Court of Public Opinion

Reaction score
Some of the recent threads have got me thinking...

I've had some disappointing deals on Ebay lately, so I'm opening a 'Court of Public Opinion' question to see what others would do in a similar situation, and if necessary, any additional actions.

At the end of last year, I was high bidder in an auction for a loose, non-Star Wars toy that closed a little below market, though the shipping charge listed was out of sight (within the U.S., $21 for an item less than 1 lb). Generally speaking, I don't get concerned about overcharging for shipping as long as the total amount is within my target.

The story continues by picking up another of the sellers items, ending within minutes, with the same overcharging of shipping.

I hit 'Request Invoice' and wait for the seller to update shipping (figuring it's still going to be overpriced, though expecting a little break). Over the next couple of days and several messages back and forth, the seller claims to not know what 'Combined Shipping' is, and eventually saying they won't do it.

Kinda miffed, recognizing $42 for shipping, plus the cost of items is above market, I'm considering backing out of the deal when the Seller files a 'Non-Payment' claim. Rather than trying to fight, I took the easy route and paid, figuring the deal was lousy, but not unbearably lousy.

The package comes a couple weeks later, parcel post, wrapped in sheets of plain paper taped up around it, and absolutely no padding or packing materials. Unbelievably, the toys are not damaged, however, I'm even beyond miffed, thinking of past occurrences where sellers didn't take responsibility for poorly wrapped packages. I'm still mystified that the post office even accepted this wadded up mess.

I'm not a big 'negative feedback' person. My sour grapes made me want to blast this guy, so I get on and see that a few people have already done so, since I'd done my deal. Checking out the address, I see they are a pawn shop, so figure there's not a point and the seller doesn't care. At the end of the day, I'm not out anything unreasonable (spent just around $70, delivered, which is about $20 above market) and have two undamaged toys I was looking for.

As I said, I was just going to walk away, but reading some current posts, thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

Summarizing the scenario 'offenses':
1) Shipping Overcharge
2) No Combined Shipping
3) Not Packing with Care (which probably irritates me the most, even though it worked out...)

Reaction score
So the seller didn't understand what was meant by combined shipping but shipped both items in the same package and charged you 2 lots of shipping? That's not cool.

If the eBay seller has negs I check to see the number and types of negs and will message them about either the piece or shipping before bidding. If the seller response sounds off I don't bid.

Reaction score
I have asked ebay about this before and I was told, the buyer is responsible for shipping only, meaning, they have to send the item out or refund the money. Ebay can't control packing or shipping costs. Bla bla bla

Someone else brought up the fact of shipping not counting towards final value fees, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

Crappy packing sucks period. I was comparing shipping stories with my father once. I think he won.

I had a kiss doll shipped with a simple flat piece of cardboard with zero protection and the paint rubbed off his nose. There was white paint marks on the inside of the cardboard.

Dad told me his seller shipped his book inside of a cereal box. Just put a label on the box with nothing else. When he opened the box, the booked dumped out with the equivalent of a half bowl of cereal.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Man, that's a lot to unpack. No pun intended. What was the shipping cost on the package that the seller charged you $42 for? If it was considerably cheap Ebay wont stand for it because they don't let seller's price gouge on shipping. Short story, I was shipping a large vintage vehicle a long while pack and had shipping and handling fees set at like $40 or something like that. That was the estimate I got if I had to send it to the opposite end of the country and was also based on the over-sized box dimensions. I don't have a scale at my house so trying to get a rough guesstimate on what shipping will cost is the best I can do. Sometimes I win sometimes I lose. Anyways, the gentleman who bought it happened to be one state away and the shipping was only like $25. When it got there the buyer contacted me and wanted to reimbursed the difference. Honestly, I got more bent out of shape about it than I should have so ebay contacted me about their price gouging policy when it comes to shipping. I learned from the mistake I made and settled with with buyer. I learned. I grew. So just based on my experience, if it didn't cost him $42 to ship it to you then you could bring it up with ebay and what they would do would be to ask the seller to reimburse you and you send the item back if you can't come to a mutual agreement. But if they don't state that they combine shipping always ask I suppose just to make sure all the boxes are checked. If they say they combine shipping and go back on it, then at least you've got the messages that ebay can see to back up your claim. As for why sellers don't take the time to properly package things is just pure laziness. Cut and dry. I've bought nice stuff from people before, but because it came wrapped in toilet paper thin packaging I won't share my business with them again chances are. I know it sucks, so I hope that helps man.

Reaction score
Some of the recent threads have got me thinking...

I've had some disappointing deals on Ebay lately, so I'm opening a 'Court of Public Opinion' question to see what others would do in a similar situation, and if necessary, any additional actions.

At the end of last year, I was high bidder in an auction for a loose, non-Star Wars toy that closed a little below market, though the shipping charge listed was out of sight (within the U.S., $21 for an item less than 1 lb). Generally speaking, I don't get concerned about overcharging for shipping as long as the total amount is within my target.

The story continues by picking up another of the sellers items, ending within minutes, with the same overcharging of shipping.

I hit 'Request Invoice' and wait for the seller to update shipping (figuring it's still going to be overpriced, though expecting a little break). Over the next couple of days and several messages back and forth, the seller claims to not know what 'Combined Shipping' is, and eventually saying they won't do it.

Kinda miffed, recognizing $42 for shipping, plus the cost of items is above market, I'm considering backing out of the deal when the Seller files a 'Non-Payment' claim. Rather than trying to fight, I took the easy route and paid, figuring the deal was lousy, but not unbearably lousy.

