ANH remains so potent. Simplicity is eternal.

(Can’t say I’m excited about this new series. I’m absolutely open to it though. I hope it remembers to be expensive and daring like the original. I’ll say the same about the new SW series.)

Reaction score
ANH is potent because it “borrowed” from Joseph Campbell , f@iry tales, Grimm, The Searchers, Grail lore, Kurosawa, Westerns, Hidden Fortess, Hans Christian Anderson, and half a dozen other sources. Sorry you’re let down by concepts of a series that isn’t even on yet. My gut feeling is you’re going to be disappointed no matter what they do. How is Aughra any different than Yoda by the way? She may not be that big a component of this sequel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Aughra's presence might boil down to Yoda's appearance in TLJ, brief but meaningful. I actually prefer she maintain a strong presence, because I think she binds all the DC stories together, but that's just me. For the next generation of fans that haven't seen DC, including Aughra is all the more important. Introducing her, the Skeksis, and Mystics, will help the new fans fall in love with the story the way we did as kids. She's an overpowering personality, but I think she'll add to the development of new characters, not take anything away. Even if she becomes a scene stealer, I think she's just as important, if not more than the new characters - lets be realistic, she existed long before and long after the reign of both the Gelfling and the Skeksis.

On another note, is anyone interested in seeing a company explore merchandise for the series? Funko did a great job with the POPs for DC and Labyrinth, and the Reaction line of 3.75 action figures were nothing short of amazing.

Reaction score
I wish I’d gotten a lot of those DC figures when they were at Toys R Us...just amazing. Didn’t have any room to display them. Funny, I just picked up the 7.88 Blu-ray of Dark Crystal at Walmart not that long ago. I have a studio press kit up for sale on eBay under jonthejedi.

Reaction score
No link...put in Dark Crystal Age of Resistance. It’s the one with the Netflix logo...doesn’t show much.

Reaction score
Ah, ok cool. That one's been up for about a year, I wasn't sure if there was another one yet or not.

Reaction score
That teaser wasn’t even necessary. I hope they don’t reveal anything until moments leading up to the series’ premiere. The Dark Crystal has always been this understated darkhorse that’s been absolutely about pure creativity and passion— which is all but gone in this age of corporate, manufactured, trendy, hollow hype. Keeping it close to their heart(s) is the way to go, and the less that’s revealed, the more intriguing the new offering will be.

Hoping the series will do its own thing and not follow any of the graphic novels. The Skeksis and the Mystics have always been the foundation of that world since without them, there would be no Dark Crystal, no conflict/urgency/resistance, so their inclusion is understandable to the importance of the new story (and I’d love to see a time when there were more of them— along with their earlier designs of them in their more benevolent stage). Aughra worked for me in the original story because she was more along the lines of the accidental tourist that became caught in this great conflict/battle by chance, but more or less remained neutral due to her self-preservational nature: She was the everyperson. To elevate her to some demigod (apparently she taught the Gelfling race everything they knew… WTF...) is just shrinking that world rather than expanding it. And the world of The Dark Crystal— as was shown in the original story, already felt rather compact and small already; which is understandable given the restraints of technology and likely tight budget. With CGI nowadays— along with a 10-episode timeframe, that world could open up to such immeasurable potential. And that includes all-new characters, new locations, new races, creatures etc.

Reaction score
Dark Crystal and Willow finally being recognized for the viable franchises they could have been back in the day. Now someone please do a Krull sequel.....

Reaction score
Yeah, great looking teaser! Though I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the CGI look for the characters. I'm sure it will grow on me, but it's very different from the Dark Crystal I'm used to.

Reaction score
Amazing - frankly the teaser looks as exciting as the movie. I'm so glad they're expanding this world on screen, considering its been limited to books for so many years. If this is a big success, perhaps they'll turn Power of the Dark Crystal into a Netflix feature as well. The comics were fun, but they didn't hit the mark. As for the characters, I thought they were all puppets, only some of the action shots and backgrounds are CGI from what I heard.

Reaction score
That was my understanding, too that the puppets were old school to honor Henson’s legacy and the ‘82 movie.

Reaction score
I'm eager to watch it, but I am still reading the final novel that leads up to the series - they released the book a few days before posting the episodes!

Reaction score
I almost took a "sick" day today for this, but alas I'm sitting in the office.

Gotta find time to watch asap.

Reaction score
Yeah, tell me about it. I just finished Titans on DCU, and gearing up for Season 2! So now I gotta find time for this, amongst all the other stuff I've got DVR'd. This does look good though!

Reaction score
It’s really good! Just finished.

Spoiler:  
So I’m assuming there will be a second season?

Utinniii

Reaction score
[Spoilerish]

I highly enjoyed the series. The puppetry was amazing and the world building was phenomenal. The characters were mostly great. Deet was my favorite although I wondered if the creators knew that Deet is a kind of mosquito repellent. I thought that was an unfortunate name for someone that loved animals in all their forms so much.

The Chamberlain was very fleshed out this time and was the best Skeksis. They were all great for atmosphere even if some didn't really contribute much to the plot. Only the Scroll Keeper and one other felt out of place. The other one though, was a delightful surprise even if they sounded like a character from The Princess Bride. The Emperor reminded me of Picard sometimes.

The music was also good. I love the original OST but it can be repetitive. I didn't feel that this time. I'd have to hear it again to form an opinion though.
The story was better than OK. It is hard to create a moving story when we know that any characters that weren't in the original probably die (spoiler:and I was wrong about that!). Like in Rogue One, we know that by the start of the original, everyone will be dead. However, I was moved many times. Stupid tear inducing muppets!!!

The thing I enjoyed least was the narration in the beginning. It was still better than the dreadful original though. It was also mercifully short. I also understand that is was necessary.

IDK the answer to Greedo737's spoiler. Nothing official has been posted (I checked). I really want the answer to be yes although I don't think we really need a yes.

I will be rewatching it sometime this year. It was so much fun to watch.

Reaction score
  Spoiler:  
What I don’t get is the General dies but he is the Garthim Master and Emperor in the film so ... ? He comes back to life at some point?