Continuity errors

Reaction score
I discovered a couple continuity errors during the battle of Yavin scene of ANH. I spotted these while watching the entire scene is slow-mo, looking for designated astromechs (don't ask, heh). These are blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenes, but they're there nonetheless!

First is Luke's helmet, which we're all familiar with.

During the scene where Luke gets miffed over Han's selfishness, his helmet has a very different pattern on the side of the ridge. The red is gone and replaced by grey stripes and bars.

Next, is this particular pilot (sorry, forgot his name/call sign). Right before he gets shot down by a TIE, his helmet changes from this:

To this:

Look familiar? That's Jansen's helmet from ESB! So it made a brief appearance in ANH afterall!

Not saying these are exciting or anything. I just personally find this kind of stuff interesting!

Reaction score
The 3rd pic is Red 10 (Theron Nett). The other pilot in the trench run was Red 12. It's been theorized the pilot in the 4th pic is Red 12, although it was edited to show Red 10's death.

Reaction score
Yeah, the Janson helmet belongs to the other wingman of Garven's, presumably. They don't show him in cockpit, just showing Theron Nett (the guy with the yellow circle emblem on his helmet) talking, you see the other wingman's X-wing blow up... they may have filmed the guy talking, and certainly filmed him getting blown up in-cockpit, but they opted to use it for Nett's explosion instead I guess. Editing room stuff. More impact to see the dude blow up in the cockpit that we just heard some lines from... but they didn't film his own in-cockpit explosion.

Not sure about the Luke helmet situation... filmed on different days, probably, and they may have redecoed the helmet for some other use at one point. Or after leaving Han, Luke tried on the helmet before getting to his X-wing, found the fit too tight or loose, and asked for a new one with the red Alliance emblems on it

Reaction score
What about the fact that every pilot on Yavin is shown putting on a helmet with a blue Rebel symbol, like Dack's, but when shown in the battle, every one has a different symbol and they're considerably more worn and dirty.

Did anyone notice in ROTS that during the fight between Obi and Ani in the control center, they swap lightsabers several times.

Reaction score
The blue-symbol pilots were, uh, Y-wing pilots? We only saw Dutch, Tiree, and Pops after all. Or the other Reds, the ones we don't see. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, and 12 are accounted for. Reds 7, 8, 9, and 11 all have the blue-n-white helmet. Yeah, that's the ticket! Actually, in just checking Wookieepedia, Red 8 Bren Quersey DID have the blue-symbol helmet, as did Red 11 Wenton Chan. Both with pictures, showing the helmet.

The ROTS saber-swapping is from cut duel footage where they do swap sabers and fight that way for a time... it's just strange that they redid certain shots with the sabers corrected, yet didn't bother fixing 'em all. From one angle, they have the correct sabers, from another, swapped sabers. End result, looks like some poor continuity monitoring... if it was accidental, you'd think Ewan & Hayden would go "Uh, hey, why do we switch sabers for this setup, but we didn't for the other one which was identical but for camera placement?"

Then again, the Imperial actors in ROTJ, like Piett, didn't point out that the rank badges were wrong. Piett should've been wondering "Did I get bumped down to Captain again? Damn 5-minute tractor beam warm-up!"

Reaction score
Toonimator said:
The blue-symbol pilots were, uh, Y-wing pilots? We only saw Dutch, Tiree, and Pops after all. Or the other Reds, the ones we don't see. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 10, and 12 are accounted for. Reds 7, 8, 9, and 11 all have the blue-n-white helmet. Yeah, that's the ticket! Actually, in just checking Wookieepedia, Red 8 Bren Quersey DID have the blue-symbol helmet, as did Red 11 Wenton Chan. Both with pictures, showing the helmet.

The ROTS saber-swapping is from cut duel footage where they do swap sabers and fight that way for a time... it's just strange that they redid certain shots with the sabers corrected, yet didn't bother fixing 'em all. From one angle, they have the correct sabers, from another, swapped sabers. End result, looks like some poor continuity monitoring... if it was accidental, you'd think Ewan & Hayden would go "Uh, hey, why do we switch sabers for this setup, but we didn't for the other one which was identical but for camera placement?"

