Covid-19 Collectibles Market

Reaction score
Hey all, hope you are safe.

In the past month or so with most people at home there has been a huge spike in secondary market sales within certain collectibles areas. A lot of people say its due to being at home and looking for something to buy, various TV documentaries on Sports moments or players and the actual lack of sports that make people crave their favorite athletes even more. Or people just have a little bit more money in hand because they can't spend it elsewhere.

-The Basketball card and now baseball card market has been crazy with specific players old and new.
-Wrestling figures has been nuts
-Comic books are steady but it's a buyer market for higher end issues
-Some recent but old video game consoles have spiked

So how has Star Wars and other actions figures been recently? Has anyone noticed anything completely crazy in terms of prices stuff has been going for? I haven't looked at vintage but I've noticed some modern prices have gone up overnight like the Black Series Emperor with Throne or the OTC collection.

Reaction score
There are always people selling for more than things are worth. But I found that this is a good time to buy. There are a couple of artificially high priced items that have lower listing, just need to look a bit deeper. because some people need to sell due to not knowing how long their savings might last.

Reaction score
The only thing I collect is vintage SW, and I've noticed a spike in sale prices on eBay. I tried to get a complete loose Paploo in NM several times. Two went for $30-$35 but I missed them. So I got sick of last minute bidding and got a nice one for $45. Other sellers have the figure listed upwards of $70. POTF figs are going for outrageous amounts. There are some people with disposable income and cost doesn't matter.

Reaction score
I agree with the wrestlers they are going for some crazy money. I didnt see it coming and probably should have lol

The only thing I have noticed for star wars is lots of figures are selling for really high prices. From what I have track the last year or so, they have increased 14% for basic figures and if you ad a POTF figure in it. Watch out

Reaction score
I think one way to look at it is, some people think their smart . Lol

Meaning,

So many people out of work should translate into people needing money so they have to sell collectables. Truth seems to be, this isn't the case, but others may feel their getting good deals.

Its kind of like when the new Star Wars line rebooted. Everyone wanted to buy these and keep them mint . The trouble was, that's what everyone did. Lol. Collectables are collectables because they become rare in mint condition, complete and in and on. If everyone has them, they are no longer rare.

I think there's a lot of people out there looking for deals thinking everyone is hurting and needs money. This was somewhat true during the first week or so. I did see a boxed tray open bag early bird sell for under 1000. I also bought a Ralph Mcquarrie signed print for less than half the going rate. Besides that, I have only seen high sales lately.

Reaction score
In some areas where real estate has been high, it's about to stall out. With so many people carrying so much low interest debt, it won't take much for a real state crash to turn everything downwards. So if there's some short term upward spikes in some collectibles, expect it not to last long. It'll be a buyers market soon enough.

Dax

Reaction score
The underlying issue at the moment is that COVID-19 is exacerbating the current class divide. Those at the lower end of the socio-economic scale are likely to most severely impacted financially as many of the lower paid labour jobs have disappeared but a lot of white collar jobs can function from home. Plus higher income earners are likely to have some safety net where for at least a few months they don't need to liquidate assets.

So prices aren't really likely to move in general right now but there may be the odd bargain or forced sale.

Now, if this thing gets worse and the world shuts down for an extended period, then the upper income earners will also be hit and then we'll see price crashes. I really hope it doesn't get to that though.

Reaction score
I've seen a substantial price hike with eBay on a lot of 3.75 figures weapons, ships and parts. Hell go look at prices for a complete int-4 for example. Cheapest buy it now is $50, unreal.

Reaction score
yes i've seen that also. A lot of people are home spending and bidding against each other

Reaction score
i’ve been out of collecting for nearly 13 years and being stuck at home triggered me to go through my collection again. Then I got on ebay and that has started the habit up again.

As far as prices everything is a shock to me since I’ve been out so long. I’m used to being able to look on ebay and see vintage carded figures for under $100 and now everything has skyrocketed. Still finding deals here and there. Was able to finally get the Han figure that was missing from the 85 POTF Carbonite “set” I got as a kid. I’ve had the coin and block since 1985 when my grandad found it carded but missing the figure and bought it for me for clearance price because it was “damaged”.

Reaction score
i’ve been out of collecting for nearly 13 years and being stuck at home triggered me to go through my collection again. Then I got on ebay and that has started the habit up again.

As far as prices everything is a shock to me since I’ve been out so long. I’m used to being able to look on ebay and see vintage carded figures for under $100 and now everything has skyrocketed. Still finding deals here and there. Was able to finally get the Han figure that was missing from the 85 POTF Carbonite “set” I got as a kid. I’ve had the coin and block since 1985 when my grandad found it carded but missing the figure and bought it for me for clearance price because it was “damaged”.
Wow that's got to be a kick to the gut to come back to collecting now from that era. My sympathies for your wallet.
How about all the graded figures now? That sector of the hobby was way underdeveloped 13 years back.

Reaction score
So far my wallet has survived. I’ve definitely become a little more financially responsible since the early days.
Graded figs were out there but not nearly the way they are now. The only thing Ive ever bought graded was a Super Powers Wonder Woman. Its nice for items that are pristine. I have a few other items that I’m thinking of sending to get graded but I worry that what I think is worthy of grading may end up with such a low grade that it wasn’t worth the $ to have it done.

Reaction score
I just won a royal doulton set of middle Earth figures. 2 of the 12 sell for the average of 400 each. I bought all 12 with a stand for 500. Reselling the duplicate figures we have and pretty much getting 2 rare and expensive ones for free.

Also paid less than half for the Ralph Mcquarrie lithograph framed signed with film cell and found the Mcquarrie book for 50 dollars.

Deals are out there. These have all been quick buy it now sales that were just put up on ebay. All 3 had 6 days 20 plus hours, so they were certainly listed as fire sales for fast cash.

Auctions are entirely a different story.. Bidding wars are back with a vengeance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would disagree they were fire sales...just misinformed sellers not knowing market values. (I have been guilty of being an ebay troller looking fir such “deals” on my extra spare time). But call it what you will- I just wouldn’t characterize the market as being soft at times w fire sales- there have always been and will always be these low buy it nows w under priced items- and if collectors have free time it is good practice to troll the ebay marketplace!
Just yesterday an afa85 loose yak went for $735 and a droids r2 afa85 went for 785 (at auction).
Amazing how the vintage SW market had withstood and even appreciated!

Last edited: