Custom 6in Jabba's throneroom dio WIP

Reaction score
Hi Just wanted to share my custom 6in Jabba's throneroom dio. Some of you may remember by custom throne from a couple of years ago. Well I decide to expand on this and make his arch and back room to scale as close as possible. It is 33"X 24" and will feature lights as well.

Here's a pic with flash.

[/URL][/IMG]

And a few more without...

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

I plan on repainting the throne as I think it is too dark a gray and want to add some more texture for a more stone/concrete appearance. Once I complete the other side wall I will be gluing the back and sides down to the base. The arch that goes over Jabba will be next and I hope to build it removable for easy movement/placement. I had hoped that I had included enough space in front of the throne for the trap door but I may have cut it a bit short so I may be curtting the front edge back a little if I cannot fit the trap door to scale in the front area.

The bulk of the dio is made from 3/16" foamcore board with the steps being 5/8" smoothfoam boards. It's gonna be fun finding/making all the furniture and accessories that are present in this area. Luckily 1/12 dollhouse miniatures will come in handy.

Reaction score
That's looking good so far.

I remember the build!

What do you intend to do to prevent the foam board from warping once you plaster it? You may also want to reinforce the upper floor so it doesn't sag.

Will the arch be curved? If so, I look forward to seeing how you make it removable.

With regards to the trap door, I would just have the edge of it showing on the model. People will know what it is and it won't be to close to the dais.

Reaction score
Thanks. I will be coating the entire dio in a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water (prob 2 coats to be sure) and saw a youtube video where that say coating the bottom of the dio will counter act any warping. I also have some internal bracing under the back room floor so hopefully this will help prevent any warpage. Also, I am hoping the smoothfoam steps help in the stability department. After the glue/water mix I plan on using wall filler stippled on with a brush then shaped with a spatula to get the stucco appearance seen on the set.

As for the main arch being removable, well that's just the plan. Once I get the internal braces for the front curve of the arch and the back wall of the arch cut out I may find that I have to permanently attache it. Too soon to tell. Depends on how square my cuts are. lol.

I plan on including a portion of the wall on both sides of the throne arch to help support the front curve of the arch and want to include the window on the band stand side.

My fantasy is building the side room where the band stand stairs begin all the way back to Han's wall and include the side room where Jabba is hiding, but my god that dio would be enormous at this scale so I will probably just scale it back to the actual room where Han is hanging. Again my fantasy was to make these two pieces modular so that they could be displayed together but that display would take up the better part of a small to mid-sized room. I live in a small 1 br apt and I am thinking of converting my small dining room space into a display room for these two dios as well as my DeAgostini Falcon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Here's an update. I got the rear room back arch closed in and got the right side door/arch built and installed. I took a bit of artistic license in this area as it is soooo hard to see on screen or in behind the scenes photos. I also got the main arch built. I had to cut the inner arch piece in a couple of places to get it to fit the curve, but that's OK as I will just fill it in when I seal it and add the stucco layer. I think my cell phone camera kind of exaggerates the inner height of the main arch as it is not quite that high in person. Originally I had planned to leave the main arch as a removable piece for easier painting and moving around, but I may decide to glue it to the dio for some stability.

I will be cutting a hole out on the inside left of the main arch and adding the honeycomb pattern and green light in the future. I will install some nice small LED lights set you can buy at Hobby Lobby and install the power source behind the back wall.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Always love to see a Jabba's dio, especially one done so well. Keep up the good work!

Reaction score
Thank you. It has been a dream of mine for several years to make a jabba throneroom diorama. Just never thought it would be this big, lol

I sincerely hope hasbro releases bib Fortuna and the sly snootles band in 6inch cause I really want to expand this diorama to include the band stand and back room where han in carbonite rests.

Reaction score
That's got great details. Is it going to display a specific scene? Or is it going to be more fluid? :{J

Reaction score
Thank you. It's going to be more fluid depending on the figures Hasbro releases in the future. I have a 3D printed Oola figure off shapeways that I will definitely be setting on the throne, but there will be times that I have Leia displayed instead. The mauve protocol droid will be his translator from the Clone Wars TV show, so it will be all over the place, lol.