Then again, the Imperial actors in ROTJ, like Piett, didn't point out that the rank badges were wrong. Piett should've been wondering "Did I get bumped down to Captain again? Damn 5-minute tractor beam warm-up!"
I thought the blue helmeted Rebels were from Blue Squadron (another X-Wing squadron) that ended up getting cut because the blue coloring on the X-Wings was disappearing against the bluescreen/space background.

Reaction score
Not likely... helmet color has nothing to do with squadron. Most of Red Squadron don't have a ton of red on their helmets.

Reaction score
doc46 said:
I thought the blue helmeted Rebels were from Blue Squadron (another X-Wing squadron) that ended up getting cut because the blue coloring on the X-Wings was disappearing against the bluescreen/space background.
You're right they did change from Blue to Red for SFX reasons. It's a similar reason that Luke saber in ROTJ changed from blue to green (and Qui Gon's in TPM) because in SPX shots blue sabers didn't show up well against a blue sky (and these Tatooine shots are the only times a saber is just outside against a blue sky).

I know Toonanimator will argue the case, but both the novel and comics of ANH have the X-Wings as Blue Squadron, and they were only changed to Red late in the day (remember how ILM only just finished the SFX in time for release).

Remember the early trailer for ROTJ showed Luke with a blue saber ... these things often got changed late in the day.

Plus over the PA at Yavin hanger you can hear the announcer saying "blue squadron" at least once.

Reaction score
How about when Jek Porkins (Red Six) dies a fiery death, then later he is asked if he can see Red Five (Luke).

Also, there's the two different actors playing Wedge.

Greedo has two different sets of hands during the cantina scenes.

During the 'droid sale' at the Lars homestead, R5D4 (identified by Luke as an R2 unit), rolls forward, then can be seen in the next shot still beside R2-D2.

Many, many shots of stuff reversing itself as shots are 'flipped'. Examples: Vader's chestplate during duel with Obi-wan. Cockpit scene details swapping sides during Battle of Yavin.

Leif

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
During the 'droid sale' at the Lars homestead, R5D4 (identified by Luke as an R2 unit), rolls forward, then can be seen in the next shot still beside R2-D2.
Yeah I notice it every time I watch, and then forget about it until the next time. I think it's because they reuse that shot.

Reaction score
Or how about how IG-88 makes an appearance in the Cantina where no droids are supposedly allowed!

PS - I know that's not really a continuity issue. Just think it's kinda funny.

Leif

Reaction score
pocoyo_joe said:
I know Toonanimator will argue the case, but both the novel and comics of ANH have the X-Wings as Blue Squadron, and they were only changed to Red late in the day (remember how ILM only just finished the SFX in time for release).
I understand about the changes to Red Squadron... my point was regarding the HELMETS. Red Squadron didn't have red helmets, no reason they would've all had blue emblems if they were Blue Squadron.

I loved that ROTJ trailer with Luke swinging a blue saber around... ah, what MIGHT have been! But in the long run it was better to throw in some variety for colors.

Did they really change Qui-Gon's to green for the same reason? You'd think it wouldn't be a problem in the late '90s. He could've easily had a blue blade and had it show up sufficiently against the sky. Of course, then the two main Jedi characters would've had blue blades, and that'd be a lot more boring. Kinda like the final ROTS duel... blue vs blue. I wish Anakin had left his saber behind once he devoted himself to Sidious (and Padme, perhaps, finding it and taking it with her, so it could then pass to Obi-Wan), and had a new red saber right off the bat for the final duel.

Reaction score
sorry Toonimator, didn't realise you were just getting at the helmets.

And yes it's true about Qui Gon's saber. Remember Lucas really would've had all the Jedi have blue sabers were it not for the problems in ROTJ and the desert battle.

As you rightly point out, Lucas even let THE duel that we were all waiting for (ie Vader vs Ben round 1) take place between 2 bods BOTH wielding blue sabers.

Also Ben and Anakin both use blue sabers in AOTC too. When I saw the early trailers for AOTC I felt sure one of them was using Qui Gons green saber but no they only get a green one coz they lost or broke their own.

Thank the Force Sam Jackson insisted on getting a purple saber. One of the fun parts of KOTOR gmaes is customising the sabers with different crystals for colour and bonus boosts.

Reaction score
pocoyo_joe said:
sorry Toonimator, didn't realise you were just getting at the helmets.

And yes it's true about Qui Gon's saber. Remember Lucas really would've had all the Jedi have blue sabers were it not for the problems in ROTJ and the desert battle.

