Custom Stormtrooper Helmet Interior Questions

Reaction score
I'm thinking about picking up one of the RS stunt helmet kits and building it with the inside components for kicks and grins...for reference:
Helmet Interior 1_zpsxfmwwjmd.jpg

Not sure what book that came from, but the parts can largely be found on 3D printing sites. I'd rather do them in metal parts, but I imagine they were fashioned from plastic for the above image. That said...I have a couple of questions....

The lines in the "teardrops" and the tubes are obviously meant to be vents...and I know that in Rogue One, they even went so far as to actually cut the vents out on the tubes.

Now, I know that in the movies, they were painted just for appearance, and in Rogue One, either for appearance or actually practical cooling of the actors. That said...in the Star Wars world...what would these really be? Since these helmets are supposed to be capable of being hermetically sealed, they couldn't be ventilation slits for cooling the actual face. Would they be meant for cooling the electronics? Would these pictured components be correct, or would it be more of a coil/tube with ridges that protruded through the slits?

Reaction score
I would think that they were there to cool the electronic components and that the cooling for comfort would occur within the hermetically sealed portion.

They look like a grill on an older model automobile which was used for cooling or at least air circulation for the components.

Utinniii

Reaction score
In concept art, they were sometimes attached to a back (air) tank. I suppose for the vacuum of space or particularly harsh atmospheres.

Reaction score
From Wookipedia:

Its reinforced combat helmet featured an integrated comlink,[6] audio pick-up, two artificial air-supply hoses, and a broadband communications antenna powered by a single power cell.[7] The helmet, affectionately known as "buckets" by Imperials but derisively known by that name by rebels,[8] featured built-in filtration systems that extracted breathable atmosphere from polluted environments.[2] The helmet's visual processor assisted the wearer in seeing in darkness, glare, and smoke,[1] though it limited the wearer's field of vision.[6] When firing a blaster, the helmet's visor polarized against the glare. A built-in heads-up display also provided targeting diagnostics, power levels and environmental readings at the corner of the wearer's eyesight, and one could access data on various military subjects and civilian organizations on the helmets display. In addition, motion sensors alerted the wearer to any enemy the soldier might have missed. Seeking to discourage nonessential chatter, which was strictly off-limits while on-duty, stormtrooper helmets recorded everything that was said by the user, sending it to monitors to review after downloading the data off of the armor's memory.[5]

Stormtrooper armor was capable of protecting its wearer in extreme environments, including deserts, forest, icy wastelands, and limited exposure to the vacuum of space.
And this is obviously the image the above is based on...
internals.jpg

I don't know who made the helmet they used for the book, but it's obviously an idealized one. When I zoomed in, I noticed that the vents in the tubes are actually cut out, and the 'tear drop' seems to be a plastic insert. Which is interesting, since I'm pretty sure this book predates Rogue One by several years. The tear drop vents appear to be cooling a sensor
Vents.JPG

So...unsurprisingly...it would appear the Empire could give a crap about a trooper's personal temperature regulation. That said, in the canon world, how do you suppose they hydrated? I have never seen any gear labeled as a canteen or flask, and I would almost expect to see a drinking tube inside the helmet similar to a military gasmask

Reaction score
FYI - the first image in the first post of this thread comes from a DK Star Wars reference book - back when the entire OT was published in one book. It had some great reference material, but I suspect it’s now well out-of-print.

Reaction score
I'll have to go digging in my tub of books from the 90s...I might have a copy, I haven't looked through them in nearly two decades

Reaction score
So...plugging away on this project...still doing research.

First, can anyone tell me the source of this image?
156355c813871a3f8fca9839bf86902f_preview_featured.jpg

So two different sources, two different setups for the ear pieces....trying to figure out which would be the most canon. Also, anyone have any idea what the yellow arrow is pointing at, canonically speaking?
032b2cc936860b03048302d991c3498f_preview_featured.jpg

Utinniii

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry too much about "cannon" as I'm sure several different diagrams or cross sections have been made over the years.
My biggest beef with most reference books is that the bulk of the book is based off the imagination of the writer and not the artists that created the works.
Use the elements you like.
You may also want to talk to the cosplay group 501? that is dedicated to the Imperials. They might have lots of good tips and suggestions.

Reaction score
The 'blueprint' image of the stormtrooper helmet is from the Riddell Mini Helmet replica series. The helmet has a fully detailed interior that would be perfect for reference. This was a great series of helmets that I think were underrated at the time.