CommTech Chips!

Reaction score
Re: Why no more CommTech chips?

IMHO, I am glad they eliminated these. The cost that these take up could be far better spent on accessories and articulation, as well as new head sculpts and such.

A decent idea, but most of the voices sounded more like my Grandma than the actual characters.

Reaction score
Commtech reader fun!

Recently while cleaning my 4 year old daughters room, I came across my old commtech reader. I turned it on and stated playing with it again! I got an urge to find all my old chips and had a fun afternoon with my daughter listening to them and playing star wars. Just thought I'd share.

GNT

Reaction score
Re: Commtech reader fun!

It's good to hear that you got some use out of them, most people just tossed them etc. I haven't played one in years!

Reaction score

I never picked up the Commtech reader ... even when stores were basically trying to give them away. I did, however, keep the Commtech chips. I use them as stands (when the need arises).

Reaction score

I have a Commetch Reader display from the stores I aquired a few years ago. I spent an afteroon, bored to tears, playing the chips. A good idea the execution wasn't quite there. Nor was the quality. If you read about the Generation 2 chips that were to be released with PotJ it indicates the chips were of a better sound quality.

Reaction score

Yeah, I would have liked to see these continue and evolve. I think they could have gotten them to be really good with some work and fine tuning.

Reaction score

CaptainAlex said:
If you read about the Generation 2 chips that were to be released with PotJ it indicates the chips were of a better sound quality.
I would hope so. They couldn't have gotten a whole lot worse.

Reaction score

What I thought was interesting about the CommTech sound quality was, when Rosie O'Donnell had Liam Neeson on her talk show during Phantom Menace's hype-filled press junkets, she had all the toys out, and mentioned the fact that his action figure could talk, and he VERY firmly insisted that was NOT his voice.

I never did understand why he was so vehement about it.

Alex

Reaction score

I kinda miss them.

They were a hell of a lot better than the force file slips of paper.

Shame they didn't make them for Ep3 because the technology is there to make them sound better now and there are so many classic lines in that movie.

Reaction score

i always thought it would be cool to just integrate the chips into the figures themselves and skip the stands all together - then you could just hold the comtech next to the fig and let it do it's thing.

Reaction score

New_Bornalex said:
What I thought was interesting about the CommTech sound quality was, when Rosie O'Donnell had Liam Neeson on her talk show during Phantom Menace's hype-filled press junkets, she had all the toys out, and mentioned the fact that his action figure could talk, and he VERY firmly insisted that was NOT his voice.

I never did understand why he was so vehement about it.

Alex
I think probably because they would have had to pay him to use his voice but instead got something or someone cheaper. Maybe Steven Hawking did it.

Reaction score
Re: What do you do with your Commtech Chips?

I remember when I was eleven, I used them as computer screens for my action figures when I used to play games.

I would create the Trade Federation bridge out of Jenga blocks-and use the comchips as consoles for my Nute and Rune

Reaction score

DarthHideous said:
Keep them stored away.
Same here. I use regular stands for all my displayed figures to get some harmony.

Reaction score

I store my chips in a big can.
And make sure there is no battery anymore in the reader so it can't leak and destroy internal things.

Reaction score

Still on the cards.

Reaction score

I have mine is a special fancy metal jar. Every so often I stumbled upon them plug them into the player and torture my dog with them.

I still half heartedly search for the version 2 chips.

Reaction score
CommTech / CommTalk language codes

Hello everybody ! although I am a daily Scum-visitor for more than 5 years, I never used the forum. Here's my first post !

I am a Star Wars 3,5" figure collector and my main focus is Episode I (figures and CommTech/CommTalk chips and I have a question about these chips.

As many of you might know, the CommTalk chips came in different languages. There's a number on the back which corresponds with the language the chip speaks:

.100 = German speaking chip
.101 = French speaking chip
.102 = English speaking chip
.103 = Italian speaking chip
.105 = Spanish speaking chip

Can someone tell me if a ".104" chip exists and what language would it speak ?

If you don't know what I am talking about, this picture will explain it.

I hope someone can help me out !

Reaction score
Re: CommTech / CommTalk language codes

DutchSWC said:
Hello everybody ! although I am a daily Scum-visitor for more than 5 years, I never used the forum. Here's my first post !

I am a Star Wars 3,5" figure collector and my main focus is Episode I (figures and CommTech/CommTalk chips and I have a question about these chips.

