CONTEST: Final Faction Customs

I don't know what it is about droids, but once a customizer starts working on droids, it's really hard to stop.

My WIP grows exponentially when I get on a driod kick. I'm glad you posted some of your WIP, I'm always excited to see what you're cooking.

Shaz bot has a familiarity to him. Maybe it is the droids cartoon, but I haven't watched those for years.

I don't know what it is about droids, but once a customizer starts working on droids, it's really hard to stop.

My WIP grows exponentially when I get on a driod kick. I'm glad you posted some of your WIP, I'm always excited to see what you're cooking.

Shaz bot has a familiarity to him. Maybe it is the droids cartoon, but I haven't watched those for years.
There are lots of "bubble bots" out there in various media, also the cylinder shape.

Droids are easy to start, but harder to find all the bits needed to finish them off. I have a few I'm working on, but have moved on to finishing some of my swoops.
I have a week or 2 before I go into "Halloween mode" but IDK what that will look like right now. I might do some FF, or I might work on my long neglected Haunted Mansion model.

But going back to swoops, here is my FF "Speed Demon" with something to show scale.

I just went and found it! I remember those! Nice stuff. This is a great thread.

I haven't been doing much lately, and most of what I have been working on is buildings. With Halloween stuff starting to hit stores locally, I'll probably be back to my Bonelands stuff again soon.
Buildings are cool.

I too have been waiting for new Halloween product, as well as some new paints. I posted a skeletal WIP a page back or 2.

Sometimes it is good to abandon a WIP for awhile. I started this swoop months ago and figured I would paint it a light tan or green. Then yesterday, I realized that this was the paint job it needed.

I suppose I could post my test building. After all, it does have a single Final Faction piece on it. Made from a $1 DT plastic bin, a bubble from a vending machine, a ACRM backpack, and a chunk of scrap wood. Oh, and that isn't smoke; it's painted-on soot.

Attachments

• 100_5662.JPG
    100_5662.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 100_5663.JPG
    100_5663.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_5665.JPG
    100_5665.JPG
    632.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Looks great you guys! I have purchased a couple of those DT dart guns because of Utinniii's inspired use as a speeder. I like the final paint job.

I envy the simple anesthetics to Mira's building. Been wanting to create something like that for a display piece with my vintage customs

The paint is the most expensive part. I'm working on a heavier, more detailed building using some more scrap wood.
We're looking forward to seeing them.

I'm hunting down Halloween skeletons to use for FF projects still.

I did get my paint so I could finish these off.

These paints have great iridescent colors.

Flying Rumbler: Based off a Horseshoe crab and a Jellyfish. Tentacles are DT plants; body is filled in with Model Magic; Big wings are from an old "Dragon Flyez?" dragon; small wings are from cheapo toy; Tail is from a "build a dino skeleton" kit.

Crab Rumbler: Legs are from a Monsters Inc Spider figure

Kharn Worldship Playset accessories

The crab rumbler is an absolute masterpiece. It looks like a high-end low-number collectible. How fun!

Swoop swoop ba-doop swoop ba-doop

Traffic Bot

Next time on BYTE M.E.; "Love Bytes"
Traffic-bot finds love with special guest star. Young-Hye because they have so much in common. However, can he accept her way of dealing with traffic violations?

Team Alpha's latest line of defense

Last edited:
Some WIPS

I'm not sure if I want to give the "gunship" the fish face treatment, although if I do, I was thinking something along the lines of Monstro the whale.
The second kitbash is just a bunch of random parts. I didn't realize the angle changed as the glue was drying, but it works. The blue shield part also should have been at much more of an angle, but I see it as a moving piece so it will become more upright as it breaks.

These two are now more or less assembled. I'm just thinking of colors.

I want to protest! This shouldn't be your last one for awhile, as we have been enjoying them.

I totally get it though. Life has me strapped down for the moment and I haven't had the chance to customize lately.

