COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I’m literally afraid to touch my face or scratch an itch.

MOD EDIT (UTINNIII): I changed the title for a more socially conscious one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Not that I want to heavily discuss Coronavirus, but the mass hysteria has got to stop. Yes it is dangerous. Yes it can kill, but the regular flu kills way more people then this will and while I'm not advocating that we should just let the immuno-suppressed and elderly die AND I do agree with the postponement of large gatherings for the time being, but the thought that 'we are all going to die' is just insane.

Reaction score
Not that I want to heavily discuss Coronavirus, but the mass hysteria has got to stop. Yes it is dangerous. Yes it can kill, but the regular flu kills way more people then this will and while I'm not advocating that we should just let the immuno-suppressed and elderly die AND I do agree with the postponement of large gatherings for the time being, but the thought that 'we are all going to die' is just insane.
And the blasted media, as always, is making the public perception worse. I’m a senior, and I’m literally rethinking going to public movies...which I love. I feel people now have to be a little proactive. My stores are wiped out of toilet tissue, hand sanitizers, chlorex wipes and the like. The panic at retail level is well under way. I don’t necessarily think we are all going to die, but people stocking up on bottled water & canned goods at the level I’m seeing...has taken on a Walking Dead vibe.

Reaction score
On the radio the host was saying that his father works for Georgia Pacific. He said that they actually had a surplus before all this Covid-19 stuff and were thinking about slowing down production for a while. Now that there is a run on TP they are staying at full capacity. He said they have no problems keeping up with demand. We may see some temporary shortages at the store because everyone is buying it at once., but they'll be plenty more coming to stores. TP will be the least of our worries in the near future. They make the Northern and Angel Soft, and the Costco brand as well.

Reaction score
Yeah the TP thing is weird. Ironically I went to the grocery store today and the entire aisle of toilet paper was cleaned out. Every other section of the store was fine. This is in Maine where while I'm sure Covid is here, there hasn't been a single confirmed case yet. And in the US as a whole, .0000043% of the population has tested positive for it.
Like I get that its easily transmitted, and a danger to older people and people with pre-existing conditions. It IS something that should be taken seriously. But the way it's being covered in the media makes it sound like we're about to plunge into the Stand or Walking Dead territory.

And the thing with hysterical Toilet Paper buying, I don't think its so much to do with if your neighborhood falls under quarantine, so much as a concern about import and trade goods. Well I'm pretty sure paper products are one of the few things we DO still make in abundance in the US.

Someone on the radio made the good point that SARS was a pandemic as well and most people don't remember it as such because we didn't have the news playing constantly in our pockets and everyone wasn't spewing their opinion out all over the internet all the time yet in 2003.

*End of spewing out opinion all over the internet all the time in 2020. ;)

Reaction score
On the radio the host was saying that his father works for Georgia Pacific. He said that they actually had a surplus before all this Covid-19 stuff and were thinking about slowing down production for a while. Now that there is a run on TP they are staying at full capacity. He said they have no problems keeping up with demand. We may see some temporary shortages at the store because everyone is buying it at once., but they'll be plenty more coming to stores. TP will be the least of our worries in the near future. They make the Northern and Angel Soft, and the Costco brand as well.
I'm starting to wonder if the whole thing isn't a conspiracy to boost sales; cooked up by the corporate fat cats of big toilet paper.

Reaction score
Yeah the TP thing is weird. Ironically I went to the grocery store today and the entire aisle of toilet paper was cleaned out. Every other section of the store was fine. This is in Maine where while I'm sure Covid is here, there hasn't been a single confirmed case yet. And in the US as a whole, .0000043% of the population has tested positive for it.
Like I get that its easily transmitted, and a danger to older people and people with pre-existing conditions. It IS something that should be taken seriously. But the way it's being covered in the media makes it sound like we're about to plunge into the Stand or Walking Dead territory.

And the thing with hysterical Toilet Paper buying, I don't think its so much to do with if your neighborhood falls under quarantine, so much as a concern about import and trade goods. Well I'm pretty sure paper products are one of the few things we DO still make in abundance in the US.

Someone on the radio made the good point that SARS was a pandemic as well and most people don't remember it as such because we didn't have the news playing constantly in our pockets and everyone wasn't spewing their opinion out all over the internet all the time yet in 2003.

*End of spewing out opinion all over the internet all the time in 2020. ;)
Really not shocked it’s the same in your home State as mine. It seems people are preparing to be stuck inside for an unspecified amount of time. People were also seen buying cases of bottled water like crazy as well.

Reaction score
I drove all over town tonight looking for TP -- and NO! -- I'm NOT trying to "stock up" for the zombie freaking apocalypse. I just actually physicaly ran out of TP, and I've got 2 girls in my house. what I saw tonight was bizarre. Costco was completely sold out out of TP, bottled water, bread, canned goods, clorox wipes, etc. and the place was a ZOO @ 20minutes-to-closing-time. I've never seen so many people in one place, tripping over themselves, in an absolute PANIC to buy freaking toilet paper (of all things). human beings are the worst.

Reaction score
Here in my province in Canada all events over 250 people are cancelled. Lots of things at my work were cancelled as per the guideline, so I might be out of a job for a while. We'll see.