If we do get a 6in Bib Fortuna then this will most likely become the permanent display for my diorama, lol.

Reaction score
I've got a small update. I decided to build a second main arch as I though my original was too high and the front curve not curved enough.

I am using this image as reference.

After the fact, I still did not like the new arch so I went back to my original and cut it down by 1/2 inch and I think it looks much better.

Reaction score
Whoa, don't know how I missed this! Looks amazing o-o
Thank you for the encouraging words. This has been a dream project for many years.

I did cut down the main arch by another 1/4 inch and I think I am finally happy with it.

Now I have to patch the 2 cuts I had to make to fit the inner arch and then cut out the green grid light and find a greebly for that brass doodad near the green grid light.

Reaction score
I have decided to expand on my Jabba's throne room diorama. Under construction is the side room with bandstand and the back room where Han in carbonite hangs. It is currently built like Jabba's arch and back room with foam board and I will use smoothfoam sheets for the stairs. The 2 side rooms in the back room will not be be created at this time and I will just create the arch where Jabba is hiding and I will install the curtain for now. I can add the full room in the future along with the other side room with the stairs if Hasbro releases more figs from Jabba's palace in the future.

I will build the stairwell on the left partially (3 steps down to the diorama base) and try my best at the curved walls and ceiling. Next up is the next wall with the big arch leading back. When that is done the diorama will really come alive I think.

Reaction score
I have an update. I created the other door way arch opposite where Lando stands and also the next wall section with arch leading back to Han's trophy room. Next up is the arch for Jabba's hiding hole (lol) and back wall.

Reaction score
Got another update for those interested. I have started the back room wall where Han hangs and have cut out the exposed wall grids. For these I used some sheets of plastic grids used in needle work and cut the pieces out at 45 degree angles to mimic the honeycomb patter used on the set. To enhance this I drilled out the square holes to round holes which I think really mimics the honeycomb pattern well. You can also see that I cut out the exposed area on the inside of the large arch leading back to Han's trophy area. These sheets were basically 8.5 x 11 in multiple colors so I chose black to aid in the light blocking as most of these exposed areas are lit. The strip of foamboard along the ceiling is a temp stand in for the wood beams on the ceiling used on the real set. I will see if I can find some balsa wood at he right size as I would love to cut and stain the balsa to really bring the realism. I will be picking up more foamboard tonight to complete the wall and for Jabba's hiding room arch.

I also scratch built the window covering from a pic of the real set. It was not the best photo and the very bottom was obscured by a stage hand but I am very pleased with the outcome.

Reaction score
That is fan-friggin'-tastic! LOVE the window, the whole thing is amazing. This is an essential one and this is one of the best. The curves of the ceiling are difficult to even figure out, let alone render. I've done this set in wood but have yet to get those ceiling/spatial arrangements down. Keep it up.

Reaction score
Thank you yodashizzle, this has been such a blast to build! I had drawn up plans about 10 years ago to do this in 3.75 in scale but was not in the right frame of mind then. Now, fast forward to Hasbro's 6 in line and Jabba's release and I got the bug again. It all started with my custom throne then just exploded. I will say that this side rooms area has been a bit funner to build than Jabba's arch, lol. Tonight I am purchasing more foamboard to close the back side of the back wall and to make Jabba's hiding room arch. I will be making custom curtains for both sides in order to save space and the fact that there are not enough 6 in figures from Jabba's palace to place in these areas at the moment. Hopefully Hasbro will release some more down the line and if so I can expand these 2 areas if I so desire.

Reaction score
Most impressive! Especially the size! 6inch dios need a lot of space. But it looks already really awesome. Can't wait to see more of it :)

Reaction score
Thank you Spectreone, this has been so much fun to build.

