Crystar, the Crystal Warrior by Remco (1983)

Reaction score
Hey - now that "Power Lords" are being revived as a new action figure line, how about the revival of another 1983 all-but-forgotten toy line, Crystar, the Crystal Warrior?! I collected some of these back in the day. Here's a link:

Action Figure Archive - Crystar by Remco

Granted, I will admit some of these didn't look that great. However, since sculpting has advanced so much in the past 30 years, I'm sure the right company could produce some new Crystar figures that would look fantastic.

Note that there was also a Marvel comic from that time period, which IMHO was much better than the toyline. In fact, if the toyline were to be revived, IMHO they should base the look of the new figures on this Marvel comic:

Saga of Crystar, Crystal Warrior Vol 1 - Marvel Comics Database

The Saga of Crystar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: Mods, right after I posted this I realized this should have gone in the "Vintage Toys" category. Sorry about that. Please move this if necessary. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Working Class Villains were showing a Crystar figure at the first Power Con (though they didn't have the license, so it was called something else). Not sure if it ever made it into production or not. It was scaled to go along with the Masters Classics line.

Reaction score
Yeah, Crystar was great. I had all the regular single-carded figures, both dragons, and the castle. I was much more heavily into GI Joe around the time this line was released, but for a little while this was my second favorite behind the Joes (SW and MOTU got pushed to the back of the closet and toybox, I'm afraid). The comic was excellent, too.

Reaction score
Working Class Villains were showing a Crystar figure at the first Power Con (though they didn't have the license, so it was called something else). Not sure if it ever made it into production or not. It was scaled to go along with the Masters Classics line.
Looks like there was a Kickstarter, and I missed it. Damn it.

Reaction score
Well, crud. I didn't know they had already done it. I definitely would have kicked in...

Reaction score
That Crystar figure that was shown at the Power Con looks fantastic - much better than the original! This is the first I've ever heard about this.

Too bad it was never produced.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you look up backyard legends (what they're calling the toy line) up on facebook, they have a few updates. The prince of crystal and prince of magma figures are both still coming (magma first, due to mold problems with the crystar figure) and will be available for purchase for those outside of the Kickstarter. Not sure how soon, but they are still coming.

Reaction score
If you look up backyard legends (what they're calling the toy line) up on facebook, they have a few updates. The prince of crystal and prince of magma figures are both still coming (magma first, due to mold problems with the crystar figure) and will be available for purchase for those outside of the Kickstarter. Not sure how soon, but they are still coming.
That's good news. I sent them an email as well to see about getting them outside of the Kickstarter.

I'm sure between the two of us we'll figure it out. :)

Reaction score
Excellent - Thanks for the info. I looked this up, and the Crystar-inspired?! figures look fantastic - especially like the green crystal beings, since Warbow was one of my favorite characters from this line. Also on the same page/site there were pictures of a couple of Sectaurs characters (as well as what appeared to be a large new-molded Sectaurs figure), which was interesting, since I also liked that line back in the day.

And, there was also a picture of Gripptogg, from the Power Lords line, which we know is being re-booted.

Can anyone explain why they're not actually calling these figures/characters Crystar, Moltar, etc. and are instead called, "Prince of Crystal", "Prince of Magma", etc?! Is this a copyright issue, or is there another reason? Obviously fans of the franchise know who these figures are, but I was just curious...

In any case, it looks like these obscure '80's figures may be poised to make a come-back....

Last edited:
Reaction score
It is a copyright issue. They do not own the rights to the Crystar line or character names.

Reaction score
Back in the day, I bought every issue of the Marvel series, but I never found the figures in any toy store, ever. :\

Last edited:
Reaction score
A nice review of one of the figures in the Backyard Legends Crystal Prince line - the Emerald Dragonrider, which was Emerald City Comic Con exclusive this year. I totally should have gone, obviously. First one I've missed in 5 years. D'oh!

Review: Backyard Legends Emerald Dragonrider
Thanks for the info. & link. I was not aware that these "Crystar-inspired" figures were even made before reading this thread. I like how the "Backyard Legends" Logo on the bag is obviously inspired by the "Crystar" logo. I hope these figures eventually see a wider release with a larger character selection. Even though they can't actually call the figures "Crystar", "Moltar", etc., it looks like they can still make figures that look somewhat like the characters. Crystal & Molten dragons would be great too, but may be too much to hope for....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. & link. I was not aware that these "Crystar-inspired" figures were even made before reading this thread. I like how the "Backyeard Legends" Logo on the bag is obviously inspired by the "Crystar" logo. I hope these figures eventually see a wider release with a larger character selection. Even though they can't actually call the figures "Crystar", "Moltar", etc., it looks like they can still make figures that look somewhat like the characters. Crystal & Molten dragons would be great too, but may be too much to hope for....

No thanks to this thread, I bought a vintage complete Crystar figure on Ebay this week. Got outbid on a L/C Feldspar though.