Come On Utinni! Put some mesh or a grille of some kind in that square hole in the front of the black speeder! Making my eyeballs bang together!:LOL:🤪

Your painting is top notch as always!

Another Bonelands custom. Not too fancy; I spent more time painting the chassis and engine than the rest. Still, it's a fun little Sand Lizard. (And yes, I know the starboard side panel gaps a bit in the rear.)

Attachments

• 100_5739.JPG
    100_5739.JPG
    495.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_5738.JPG
    100_5738.JPG
    344.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_5740.JPG
    100_5740.JPG
    555.9 KB · Views: 6
Come On Utinni! Put some mesh or a grille of some kind in that square hole in the front of the black speeder! Making my eyeballs bang together!:LOL:🤪

Your painting is top notch as always!

There actually IS corrugated cardboard set back in there. I wanted the recess. But I do like your idea of a mesh.

I also probably need foot rests as well.

My focus will be creepy until after Halloween. While that doesn't rule out FF, I do have other priorities. I also don't have the final wave of accessory packs here so when they show up, I may get inspired.
Now when the masks finally show up...
I have a venomous idea.

Another Bonelands custom. Not too fancy; I spent more time painting the chassis and engine than the rest. Still, it's a fun little Sand Lizard. (And yes, I know the starboard side panel gaps a bit in the rear.)

I like the vibrant green choice but I feel it would be improved with weathering. It would look less "toy" and more "real".

I have a skeletal scorpion and frog out hoping to inspire me. Last year the chromatic skeletons were everywhere. Now I can only find a spider [but not the one I want].

I weathered the entire chassis. LOL I was using up the last of some paint I've had for a decade; it used to dry darker. *shrugs* It's also the first time I've weathered the wheels, trying to get a good dust color.

Originally, there was talk of the Dyad, a pair of Kharn controllers. They eventually became the Brutes.

I got really excited when I found this Max bloks figure. I had forgotten that the brain looked different. At any rate, it still makes for a good variant, or different alien species.

It was surprisingly easy to clip the head post with cuticle clippers. Then it just slips on. This will look much better on the Venom variant. The blind bag figure can be found by the smooth "sword" and then feeling for the bumpy head.

I may get a second one and clip off the eye ridges. I can turn them into eyebrows for a DS 9 alien.

Here are the other figures contained inside and the few I personally like. The brain-head is more bumpy than the Spaceman with the sword. Unfortunately, the figures are wrapped inside the mini-poster, and are holding their weapons so the figures are harder to feel for than other blind bag toys.

Hey guys, new to the forum but allow me to showcase two projects with Final Faction. The first was an attempt at articulating an alien figure, particularly the basic grunt. I also decided to modify him to make him more grotesque and vague. The end result was a learning experience that set the foundation for the second piece which I'll post here shortly.

He was assembled together under tightly imposed budget guidelines, so aside from the Final Faction figure itself, I ended up using a knockoff lego kit's ball joints which ran me around USD $1.58 to give him some better articulation. You can see the WIP photos below

I also assembled together a weapon from a broken toy axe and disposable chopsticks followed by a base with a soup can lid underneath. His feet are magnetized so he doubles as a tabletop miniature. The base components were cast from epoxy resin in molds I made for my miniature work.

The white stuff on him is PVA glue mixed with super glue, it helps give him that rippled, mottled skin effect you can see on the first images. Great if you plan on making rotten or distorted flesh thanks to its random and organic patterns.

After building the first one, I decided to tackle a second after learning from my mistakes. Having universal ball sockets was good if you wanted interchangeability but pretty poor if they were load bearing joints, so I decided to salvage some broken 1:18 ball hinges for key areas like the knees and elbows. This time, I modified Krepitus and the results are below.