As you rightly point out, Lucas even let THE duel that we were all waiting for (ie Vader vs Ben round 1) take place between 2 bods BOTH wielding blue sabers.

Also Ben and Anakin both use blue sabers in AOTC too. When I saw the early trailers for AOTC I felt sure one of them was using Qui Gons green saber but no they only get a green one coz they lost or broke their own.

Thank the Force Sam Jackson insisted on getting a purple saber. One of the fun parts of KOTOR gmaes is customising the sabers with different crystals for colour and bonus boosts.
I like the yellow saber option because of the vintage kenner figures.

Reaction score
ThorOakenfelder said:
Leif_G said:
Yeah I notice it every time I watch, and then forget about it until the next time. I think it's because they reuse that shot.
Of all the goofs in Star Wars, I just can't seem to get over this one. Drives me nuts every time that scene comes up.

Reaction score
They do the same thing with Obi-Wan. A shot of him crossing a DS corridor with his saber out, R3-O1 puttering along in the background... and then it shows up again a little later. Can't recall if one was flopped or not, but that always stuck out to me, too.

And I, too, liked the yellow saber option thanks to the vintage Lukes and Obi-Wan's original card photo.
I was stoked to see Plo Koon get a yellow saber back in POTJ and the Jedi Power Battles game, and then in KOTOR it was one of three standard Jedi class-based saber colors! So when the comic started up, with Zayne sporting a yellow, that was pretty awesome. I don't mind that he now sports a blue saber, though.

Reaction score
i've seen that trailer before -- had to laugh at how goofy it seems now. The jumpy editing, Anthony Daniels' different sounding voice and Wuher flipping out at the bar were all hilarious. The Tusken raider scene --vf too!!!

Reaction score
There was an error in Empire if you listen close enough you can hear it. During the battle of hoth when one of the hoth trooper says there is imperial walkers to the base. One of the base personal says Imperial walkers report to the bridge.

Reaction score
I believe that was the line 'Imperial walkers on the north ridge'. It was on the base PA during the scene when the ice falls on Artoo's head, immediately preceeding the snowspeeders taking off.

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
The first actor who played Wedge got fired so Dennis Lawson had to redub the lines in the battle ready room.
First I've EVER heard of that. Source? Last I heard that wasn't even Lawson's voice for the "That's impossible, even for a computer."

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
The first actor who played Wedge got fired so Dennis Lawson had to redub the lines in the battle ready room.
Actually Denis Lawson was supposed to do that scene originally as well, but wasn't available. So Collin Higgins filled in just for that scene. Neither Collin Higgins, nor Denis Lawsons' voices were used in SW. The voice of Wedge Antilles was done by David Ankrum. Lawson's voice was used as Wedge in ROTJ.

Leif

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Strikefoil said:
Actually Denis Lawson was supposed to do that scene originally as well, but wasn't available. So Collin Higgins filled in just for that scene. Neither Collin Higgins, nor Denis Lawsons' voices were used in SW. The voice of Wedge Antilles was done by David Ankrum. Lawson's voice was used as Wedge in ROTJ.

Leif
Crazy, never knew any of that although in the back of my mind I always sensed his voice sounded different throughout the trilogy and I just chalked it up to variations in sound editing.

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Whoa, never knew that the REAL Wedge wasn't even Lawson's voice... "Look at the size of that thing!" "I'm hit! I can't stay with you" and all that... really? Wow.

What about ESB? They choose to dub some weird stuff, don't they?

(don't get me started on English-to-English dubs... especially when it's something from the UK/Ireland, moved to the US, and re-dubbed with actors speaking with UK/Irish accents)

Reaction score
I think Denis used is own voice when he was in the actual scenes he was in. He redub that scene in the batte ready room. I read that somewhere. He even voiced Wedge in Rogue Leader.

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
I think Denis used is own voice when he was in the actual scenes he was in. He redub that scene in the batte ready room. I read that somewhere. He even voiced Wedge in Rogue Leader.
They redubbed all of the british rebel pilots with American voice actors so that the rebels and the imperials would be more distinct. It wasn't until RotJ that they used all of the original actor's voices.

I believe that Mark Hamill even voiced one of the other Snowspeeder pilots, played by an actor that wasn't him.