I do have a small update. I have closed in the back wall alcove where Han hangs. I have a 5/8 inch thick sheet of smoothfoam installed and I am looking to purchase these ribs and I have contacted the seller to see if they will fit by alcove wall.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/GMV54ALB7/ribs-for-han-diorama-6-inch?optionId=42127312&li=marketplace

After looking over many photos of this scene and set piece, I believe that the center section has a small bump out as can be see in my dio. I first noticed this on Hasbro's upcoming Jabba's palace play set and then started checking reference. I think you can see the bump out on screen very clearly for just a second when Han and Leia are embracing after he drops to the floor after being thawed. For the floor grating I used the plastic sheet grid found in the knitting department at hobby lobby. The grid pattern seems to work very well at this scale. The sheets come in multiple colors but I thought black would aid in the light blocking. I built the cart before the horse so to speak when I cut the holes out without taking the pattern of the grid into account. So, I cut the grid pieces out slightly bigger than the holes so they sat on the base more securely but with them being nylon I am not sure how I will secure them to the base, mainly around the edges to prevent light leak? I may try hot glue??

Reaction score
Wow! What I see so far is very well put together, so I have no doubt it will look fantastic once it's painted!

Reaction score
Thank you Darth_Sceptaurus, it's coming along and I have another update.

I redid the grills on the alcove base that Han hangs in. I really wanted it to be flush with the base like in the movie so I found a more stiff, rigid plastic grid and found some backing board of the same thickness. I cut out new grills and used that to cut new slightly larger holes in the backer board to allow for a small shelf for the grills to rest on making them flush with the base. None of the walls in the rear area are glued down yet as I am still working out the lighting plan and don't want to block access to a few areas that have lights. I plan on using these railroad/diorama lights from Just Plug.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/JustPlugLightingSystem?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvojH4-vr4wIVVyQrCh10JQDoEAAYASAAEgIeX_D_BwE

I also built the arch that Jabba hides behind. It's a little rough around the edges but I will be sanding it a bit and it will be fine once the stucco layer goes go later.

And just for fun, a view from behind the arch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Looks amazing ! Proportions and details are very good. It will be a beautiful and big diorama, I'm sure !

Reaction score
Thanks Jess, I've been following your awesome Jabba's palace diorama and drooling over all the beautiful details.

I redid the arch that Jabba hides behind in the back room area. I felt like the height was not tall enough and the thickness of the arch walls were off as well.

Reaction score
Nice work on the grill in the floor. And props for the proposed train lights, as a kid our home had a lot of train set stuff which I've periodically tried to work into some things I've done. I love it when related hobbies sort of crossover. The arch re-do looks good too, I always am reevaluating whether something looks too tall or out of proportion and taking the time to go back shows some dedication. I'm often too lazy and give things the "meh???....it'll do" treatment rather than going back and revising.

Reaction score
Thanks yodashizzle, I am such a perfectionist to the Nth degree that this happens to me a lot, lol. I do really hope the train set lights work out as they're reasonably priced and offer a lot of light options and colors, which is perfect for this diorama. I did receive just today a little gem from ebay, a 1/12 scale doll house wooden globe. After carefully eyeing all the details in jabba's throne room, one piece of furniture stood out to me as being the base of an wooden globe.

So I found this and removed the globe. I will need to try to find a large rimed plate or bowl to fit within the globe or scratch build one. When I get home will take another pic of the base in the diorama to see how it fits.

Reaction score
OK, here is the globe temporarily in place with some pillows thrown about.... I think it will look great once a bowl/plate with some food and a vase is in place.

Reaction score
This looks so amazing!
Here is a pic of the table. BTW, this table top is the same as the ones in the alcoves and on the sailbarge. The fruit bowl comes out.

Let me know if you need any specific reference photos as I have studied the set designs quite extensively.

Reaction score
Thank you Utinniii. The first Jabba's palace diorama that I was ever exposed to was the spectacular one over on http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/visitorMaking/beaulieu/Jabba01.asp and I still use it for reference. Then I saw ones by Daigo-bah, yours and now Jess's that continue to inspire me. I have combed through both your thread and Jess's thread many times for inspiration, ideas and suggestions. I think it was originally on your thread where someone mentioned the doll house globe to that is no doubt where the germ was planted in my head, lol. I also forgot about the doll house urn suggested in that thread so now I am on the hunt for an urn.