ZUFf5r8.jpg

Like the former, he was given a magnetized decorative base so he doubles as a tabletop miniature. I also cut his midsection in half and gave him a double ball joint so he can be more expressive. The head was taken from an old crow skull keychain I got years ago. I purposely left some bits of the metal present to make the nature of the entity more vague.

sgfGBXl.jpg

I ended up having some fun making him very grotesque, the same PVA glue and superglue technique was applied aaround the eye sockets and lifted in strands to make it seem like his flesh had grown back wrong around the eye sockets. Epoxy esin helped give it a wet, glossy sheen.

YxmoogW.jpg

Here he is next to TVC Bom Vimdin and his wave mate, Diabol, who he now towers over.

N3d3GQe.jpg

And finally, an early WIP so you can see how the joints were implemented. Unfortunately, Diabol will probably be the last project I attempt next year unless I get to return to NA to pick up some more FF figures. At least these were fun to attempt.

jTCVIJb.jpg

Any feedback most appreciated!

Last edited:
You must be a Warhammer guy too, your painting is meticulous!

I also think it awesome that you stayed within a tight budget. That adds to the creative challenge. Keep them coming!

Those are magnificent!
I'm especially impressed you found a good use for the crow charm. I've been looking at them for years but could never envision a use for them.

Your painting is exquisite.

They are both very inspiring. I was running out of ideas but now I see a whole new direction to move in.

Also, welcome to the forums.

I really appreciate how you use the glue around the eyes. That’s a unique technique. Are you going to paint the black joints on the early WIP? Do you still have that figure?

I’m so glad you’re here! These are fantastic!

You must be a Warhammer guy too, your painting is meticulous!

I also think it awesome that you stayed within a tight budget. That adds to the creative challenge. Keep them coming!
Thanks! I was lurking before I joined and found this thread after discovering FF on another forum and thought the idea of staying within a budget was a neat idea. Restrictions sometimes help with creativity. Also, guilty as charged, I am experienced in tabletop miniatures though I joined such communities with the intention of learning once I found the painting and sculpting guides of custom action figure groups to be a bit limited.

I'm still very much an amateur painter by their standards though.

Those are magnificent!
I'm especially impressed you found a good use for the crow charm. I've been looking at them for years but could never envision a use for them.

Your painting is exquisite.

They are both very inspiring. I was running out of ideas but now I see a whole new direction to move in.

Also, welcome to the forums.

Thanks for the welcome! I was actually originally inspired to pick up the aliens by your posts after lurking on the pages. It was only when I had them on hand that I realized how much potential the sculpts had that I decided to undertake the task of articulating them. Still made some mistakes but I'm pretty pleased with what I've learned from making the pair.

I really appreciate how you use the glue around the eyes. That’s a unique technique. Are you going to paint the black joints on the early WIP? Do you still have that figure?

I’m so glad you’re here! These are fantastic!
The glue technique is taken from an old Warhammer tutorial in making Nurgle bases. It's a great technique for making organic rot and corruption but you need to do it in a well ventilated area or with some kind of mask as the fumes can be toxic and give you a headache.

The early WIP got transformed into the figure you see in the second image. I keep it as a reference point in case anyone wants to know how I went about articulating the figure and where I cut and epoxied all the joints together.

Thanks for the comments everyone, it'll probably be a while before I can get to modifying Diabol and unless I make a trip back to North America, I'm afraid that will be it for my Final Faction figure conversions until I recast some of the accessory kits to make buildings and other terrain.

I just want to say that since you posted this, there hasn't been a day where I haven't thought about making my own versions. I've even ordered a set of different skull charms.

I've created my own mythology for "The Carrion Kind" and how it ties into my Mordacious/Malara power struggle.

Even though I'm often too exhausted after work to even watch TV, I've now cleaned off my work table and started playing around with Super Glue.

I've thought about how I'd articulate them (and I don't really care about articulation) as well as extend the limbs.

I probably won't get the charms until February, but I'm sure I will start something over Christmas break.

You have inspired me!

I just want to say that since you posted this, there hasn't been a day where I haven't thought about making my own versions. I've even ordered a set of different skull charms.