The package comes a couple weeks later, parcel post, wrapped in sheets of plain paper taped up around it, and absolutely no padding or packing materials. Unbelievably, the toys are not damaged, however, I'm even beyond miffed, thinking of past occurrences where sellers didn't take responsibility for poorly wrapped packages. I'm still mystified that the post office even accepted this wadded up mess.

I'm not a big 'negative feedback' person. My sour grapes made me want to blast this guy, so I get on and see that a few people have already done so, since I'd done my deal. Checking out the address, I see they are a pawn shop, so figure there's not a point and the seller doesn't care. At the end of the day, I'm not out anything unreasonable (spent just around $70, delivered, which is about $20 above market) and have two undamaged toys I was looking for.

As I said, I was just going to walk away, but reading some current posts, thought I'd put it out there for discussion.

Summarizing the scenario 'offenses':
1) Shipping Overcharge
2) No Combined Shipping
3) Not Packing with Care (which probably irritates me the most, even though it worked out...)
I think its always "buyer beware", first and foremost. Who are you dealing with, whats the feedback? It sounds like there were already clues you could have found that would have helped in avoiding this seller.

I also think that people are overly concerned and obsessive on combined shipping and shipping charges. If the seller doesnt offer combined shipping, move on to the next seller, unless you REALLY want that item. IF the seller charges higher shipping charges than you think are reasonable, move on. you dont have to deal with a seller that doesnt fit your requirements and what you are comfortable with.

So to be clear, I strongly feel its the buyers responsibility to ask and double check in advance regarding combined shipping and shipping costs, ask questions, so that its clear in ones mind what to expect. If one doesnt like what is being offer or the policy, move on. No one is holding a gun to your head to accept the sellers terms.

Where I do side with you is packing. IF you paid a higher rate on shipping costs, then the seller SHOULD offer superior protection in packing and protecting the item. The item should be packed well, with the proper materials that will allow the item to get to you safely and in the same condition you saw the item was in.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad experience on ebay. Very disappointing to hear that you paid a higher rate on shipping than you would normally and the seller did not have the decency to reciprocate by offering excellent packing and care of the item.

Reaction score
If the seller doesn't list combined shipping on the description, I ALWAYS confirm with them that they do before bidding or buying from them. It's hard to gauge what the exact shipping will be but at least you can get a rough estimate from them and it will be in writing.

Reaction score
Okay..... so what's the question? Was it wrong to overcharge you shipping? Yes. Was it complete BS that the seller claimed to not know what "combined shipping" is? Double Yes. Is not packing with care a valid complaint / offense? Yes. Does this seller deserve negative feedback? Yes. Negative feedback, whether we like to do it or not, communicates to other potential buyers.... "Hey, there is an issue here". I always check negative feedback before bidding, so i can get a feel about what I may be getting into. I sometimes reach out and ask questions about an item when the seller has negative feedback to see what kind of response I get. I think some negative feedback is not deserved, and I try not to hold that against people, but feedback exists for a reason.

Reaction score
Did I skim too much or was this an overseas seller? (Assuming not because it was a “pawn shop”
sounds crazy!! Even if a seller files a non payment claim I dont think I would have paid unless it was indeed an overseas seller

Last edited:
Reaction score
As you try all means, I would put the "negative" and in the comments, I would explain why..... just to advise others about the situation. About the shipping, I sell from time to time on eBay, and they DO charge a % off all the money buyer send you (but, it could be PP that do that, it doesnt show clearly who take the money). That is not fair, more if you (as a seller) use Flat Rate (exactly what your shipping cost will be). Sellers like the one you deal with (inflating shipping cost for a gain), are not fair and damage the market in many ways not to mention that in many cases, the packaging is not a "Master Piece" that could explain the charge.

Reaction score
Some sellers will separate the shipping fee ( although it is still part of the complete item fee) just to save on ebay and paypal fee's or to look cheaper than there competition. The other point if someone put's a shipping fee down on an item and the item ships closer to there state then of course it will be less than say the item going all the way from the west coast to the east coast. I have never ever had someone who got a shipping under charge contact me and Say" I see you spent extra on shipping and shipping supplies and noticed you lost $40 or more on shipping and I would like to send you that money that you lost!" This is all common sense, Pay for the item you want with the shipping price included. The best way to avoid all of this BS as a seller, is just to list the item with Free shipping and be done with it. Work the shipping price into the item price.

Reaction score
I have asked ebay about this before and I was told, the buyer is responsible for shipping only, meaning, they have to send the item out or refund the money. Ebay can't control packing or shipping costs. Bla bla bla

Someone else brought up the fact of shipping not counting towards final value fees, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.
Sellers pay a fee on shipping. eBay changed that a while ago when people were charging $1 + $10 shipping for an item that would normally sell for $11.

Reaction score
The policies ebay has for their fee structure is ridiculous! They take almost 10% from everything you sell. And Paypal is just as bad. If you sell something for $40.00, and charge $10.00 for shipping, when it hits your paypal account, you've got $48 and some change. Now, as a seller, when you ship the item, you're loosing that dollar and some change out of your pocket, creating lost profit. Not to mention the cost of "proper" shipping supplies. I totally understand the saying "It takes money to make money" but sometimes after paying for materials, fees and shipping, you could actually wind up loosing the entire profit margin on the item you just sold.

I certainly DO NOT advocate charging someone $42.00 for two items that should be nowhere near that cost to ship. Did the seller show the total postage cost on the shipping label? If they did, I would send them a photo of the actual price, and request to be refunded the difference. If they refuse, then hit them with the negative feedback and go directly to ebay on the matter.

Last edited: