Custom X-wing pilot helmet .45 scale

Reaction score
Started working on the custom x-wing helmets last week. Luke and Wedge just looked soooo lonely. Just wanted to show the progress of the Biggs helmet. Please be kind, first custom I've ever tried and still have a way to go. Planning on Porkins next. Then who knows from there. I know that I want to do Red Leader as some point.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Very nice! I always wished they did more of these. Are you using a custom cast copy or repainting one of the production ones?

Reaction score
Repainted one of the production ones. If I had the skill and money to cast all the parts I would have done that. I wish that they would have produced more also. It would have been nice if they did a blank or plain white one sor people to customize like mighty muggs did.

Reaction score
Looks a good attempt to me (so far), obviously as it's a work in progress I wont comment on anything specific..., not until you post the final version & then only if the things I've noticed still need looking at!!! ;) You can tell who's helmet it's supposed to be though & that's the main thing isn't it!?! :)

Reaction score
Looks a good attempt to me (so far), obviously as it's a work in progress I wont comment on anything specific..., not until you post the final version & then only if the things I've noticed still need looking at!!! ;) You can tell who's helmet it's supposed to be though & that's the main thing isn't it!?! :)
kev-go ahead and give some feed back now. If any thing jumps out at you let me know.

Reaction score
kev-go ahead and give some feed back now. If any thing jumps out at you let me know.
The yellow boarder around the checkered sections should be curved round with the checkered edges & there should be more black then in the corner sections..., if that makes sense???

There's a couple of pictures on the website below, would've put a picture on here but my computer is playing up (cookie problems)...

Original Rebel Pilot Helmets

Reaction score
Cool. Thats the same thing I was seeing. I rounded the edges last night and did a few other tweeks. I think the over all graphic was a little large but I'm just going to stick with it. I'll post some more pics later in the week. I think I may start weathering it this afternoon.

Reaction score
Finished and I'm pretty happy with the end result, with this being my first custom. Please give feel back. Planning on doing Porkins next then going to move on to Dak, Janson or Red Leader. Sorry about the size of the photos.

Finished Biggs
[/IMG]
Luke, Biggs and Wedge
[/IMG]

Side view
[/IMG]
In the case
[/IMG]

Reaction score
That is definitely a job well done..., looks good & I especially like the attention to detail regarding the scuffs on the helmet..., look forward to seeing your next custom X-Wing helmet & I recon Gold Leader should also be on your list of helmets to do!!! :)

Reaction score
Love that detolf display !

- if you ever decide you want to make more of these to sell - let me know - I would definitely be interested

Reaction score
Babylon- Who knows I may make more. Really having fun doing this. Couldn't wait until this weekend to start on Porkins.
Here it is so far.Think I may take the third "V" off and only have two towards the back of the horn. Let me know what ya'll think about it.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Reaction score
Agreed. Great job on this one!
Wouldn't it be nice if GG made mini busts of these pilots to go with the helmets!?

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is looking good too..., I think you should definitely loose the third V though as Porkins helmet only had 2 Vs on it afterall, your doing a great job with these helmets though, they look great!!! :)

QUESTION: How comes you didn't use the Master Replicas base when displaying the first helmet you made??? I know it probably has Luke's helmet printed on the front of it BUT you can get a plaque to stick over that & it'd look very good (I think)!!! :)

Reaction score
I just wanted to get it in the case. I'm planning on using the MR base when after I replace Luke with Biggs. I'd like to find another MR x-wing base for Porkins. I'm using a Riddell for his helmet.

Reaction score
So I finished Porkins. Just need to figure how I want to change the Skywalker to Porkins on the base.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Reaction score
another great job on the weathering - would love to see you tackle red leader's helmet!

Reaction score
I'm sure someone on this forum was advertising that they do plaques for these replica helmets, proper one's with the Star Wars logo..., I have seen them on ebay though, made to order..., perhaps a search for engraved plaques on ebay will get you what your after??? :)

Reaction score
Think I'm going to paint over Luke's name then do a waterslide decal for Biggs and Porkins names. I'l like to keep them looking all the same....minor case of OCD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
New set up...until I do another helmet, may be a bit, need to hunt down some more "stock". FYI. Red Leader will be the next helmet I do. I'm planning on making two of them and sending one to Drewe Henley. Here is the latest set up. Just for Kev- I put Biggs on a stand. Need to hunt down another MR base. I think I'll get two MRs and use the Riddell base on the helmet that I send to Mr. Henley. Now GG needs to get on the ball and make some more x-wing helmets and busts of the pilots. I think Wedge is one of the most requested characters. I'm still holding out for a Porkins bust, that fat ******* needs some love(this coming from a fat guy, so I can call him fat).
[/IMG]