Reaction score
No thanks to this thread, I bought a vintage complete Crystar figure on Ebay this week. Got outbid on a L/C Feldspar though.
Yes, threads like this one can get expensive. Sorry, I think I'm the one who outbid you on that Feldspar. :) He's the one I remember having as a kid.

Reaction score
Yes, threads like this one can get expensive. Sorry, I think I'm the one who outbid you on that Feldspar. :) He's the one I remember having as a kid.
Well at least you're the one who got it. Danged, if you'd let me know I'd have backed off the bidding last night.

We need like an "active auctions" thread in the Vintage sections. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for keeping this thread alive.

Though all of my Crystar figures are long gone, Feldspar was one of my favorite ones back in the day - I liked the combination of the crystal/molten look. Also thought the wizard Ogeode, despite not being crystal or magma, looked fairly cool, and gave off an old "Obi-wan Kenobi"-like vibe.

I didn't think the regular Crystar figure looked that great, nor the wizard with the covered eye (Zardeth), but that's just me.

Here are some additional links. Note that the first one shows all of the toys in the packaging; this line was larger than I remembered. I only got some of the regular carded figures, but the "Battle-pack" accessory sets look great as well. Also never knew there was a "Lava Shatterpult" - this looks like it may have only been distributed outside of the U.S. (Italy?!), re: the packaging. Very interesting....

Crystar, (The Saga of)<br>Crystal Warrior

Crystar the Crystal Warrior (Crystalium hero)

Last edited:
Reaction score

Though all of my Crystar figures are long gone, Feldspar was one of my favorite ones back in the day - I liked the combination of the crystal/molten look. Also thought the wizard Ogeode, despite not being crystal or magma, looked fairly cool, and gave off an old "Obi-wan Kenobi"-like vibe.

I didn't think the regular Crystar figure looked that great, nor the wizard with the covered eye (Zardeth), but that's just me.

Here are some additional links. Note that the first one shows all of the toys in the packaging; this line was larger than I remembered. I only got some of the regular carded figures, but the "Battle-pack" accessory sets look great as well. Also never knew there was a "Lava Shatterpult" - this looks like it may have only been distributed outside of the U.S. (Italy?!), re: the packaging. Very interesting....

Feldspar is a total favorite. I'll definitely be getting one. The backstory is rad:

[h=3]Feldspar[/h]
  • Feldspar - The appointed regent of Crystallium since the death of his brother, the King of Crystallium. Uncle of Prince Crystar and Prince Moltar, Feldspar has taken authority over the planet until the princes have settled their conflict. He arranged for both Ogeode and Zardeth to alter his body into a partly crystalline and partly molten form to symbolize neutrality in their dispute.

Reaction score

Yeah, the main character always seemed boring to me, too. Good ol Feldspar is interesting and weird, so he stands out.

I don't remember seeing any of the larger items (Shatterpult, dragons, etc.) in stores. In fact, I don't remember this toy line being around for more than about five seconds. That's one of the aspects that makes it interesting to me. One day it's on shelves at Toys R Us; the next day a new shiny object catches my eye.

Reaction score
Well, Feldspar, Warbow and Crystar are all on their way to me.

Thanks alot guys for tempting a toy addict like this. What a great bunch of enablers you are. ;)

Reaction score
here are my little group. still need to get the wizard but never get around to it, not sure i like the magma badguys.

Reaction score
here are my little group. still need to get the wizard but never get around to it, not sure i like the magma badguys.

I think I'll pass on Moltar and Magma Man as well.

So is the dude on the right is the "Battle Set" Crystal Warrior?

Looks like getting either him or his catapult counterpart is gonna be pricey.

I might get Ogeode. He's kinda cool and retro looking, but I'll pass on the other evil wizard dude.

Reaction score
yeah i dont know what the battle pack guys are so expensive, thats why i dont have both they are too similar for the price they fetch now. yeah i still want to get ogeode but i have never liked zardeth that head always looked goofy to me with that hat/mask thing he wears. dont think the magma guys are as cool looking either but they do seem a lot easier and cheaper to get than most of the others.

Reaction score
Don't have anything to add here, other than I'm surprised that the Crystar franchise has never been revived. We've had 200X & 20XX revivals of MOTU, G.I. Joe, Power Lords, & Thundercats. Granted, Crystar may not have been extremely popular, but IMHO it was still a decent toy line with a lot of potential....Obviously, with the advances in tooling/sculpting, a new toyline, if done properly, could look amazing....

Reaction score
Hi E_CHU_TA, thanks for posting your collection. I noticed The Outer Space Men in the background, could you please post a group shot of those. Thanx for sharing : )

Reaction score
It's a shame that Crystar hasn't been revived yet; I know it's probably too obscure of a property to have many fans these days, but IMHO this may do well if a small company produced some select figures...