As many of you might know, the CommTalk chips came in different languages. There's a number on the back which corresponds with the language the chip speaks:

.100 = German speaking chip
.101 = French speaking chip
.102 = English speaking chip
.103 = Italian speaking chip
.105 = Spanish speaking chip

Can someone tell me if a ".104" chip exists and what language would it speak ?

If you don't know what I am talking about, this picture will explain it.

I hope someone can help me out !
I collect the loose chips so I was not aware of the identification numbers on the carded ones. Nice piece of information! Don't know if .104 exists but am currious to find out also.

Reaction score

That is interesting information & a great question.

For other information on CommTech/CommTalk chips including the unproduced 2nd generation chips & reader, check out:
CommTechGuide.com

Reaction score

Thanks for the input guys. The Japanese version is just the US packaging / chip with a sticker on the back.

There is one language that IS on the Euro cardbacks but i've never seen a CommTalk chip with that language: it's Dutch
I guess there aren't enough people over here to produce the chips for. Could it be possible that they planned to do this but later cancelled it ?! It would explain the missing language code and the one missing language!

If they had just asked me! I know I could immitate Mandrell or Amidala better than the "voice actors" that did the voices on the chips

Reaction score

To be honest, I'd hate to have my SW figures speak Dutch
or any other language besides Galactic Basic or SW alien tongues

Reaction score

I got a Sio Bibble in an Ep. 1 lot of eGay and he speaks French.

Reaction score

echoplex said:
I got a Sio Bibble in an Ep. 1 lot of eGay and he speaks French.
funniest typo I've seen in a while.....................

Reaction score
Spanish CommTech chips

Hi guys,

What market was this made for?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110020300826&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

The card looks pretty much the same as the Canadian version but bottom left, where it tells you the language of the chip there is only one line (in Spanish). All the Canadian cards I have seen have 3 lines in 3 different languages.

So are these cards made for the Spanish market (or perhaps even South America)? I got Nute, Yoda, Destroyer Droid and Watto as cool card variations for my E1 collection but it would be great if anyone knows a little more about them.

Yak

Reaction score
Re: Spanish CommTech chips

Spain - I bought few in toysrus Barcelona

Reaction score

I bougth a lot of those here in Mexico a few years ago,
so I suppose they where released in most of the latin american countries.

Yak

Reaction score

Bizzarley I think we can deduce that the Spanish comtech chips were made for Spaish speaking countries!!! Unbelievable

/sarcastic mode

Reaction score

Yak said:
Bizzarley I think we can deduce that the Spanish comtech chips were made for Spaish speaking countries!!! Unbelievable

/sarcastic mode
that is a good one

Reaction score
New Commtech chips?

I was wondering if anyone else out there has some prototypes of the new commtech chips they almost released after the Episode 1 run of figures. They were oval shaped. I have some, but I was wondering how many different ones were out there?

Reaction score
Re: New Commtech chips?

I believe there were only 3, and the only one I can think of off the bat was Chewbacca (Dejarik). They were set to be in the POTF2 Commtech line, but the figures were delayed and released in the POTJ line instead.

Gorkoracing has some I think. I'm sure he'll chime in eventually

Reaction score

Yes Robert has a great guide for these chips that he linked above. There are actually quite a few different ones as his link shows. I've got 2 of the chewbacca chips and one prototype shell chip. I'm looking to get some more of them though as I really like these. Which ones do you have isean? Interested in parting with them as i'd happily trade with ya or buy them from you.

Pics of mine can be seen here:
www.geocities.com/gorkoracing/prototypes.html

Reaction score

I've got 5 of them, Chewbacca, Shmi Skywalker, Obi-wan (Alec Guiness), Nute Gunray (Holo), and Darth Maul. I like them, too, so I'm not sure if I want to get rid of them or not (PM me an offer and I'll think about it...), but it does look like there are a lot more of them out there than I thought! Anyway, here's a picture of them.

Reaction score

isean said:
I've got 5 of them, Chewbacca, Shmi Skywalker, Obi-wan (Alec Guiness), Nute Gunray (Holo), and Darth Maul. I like them, too, so I'm not sure if I want to get rid of them or not (PM me an offer and I'll think about it...), but it does look like there are a lot more of them out there than I thought! Anyway, here's a picture of them.

pm sent

Reaction score

There's a turn up - didn't think there were too many of these around!