Reaction score
Very nice display, looks great & the helmets look super..., very impressive!!! B) Nice to see Biggs on a proper stand, makes the helmet look better. ;) & although I prefer the Master Replica stands because of the little plaque area at the front, I recently got the Riddell versions of the Darth Vader & C3PO helmets & both of the stands are nice that come with them..., can understand your keeping all of the helmets on the same stands though, it does make them look better when all together, your then focusing on the differences between helmets rather than having your eyes drawn to a different stand from the others first. :)

Reaction score
Just ordered THREE more MR helmets. Planning on doing two Red Leader helmets, sending the second one to Mr. Henley, and Red 10. I'm hooked on doing these damn things!

Reaction score
Well your doing a good job customising the helmets SO I recon your enjoying doing them & thus it's a good thing your wanting to do more, there are lots to choose from afterall & probably NO chance Gentle Giant will ever make them so if you want them it's definitely a case of DIY!!! :)

Reaction score
Going to pick up paint this weekend for Red Leader and Red 10. I need to get some other eyes on this. On Red 10's helmet, what color is under the circle graphics? Black, dark green like Wedge or Gold Leader, gray or some other color? I've watched ANH three times last weekend and looked online for shots.
[/IMG]

and I think all of these will be made except the blast shield helmet, after Red 10 will be Red Leader then Red 9.

Reaction score
The lighting isn't that good when it comes to seeing what colour the helmet is really is it..., that's space for you though I guess!!! ;) Personally though, I'd say it's dark green like Wedge's helmet..., the 2 of them are together in your picture & there's more light on Wedges helmet so it does make it look slightly different colour wise BUT I believe it's just a lighting issue & that the colours are infact the same. :)

Reaction score
Just finished Red 10. Moving on to Red Leader next.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Reaction score
this thread keeps getting better and better! So sad that master replicas stopped making these after only 2 helmets. As you have shown, there are some great helmet designs out there to be made!

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing the Red Leader helmet, Red 10 looks great..., I think it's my favorite out of the one's you've done so far!!! :)

Reaction score
I haven't had anytime to work on Red Leader yet. I like the weathering on Red 10 better than Biggs and Porkins, I might go back and do some more weathering on them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finished Red Leader last night but phone died so I couldn't take pictures. I have one "blank" helmet left. The question is do I make Red 4 next or do I go ahead and make the other Red Leader I'm planning on sending to Drewe Henley?

Reaction score
That looks GREAT, very nicely done..., I'm very impressed with your customising skills!!! B) Personally I'd say make Red 4 next, another X-Wing helmet would be cool to see!!! :)

Reaction score
Thanks Kev-

Like I said earlier I had never done a custom before. Hell I never even did models as a kid. This makes me want to pick up a snowspeeder model and try doing one. Still torn if I should work on the Red Leader for Mr. Henley or move on to Red 4. Either way I need to spend some more $$ to get things set up.

Kev- I may need your help getting the Henley set up.

Reaction score
Wow! for a newbie at customizing - You have mad skillz! The red leader helmet might be your best work yet!

Reaction score
Wow! for a newbie at customizing - You have mad skillz! The red leader helmet might be your best work yet!
Thanks. I think I'm starting to get it down. I'm thinking about going back and redoing the Biggs and Porkins or at least do some more weathering.

Reaction score
When you say your going to do something with a snowspeeder, what are you thinking of doing..., Luke's actual snowspeeder or something else??? :) Still think you should do Red 4 next & to be honest I'd recommend caution regarding the Porkins & Biggs helmets you've already made/customised, they look great as they are & if you start playing around with them you run the risk of ruining them whilst in the search for perfection..., I like to think of myself as a perfectionist BUT I've ruined more than one thing in the past by trying to make it perfect (nothing Star Wars wise though). :|

Reaction score
Yes. I'm thinking of picking up a snowspeeder model and working on one. I think your right about the Biggs and Porkins, if I really want to redo them I may just start over with new helmets. Figure out which ones I like then reuse the other helmets for other characters or sell them off to fellow scummers.

Reaction score
Yes. I'm thinking of picking up a snowspeeder model and working on one. I think your right about the Biggs and Porkins, if I really want to redo them I may just start over with new helmets. Figure out which ones I like then reuse the other helmets for other characters or sell them off to fellow scummers.
I'd definitely like to see what you have planned for the snowspeeder, a decent weathering effect would certainly improve a standard release. :) The Luke helmets do seem to be pretty cheap still on ebay so I recon there's plenty you could get to make more custom helmets..., & what kind of price will you be looking for if you do decide to sell any of the helmets (just curious to know)??? :)