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
Interesting. Where are you guys getting this intel?
I had heard it for years, but I just pulled this off of wookieepedia

</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font>
The sound of Wedge's voice is distinctly different in each of the three films. In Episode IV, his voice was dubbed by David Ankrum, but not in the two subsequent films.[48] It is unclear why Ankrum's voice was not used in the final two films.

[/QUOTE]

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
I think Denis used is own voice when he was in the actual scenes he was in.
No, he had to mime the scene while another actor stood close by reading the lines....
(joking)

Of course Lawson read the scene while it was being filmed. As did Prowse, and Mayhew. But then other 'voices' were used on the finished audio track. But is Lawson's voice in the released version of the film? Nope.

Leif

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
Interesting. Where are you guys getting this intel?

From David Ankrum's site (googled it):

I’ll never forget the day I walked into the post production facility in Hollywood where George Lucas and Mark Hamill were waiting for me to create the voice of Wedge. It was a thrill to work with both of them and to dub the voice of the fine Scottish Actor, Denis Lawson.

[/QUOTE]

Also, David Ankrum's filmography:

Star Wars (1977) (voice) (uncredited) .... Red Two
... aka La guerra de las estrellas (USA: Spanish title)
... aka Star Wars IV: A New Hope (USA: video box title)
... aka Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (USA: reissue title (new title))

[/QUOTE]

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0030193/

Also this...

Actor Denis Lawson -- who is Ewan McGregor's real-life uncle -- played Wedge Antilles in the classic trilogy. Although the script identifies him as Wedge Antilles, and the character's voice-over (provided by actor David Ankrum) is the same, that is not Lawson sitting beside Mark Hamill during the Yavin briefing. Lawson was unavailable that day for shooting and another actor, Colin Higgins, filled in. This has led to fans identifying that particular Wedge as the "fake Wedge," although it is intended as the same character. Lawson's name is misspelled "Dennis" in the credits to A New Hope.

[/QUOTE]

http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/wedgeantilles/index.html

Leif

Reaction score
Leif_G said:
Strikefoil said:
I think Denis used is own voice when he was in the actual scenes he was in.
No, he had to mime the scene while another actor stood close by reading the lines....
(joking)

Of course Lawson read the scene while it was being filmed. As did Prowse, and Mayhew. But then other 'voices' were used on the finished audio track. But is Lawson's voice in the released version of the film? Nope.

Leif
I love the behind the scenes I saw where Chewie is speaking with an English accent. "That old man is crazy."

Reaction score
I think he said "mad" which, to me, was even funnier.

And hey, it was Peter Mayhew's birthday yesterday! Heard it on the radio.

Reaction score
Why can't they use the actors real voice. They used Anthony Daniels real voice as 3po. They were going to use someone else's voice but decided not too at the last minute.

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
Why can't they use the actors real voice. They used Anthony Daniels real voice as 3po.
Have you heard Dave Prowse as Darth Vader? (or even Peter Mayhew as Chewie!). Trust me, some need to be dubbed...

Reaction score
Ackbars_No1_Fan said:
Have you heard Dave Prowse as Darth Vader?
Yea, his voice wouldn't have been nearly as effective, IMO.

Of course Dave Prowse has his own ideas about that. I actually asked him about it once. He told that his voice was supposed to be used, but that after filming Lucas became worried there would be boycotts in the US over the fact there were no black actors in the film. So he thinks Lucas used James Earl Jones' voice as Vader to rectify the situation.

The funny thing is, James Earl Jones said something once in an interview that makes me believe Lucas did in fact say something to Dave about it, but that Dave misunderstood him. I don't recall his exact words, but James Earl Jones' said something to the effect that Lucas wanted a 'darker' voice. I'm thinking Dave Prowse took that in reference to race, and not 'tone of voice'.

Leif

Lex

Reaction score
They didn't use Denis' voice because he had a Scottish accent but then he got a little angry or something and said he can do American accent, so his voice was used in the sequels.

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
Maybe they need to put Denis Lawson's real voice back in sw and esb.
That'll probably happen on the Extra Special, Special Edition, Blu Ray DVD, when they also have Greedo shoot at Dennis Lawson first.

Lex

Reaction score
Strikefoil said:
Maybe they need to put Denis Lawson's real voice back in sw and esb.
It was in TESB.

He's probably mad about his name written "Dennis" in the credits, too.