I've created my own mythology for "The Carrion Kind" and how it ties into my Mordacious/Malara power struggle.

Even though I'm often too exhausted after work to even watch TV, I've now cleaned off my work table and started playing around with Super Glue.

I've thought about how I'd articulate them (and I don't really care about articulation) as well as extend the limbs.

I probably won't get the charms until February, but I'm sure I will start something over Christmas break.

You have inspired me!
I mean, I sat on that keychain for close to 5 years before doing something with it, so inspiration can come back randomly from a bits box!

I'm interested to see where you take your ideas!

Extending limbs should be pretty simple, all you need is a decent pin vise, a box of paper clips and some epoxy putty/greenstuff to sculpt new limbs. I personally used Alteco Epoxy Putty for DIY repairs since I like its strength. If you do buy one, make sure the Resin and Hardener tubes are separate and not mixed together, especially some of the plumber's putty which tends to heat up in a chemical reaction when mixed together.

I'd also advise in investing in some cheap silicone shapers. The one I linked is a cheap set of 5 I bought off Aliexpress and they've served me well in basic sculpting for two part putties, especially once you add some vaseline to get rid of the tackiness (I would especially suggest these getting both shapers and vaseline if you want to blend the putty smoothly onto the plastic)

If you need a good guide to work with epoxy putties/green stuff when sculpting for miniatures, Tom Mason has a phenomenal set of videos that can guide you through the process from building an armature all the way to muscle definition on a small scale.

If you're looking for ball-joints, I can vouch for the ones from Hobby Base, I've been using them in various projects for a decade and they've never let me down. Here's a link from Amazon since AmiAmi currently has its preorder list closed.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
I mean, I sat on that keychain for close to 5 years before doing something with it, so inspiration can come back randomly from a bits box!

I'm interested to see where you take your ideas!

Extending limbs should be pretty simple, all you need is a decent pin vise, a box of paper clips and some epoxy putty/greenstuff to sculpt new limbs. I personally used Alteco Epoxy Putty for DIY repairs since I like its strength. If you do buy one, make sure the Resin and Hardener tubes are separate and not mixed together, especially some of the plumber's putty which tends to heat up in a chemical reaction when mixed together.

I'd also advise in investing in some cheap silicone shapers. The one I linked is a cheap set of 5 I bought off Aliexpress and they've served me well in basic sculpting for two part putties, especially once you add some vaseline to get rid of the tackiness (I would especially suggest these getting both shapers and vaseline if you want to blend the putty smoothly onto the plastic)

If you need a good guide to work with epoxy putties/green stuff when sculpting for miniatures, Tom Mason has a phenomenal set of videos that can guide you through the process from building an armature all the way to muscle definition on a small scale.

If you're looking for ball-joints, I can vouch for the ones from Hobby Base, I've been using them in various projects for a decade and they've never let me down. Here's a link from Amazon since AmiAmi currently has its preorder list closed.

Hope that helps!
I've pondered that keychain a good long time myself. The closest I came was for a Konshu figure from Moon Knight, but my fodder was in another country at the time, and I never bothered to pick it up. I also found a realistic bird skull model in that scale that looked better.

For limb extension, I often use the plastic lollipop stems (Chuba Chupps) since they are thicker and save on using clay. I have a bunch of pin heads of different sizes to make my own ball joints. Now that I know to use a Superglue/Baking Soda/Graphite combination, they will be super strong.

I mostly use Milliput, as that is the cheapest/easiest product for me to buy. I've also used Greenstuff, but I think I've used all of it up. I don't like having sticky fingers so I never want to start a project. I'm fine once I get going though.

I bought a set of silicone shapers cheap off of Ebay. I need to practice with them more though.

This came in the mail yesterday.
I'll probably only use Shift's head though.

My Khrampus gifts!

I feel like the crow charms are smaller then I remembered. I'm not complaining as I think I can get more mileage out of these, but now I do need to revisit my concepts.

Back