Reaction score

Here we go. The flu is endemic. Meaning, it happens every year. It's expected. There are vaaccines. They are prepared for it. Do people still get sick or die? Yes. Covid-19 is relatively new. Just short of 2 1/2 months or so. Hasn't happened before, no true vaccine, etc. Its spread faster than many of the last viruses. For example, Swine Flu (H1N1) infected way less people in the first 60-something days of its rise. Covid 19 has more infections and deaths within the same time frame. The flu doesn't shut down nearly whole countries (Italy), cancelled major sporting events, shut down whole school districts and colleges, shut down Disneyland, Universal Studios, disrupt large gathering events, or have travel from Europeto the U.S. halted for 30 days, and so on.

Should people panic? No. Should people be prepared just in case? Of course.
But don't dismiss it as "oh the flu kills more people."

Reaction score
speaking of H1N1. last year at christmas, my brother-in-law's entire family came down with H1-N1, which they got, FROM the flu shot ITSELF. :( :(

Last edited:
Reaction score
in other news, Johns Hopkins University has been tracking the global spread in real time.

^^ according to the map, we should all move to Alabama. and/or Belize.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I think the Internet has finally gotten to a point where regulation is necessary. The flood of ignorance coming from Facebook, Twitter, etc. is too great a risk to the public. People would be happier, less stressed, and more contented with their daily lives if they didn't have social media, and probably would be better off in general without the Internet.

I understand the intention of lessening the impact of this virus, but at what cost? I don't want thousands of people to die, but the cost financially will be felt long after this virus is contained. That Real Time link above is quite interesting btw.

Reaction score
Here we go. The flu is endemic. Meaning, it happens every year. It's expected. There are vaaccines. They are prepared for it. Do people still get sick or die? Yes. Covid-19 is relatively new. Just short of 2 1/2 months or so. Hasn't happened before, no true vaccine, etc. Its spread faster than many of the last viruses. For example, Swine Flu (H1N1) infected way less people in the first 60-something days of its rise. Covid 19 has more infections and deaths within the same time frame. The flu doesn't shut down nearly whole countries (Italy), cancelled major sporting events, shut down whole school districts and colleges, shut down Disneyland, Universal Studios, disrupt large gathering events, or have travel from Europeto the U.S. halted for 30 days, and so on.

Should people panic? No. Should people be prepared just in case? Of course.
But don't dismiss it as "oh the flu kills more people."
I clearly wasn't trying to make the case that we don't need to be prepared. I'm assuming you read the entire post.

This is an unprecedented response to an unprecedented virus. My issue is more with the media and people that just HAVE TO get their opinion out there no matter how ill-informed they are. No one should take my view as anything other than chatter, but I will always err on the side of caution and knowledge and not jump to wild theories and knee jerk reactions.

Now, I'm going to update my zombie survival kits stashed around the lower United States, so be safe everyone.

Reaction score
The economic impact is honestly what's making me the most on edge. I work for a small car dealership. And I know all the other dealers in the area and there's this strange solemn nervousness that's creeping in for everyone.

I did have the idea of offering free toilet paper with every purchase... maybe goose some sales that way...

Reaction score
Jokes on you guys. I haven't been wiping my butt for years.

Reaction score
note SW graphic on the front of the machine. (y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
All too convenient.

And that's all I'm gonna say on it, I never buy into these designed mass hysteria events. But if people want to believe, that's their prerogative.

Reaction score
I’m on day four of a 30-day ESF-13 deployment at a quarantine facility as part of my agency’s quick response team. Thirteen hours on, eleven hours off, seven days a week for the foreseeable future. I’ve already lost track of what day it is. :)

On the plus side, I’m literally on the outside looking in, and the toilet paper supply is holding out. Here’s hoping people get a grip before roving packs of wild dogs are in control of all our major cities.

Reaction score
All too convenient.

And that's all I'm gonna say on it, I never buy into these designed mass hysteria events. But if people want to believe, that's their prerogative.
Hey man, .00000728% of America has Coronavirus. ITS END TIMES BRO!
;)

Seriously though I expect what we're going to see as testing increases and people calm down is the spread to slow or stop, and since everything everywhere has been cancelled forever already, the news won't have anything to report to get people to stare at their ads... I mean coverage... and it won't be long before everybody moves on.
As a few doctors have pointed out, SARS while slower to spread, was also a pandemic, but it didn't have the same effect because everyone didn't have the internet in their pocket 24/7 at the time. And its worth noting part of the speed with which this spread was China being all "who? me? huh? what? Virus outbreak? No we're good, its all good. We're all fine here... now... how are you?" which everyone agrees cost the world two months.

Coz

Reaction score
Yes it can kill, but the regular flu kills way more people then this will and while I'm not advocating that we should just let the immuno-suppressed and elderly die AND I do agree with the postponement of large gatherings for the time being, but the thought that 'we are all going to die' is just insane.
That's not true. You are comparing a year of flu deaths to a couple months of COVID 19. As of now, the COVID mortality rate is much higher than the flu. We'll know the true numbers in a year.

Reaction score
That's not true. You are comparing a year of flu deaths to a couple months of COVID 19. As of now, the COVID mortality rate is much higher than the flu. We'll know the true numbers in a year.

as of march 15:
162,687cases
6,065 deaths
75,620 recovered
>> mortality rate = 6065/(75620+6065)= 7.425%

compare to:
seasonal flu -- mortality rate less than 0.1%
1918 spanish flu pandemic -- mortality rate 2.5%

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.