I had hoped figureworkscustoms over on facebook would re-release their BBQ spit in 1/12 scale again, but that doesn't seem to be in the future so looks like I will be scratching that. I'm sure I will be reaching out to the both of you as this progresses so thank you both so much.

Reaction score
I'm glad I helped in some way. Helping others is almost as fun as making my own.
I just realized I didn't send the pic. Here it is.

Reaction score
Thank you, funny that I have almost the exact same image from a screen grab, lol. That table top is so detailed I can't tell if there are intricate carvings (celestial phases/zodiac signs) or if it's the bases of the items resting on it.lol I think I will cut a disc out of a thin sheet of balsa wood to fit on top of the table to create a smaller hole for a small bowl to fit in and try staining it to match the table.

Reaction score
Here are some close up images of the table. The polaroid photos of the alcoves (with Yak face: alcove 1) show that it is the same table top.

Here is what the bottom of the window looks like.

And this, because you will want to make 2 later on. (It is the same as the R2 drink trays.)

Reaction score
WOW, those are some great pics. Looks like I'll be scratching another window insert, thanks for that clear pic of the pattern. That Polaroid site is fantastic, thanks. Too bad Bandai doesn't sell that drink tray accessory separately as I foresee 11 more R4-I9 driods kits in my future for the 2 tri-level tray stands, lol.

That table top is gonna eat my breakfast, lunch and dinner in trying to replicate it, never mind the dozen other things on the table, like the rope swirl vase.

Reaction score
The polaroid pics also show the different couches and many other details.

The table pattern seems to be (from working outward) a double band with small holes inside; 3/4 of a circle with a larger hole in it; a smaller hole in between the spaces of the 3/4 circle.

Here's a pic of some of the random greeblies I made using Model Magic (MM). It isn't durable so if you intend to play with your items, then use Milliput or Greenstuff instead (or Fimo/Sculpy if you don't mind baking). It will shrink a bit so make them bigger than you need.

For the table top, I rolled out a flat piece of MM, cut out the circles, then used hollow tubes (straws) to make the circles. I used a small pin head to make the small dots. Now that I've looked closer at ALL the different pictures, I see that my pattern is wrong.

I used MM to make the textured arches as well (remember to make them larger because they shrink. I made them on plastic and then peeled them off before they were fully dry.

The holes in the walls are also more organic looking than a grid pattern.

For the window, I scaled up the photo to the size I needed and traced it out. The missing top is the flipped image of what you can see. Cardstock or foamies work well, depending on how thick you want it to be.

You might also want to invest in Oyumaru to make the gold drink trays.
It will be cheaper than buying a lot of models.

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you so much for all the visuals. I will use your suggestion on the table top pattern, I think I can probably stamp balsa wood pretty easily as its a pretty soft wood or if I make it out of polystyrene sheet I can just scribe it.

Here is V2 of my window insert. Thank you so much for that pic. It may be a bit over scaled but I am happy with it.

Im gonna take a couple of days break from this as I've been hard n heavy for weeks plus I need to but some of those train set lights before finishing some things.

OOPS, almost forgot, discovered this site and pages 7 & 8 are full of Jabba goodness and it's gonna break my wallet lol

https://outerrimtraders.bigcartel.com/products

Last edited:
Reaction score
That looks much better. There is a ledge there wide enough to put drinks on.

Reaction score
BTW, here is good pic of the top of the window so now that I have your pic and this one looks like I'm on to V3 tonight as I want more smooth straight lines on the shapes and the plung and cut bit I have on my dremel is too big for these tight corners so I will just break out the straight edge and the exacto blade.

Reaction score
That is one of my favorite shots of Jabba's lair. There are so many fine details, from the ceiling pipes and cables to the baskets of fruits (although I wish the Rock Warrt was on top of a fruit basket since he was there on set in some of the scenes.)

Reaction score
Yup, mine too. I has spent a lot of time studying it.

Here is window V3. It's still a little rough, and I'm not sure if I still prefer the more organic look of V2.

V3

V2